• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Snowfall |OT| We Build This City on Mods and Poo

Ordered direct from the Publisher; really think they/the Dev team deserve all the reward they can get.

Annoyingly I've got a friend coming round tonight so PES and Hotline Miami it is (and again tomorrow/Saturday). Roll on a hungover Sunday with Fajitas and this though.

Show this game off to your friend. I've had a few but it because of me showing it to them :lol

Pinkuss

Show this game off to your friend. I've had a few but it because of me showing it to them :lol

We're drinking and he's not in to much other than action games (and Skyrim/Fallout which I suppose is just action with a story and massive swords/guns and stats).

Trying to get another friend to get it but he's not biting; shame as he loves slow/strategy games (just not city builders).

Cities Skylines is a promising game, but I do hope the expansions help it deliver.

Right now the game is a unbalanced mess. I want to be challenged to manage my city. Not just end trafic jams.

I'll buy it anyway. They at least did everything business related right and are enhancing the game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
LOL, hot damn that's funny!

Oh wait, I use a lot of solar power usually....

o_O
Yeah. Me too. Now I had to go back to water based wind power. I thought solar plants were supposed to store energy. It defeats the purpose if they just stop working completely at night.

Crispy75

For someone almost completely new to city sims (messed around with Tropico 3 for awhile), how intuitive is Skylines?

Dwarf Fortress, play with a constant wiki open,
or Civilization, plenty of popups to guide me through the nuances?

May pick this up if closer to the latter.

Super friendly. While your city is small, it's pretty much impossible to screw up, and the features are gradually unlocked as your population grows.

It's not so good at explaining how mechanics actually work, but it's so forgiving it doesn't really matter. You can read the wiki later.

RS4-

Started a new city, at 2k pop, says I unlocked the 'encourage biking' policy..but I don't even see it anywhere at all in the policies, not even greyed out. Unless...that was the bike lane thing, which I do have.

Kinthalis

Banned
well realistically at this point in time no city is powered by 100% solar energy, but in the future where they are battery storage tech will be more than capable of doing so.

An entire city powered by solar is something out of sci-fi. Maybe a very small city, with as of now undeveloped power storage technology.

Was gonna buy it but thought about how laggy the vanilla game was on my PC when cities got big so I changed my mind and decided to wait till I have a better PC (My PC Specs: Phenom 2 x4 950, 4GB RAM, 650 Ti Boost).
Shit sucks.

Man I want to play with my mods, but wasnt able to figure out which mods were compatible. Pretty sure my city crashed when reloading it too.

This was last week, before the DLC. I guess I just have to use less mods, but there are soo many I want to use

RS4-

Ok, noticed the bikers...who just use the normal pedestrian paths. Don't even use the bike lanes lol.

So apparently solar power plants don't work at night. Makes sense. When night came, my money took a plunge into the negatives and everything lost power and water. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time. In hindsight, it makes a lot of sense and I should have seen it coming.

Lexxism

My mods isn't working after download and installing the DLC. Deleted the game and re-download the game again. What's the mod to get again? I totally forgot those needed mods like for traffic etc.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So, for building a city on poo, this is amazing.
http://imgur.com/a/vR86Z

poo power FTW.

This reminds me of how farms can use compressed air, or water reservoirs as a kind of battery to store excess power.

(During power surplus periods, the extra power is used to compress air or pump water into an elevated area. During power deficit periods, the air is released, or the water is let go to turn a turbine and generate power.)

Copons

Looks like Gula has updated all his assets about an hour ago. I rejoice a lot, as now half my city will be lit again!

Ranger X

Did they ever fix the insane traffic path finding and illogical industry/jobs/education problems?

The traffic works according the lines in the street and doesn't take the amount of traffic into account. Basically, if they wanna turn right at the next corner, they will immediately put themselves on the right lane (that is used to turn) and that's all. No care if there's traffic or not. Its like that since launch and I honestly doubt this will chance actually. There's no pathfinding problems per say.

As for with the job things, its because you don't put enough residential. The game sometimes indicate a low residential need when you actually need more of it. In the new game however you can decide to have a low class hood if you want so there's that option you have to create dumber hoods to get low class jobs. But in any case, when I built enough residential while I put new industries, I never get the job problem anymore so....

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Highly educated people will work at low education jobs if there is not other option. If you have a wasteland of farms or factories or whatever other low education jobs, then that means you have too many jobs and not enough people. Or, you could just delete the low education factories. But that could potentially mess up your commercial stuff.

It's all a balancing game.

Copons

Is it just me is it is actually weird that you can have European districts in non-European maps, but not non-European districts in European maps?

I mean, I totally love the EU-only ploppables, but I'd also love to have some modern skyscraper-filled district. Do I have to resort to mods as always? :(

Hip Hop

oh wow,
had no idea this was coming.

I put about 18 hours into the game, but haven't touched it since June. I'll be buying the DLC for sure, need to get back in.

EDIT: Just bought!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it just me is it is actually weird that you can have European districts in non-European maps, but not non-European districts in European maps?

I mean, I totally love the EU-only ploppables, but I'd also love to have some modern skyscraper-filled district. Do I have to resort to mods as always? :(
Yeah that's silly. At least now you can just disable European at map creation and just turn it on then disable it.

