• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 6 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuktu

All good points. I just wish they didn't frame Sansa as the smart, level-headed one who won the battle.

I know this is what they are going for but it came across to be of being vengeful and complete disregard for Jon. Realistically, I would expect Jon and their allies to not forgive her for withholding information from them. That other Lord was pissed off that Robb used their men for his wars and pissed away their lives, Sansa did pretty much the same. She used Rickon to get Jon to fight, but then didn't care for his death. If Ramsey only got men out of fear, having a better parity of numbers may have got some of them to defect. They got lucky LF arrived at the right time.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I know this is what they are going for but it came across to be of being vengeful and complete disregard for Jon. Realistically, I would expect Jon and their allies to not forgive her for withholding information from them. That other Lord was pissed off that Robb used their men for his wars and pissed away their lives, Sansa did pretty much the same. She used Rickon to get Jon to fight, but then didn't care for his death. If Ramsey only got men out of fear, having a better parity of numbers may have got some of them to defect. They got lucky LF arrived at the right time.

Thats how i initially read it but ive come around to Sansa point of view after mulling it over. Had she told Jon about the Vale reinforcements their plan of attack on Ramsey would have altered and Ramsey would have adjusted accordingly.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
One thing I do want to know is how Sansa ended up being there with Little Finger. Did he detour at the camp to pick her up? Did she know he was coming and met him at a predetermined location? She was pretty adamant that Ramsay would die that day, and if she thought that Jon was making a mistake and falling into Ramsay's trap, she wouldn't be so confident of his death. If he picked her up from the campsite, how come Mel and Lady Mormot didn't come and take in the spectacle of Ramsay's army being routed?

On another note, how on earth did men on foot catch up to Ramsay so fast? Wun Wun and Co made it to the gates within minutes of Ramsay who was on horse back. Littleginger already handing out portable teleportation devices lol.

Timbuktu

Thats how i initially read it but ive come around to Sansa point of view after mulling it over. Had she told Jon about the Vale reinforcements their plan of attack on Ramsey would have altered and Ramsey would have adjusted accordingly.

That is not trusting Jon and the others for being willing to spring Ramsey's trap with the minimal loss, with the Vale riding in later. They would still have a strategic advantage knowing something Ramsey didn't. Jon and the northern allies should be alienated by her decision causing them to lose men unnecessarily, but I guess the show will gloss over this unless Jon recognise what happened and tries to instill some humanity back into her.

televator

Damn, Jon paid a great price to capture Winterfell. Now he's got no army to fight the Walkers. I bet Petyr will want Sansa to marry him now. He's also gonna want Jon dead, I'm sure. There's still the matter of the crown's role in all this. I truly suspect Tommen will want to make amends to the Starks, but someone will have to declare Jon a legitimate Stark.

I wonder how Davos will confront Meli about the burning of the princess? Straight up murdering someone doesn't seem like his way of doing things. He will want some sort of payback though.

RIP in peace giant. I really hope he wasn't the last of his kind. They're gonna need a bigger fire for his funeral... You'd think he could have just jumped over the enemy formation though. Huh.

I was really hoping it would be ghost to finish off Ramsay, but Sansa's twist wasn't bad. Rickon died just as I predicted. He was dead the moment Ramsay got him. Turmond lives another day so he can win over Brienne with his wildlings charms! She'll come around. lol

Danny finally putting the dragons to good use. God damn, those things are awesome as fuck! Silly old masters. "Dragons beneath the pyramid will be slaughtered." Bitch please. Although, I did predict that those 2 dragons would die. I wasn't expecting the dragons to start obeying Danny just out of plot convenience.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Finally convinced my sister to watch Game of Thrones, we stopped mid-way into episode 3 cus she got tired and it's almost 3 am but she's hooked now. She actually sobbed when Lady got killed in episode 2, I can't wait to see her reaction when Ned gets killed, it's how to crush her.

Kevtones

I had to smile at how Ramsey gets at everyone. He doesn't give a shit.

And you just knew it too. I would've preferred a bitchy-y death for Ramsey in some actually.

