• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chvrches to perform at The Game Awards

sqwarlock

Why are people comparing Chvrches to Grimes in this thread? Totally different sound.

They're a second rate Purity Ring.

The Bones of What You Believe is a dope as fuck album

I enjoy all three, though for me it's CHVRCHES > Purity Ring > Grimes. I'm excited as fuck for this though.

Chvrches isn't what I would consider my first choice for something like this. Deadmau5 is perfect, and Porter Robinson would have been perfect as well.

And I'm sure Chvrches will play a new song, which is a shame. The new album is weak as fuck.

Yeah, Grimes needs to stop ripping off Ladytron.

What??? lmao yeah ok.

scitek

I've liked this band ever since I learned they spell their name that way in order to be easier to search for on Google.

marrec

Banned
Who?

I am so out of the loop with mainstream radio music.

You should check them out, they've got this really fine-tuned but edgy 90s synth sound, like a really sharp hacksaw, backed up by more contemporary arrangements and a wispy voiced female vocalist. Makes for a great listen. The Bones of What You Believe is their best album, as their most recent release is a little drab.

Seriously, so happy she scrapped that last one tbh

I think don't it would have been that bad. I don't know if the style would have been the same as GO, since Blood Diamonds produced that, but I'm sure it would have been more interesting than what we got with Chvrches' new album. Seriously, it just lacks charm and is so boring. And this is from someone who was a huge fan of the first album and went to see them 3 times during that era.

NeatoKuni

Seriously, so happy she scrapped that last one tbh

Realiti was amazing, she said she'll leak it all when she retires lol. Art Angels probably would've been the better album anyways. (Nothing will ever top "Skin" from Visions. I have it on my goodnight playlist. So calming)

just lacks charm and is so boring.

Felt the same way. I tried so hard to like it. I even bought it (instead of using spotify) but it got shelved really quickly.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Had a chance to see em at Fun Fun Fun Fest earlier this month. Wound up seeing Converge instead, Grimes killed it though.

This show would be way better if they got Converge instead.

You think? I found it pretty good stuff! Nothing as good as We Sink, but pretty good!

I guess my expectations were extremely high after Bones. Just get the album was a lazy progression of their sound rather than a true step forward. But sophomore albums don't always work out, so I am curious how the next one will be.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I guess my expectations were extremely high after Bones. Just get the album was a lazy progression of their sound rather than a true step forward. But sophomore albums don't always work out, so I am curious how the next one will be.

What's wrong with you kitch! Eyes is amazing ;_; I love it even more than Bones.

marrec

Banned

100% agree, seems so drab compared to Bones. It's still not bad, for sure, but it's not in my rotation like Bones was.

Found it was a grower for me. I initially wasn't super into the singles being put out, but once the whole album was out I really fell for it and have had it in my rotation since it came out. I think Bones was a great debut, but it was kind of an album that had 4 or 5 really tremendous songs, and then a decent chunk of filler. I feel like Eyes is a much more consistently great and cohesive album.

jax

Banned
My main gripe with Chvrches VS Grimes is the lyrical content.

"What if I pulled my teeth? Cut my hair underneath my chin?" Empowering. Inspiring. Badass. Art Angels easily contains some of the best lyrics of the past few years.

"I will be a gun and its you I'll come for" What does this even mean? 2edgy5me breh

Neither are bad though, it would have been amazing to see Grimes on the stage. I guess I shouldn't expect any more from a judge panel with 32 men and one woman.

My main gripe with Chvrches VS Grimes is the lyrical content.

"What if I pulled my teeth? Cut my hair underneath my chin?" Empowering. Inspiring. Badass. Art Angels easily contains some of the best lyrics of the past few years.

"I will be a gun and its you I'll come for" What does this even mean? 2edgy5me breh

Neither are bad though, it would have been amazing to see Grimes on the stage. I guess I shouldn't expect any more from a judge panel with 32 men and one woman.

I agree that Art Angels has some amazing lyrics. Venus Fly is off the hook.

Top Bottom