• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities in Motion |OT| Is your city in motion?

Kabouter

Reikon said:
Is it me or is the amount of traffic ridiculous compared to the beta? My bus and tram lines are pretty much useless now since they can barely move.
Noticed this too, Berlin scenario is even more impossibly hard.

Helsinki, circa 1950, has some serious traffic, too. Buses rendered almost useless in the early game before the transit system starts working its magic.

bjaelke

Jubbly said:
It wasn't in today's patch? Sigh, would help if they posted patch notes somewhere.
I tried asking for it on the official forum but seems like the mods/devs are just ignoring it. That can't be a good sign :/ Oh well, guess I'll load up steam and get playing anyway.

i don't know, maybe those complaints are right but after 4 hours and a couple of new game on Berlin i feel the game is not cracked yet, just like an hard puzzle.

I definitely put another gear when i finally start to think in different manner i usually do in a citybuilder. My company is not a public one so what i need to do, first, is turn in profit and not help those city to grow and stay happy. That change everything during my last pianification.

Connect a train station with some hotels is a great idea, a good start to earn some initial boost instead of trying disperately to connect those 3 bus lines in the first chapter of the campaign. Just think like a tycoon and not a mayor...

I continue to investigate after the work :(

BTW the graphics is great! Looks like a cool 2D game but is not, dear EA, this is what i want from the next SC.... because there's a next installment in the line, right? RIGHT?

Pandemic

Ranger X said:
What do you mean by broken? doesn't boot anymore??
This happens:
51vp8w.jpg

aykorc.jpg

20zbi2v.jpg

k0hs14.jpg

Happens in all modes, sandbox, campaign, etc.

zoku88

You could right click on the game and select "delete local data" or something like that.

And redownload slash reinstall.

Played the crap out of the Beta for this, but damn if it isn't extremely hard!

I don't think I ever once managed to turn a profit. Game usually ended in me having built a basic Bus infrastructure and sitting around waiting for ~ +$40 a month if I was lucky (only to be annihilated with a -$300 maintenance the next month or something.

Very tough.

Haven't gotten around to picking up the full release yet, but I didn't seem to gel with turning profit in the game like I have in the past with SimCity and other infrastructure titles.

Yerolo

zoku88 said:
You could right click on the game and select "delete local data" or something like that.

And redownload slash reinstall.

You're better off just hitting 'verify integrity of game cache' under the properties of the game. Might save having to re-download the entire game if there is a slight corruption or file missing

Pandemic

Mmk, so I uninstalled the game, re-downloaded and installed again.

Now another problem occurs...

When I go into campaign/sandbox mode, and choose everything and it begins to load, the game crashes halfway through... :l

Pandemic said:
Mmk, so I uninstalled the game, re-downloaded and installed again.

Now another problem occurs...

When I go into campaign/sandbox mode, and choose everything and it begins to load, the game crashes halfway through... :l

Other games still run smooth? Maybe some problem with drivers?

Pandemic

Okay, I had to update the game, it loads fine now.

But unfortunately, the above problem is back, where the trees are stretched across the screen, etc. :(

I think it's a nice successor to Traffic Giant. But it suffers from the same problem: too many people for too little space in vehicles. My subway line has more train than it can handle and yet they are all full.

Well the map editor is really good, not perfect but good.

Im sure, with some imagination, can build mi city, Valencia.

The bad thing is there are no many type of residential and office buildings, and nearly all look to center europe. More diversity would have been nice.

As I said, I think that the major problem of this game, apart form the bugs it can have right now, is using all european centric cities, instead of mixing it a bit and adding english, french, spanish and italian type cities.

uff, now my game back to desktop when i try to save... and I can't log in the official forum because my steam key don't work :D

Edit: after 15 minutes my validation mail arrives

The game is nearly unplayable.

Even the lines placed by the game dont fucking work.

Ive read they are making a patch right now for it, hope its sooner than later.

Ranger X

SpacePirate Ridley said:
The game is nearly unplayable.

Even the lines placed by the game dont fucking work.

Ive read they are making a patch right now for it, hope its sooner than later.

You mean the autobus traffic problem?

Seems that people are complaining about the traffic all over the internet, but there's nothing about it that seems intentional to me. Sure it's hard, but surely half the point of a transit game is dealing with traffic problems.

When all you're doing is creating routes for public transport, traffic congestion is one of the factors you would need to think about, and that your actions can have unintended consequences is very important. If the only way for a person to get to your metro station is by car, then that's another car jamming up the road. If your tram stops in the middle of a busy intersection, you're going to cause backups all the way back. Surely that's how it should work. I have managed to have profitable trams and bus lines but it has taken several tries to learn how to best use things. Some of the lines requested by the game in missions are completely impractical, but you can always shut them down if they're no good.

The only thing I'm missing is some sort of way-point tool. I may just not know where it is but for buses it would be very useful to be able to direct a bus to take a less direct but less congested path without planting down bus stops along that route you want. As it stands it calculates the shortest distance, which will often be the impractical main thoroughfares.

Edit: the one thing I would fix is the overly low capacity of the vehicles.

chicken_ramen said:
Seems that people are complaining about the traffic all over the internet, but there's nothing about it that seems intentional to me. Sure it's hard, but surely half the point of a transit game is dealing with traffic problems.

When all you're doing is creating routes for public transport, traffic congestion is one of the factors you would need to think about, and that your actions can have unintended consequences is very important. If the only way for a person to get to your metro station is by car, then that's another car jamming up the road. If your tram stops in the middle of a busy intersection, you're going to cause backups all the way back. Surely that's how it should work. I have managed to have profitable trams and bus lines but it has taken several tries to learn how to best use things. Some of the lines requested by the game in missions are completely impractical, but you can always shut them down if they're no good.

The only thing I'm missing is some sort of way-point tool. I may just not know where it is but for buses it would be very useful to be able to direct a bus to take a less direct but less congested path without planting down bus stops along that route you want. As it stands it calculates the shortest distance, which will often be the impractical main thoroughfares.

Good post. I agree with all the points. I've been running express lines along main routes, with additional stops on less congested roads as extensions for routes that also use the "express" stops. Nice way to link major locations as well as service residential commuters and at least keep them a little separate. I think buses, if configured properly, are the unsung heroes of the game.

Ranger X

chicken_ramen said:

I agree with what you said. However, from my experience in the beta, my problem with the game (wich is traffic related of course) is that we don't have time tables. We can't decide to space out the buses as needed. You can have 5 buses all pilled up and you lose efficiency that way.

If we had time tables, we could probably synchronise stops from different lines together and save transfert time. We could sort of space out the buses manually. Having that in the design could have pushed some other interesting features like having buses only at certain hours, like extra ones only used for rush hours.

Anyhow, part of it is a dream, I'll have to deal with how the game was designed but I wish the game would at least try to space out the buses by itself. It would only help.

Ranger X said:
I agree with what you said. However, from my experience in the beta, my problem with the game (wich is traffic related of course) is that we don't have time tables. We can't decide to space out the buses as needed. You can have 5 buses all pilled up and you lose efficiency that way.

If we had time tables, we could probably synchronise stops from different lines together and save transfert time. We could sort of space out the buses manually. Having that in the design could have pushed some other interesting features like having buses only at certain hours, like extra ones only used for rush hours.

Anyhow, part of it is a dream, I'll have to deal with how the game was designed but I wish the game would at least try to space out the buses by itself. It would only help.

Yup, that was the biggest thing I noticed too.

Bus 1: 29 passengers
Bus 2: 3 passengers
Bus 3: 0 passengers
All around the same damn stop. All causing traffic backup.

Then you've got 30, 40, 50 people waiting all the way over the other side of your line, getting infuriated as there's no buses.

Some good ideas raised. I was thinking about this issue, and ways to solve the load and stop issues.

Thoughts thus far centre around either having dropdown menus on individual stops - whether to toggle "do not stop if stop is empty" or perhaps a more draconian loading limit - buses with similar toggles, and/or entire route toggles, such as one where loading is divided based on placement of sequential vehicles on the route.

We start to get down to quite complicated setups. Preferably, I'd like a simple automated system that measures route distance and divides that equally by the number of vehicles on said route. During congestion, perhaps making buses wait temporary at stops to preserve some semblance of the original time delegation...

Complex stuff.

Jubbly

If vehicles could use all lanes of a road to bypass stopped/broken down traffic it would solve a crap load of problems. Drives me mad to see a three-lane road clear in two lanes, but completely blocked in one because a bus stopped to drop off passengers or broke down.

Pandemic

Jubbly said:
If vehicles could use all lanes of a road to bypass stopped/broken down traffic it would solve a crap load of problems. Drives me mad to see a three-lane road clear in two lanes, but completely blocked in one because a bus stopped to drop off passengers or broke down.
Completely agree, silly to see a large lane of traffic due to a breakdown, when they can simply change lanes and allow the traffic to flow through, rather than sitting there and waiting for the vehicle to be fixed.

Ranger X

In the meantime, what are your strategies anyways?

Right now I am trying to have more bus lines but shorter. It seems that people don't mind much about transferring and this diminish the bus pile up problem as there is less buses per lines.

Pandemic

I'm hoping this patch will be released this weekend, and will hopefully fix my problem, if not I'll be very disappointed.

Ranger X

Man, this thread is awfully quiet.

I hope this game sells enough so that new dev can actually continue to make games and also updates for this one here.

:(

Mesijs

Played it for a loooong time... first I played an early version that I was allowed to review but it had terrible bugs in it. Just before the review deadline I got a new version so I´m playing that one now. It fixed all stuff and the game is really good now. Still some huge problems. The main thing is that reputation doesn't matter at all. You can just give all your employees € 1 salary and that's fine. Also, you can 'cheat' about half of the objectives. And of course the stacking up stuff is horrible.

Pandemic

Mm, sad to see this thread so quiet.

It'd be good if the traffic lights worked, rather than being there for show. The traffic that occurs is crazy, and without traffic lights, it's gridlock.

Started playing this earlier tonight, and after about two hours the game crashed when I tried to save which was a bit off putting. Good thing I had planned to restart the first campaign mission anyways since I approached it very badly in the beginning.

The game has a lot of flaws which I hope will get fixed pretty shortly, but it's a nice and relaxing game so its easily forgiven for its faults. I just hope they fix the crash on save bug very soon so that I can continue playing it at all!

Pandemic said:
Mm, sad to see this thread so quiet.

It'd be good if the traffic lights worked, rather than being there for show. The traffic that occurs is crazy, and without traffic lights, it's gridlock.

I just found a way to beat the game: Only metro and helicopter.

I have a shit ton of money.

Top Bottom