• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shannara Chronicles |OT| MTV - High Fantasy (ft. Crixus & DJ Douche) - Tue 10/9c

I'm caught up! The last episode was awesome. One of my favorites this season. The two death sisters (or whatever they're called) were pretty cool too.

Sober

Finale was okay. Almost makes me want to wonder how S2 would work, but I fear it would be more like S1, which I completely hated besides the premiere and finale. Because how the show operates is pretty dumb on a week to week basis.

I feel like they're squandering the best thing which is probably Austin Butler and Manu Bennett acting off one another. Like some of the best parts of the series is when those two are together, which to no surprise is the premiere and finale.

Bandon escaping is dumb because it literally involves a battered woman not knowing any better.

You can spoil me or whatever but does that end the adaptation part of the series or would there conceivably be more to come?

Also the action scenes were pretty good. Kinda dumb how the elf commander died.

And I noticed a few obvious Spartacus callbacks - KILL THEM ALL, the brother killing brother execution, and the arm shake.

Pretty sure the big ditch the two armies stared across was the same ditch Amberle had to jump in the premiere as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep, that was the explanation in the books. The whole thing is cyclical, when the mythical age of the elves ends humans take more and more ground and elves just go into hiding, then the humans wipe most of themselves out in war, and the elves come back.

That's what I liked about Brooks's books, you could start at the apocalypse, or legendary times, or human times, and it would still look like a full circle no matter where you started or ended.
Yep, basically what LordOfChaos said. First it was elves and other races, that was known as the Age of Faerie, and only one of those creatures still exist. After the Elves lost most of their magic when they created the Ellcrys, Man came about and they didn't really want anything to do with us. The prequel novels that take place 100 years after WWIII details the Elves coming back. With the Elves and Humans, and the other species that branched off, living together magic and science exist at the same time. About 200 years after this season ends, the Rovers create airships and things take off from there.
Huh, I guess that's fine. I suppose I could ask where elves hide or why they wouldn't want to be a part of the world just because humans are around (perhaps they can stop humanity from wiping themselves out or use some of the human technology to protect themselves against demons instead of just a magic tree), but it's probably not that important. lol

You can spoil me or whatever but does that end the adaptation part of the series or would there conceivably be more to come?
The finale was the end of the book. The biggest change was Eretria being captured by the Trolls. In the book she was with Wil and Amberle all the way to the end.
She and Wil get married and have two kids, Brin and Jair. The next book, The Wishsong of Shannara, follows them.

Huh, I guess that's fine. I suppose I could ask where elves hide or why they wouldn't want to be a part of the world just because humans are around (perhaps they can stop humanity from wiping themselves out or use some of the human technology to protect themselves against demons instead of just a magic tree), but it's probably not that important. lol
In the prequels, the Elves are in Oregon hiding in the forests. As for why they didn't want anything to do with humans, the best I can come up with is that their victory over the demons was a pyrrhic one. They lost their magic and were the only faerie creatures left.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Just watched the finale. I laughed at the line from the king: "Your princess is out there, scared, giving everything she has to save us all. We must match her bravery with our own."

Gurl is having sex with Will, yeah she brave...

Watched the finally and.... BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Okay I'll probably be back for season two or at least part of it but damn the stuff that was added to appeal to their target demo was awful.

Rodin

I wish they didn't turn bandon into the new villain, easily one of the least likeable characters i've ever seen. Catania, you beautiful idiot, you just ruined season 2. Which by the way will be entirely made up given how the book ended.

Aside from the bandon stuff and the hot commander getting killed for no real reason other than increasing the body count, the finale was pretty great. Overall i didn't particularly like the series, it started off pretty good but turned into trash in the middle of it. Episode 9 must be one of the most awful pieces of television i've ever seen (again mostly thanks to bandon and partially to the stupid fight between eretria and amberle, which was terribly written and completely out of place), and 5-6 weren't that better. Which is why i don't think i'll watch season 2, maybe i would have given it the benefit of the doubt, but you know. Bandon.

The best things about the series are Allanon, the setting (i think the cycle and humans ruins stuff are really, really great) and the effects, which are pretty high budget for a tv series. The world is just stunning.

It's not enough though, i expected the series to be way better considering how it started, but they fucked it up every single time they could.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just watched the finale. I laughed at the line from the king: "Your princess is out there, scared, giving everything she has to save us all. We must match her bravery with our own."