Also can you really not have both ploppable kinds? That is silly. Is there a mod yet? I want everything once it's unlocked without needing to choose the fictional geographical location of the map.

I haven't started a new city yet. I spent 4 hours testing the expansion on an old map instead. The good news is all my mods seem to still work. Only a few buildings don't have lights yet. But I need to clean out my mods and assets anyway.

RoyalFool

Banned
Amazing how they are giving a large chunk of this away for free, considering they would probably have sold more copies of the expansion if they locked the day/night cycle behind it.

Picked up a copy, have zero time to play it right now but have to applaud their attitude towards the game.

samn

Amazing how they are giving a large chunk of this away for free, considering they would probably have sold more copies of the expansion if they locked the day/night cycle behind it.

If they locked day/night behind DLC, it would make the game more difficult to balance overall, especially as new expansions are added which would have to work both with and without day/night. So it seems most fundamental changes will be added as free updates. The Sims 3 did something similar I think.

Coolluck

I'm going to wait until the expansion is $10 or less and hopefully the mods will have been sorted out by then. Still, I barely heard about the existence of this a week ago at most so it's a welcome addition. Was trying to get back to the game but that will likely have to wait until mid-January now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can't wait to see what their next big expansion is. You can tell they have a lot of ideas still. I want a carnival. Though the zoo looks a but light on animals or action.

Also, I wish they'd make it so every population step (Village to Town to City to etc to etc) had its own day and night music. I love the music in SimCity SNES and how it changed with each population boom. All of them were basically rearrangements of the first one but they were awesome. Skylines still just has one song. I'm almost tempted to turn the music off and just play an extended loop of SimCity SNES music.

And while we're at it, seasons. We all want it. Hopefully the next update is Cities: Skylines Four Seasons or something. Bright grass and pink flowers and rain in spring, vibrant green grass in summer, brown grass and colorful trees in fall and bare trees and white snow covered ground and rooftops in winter. Plus the winter could bring problems like snowstorms that cause roads to be closed off for a day or a few fake hours. Snowplows and salt domes would be the next big service. They'd only work in the winter, but when they do, man you'll be ready. Plus in the fall and winter, the beachfront attractions would close. I mean you just know they gotta be thinking about this already. There's too many good ideas for seasons. Just make it so seasons are an option from city creation in case someone doesn't want them. Or they want to pretend their city is really far south.

Oh, and I still hate that I can't switch back to my desktop from the game (Command+Tab or Alt+Tab for you Windows people) if it's in fullscreen. I get locked to the game and nothing else. And quickly changing the resolution to windowed just fucks up the alignment of underground stuff like pipes and tunnels. Of course now that I said this, I tested it and it's working again. Maybe it's bugged and flakey. Or it's because I'm still only on the menu. Maybe it only works while at the main menu?

Crispy75

Oh, and I still hate that I can't switch back to my desktop from the game (Command+Tab or Alt+Tab for you Windows people) if it's in fullscreen. I get locked to the game and nothing else. And quickly changing the resolution to windowed just fucks up the alignment of underground stuff like pipes and tunnels. Of course now that I said this, I tested it and it's working again. Maybe it's bugged and flakey. Or it's because I'm still only on the menu. Maybe it only works while at the main menu?

Works everywhere for me; always has.

An entire city powered by solar is something out of sci-fi. Maybe a very small city, with as of now undeveloped power storage technology.

well, as of now I guess, but it's hardly sci-fi at the rate solar is growing and dropping in price (doubling every two years in capacity and dropping it's price by half)

Big Brett

I want to get this, but when I think about having to put another city together it feels like the burden of a chore more than a fun time :/ Maybe I'll just check out some streams.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Works everywhere for me; always has.
It stopped working for me for a long time. I was locked in. For the longest time I had to use windowed mode, but since I couldn't choose a 16:9 option on my 16:10 display (To account for menubar and Dock which fit a 16:9 window perfectly between them) I had to use the 1680x1050 option and have the game centered. It looked stupid. So glad it's working again. At least for me.

Anyway, is it feasible to only use water towers? I know they cost twice as much but I fucked up my shoreline (Stupid cliffs map has just a shoreline and no indication of water direction, and every time I moved the pumps they pulled the sewage towards them.) and switched to using them instead for now.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Anyone else losing a shitton of money when night comes? I lose like 300K. I make it up in the morning for some reason o.0. Aditionally... holy shit what a death wave just hit me. About 25K died and all mi hearses are over capacity

Anyone else losing a shitton of money when night comes? I lose like 300K. I make it up in the morning for some reason o.0. Aditionally... holy shit what a death wave just hit me. About 25K died and all mi hearses are over capacity
Do you use solar power plants?

Kinthalis

Banned
well, as of now I guess, but it's hardly sci-fi at the rate solar is growing and dropping in price (doubling every two years in capacity and dropping it's price by half)

The only reason it's droppingin price is due to Government subsidizing. The technology is just NOT scalable to the needs of an entire modern city. Nevermind one of the future.

Moltenix

Just loaded up one my big cities to see how it looks at night. I was getting sooo excited and BAM, all my solar power plants shut down on me and I lose power to most of the city.

Dayum, didn't see that coming!

Edit: Guess i'm not the only one.

Top Bottom