• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Game of Thrones will disappoint us in the end

nampad

Nothing new here. Show has been disappointing for quite some seasons already and GRRM has disappointed his fans for years.

Season 7 has definitely been the weakest of the series so far. The show needed at least 3-4 more seasons to keep up with the pace of the past 6 seasons. Also the shows has been famous for incredible plot twists where everything crumbles faster than you can blink. Season 7 has been predictable, and the intense last two episodes of the each last season are gone. We now just have a dumbed down Lord of the Wrong mini series. And at the neck breaking pace they are going through I agree with Vox's opinion on the matter.

I think if they can deliver at least one surprise I'll be satisfied. D&D said they were "shocked" by 3 plot point GRRM told them, one being Shireen's burning, the second being Hold The Door, and the final point they said doesn't come until the very end. So I guess I'm holding out hope that there will be something at least as surprising as "hold the door".

Beyond that, while Dany and Jon's plots are going to be predictable for a few episodes, we really have no idea what the end game for either of them is. GRRM has stated before the ending is bittersweet - I'll be surprised if both Dany and Jon make it out completely alive. We don't really know where Sansa, Arya, and Bran will end up either, there is a lot less foreshadowing in their regard.

The only thing I know for certain will happen is that Jaime will kill Cersei.

Surfinn

I swear some people exist just to hate things and suck everything into their black hole of depression.

Show is average at worst. You wanna see actual shit and witness a fall from grace, go watch TWD.

Omadahl

Banned
As a book reader, this show has been nothing but a disappointment since it split from the books. It's like they let my aunt write this show after skimming the Cliffs Notes.

It's okay to like trash just as long as you know it's trash.

Sometimes I choose to eat at McDonald's. So do a billion other people. The problem is when McDonald's is mistaken for fine dining.

Trash tier soap opera is. And pretty empty

Ahaha

Oh my.

Whatever you guys say.

I'm never gonna be one to argue that GoT is the best show on TV or God-tier or anything like that, but calling it "trash-tier soap opera" is hysterical amounts of hyperbole.

kc44135

LOL @ everyone in this thread acting as if GOT S7 was bad or the worst thing on TV, as if there was anything anywhere near as good or as epic as GOT this year. So much hyperbole just because of some plot holes and inconsistecies, which all shows have. GAF, please.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I swear some people exist just to hate things and suck everything into their black hole of depression.

Show is average at worst. You wanna see actual shit and witness a fall from grace, go watch TWD.
The Walking Dead has always been up and down. Season 7 was crap because the are dragging this arc out over 2.5 seasons. The first 8 episodes were very well done and some of the show's best (Season 6B), while the next 16 are some of the show's worst(Season 7). Season 8 could redeem it based on the how comics are, however I am surprised they are going to keep the show going afterwards. The show basically now Jen AMC's cash cow and they are going to milk it for all it's worth.

LOL @ everyone in this thread acting as if GOT S7 was bad or the worst thing on TV, as if there was anything anywhere near as good or as epic as GOT this year. So much hyperbole just because of some plot holes and inconsistecies, which all shows have. GAF, please.
If you would watch more TV you would know this isn't true. Critizcing a show, does not mean people do not like it.

kc44135

I think if they can deliver at least one surprise I'll be satisfied. D&D said they were "shocked" by 3 plot point GRRM told them, one being Shireen's burning, the second being Hold The Door, and the final point they said doesn't come until the very end. So I guess I'm holding out hope that there will be something at least as surprising as "hold the door".

Beyond that, while Dany and Jon's plots are going to be predictable for a few episodes, we really have no idea what the end game for either of them is. GRRM has stated before the ending is bittersweet - I'll be surprised if both Dany and Jon make it out completely alive. We don't really know where Sansa, Arya, and Bran will end up either, there is a lot less foreshadowing in their regard.

The only thing I know for certain will happen is that Jaime will kill Cersei.

Most likely the final "surprise" was that
Jon is a secret Targ named Aegon,
and the true heir to the Iron Throne.
. I doubt there's time for any crazy twists with only six episodes left.

Perfect ending for me would be:

- Dani Ultimate Queen
- John Snow King of the North
- All Lannister dead besides Tyrion

And I'll be ok with everything else they show to me...

Dany dead
Jon sacrifices himself to stop the death
Jaime jumps off the tower with Cersei
Sansa sits on the Iron Throne, marries Robin
Bronn gets his castle.

That about round up a 10/10 ending for me.

rucury

Banned
As a book reader, this show has been nothing but a disappointment since it split from the books. It's like they let my aunt write this show after skimming the Cliffs Notes.

you're so right it hurts. Damn it, if only GRRM could have finished before the show....