Gurl is having sex with Will, yeah she brave...
Yeah, I guess they needed an excuse to show one sex scene between them to keep the triangle going. I find it funny how WIll just gave up on the human girl the moment the elf girl was ready to have sex with him.

In the prequels, the Elves are in Oregon hiding in the forests. As for why they didn't want anything to do with humans, the best I can come up with is that their victory over the demons was a pyrrhic one. They lost their magic and were the only faerie creatures left.
So they're like literally one of those lost tribes in the Amazon that have somehow not been noticed by anyone? You'd think keeping the humans from killing themselves and ushering the age of demons spawning from trees would be enough motivation to get them to intervene, but yeah. lol

So they're like literally one of those lost tribes in the Amazon that have somehow not been noticed by anyone? You'd think keeping the humans from killing themselves and ushering the age of demons spawning from trees would be enough motivation to get them to intervene, but yeah. lol

Basically, also they didn't know the Ellcrys would eventually die. By the time WWIII happens, the war with the demons are a myth that no elf actually believes.

Parch

Was curious about the season finale so I watched. Didn't feel like I missed much.
Loverboy dorks the princess and a B-grade LOTR orc battle. Surprise Surprise.
I had forgotten how bad the overacting was. Are they really going to have a second season of this?

Liked the production values, the cinematography, Allanon, and the CGI. The love triangle was barftastic. The "to be continued" at the end I guess confirms a 2nd season.

LordOfChaos

Was really hoping the finale would be more redemptive, but yeah, the show pretty well killed most of what made me love the book.

At least I can say this, if you were moderately interested in the show and haven't read the books, it's a good read. May want to start with Sword of Shannara instead of Elfstones, weird the show started without so much of the preface.

Was really hoping the finale would be more redemptive, but yeah, the show pretty well killed most of what made me love the book.

At least I can say this, if you were moderately interested in the show and haven't read the books, it's a good read. May want to start with Sword of Shannara instead of Elfstones, weird the show started without so much of the preface.

Sword is a straight up ripoff of LotR, so using that as background info was the smart move. It was the "we need to market this to our teenage market so let's add a love triangle at every opportunity" that made things meh.

LordOfChaos

Sword is a straight up ripoff of LotR, so using that as background info was the smart move. It was the "we need to market this to our teenage market so let's add a love triangle at every opportunity" that made things meh.

That's true, he did start off fairly generic and then started to change things more. But for a reader I think it's good background to Elfstones. I read these in like grade 8 though so...Holy crap, 11 odd years ago? Not sure how they aged for an adult reader.

That's true, he did start off fairly generic and then started to change things more. But for a reader I think it's good background to Elfstones. I read these in like grade 8 though so...Holy crap, 11 odd years ago? Not sure how they aged for an adult reader.

I'm going to guess poorly. I tried a sample of Sword when I heard this was going to be coming out and I couldn't finish even the sample. Now, I hadn't been exposed to the series when I was younger, so there isn't any history or nostalgia there for me but I am big into Sci Fi and Fantasy and don't particularly mind stories that are considered YA or YA friendly (Golden Compass series, Mistborn, The Reckoners, etc...). I loved The Hobbit and LOTR as a kid and can still read them today but that might be a case of nostalgia. So I'm going to guess that at least that first book doesn't do well for an adult first time reader.

As for the show... I thought it was ok. I didn't find the Triangle stuff too egregious but I also watch The 100, Arrow, and Flash so I'm used to the CW romance tropes (and this show was a bit less heavy handed here than typical CW style). Action set pieces and costumes were about what I'd expect for a show of this scale and SFX were ok. Overall it's not amazing but not bad and the overall premise is interesting enough for me to continue watching.

Okay I'll probably be back for season two or at least part of it but damn the stuff that was added to appeal to their target demo was awful.

This is pretty much how I feel. I know it's MTV so it had lots of sappy love fest stuff and teen angst, but damn. Hopefully they draw it back next season.

I had no problems with the changes as Elfstones wasn't very cinematically written. So a lot had to be changed. But maybe the music could be a tad better at some parts. Run boy run?

Beefy

I liked it but as others have said there are a few cringy parts. I will be in for season 2 but don't know if I can handle the stuff added to get teens to watch. The production/CGI were amazing though. The music was also good until for some reason they played Run Boy Run? Which felt way out of place.

