• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes (infamous rom hack / fan sequel) has leaked

LevityNYC

Banned
I can't find a recent topic of the subject so I made my own. I read the TOS carefully and this topic does seem acceptable as there are other topics on fan made projects.

If I am violating some type of rule, I am doing so accidentally and I understand if the thread gets locked.

I wont post the link to where I even found out the news, but with a little searching, I'm sure you can find it.

The game was 98% done when Square posted a C & D. From what I understand they actually did more work on it since then and it has leaked.

With news of FF XIII-2 coming out, I've almost given up all hope of another Chrono game being released.

EDIT:

Fuck it. Here is the Joystiq news report.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/18/fan-made-chrono-trigger-sequel-finds-release/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Heads up that if it gets linked to on here, an IPS patch is generally considered okay for ROM hacks here, while patched ROMs are generally not considered OK.

Hobbun

Damn, was hoping this was an official sequel.

The game is just going to get shut down like the last fan made project.

Gravijah

"The game was 98% done when Square posted a C & D. From what I understand they actually did more work on it since then and it has leaked."

This seems... bad?

LevityNYC

Banned
Hobbun said:

Thats the thing. It was shut down and never leaked until this week.

Radogol

Hobbun said:

I see you familiarized yourself with the topic at hand. Good job, Sir.

Acosta

LevityNYC said:
I can't find a recent topic of the subject so I made my own. I read the TOS carefully and this topic does seem acceptable as there are other topics on fan made projects.

If I am violating some type of rule, I am doing so accidentally and I understand if the thread gets locked.

I wont post the link to where I even found out the news, but with a little searching, I'm sure you can find it.

The game was 98% done when Square posted a C & D. From what I understand they actually did more work on it since then and it has leaked.

With news of FF XIII-2 coming out, I've almost given up all hope of another Chrono game being released.

EDIT:

Fuck it. Here is the Joystiq news report.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/18/fan-made-chrono-trigger-sequel-finds-release/

It´s not the 98% finished beta, it´s a much earlier version. God knows why it has been uploaded.

LakeEarth

Why do people insist to make "sequels" to games that aren't theirs. Why can't they make games "inspired" by them, its not like I'm dying to find out what happened to my characters after I saved the world. I think the 12 endings pretty much covered it.

Gravijah

LakeEarth said:
Why do people insist to make "sequels" to games that aren't theirs. Why can't they make games "inspired" by them, its not like I'm dying to find out what happened to my characters after I saved the world. I think the 12 endings pretty much covered it.

Because.

jling84 said:
Considering CC is one of the best games of all time, I doubt it.
chrono0058.gif

KAL2006

Banned
so this is some lame fan created sequel, why didn't you put fan created chrono trigger sequel leaked on the title, so I dd not have to click on this topic. can a mod edit the title, it is misleading.

Jomjom

Banned
Mailenstein said:

Hahah liking CC and CT does not have to be mutually exclusive. Of course CT is better than CC, but CC is still awesome! In any case definitely much better than this lame fan sequel.

The only thing these fan sequels do is make you appreciate the originals more because of how badly they are done. It's like the fans that make these sequels didn't even play the originals.

LevityNYC

Banned
KAL2006 said:
so this is some lame fan created sequel, why didn't you put fan created chrono trigger sequel leaked on the title, so I dd not have to click on this topic. can a mod edit the title, it is misleading.

Most fans of the CT series are familiar with what Crimson Echoes is. I wanted to include as little as possible in my OP because I wasnt sure what was legal and what was not.

Radogol

Hobbun said:
It doesn’t say it is complete, just indicates “they have done more work on it”. But even if it is complete, the game will be pulled.
How can it be pulled? It's a leaked file, not a website you can shut down.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
From the C & D letter:.

If any of these unlawful products are ever distributed, or if you fail to remove all infringing material immediately, then we will have no choice but to turn this matter over to our litigation counsel and appropriate authorities.

So they're in trouble now?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Damn, at first I thought this was that 3D remake some people were making before Square's hammer dropped.

LevityNYC

Banned
morningbus said:
Damn, at first I thought this was that 3D remake some people were making before Square's hammer dropped.

That was just a playable tech demo from what I understand. They were probably about 2 % done with the final version at the time of the C & D

jling84 said:
Hahah liking CC and CT does not have to be mutually exclusive. Of course CT is better than CC, but CC is still awesome! In any case definitely much better than this lame fan sequel.

The only thing these fan sequels do is make you appreciate the originals more because of how badly they are done. It's like the fans that make these sequels didn't even play the originals.
While I agree with you Chrono Trigger being one of the best games ever made, I have to disagree with you on the fan projects part. Zak McKracken 2 and other wonderful projects prove you SO wrong. Therefore I'll give this a shot.

Kiriku said:
From the C & D letter:.
So they're in trouble now?
He should contact the "Eattorney at law". I've heard he's good.

Instro

Nice I was hoping this would eventually happen, worth taking a shot at considering how much time they put into it.

LevityNYC said:
Most fans of the CT series are familiar with what Crimson Echoes is. I wanted to include as little as possible in my OP because I wasnt sure what was legal and what was not.
I'm a huge fan of the series, never heard of this. And with the official Square-Enix show last night where they were announcing new games, I came in here thinking this was a real thing, not a crappy fan project. Please change the topic to show that it's a fan project.

LevityNYC

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
I'm a huge fan of the series, never heard of this. And with the official Square-Enix show last night where they were announcing new games, I came in here thinking this was a real thing, not a crappy fan project. Please change the topic to show that it's a fan project.

Try it before you bash it.

Dreamwriter said:
Be happy, this is better news than Squenix could ever deliver nowadays.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So in other words, they are likely going to get sued now, since they "released it", good work leakers.

LiK

Drkirby said:
So in other words, they are likely going to get sued now, since they "released it", good work leakers.
Why? Not official game and they don't profit from it.

Radogol

LevityNYC said:
That was just a playable tech demo from what I understand. They were probably about 2 % done with the final version at the time of the C & D
It was never supposed to be a complete remake. More like "greatest hits". The clip that can be found online is one of only several scenes, so I'd say they were much further along than you're suggesting.

LevityNYC

Banned
LiK said:
Why? Not official game and they don't profit from it.

I think they'd need to prove damages. I dont think they'd be able to. On the other hand, these programmers are earning reputation for developing something with characters and music they don't own. It would be interesting.

The intro to the game mentions to buy CT on DS so Square will eventually revive the series.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Just a month ago I was thinking to myself how surprised I was it hadn't leaked. Hah.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
LakeEarth said:

I agree, it would be nice if people could actually be creative and come up with their own idea instead of rehashing what was done by somebody else. But we don't hold major studios accountable to that, so I guess I shouldn't expect anything better from a fan project.

Giard

I thought "leaking" meant released without the approval of the creators. This sounds more like they willingly released it on torrent sites.

Well square wasn't going to make it. Glad someone took up the torch.

Meanwhile we can have 13 more KH handheld titles and games no one wanted or asked for (FF13-2).

LevityNYC

Banned
PsychoJecht said:
Well square wasn't going to make it. Glad someone took up the torch.

Meanwhile we can have 13 more KH handheld titles and games no one wanted or asked for (FF13-2).

nodding

Top Bottom