UrbanRats

I'm really tempted to make a detailed post saying why Season 5 is not as terrible as people say. This narrative needs to stop.
Or you need to accept that other people may have different opinions and perhaps you're even in the minority and there is no "narrative" being pushed.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Most likely the final "surprise" was that
Jon is a secret Targ named Aegon,
and the true heir to the Iron Throne.
. I doubt there's time for any crazy twists with only six episodes left.
Nah, that's defintley not the last twist, they already knew he was a secret targ, that's how they got to write the show. And Aegon Targaryen name is show only and doesn't involve the books.

Or you need to accept that other people may have different opinions and perhaps you're even in the minority and there is no "narrative" being pushed.
There is a narrative being pushed and the narrative is that Season 5 is terrible. Now whether people are saying it is terrible compared to other seasons are terrible compared to tv in general is not usually specified. Even in this case, after Season 7, Season 5 is definitely not the worst the show has to offer. Also opinions can be wrong, so I'm not entirely sure why it matters if it is just someone's opinion.

slit

Honestly when a show is this popular. The end will almost always disappoint a lot of people. There is no getting around it.

RDreamer

Beyond the Wall has got to be one of the dumbest premises and worst executed dumb spectacle I can even remember watching on television. It jumped the shark in a season the had already jumped far too many sharks. It's not hyperbole after that bullshit.

Like, sure there isn't anything as "epic" as game of thrones on tv. If you measure the show by spectacle and how epic it is, then yes season 7 was crazy. But first of all this show was never built on that and I don't know how people that thrive on seeing that even got to season 7. If you judge based on writing season 7 was laughably awful. For a big popular drama it deserves derision. This isn't some indie shit. It was also completely inconsistent with previous seasons.

Turin

Banned
I'm really tempted to make a detailed post saying why Season 5 is not as terrible as people say. This narrative needs to stop.

S5 was the most offensive(Dorne, Sansa) but it wasn't as flimsy, disjointed and rushed as S7. It is the year D&D started clearly breaking under the weight of an increasingly bloated story.

s0ave

Neo Member

GOT wasn't bad but it is becoming pretty stale and predictable.

Black Sails was better.

The writing, acting, action sequences (not as big of a budget but better directing) and characters.

Black Sails Season Four aired this year

LOL. How was the S7 finale "mediocre"?

I swear, people have become so jaded towards entertainment that anything less than mind-blowing revelation after revelation is considered mediocre.

kswiston

S5 was the most offensive(Dorne, Sansa) but it wasn't as flimsy, disjointed and rushed as S7. It is the year D&D started clearly breaking under the weight of an increasingly bloated story.

I am hoping that they do better with the streamlined Season 8. If the rumor about longer episodes was true, they will have about the same amount of material as they had in season 7, but fewer plotlines to juggle.

Everyone has come together, with the large bulk of major characters being in the North/Winterfell by the start of S8. Some long running plotlines have wrapped up. All that is left to deal with is Cersei Lannister and the Army of the Dead (plus the side stuff with Theon that will be lucky to get 30 minutes total next season). 7-8 hours of material is enough to wrap that stuff up in as satisfactory a manner as can be expected if the writing is tighter than it was this season. Especially if they avoid scenarios like Ep6, where we went from saying "Time is passing, they just don't have space to show travelling scenes" to "Send a raven across the continent to bail them out of an emergency? WTF?"

Pusherman

giphy.gif

Seriously tho, Twin Peaks is easily the best thing on TV this year. I mean, have you seen episode 8?

I think the article gets to why GOT has been a little disappointing for a while now. I haven't read the books but a lot of the larger problems with the show do seem the originate there. The story has gotten too large and sprawling for its own good and now that the show has gotten past the books it has to get everything into place for the ending far too quickly. Like, I could see in theory how a lot of the developments this season could be interesting. Sansa defeating Littlefinger at his own game, Cersei and Jaime finally opposing one another, Dany finally fighting in Westeros and teaming up with Jon. It just all feels so sloppily executed because going by typical GOT pacing those things should've happened over another couple of seasons with a bunch of twists thrown in. Not told in a matter of episodes.

Zemm

Pretty damn mediocre season finale?

jlawokay.gif

Gotta get those clicks somehow.

Pretty damn useless article. I Think theres never been a season finale to any show that satisfied everyone?

The Shield, The Leftovers.

I mean you'll always find one professional contrarian but the fans were happy with those endings.

I dunno if people are serious with the 'best show of the past decade' nonsense or not. It's not even the best show of 2017.

iamblades

People acting like all this criticism is just nitpicky book readers is annoying.

The writing on the show has been objectively bad overall the last 3 seasons, and not only in comparison to the books. Not just in terms of the understandably cumbersome plot mechanics, but in terms of characterization and motivation.

Plenty of non book reader critics have noticed and started saying the same things.