He's just such a craving button-presser of a man that insignificance or something less would've been his just fit. Not satisfying but equitable.

Timbuktu

Damn, Jon paid a great price to capture Winterfell. Now he's got no army to fight the Walkers. I bet Petyr will want Sansa to marry him now. He's also gonna want Jon dead, I'm sure. There's still the matter of the crown's role in all this. I truly suspect Tommen will want to make amends to the Starks, but someone will have to declare Jon a legitimate Stark.

Jon's losses are surprisingly light for me, none of his friends with speaking roles died (RIP Wun Wun), Ghost is still chill in' somewhere, he only really lost Rickon. The army is most of an abstract and can easily be dealt with in a few lines of dialogue such as other northern houses coming round to their side. King's Landing is enough of a mess that I don't expect anyone to really take notice of what happened up north.

Crispy75

Never read the books so this is just from the show but my understanding was basically Jon Arryn whose death begins the series figured out the "Baratheon" children were not Robert's. He then tracks down the bastards that could be legitimized but before he can present this evidence and have Robert if he listens disown those children and legitamize a true heir Cersei and Jaime find out and kill him.
This is what Ned discovers. Littlefinger hints at it to help him figure it out. "He began asking the wrong questions."

But we later find out (just before he pushes her out of the moon door) that Lysa Arran had her husband killed. Littlefinger convinced her to do it. The whole thing was his plan to pit the great houses against each other so he could take advantage of the chaos.

Einchy

This is what Ned discovers. Littlefinger hints at it to help him figure it out. "He began asking the wrong questions."

But we later find out (just before he pushes her out of the moon door) that Lysa Arran had her husband killed. Littlefinger convinced her to do it. The whole thing was his plan to pit the great houses against each other so he could take advantage of the chaos.

I hate that when that was revealed, I couldn't remember who Jon Arryn was so that went over my head, it was only after forum discussion that it hit me. It's maybe one of the most important moments in the show's history since it means everyone was being played by Littlefinger.

Matty77

yeah I forgot that until I saw a later post, that was a much later revalation and I feel like an idiot for forgetting it. Even with that though the fact the king can legitamize a bastard in no way makes season 1 impossible.

Thanks for clarifying that, I feel like an idiot but I would rather be reminded. Don't know how I forgot because that scene was such an "Oh shit" moment.

T-Rex.

Banned
Ramsay won me over in the scene where Winterfell was breached lmao. "Ok, I've reconsidered" :lol

Is there a gif anywhere of Melisandre's shit eating grin at the Stark banners being raised?

Einchy

Ramsay won me over in the scene where Winterfell was breached lmao. "Ok, I've reconsidered" :lol

Is there a gif anywhere of Melisandre's shit eating grin at the Stark banners being raised?

He was smiling and being a royal prick even when his face was being beaten into a pulp. Ramsay Bolton being Ramsay Bolton even to the last moment.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Why the hell would Ramsay shoot Wun Wun when Jon was standing right next to him and he had a clean shot?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why the hell would Ramsay shoot Wun Wun when Jon was standing right next to him and he had a clean shot?
Ramsay knew it wouldn't work. Jon dodged how many waves of mass arrows? Even with his archery there was no way he was punching through Jon's plot armor.

Zereta

The part where he goes to save him is understandable. The part where he charges the entire army like he's going to solo them is the asinine part.

It felt like the show wanted to remind you that as much as you hate Ramsay Snow, he can be cunning and he knows what buttons to push. The fact that Sansa warned Jon and Jon still fell for it shows us how capable Sansa is, how ruthless Ramsay is and how out of his league Jon was in this fight (hence further strengthening Sansa's position) but still adds to Jon's baddassery, showing him fight an impossible fight like a boss.

Einchy

If you remove Jon being lucky and being able to survive this battle and make the battle more"realistic" then this episode is much less interesting because now we no longer follow Jon through the battle, now Jon stays in the back and watches. Sometimes you gotta sacrifice a bit of realism for the sakes of better storytelling and sometimes you gotta let characters do something "dumb" because they're not always going to be calm and do the smart thing.

Einchy

Would you say he made a giant mistake?