I thought the voice sounded familiar but I just now realized that the guy playing the elf king is the same actor that played Gimli in Lord of the Rings.
mindblown.png

Kinda odd that it took them this long to come to a decision (or announce that decision.) With effects, stunts, costumes, and the like, the show must have a lengthy production cycle each season.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Now fix the script and pacing issues and we got ourselves a winner!

Kinda odd that it took them this long to come to a decision (or announce that decision.) With effects, stunts, costumes, and the like, the show must have a lengthy production cycle each season.

Most likely waiting for everyone (including overseas licensing broadcasters) to commit if season 2 were to be greenlight - it's the most expensive TV show for MTV, need that overseas moolah

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, I think I liked the idea of the show more than I liked the show itself. Will tune into Season 2 if the reviews are off the charts but I doubt it.

I wouldn't have any expectations for the writing improving or for any attempts to appeal to a broader or more grown up audience beyond the tween/teen girl demo the show is primarily geared towards.

Sober

Yeah, I think I liked the idea of the show more than I liked the show itself. Will tune into Season 2 if the reviews are off the charts but I doubt it.
Basically I sorta wish the show became its own thing instead of being a mee-too direct adaptation of the source material.

RPGCrazied

Just saw the news! So hype. Lets try to turn down the sex scenes down. This isn't game of thrones. Oh, and some of the music don't fit the show. But the production values are top notch.

I liked season 1 a lot.

RPGCrazied

Sorry to bump the thread, but I recently got the DVD of season 1. Kind of disappointed with the video quality, why was this not released on bluray??

Nosgotham

just binged it on netflix. i was very pleasantly surprised. a few cringey moments but iverall pretty badass. i think i like any show Crixus is in.

batbeg

Just watched this the past few days on Netflix. I rather enjoyed it, the premiere and finale being excellent and the rest fairly good with a brisk pace I hadn't expected, although what felt like a severely limited range of geography (for a story taking place on earth I feel like everything of interest is like 5 minutes away apparently).

I felt really really bad for Ander in that finale. Like damn.
Everyone he loved is dead except his niece who turned into a tree.

Honestly I had to stop after 20 minutes. Looked like a budget OC with elf ears. Am I wrong?

As someone above said it isn't as egregious as the CW shows I watch, the teen appeal seemed shoehorned and unnatural but was easy to ignore for me.

The Hobo

I started watching this show back in September and it's taken me until now to finish it. It started well enough but when Alanon revealed he would't be going with them, I lost a lot of interest. The most badass character being on the sidelines all season was disappointing.

The love triangle did nothing for me, and the constant appearances of stuff from our world constantly dampened the fantasy elements for me. That human settlement with Star Trek playing was jarring as hell.

At least the love triangle is more. No doubt that won't stop the CW level drama, sadly.

Show ruins one of my most beloved childhood book series. Too much MTV teeny angst drama for me (I imagine I'm not the target audience). They would do well to have some flashbacks of Wil's father Shea in the next season to add more context to what's happening.
I'll give it one more chance not to suck.

MysticX

well, just finished it on netflix and wow....this show had so much promise...and with manu-man...but all this puppy love crap and childish way of things kinda ruined it for me

the love triangle was just awkward....the guy was screwing the both girls...and it´s like he couldn´t decide which to hang on to...then when the one dies...or does most likely...he´s like oh well, I have the other one....then when the other one goes and he goes all puppy crazy and crying, he then goes to rescue the other one...like oh well, let´s hope eretria is still alive...

felt sad that john rhys davies had to die and will not be with us for the second season..

stupid blonde....what is it with women when they have a crush on someone...they tend to do all these foolish things!

Just burned through this in the past few days on Netflix. Very enjoyable if flawed. If a casual viewer was unaware of the setting then some of the locations and items might be jarring but I kinda dig that they didn't waste time trying to pad out episodes to get to the magic 22/23 rather than 10.

Shame
Amberley
won't be back, she was actually pretty good. Looking forward to session two.

Decado

Kinda enjoyed the first season. Hope this is good, though I'd have been happier if it moved to a pay cable or streeming service. Spike...

Apoc29

First season seemed like years ago. I've already forgotten the main plot points. I think there's an army of orcs or something.

I'm in. Despite the flaws of the first season I enjoyed it (I am a bit biased however). Did they show the Skull Kingdom? It was a quick shot but it look a lot like it.

Top Bottom