Which is not to say that season 8 won't still be the biggest thing on television or even that it won't on some base level satisfy the people who watch it. That is entirely a separate question from whether or not it is good. McDonald's is objectively bad food, but that doesn't mean it doesn't satisfy the majority of people who eat it.

Jacob4815

LOL, reading these articles or some forums it looks like a show as GOT is some terrible shit.

Internet is dark and full of terror.

CloudWolf

This is not a good thing to say in a year that gave us season 3 of The Leftovers and Twin Peaks and shows like Legion and Handmaiden's Tale.

Ahaha

Oh my.

Whatever you guys say.

I'm never gonna be one to argue that GoT is the best show on TV or God-tier or anything like that, but calling it "trash-tier soap opera" is hysterical amounts of hyperbole.
I'll truly fascinating how quick people turned on GoT.. People are fickle as fuck.

I still enjoy the show, but it's been on a disappointment slow burn since season 5. The handling of several storylines, especially Arya's, has been so incredibly clumsy. Just sucked the magic out of the show for me. So much of it has become sloppy or simply predictable in many ways. Season 6 and 7 final episodes were still great, but...yeah.

kswiston

This is not a good thing to say in a year that gave us season 3 of The Leftovers and Twin Peaks and shows like Legion and Handmaiden's Tale.

I haven't seen Twin Peaks, but reception seems to be very divided.

As for the others, Game of Thrones is also 7 seasons old. It's hard to keep the quality up over the long term. Tons of shows start off good. Very few make it more than 5 seasons with the same quality as the first few seasons.

I didn't like S7 as much as S6, or the majority of the earlier stuff, but there were still a couple good episodes mixed in (and some good moments in some of the episodes that weren't as strong). Hopefully the ratio is better next season.

When did this become the common sentiment? The article phrases it like there's a consensus among viewers.

Yeah, I went to a screening of the finale at a pub in LA and the energy and excitement people had was unreal. I didn't get any sense that the crowd was anything less than ecstatic about the finale. Of course, alcohol helps too.

kc44135

Nah, that's defintley not the last twist, they already knew he was a secret targ, that's how they got to write the show. And Aegon Targaryen name is show only and doesn't involve the books.

There is a narrative being pushed and the narrative is that Season 5 is terrible. Now whether people are saying it is terrible compared to other seasons are terrible compared to tv in general is not usually specified. Even in this case, after Season 7, Season 5 is definitely not the worst the show has to offer. Also opinions can be wrong, so I'm not entirely sure why it matters if it is just someone's opinion.
Again, what else could they have time for? I just can't see any major twists happening in only six episodes. We've got Cersei, Euron, and Auburn causing trouble still, we've got the "War for the Dawn", and most important of all, Cleganebowl (I hope...). Also, S5 sucked, dude. I don't know how else to put it, and I don't know how anyone could argue there's a worse season of GOT. Only good thing about it was Hardhome.
Beyond the Wall has got to be one of the dumbest premises and worst executed dumb spectacle I can even remember watching on television. It jumped the shark in a season the had already jumped far too many sharks. It's not hyperbole after that bullshit.

Like, sure there isn't anything as "epic" as game of thrones on tv. If you measure the show by spectacle and how epic it is, then yes season 7 was crazy. But first of all this show was never built on that and I don't know how people that thrive on seeing that even got to season 7. If you judge based on writing season 7 was laughably awful. For a big popular drama it deserves derision. This isn't some indie shit. It was also completely inconsistent with previous seasons.
Nah.
GOT wasn't bad but it is becoming pretty stale and predictable.

Black Sails was better.

The writing, acting, action sequences (not as big of a budget but better directing) and characters.

Black Sails Season Four aired this year
...OK, yeah, I forgot about Black Sails. Yeah, that was really good. I really love me some GOT, but Black Sails was excellent. It's a tie, I'd say. :)
giphy.gif

Seriously tho, Twin Peaks is easily the best thing on TV this year. I mean, have you seen episode 8?

I think the article gets to why GOT has been a little disappointing for a while now. I haven't read the books but a lot of the larger problems with the show do seem the originate there. The story has gotten too large and sprawling for its own good and now that the show has gotten past the books it has to get everything into place for the ending far too quickly. Like, I could see in theory how a lot of the developments this season could be interesting. Sansa defeating Littlefinger at his own game, Cersei and Jaime finally opposing one another, Dany finally fighting in Westeros and teaming up with Jon. It just all feels so sloppily executed because going by typical GOT pacing those things should've happened over another couple of seasons with a bunch of twists thrown in. Not told in a matter of episodes.

Haven't seen Twin Peaks yet, actually. It's pretty good, huh?

As far as your comments on the show are concerned, we'll have to agree to disagree. I love how quickly the show is moving now, and I love that I'm getting to see things I've waited years to see. I don't want the show to be dragged out for years to come, and have entire episodes/seasons devoted to characters travelling from one end of Westeros to the other. We've had six seasons of that now. I want it to show me everything I've wanted to see for years now, a d end on the highest possible note it can. I feel it's doing just that, so far.

I'll truly fascinating how quick people turned on GoT.. People are fickle as fuck.

NeoGAF has a culture that encourages nitpicking, and this can often give a false impression. The idea that Game of Thrones is unpopular is not borne out by the audience figures, which show a steady, monotonic and substantial increase in average audience from each season to the next. The increase from Season 6 to Season 7, 7.69 million to 10.26 million, is by far the largest. The final episode of Season 7, which has been fiercely criticised on this very thread, was the most popular episode of the show ever broadcast.

Pusherman

Haven't seen Twin Peaks yet, actually. It's pretty good, huh?

As far as your comments on the show are concerned, we'll have to agree to disagree. I love how quickly the show is moving now, and I love that I'm getting to see things I've waited years to see. I don't want the show to be dragged out for years to come, and have entire episodes/seasons devoted to characters travelling from one end of Westeros to the other. We've had six seasons of that now. I want it to show me everything I've wanted to see for years now, a d end on the highest possible note it can. I feel it's doing just that, so far.

Yeah, Twin Peaks really is that good. Some of the best TV I've ever seen.

And I agree with you that the quicker pace is actually nice but it's extremely jarring compared to those first few seasons and it doesn't fit the way the show has been building up these arcs. I feel like the showrunners should've forced Martin to tell them the endings of all major arcs in ASOIAF, including the overall ending, so that they could better plan out what to cut and what to keep and how to pace everything. Right now, the difference between what was adapted directly from the books and what was based on some short outline by Martin is too noticeable.

Spinluck

Everyone can agree that 6 episodes is not enough to end the story properly, it'll feel rushed, as much as the season 7, HBO need to change their plans or the best show of the decade will finish as a big disappointment...

I don't GoT is the best show of the decade so it's safe to say I'll be satisfied.

wazoo

Perfect ending for me would be:

- Dani Ultimate Queen
- John Snow King of the North
- All Lannister dead besides Tyrion

And I'll be ok with everything else they show to me...

You will get that, that is basically the point of the article, we are going towards an ultra classical fantasy ending.

wazoo

Yeah, I went to a screening of the finale at a pub in LA and the energy and excitement people had was unreal. I didn't get any sense that the crowd was anything less than ecstatic about the finale. Of course, alcohol helps too.

The show is hated here because it is targeted to the 60M casual viewers that are seeing it right now. 7th Season is anything but casual and wide audience calibrated.

gatling

Dany dead
Jon sacrifices himself to stop the death
Jaime jumps off the tower with Cersei
Sansa sits on the Iron Throne, marries Robin
Bronn gets his castle.

That about round up a 10/10 ending for me.

No. =[ Sansa will not marry any more losers. Nast. Edit: I just realized, even if it is political I would hate it.

Bronn should def get his castle and then some.

Just because something is popular does not mean it is good.

It also doesn't mean it isn't good, as the common mindset seems to be to critics.

"This thing is popular, but most people are stupid, I'm gonna be edgy by telling everyone how much I dislike this thing and how they are dumb for liking it in order to prove that I have above average intelligence." Sums up most internet criticism/complaining.

Kinglypuff

Neo Member
I never thought GoT was perfect but s1-4 had a lot of qualities to offer : good dialogues, interesting character with complex motivations, great worldbuilding, nuanced writing.

These qualities are pretty much gone by now, since all characters are acting in nonsensical ways, are served by middling-to-poor dialogue, in order to create a succession of Shocking Cool Moments to comment on Facebook.

The only characters I'm still interested in right now are Cersei and Sansa, and even then, their plotlines sucked this season. Cersei's nuances are basically gone and she's now The Bad Evil Baddie© but there are still flashes of brillance, like her scene with Tyrion in this episode, or whenever she shows the vulnerability and despair that make her character compelling, like early in the season with Ellaria.
Sansa (And Arya's) plotline made NO sense whatsoever and it hurt to watch, only because the writers were interested in creating yet another Gotcha moment in the finale. Still, the evolution of her character is the compelling arc of the show and I truly hope this won't go nowhere.

Also, say what you want about the pace of the earlier seasons but it truly helped to have some room to breathe, get to know the characters and the situation they're in, and watch it unfold (mostly) organically rather than the quick succession of events seen this season.

TuXx

Twin Peaks is easily the best show on TV

Dougie Jones has way more charisma than any of those wet napkins that you call characters on Game of Thrones.

Sophist

You will get that, that is basically the point of the article, we are going towards an ultra classical fantasy ending.

Every GRRM story has ended badly. I would say the night king will win and rules over Westeros while the humans retreat to Essos (ice and fire)

Top Bottom