(I'll let myself out)

GV9lf5e.gif

Jumeira

Banned
Incredible Episode, Jon is probably the most inspiring leader in this Kingdom, doesn't just talk he gets in there and is absolutely fearless - even Ramsey remarks to his exellent swordsmanship. Not the best tactician like his brother Rob, but man can he get the soldiers riled up.

His men mustve loved the way he slowly, fearlessly moved towards Ramsey at the end of the battle, and pummeled the shit out of him. What a payoff, something ive been waiting for since the Red Wedding. Stark banner once again reigns over Winterfell, what a fantastic moment. There were high fives all round in my house when we saw that, Wife was jumping up and down haha!! That was magic right there.

If you remove Jon being lucky and being able to survive this battle and make the battle for "realistic" then this episode is much less interesting because now we no longer follow Jon through the battle, now Jon stays in the back and watches the battle. Sometimes you gotta sacrifice a bit of realism for the sakes of better storytelling and sometimes you gotta let characters do something "dumb" because they're not always going to be calm and do the smart thing.

Armies in the north not believing in the Starks was, i thought realistic - And Jon tapped into something very human, we can all relate to it. He came back from the dead and is protected by the Lord of Light (or some higher entity) so its fairly easy to reconcile with his 'luck'. But i was on the edge of my seat as i was expecting him to be cut down, its GoT, but like any war, there are moments of extraordinary glory, Jon had that in the battle of the bastards.

I'm a bit disappointed how they handled Rickkon. He was gone, did some stuff we'll never know, he died.

Yeah. Not to mention they made him run like he got that Bethesda gamebryo companion AI.. Dude knew he was getting hunted with an arrow and still ran in a path that could not have been any more straight even if he tried to. I was like bruh do some a bit of misdirection.

I was thinking "please don't die" during the cavalry charge, when he was trapped under the bodies, and when he was hovering over Ramsay (Mountain vs. Oberyn trauma). I went into the battle almost certain Jon would be okay, but ended up being a nervous mess for almost all of it.

Same, I was actually biting my nails lol, incredible episode.

I had actually been spoiled about Ramsey dying before watching the episode due to some prick on the latest John Oliver video having the very first comment be "That Ramsey death tho" but even so the episode was tense as hell since they did such a great job at making it seem like Jon could have died also.

Absolutely fantastic episode though, GoT really does have the best production going on any show. Also didnt have a problem with Jon breaking ranks, i mean i was there shouting at him not to do it lol but i understood it.

This episode has had the Captain America Civil War effect on me in that as great as this was, it makes me realise 'We still have the war with the White Walkers/Infinity Gauntlet still to come". Shits going to be craaazy.

Also the moment with the dragons breaking out of their cell to help out was a serious 'fuck yeah' moment, bout time those poor things got out and were free.

Now the sad realisation that we only have 1 episode left for this season and that we most likely arent even going to get a full season next year. Im sure it will be worth it though.

Also i cant wait for this show to be over, just for the fact that i need to blu rays for this yet my wife is refusing to buy them until they have some mega collection of the whole show. I know she regrets us not buying the big xenomorph head Alien collection on DVD when we had the chance to buy it cheap so she is determined to get this show in the mega collection variety.

MedicUnderFire

Neo Member
Amazing episode, those were some tense 60 minutes and it was beautifully shot.

Now what's the chance of Jon and Sansa giving Tormund all of the Umbers castle and lands, he did kill the current lord and I wonder whats gonna happen with the karstarks as well.

Einchy

Amazing episode, those were some tense 60 minutes and it was beautifully shot.

Now what's the chance of Jon and Sansa giving Tormund all of the Umbers castle and lands, he did kill the current lord and I wonder whats gonna happen with the karstarks as well.

People calling Tormund "my lord" would be the funniest shit.

Rikkon deserved to die more then Ramsey. Zig-zag motherfucker! Probably the most frustrating scene since that one in Prometheus.

Honestly though, Ramsey's death was more satisfying than I expected. Making him believe he was going to die by his own hands right before he did was pretty good. The whole second half of this episode was crazy good, the camera work expecially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom