• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will be the next Game of Thrones? A list of candidates from the fantasy genre

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Malazan will never catch the appeal of GoT if it was adapted.
Ever. Sorry. It's never going to fucking happen with that writing.

Sanderson will get a film made at some point in the future.
Mark my words on that.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Out of that list, I'd sign up for a well done Dragonlance series. They could leave out a lot of (expensive) stuff and still have a great plot to work with.

They did an animated Autumn Twilight movie a few years ago and it was a farce and they abandoned all plans to do the rest of the series. They had a pretty good voice cast (Kiefer Sutherland was Raistlin), but the animation was horrible and a mix of pseudo-hand drawn stuff for the main characters and some of the worst CGI I've ever seen for dragons and draconians.

Moff

i would definitely go with the witcher. done right that could be a huge hit. I think its a very easy to access world and setting with a very charismatic hero, a lot of fun characters and tons of pretty girls.

Furio53

I'd like to see The Black Company turned into a HBO-like tv series.

It's not too heavy on the "magic" stuff until later.

Eidan

The_First_Law_covers.jpg

Is the best choice, but i was hoping for a movie trilogy instead of a TV show.

I love Abercrombie. I'd also prefer a movie trilogy, but only if they had the courage to actually make them R.

I think a good mistborn series would pretty much have to be animated. You cant do the battles any ounce of justice in live action.

Palmer_v1

Malazan will never catch the appeal of GoT.

Mark my words on that.

I definitely agree tha Sanderson will have movies based on his books at some point. Maybe TV shows as well. Whether they're very successful is a different matter.

kswiston

Sanderson's Legion seems like it would make for a decent TV series. You wouldn't need an astronomical budget, and the premise lends itself to episodic content.

slade

Guy Kay's Sarantium Mosaic seems the best bet IMO. It has politics over fantasy which was a big attractor for fans of both the ASoIaF books and the show. With proper restructuring you could even set it up as a historical drama. Then do a lead in to a standalone season of Lions of Al Rasan.

Yonafunu

Malazan will never catch the appeal of GoT.

Mark my words on that.

What's wrong with the writing in Malazan? I'm reading Gardens of the Moon at the moment and I'm loving it.

A Stormlight Archives film would be awesome. That world deserves the biggest budget it can get.

Honestly, I'm just glad The Kingkiller Chronicles isn't on that list.

studyguy

I definitely agree tha Sanderson will have movies based on his books at some point. Maybe TV shows as well. Whether they're very successful is a different matter.

His books are basically a popcorn action flick already depending on the title. The narratives are easy enough to follow and the worlds are fleshed out enough to build on. It feels like the easiest transitions.

Mistborn already has a videogame in the works btw and Stormlight has some animated short planned apparently.

What's wrong with the writing in Malazan? I'm reading Gardens of the Moon at the moment and I'm loving it.

Bruh, bruh.. come one. I love Malazan but Erikson writes his books like a historical narrative that's easily lost on readers who can't follow along with the darting plot points. Timeframes are fuzzy, stories leap arcs of time, places and characters so fast that I have a hard time believing a show would keep up with it much less viewers.

UraMallas

The Blade Itself is a lot closer to the GOT feel than any of the others. Not that a TV series would have to have that feel to succeed; I think the market would be ready for something different.

Malazan would probably suck as an adaptation, unless it was changed so much that it wouldn't be Malazan. It's probably the least budget-friendly of any of the listed candidates, and the dialogue, characters, plot complexity, and pacing would all have to be drastically changed to make a watchable TV show.
You stole my exact post word-for-word. GET OUT IF MY HEAD

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Who the fuck wrote this insipid tripe? I notice you didn't link to the original article, but that's probably a good thing since it's like clickbait garbage.

Operating in the much-ridiculed milieu of heroic fantasy, Game of Thrones had the makings of an insta-flop when it arrived in 2011.
Uhhh no. Like Famassu said, GoT is not heroic fantasy at all, and it actually stood out among the fantasy genre as being more mature and intelligent than the usual fireball-throwing wizards and goblins and elves stuff.

Adapted from George RR Martin's bodice-and-chainmail-ripping novels, the series featured portentous dialogue and a cast of largely unwashed characters disembowelling one another with broadswords.
Yeah, that's like, totally an accurate description of those novels, amirite lawl. What a clueless twit.

But though TV producers have borrowed from the Game of Thrones aesthetic, they are still reluctant to follow HBO down the rabbit-hole of fantastical plots, into the rich, ridiculous world of swords and sorcery. Here are fantasy novels which, adroitly reinterpreted for television, could succeed on the scale of Game of Thrones.
...And then he proceeds to list a bunch of high fantasy series that are heavy on magic and fantastical elements. Derp?

Also:
Magician (Raymond E Feist)

Lusty and ludicrous, Feist's 1982 novel and its sequels rival Game of Thrones for violence and sex.
...........Whaaaaaaat

(That's where I stopped reading, I think. What a dumb article.)

