• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger Best Version - SNES or PS1?

Aon

SNES all the way home.

Anime cutscenes are trash anyhow, they all feel out of place in the game.

blanco21

Don't do PS1...garbage. 10 seconds to load the menu or something crazy like that. If you boot it up and think it won't bother you...trust me, when you get to the good parts/10 hrs or so in, it will. I played FF4-6 and CT on those god awful FF collections back in the day (FF4 was good though) and wish my 1st experience was the originals.

Hugstable

Banned
DS is probably the best version, though some may prefer the SNES translation more. Really it's a toss up, the extra content in DS isn't so special to where I'd call it something big.

El Jaffe

I bought Chrono on PS1 about a year after beating it on SNES and found the loud times to be egregious. Like the pause after every battle is like 10 seconds. I never got past the Chapel in 600AD cuz they were so bad. SNES all the way. PS1 may have cool cutscenes, but they're not worth it.

Edit:Hell i think if u tried to go to the pause menu there was at least a 5 sec delay, if not longer. What a waste of $10

I played it a few years back and it was annoying trying to hit the menu commands, but maybe they fixed it up some since then? Didn't really put much time into it.

The second menu mode is much better. Classic menu was put in for the nostalgia but it really isn't optimal.

Eusis

What the PS1 offers that SNES doesn't can be addressed by doing a YouTube search, assuming SE didn't go militant there. So, yeah, SNES/Wii VC.

Thaedolus

It seems so ridiculous that the PSX version has loading times. Like, half the data from the SNES version could fit in the PSX RAM. What an unoptimized garbage port.

Umibozu

Snes version is the obvious answer. The ps1 version has a slight pause every time you open and close a menu, every time you enter/exit a battle, and when you use your arts (special/combo attacks). Those loading times remain in the psn digital version as well. I would avoid the playstation frankly

Umibozu

Just watch the PS1 cutscenes later after you finish the SNES version of the game.
remembering those cutscenes they were kind of dumb. Watching frog cut a mountain in a cutscene and then do it again in the game was a liitle weird

PS1 has worse loading times so if you can actually manage to find a cartridge then get it on SNES. Though I would just recommend the DS version for the best experience.

jett

D-Member
SNES. All of these SNES ports on the PS1 are terrible one way or another.

And no, the DS loses, cuz CT deserves to have the comfy couch experience.

TheYanger

The DS version gets too much credit. The game looks a lot worse on that little screen and resolution, and the retranslation is strictly worse imo.

wmlk

You can play your DS on a couch.

The DS version has some of the worst additional content (you can ignore this), messed up aspect ratio, and to me personally had a worse translation taking away from the charm the original Woolsey translation had.

SNES > DS > PS1

Thankfully the cutscenes (they aren't that great, anyway) can be seen on YouTube.

theecakee

I think it would be cheaper to buy a DS and Chrono Trigger for the DS then buying a SNES Chrono Trigger, unless you like collecting.

SNES Chrono goes for around $100 for a loose cart.

While a DS is like $40 and a Chrono DS version is like $20

Even still, the PS1 Chrono isn't that bad...but it isn't good. I just could never see buying a SNES Chrono Cart for that price unless you already Chrono and love it, you collect video games, or have a lot of money to throw around.

Eusis

And no, the DS loses, cuz CT deserves to have the comfy couch experience.
I didn't know DS games had to be played while in an iron maiden.

And if SE stops sucking and gets their VC catalog on Wii U along with their DS games then we can in theory have the ultimate version on Wii U... With some minor cropping admittedly.

I played the PS1 version on PS2 with fast load and to me that was bearable. I know the SNES is pretty much instantaneous in comparison, but it's a hassle to get a hold of. It's worth trying, imo.

Top Bottom