Umh, has the writer of this piece ever watched even a second of Game of Thrones or read more than the prologue of the first book? This is just blatantly false:

The reason why both ASOIAF & GOT have gotten such a great response from readers & tv viewers alike is because it's NOT operating in the "much-ridiculed milieu of heroic fantasy". Even the very few tropes the franchises has are often turned upside down and bastardized sideways.
Yeah, dude's a moron, no doubt about it. But to answer the actual question of what could succeed GoT, I'd say, maybe an adaptation of Gentlemen Bastards or The First Law could come close. Maybe Robin Hobb's Farseer?

First Law would definitely need to be on HBO or Showtime, though. Neutering it for cable or worse, Fox and the likes by making it PG-13 would be quite tragic.

I feel like this series could adapt to TV pretty well.
5Y2fhMh.jpg
Yeah. But the problem would be in adapting the flashbacks. They're quite important to the plot, but they'd have to be recurring from season to season, and with child actors that'd be difficult to pull off.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I'd like to see something not European based esthetically for a change

cuz anything alike will be branded(right or not) as a "GoT wanna be"

studyguy

I'd like to see something not European based esthetically for a change

cuz anything alike will be branded(right or not) as a "GoT wanna be"

I could see people calling a The Blade Itself adaptation a grittier Game of Thrones.
Like for real. Low fantasty is great, but I agree the general audience not in the know would probably lump a lot of them together pretty quick.

Yonafunu

Bruh, bruh.. come one. I love Malazan but Erikson writes his books like a historical narrative that's easily lost on readers who can't follow along with the darting plot points. Timeframes are fuzzy, stories leap arcs of time, places and characters so fast that I have a hard time believing a show would keep up with it much less viewers.

Well, this is my first encounter with his writing, and while it took some getting used to, I'm having zero problems following everything by now. I keep hearing how it's supposed to be hard to follow and confusing etc, but I having experienced that at all.

Mind you, like I said, this is my first time reading Erikson, so maybe that's still to come.

studyguy

Well, this is my first encounter with his writing, and while it took some getting used to, I'm having zero problems following everything by now. I keep hearing how it's supposed to be hard to follow and confusing etc, but I having experienced that at all.

Mind you, like I said, this is my first time reading Erikson, so maybe that's still to come.

More to the point is that he never focuses on a central narrative for long enough to catch anything more than a glimpse of the full scale. When you piece things together, it works beautifully, but in the sense of an adaptation to the big screen it'd simply be butchered. I can't see any medium but in writing that could accommodate his style in a way that would do it justice.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
The Black Company begs for adaptation ... it's perfect for it ...
That would actually be a pretty good adaptation. It never goes off the rails with the fantasy and it retains some very film-able drama and action.

Come on Romance of the Three Kingdoms HBO show

The world is ready to see your benevolence Liu Bei
I liked the 2010 series, but I don't know if they've done a translation or even a fansub. It was soapy, but it was basically a "Hey It's That Guy" tour de force if you watch modern Chinese TV or cinema at all.

They did an animated Autumn Twilight movie a few years ago and it was a farce and they abandoned all plans to do the rest of the series. They had a pretty good voice cast (Kiefer Sutherland was Raistlin), but the animation was horrible and a mix of pseudo-hand drawn stuff for the main characters and some of the worst CGI I've ever seen for dragons and draconians.

You just reminded me that this existed. I'm sad now.

I really think that the passionate and outspoken fanbase is what gave GoT its initial thrust into the mainstream and then the amazing acting and direction carried it off. Dragonlance fans have had their spirits broken ages ago.

DrSlek

Magician and the riftwar books are pretty good. I'd probably lean in that direction after The Witcher series.

Fuck that first sentence, the books are amazing and the first season was an almost straight adaptation. It succeeded because both the show and the source material are great.

Durask

Malazan will never catch the appeal of GoT if it was adapted.

Finally someone agrees that Malazan books are great if you are into world building, but the writing itself is atrocious.

Durask

Who the fuck wrote this insipid tripe? I notice you didn't link to the original article, but that's probably a good thing since it's like clickbait garbage.

Yeah, it is worthless clickbait.

GoT is essentially a grimdark Middle Ages period piece with some magic sprinkled on top, Sopranos with Swords, etc, this is why it is so successful.

All the titles listed above will fail utterly and horribly at attracting mass audience.

xbhaskarx

So this is the next thing they're going to run into the ground now that they're done with vampires and zombie crap?

batbeg

I would fucking love The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant to find a good adaptation. Those books are fucking crazy.

kswiston

That would actually be a pretty good adaptation. It never goes off the rails with the fantasy and it retains some very film-able drama and action.

Wait a second. A series full of ancient necromancers, sky whales, tree gods, and were-jaguars never goes off the rail with fantasy?

Herne

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn would make for an interesting adaptation. It's quite dense though, even for a television series.

Yeah, it is worthless clickbait.

GoT is essentially a grimdark Middle Ages period piece with some magic sprinkled on top, Sopranos with Swords, etc, this is why it is so successful.

All the titles listed above will fail utterly and horribly at attracting mass audience.
Yeah the great Houses are more or less mafia families.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom