• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Snowfall |OT| We Build This City on Mods and Poo

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What's the most taxes people would be willing to pay? How do they work? Do people leave because of them and stop coming in? And does RCI demand come from outside people wanting to move here or is it just random? I just want to figure stuff out before I start a new city.

WGMBY

I was never make a stable city in the base hame. Guess this is as good excuse as any to jump back in.

I feel like I need a degree in transport engineering to make something that isn't a gridlocked mess

What's the most taxes people would be willing to pay? How do they work? Do people leave because of them and stop coming in? And does RCI demand come from outside people wanting to move here or is it just random? I just want to figure stuff out before I start a new city.

11% across all has carried me to 190k population.

Jintor

So I chose a European style map, is there a way to vary my buildings? These European fire houses and shit weird me out a little, but I'd just like some variety tbh

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

If there's jobs in your city, and residential space available to move in, people will come. I'd advise to play around. It's the best way to learn. The game unlocks features slowly as your population increases, so you learn step by step.

Are there any kind of mods that show the cursor's X and Y position for the entire map?

I want to build pixel perfect intersections. Let's say the entire map is 65536 pixels by 65536 pixels. I want to build an intersection on pixel 7281 x 7281. Is there a mod that would show me that?

Jintor

also is anybody else using the first person mod? lighting is flickering at night and i can't tell if it's because of the first person mod or maybe my AAO mod.

guess i'll just disable it and test.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If there's jobs in your city, and residential space available to move in, people will come. I'd advise to play around. It's the best way to learn. The game unlocks features slowly as your population increases, so you learn step by step.
I've been playing around since day one. Numerous cities and they all eventually fail.

But it's fun. I just want to find the right balance.

Edit: Another question. When you do delete a building, where do its occupants go? Someone implied above that they will indeed find a new home? If I were to zone a bunch of new residential area (While my RCI meter is at 0) and dezone an area of the same size, hypothetically the newly zoned area should be filled up by those same people?

How's the traffic now compared to when it released? That was my one big issue. I felt like I could get a good city down but the traffic would ruin it.

I really wanna check out night time in this!

Do the 'decorations' do anything apart from look pretty? I added a skatepark and kind of expect teenage leg injuries to rise. I'm assuming the game doesn't go into that level of depth though.

Ayt

Banned
I haven't bought the expansion itself, but I love how much just the day/night cycle just adds to the base game. I loaded up one of my in progress cities just to see how it looks, and I love it.

GFV7UMo.jpg

zwsR1og.jpg

cGNb3jJ.jpg

Started a new city. Loved that they added a "keep education low" policy, assuming that will help industry workers and I'm still left with industry begging for people. I have an entire zone of residential pretty close to it with tons of bus routes with that policy on. It's such a frustrating issue.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So far, I'm not really noticing that large of an impact on rush hour traffic relative to the night/day cycle.

SimCity's day/night traffic fluctuations was much more noticeable, but that's probably due to SimCity's worker/shopper mechanics being so much more explicit.

So far, I'm not really noticing that large of an impact on rush hour traffic relative to the night/day cycle.

SimCity's day/night traffic fluctuations was much more noticeable, but that's probably due to SimCity's worker/shopper mechanics being so much more explicit.

Haven't looked for that, I'll start now though.

Ranger X

Started a new city. Loved that they added a "keep education low" policy, assuming that will help industry workers and I'm still left with industry begging for people. I have an entire zone of residential pretty close to it with tons of bus routes with that policy on. It's such a frustrating issue.

You issue is that you don't have enough residential.
When I build enough of them relatively to the industries or commerce, I never get that issue anymore. And the game sometimes indicate there's no demand for residential when this happen but trust me, this is all lies ;)

Same here. So it did not even bothered reworking my public transportation network.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Haven't played Skylines in a while due to other distractions. Need to get around to picking up the DLC.

Cocaloch

I wanted to try out the new patch stuff before deciding to get the dlc, but the patch just causes my game to crash right before I finish loading my maps. Anyone else having that problem?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Curious, what are your rankings.

It's kind of hard to say really, since in my mind, the game that I've played the most, isn't always the game that I think is the best "game".

The original SimCity has lots of nostalgia value for me, and it is still a good game. One can play it on an emulator and still have a good time, if they can get past the graphics.

I didn't play SimCity 2000 much, and I don't think I even played SimCity 3 at all, but those games were out when I didn't have much time devoted to gaming, and I rather liked to play RPGs and FPSes instead. SimCity 2000 was good, though. I remember making dicks with the building editor.

According to Steam, I logged in 400+ hours playing SimCity 4. Great great game. Best SimCity game.

Steam also says I've played 140 hours of Skylines. I think I would put it on par with SimCity 4 as they are both really good games.

Now, I'm not sure how many hours I've logged into SimCity5 since I uninstalled Origin, but it's a lot. Now, SimCity5 isn't a good game, and it has lots of problems, but the underlying simulation aspect, despite all its flaws, did fascinate me. I enjoyed the challenge of managing the agents, and it provided a kind of challenge that tickled me. I don't know why, but Cities Skylines doesn't tickle that itch in me the same way SimCity 5 did.

One of my criticisms of Cities Skylines is actually that it's too easy, and there are a lot of variables that actually don't really matter and don't progress your game to an inevitable failure state.

I still think Skylines is much much better as a finished game and a product that SimCity 5 was, though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wanted to try out the new patch stuff before deciding to get the dlc, but the patch just causes my game to crash right before I finish loading my maps. Anyone else having that problem?
I believe a modded put out a hot fix for that. Search the workshop.

Alternatively try uninstalling and reinstalling the game. (I hope you were smart and synced your cities to the cloud. If not try manually backing them up first.)

I wish the idea of starting a new city wasn't so . . . tedious? The early stages are great for a new player, but once I'm aware of all the systems, I kinda just want to go for it--unlocks be damned.

low-G

Oh, WAY better than Sim City 4, IMO.

It's more like Sim City SNES level quality (even if it's more complex than SC2000)

P.S. people liked Sim City 4?

My scale is Sim City 2000 > Sim City SNES > Cities Skylines > Sim Ant (all other Sim City games are garbage and thus other Sim games bleed into and SURPASS actual Sim City titles) > The Sims > the "garbage" before mentioned

How hardware demanding is the game?

Runs smoothly for me on a i5-3570k and a GTX 770, so I'd be shocked if you had any trouble.

I wish the idea of starting a new city wasn't so . . . tedious? The early stages are great for a new player, but once I'm aware of all the systems, I kinda just want to go for it--unlocks be damned.

Yeah it doesn't take too long to get to the interesting part but the very beginning is definitely a bit tedious once you've done it already.

How good is the base game? On a scale of 1 to SimCity 2000?
It's easily as good as any SimCity game, except it's more of a sandbox game and lacks so much of the "mayor" aspect that makes SimCity great.

Once you start making money there is no real challenge, other than managing traffic.

It was always frustrating to build something like a big sports stadium and watch it have nearly zero impact on your city.

Haven't played the game in a while, but will get back into it soon. I'm hoping After Dark improves things.

Dennis

Banned
It's easily as good as any SimCity game, except it's more of a sandbox game and lacks so much of the "mayor" aspect that makes SimCity great.

Once you start making money there is no real challenge, other than managing traffic.

It was always frustrating to build something like a big sports stadium and watch it have nearly zero impact on your city.

That is pretty hype-deflating to be honest.

That is pretty hype-deflating to be honest.
Don't get me wrong, it's still a great city builder and I have no desire to go back to playing SimCity4 (skipped 5 altogether). It's just that you never feel like a mayor and the only thing to really do is expand, rebuild areas, or fix traffic.

It's definitely worth the modest price and dropping 100+ hours into.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Haven't played the game in a while, but will get back into it soon. I'm hoping After Dark improves things.

What, specifically, in the gameplay comprises the "mayor" aspect that you mentioned? The other SimCity games were pretty sandboxy as well. Skylines has ordinances and tax adjustment and transport adjustment options too.

Cocaloch

I believe a modded put out a hot fix for that. Search the workshop.

Alternatively try uninstalling and reinstalling the game. (I hope you were smart and synced your cities to the cloud. If not try manually backing them up first.)

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and the mod didn't work out for me? It freezes around 95% instead of 99% so I'm guess it's another issue. I hope they fix it fairly soon, since I've been really looking forward to looking at my cities at night!

Ranger X

Then what's fantastic with this game is that the stuff unlock once. Have a new game after that and everything is there :)

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great city builder and I have no desire to go back to playing SimCity4 (skipped 5 altogether). It's just that you never feel like a mayor and the only thing to really do is expand, rebuild areas, or fix traffic.

It's definitely worth the modest price and dropping 100+ hours into.

No sure I get you. Its exactly what we were doing in SimCity4.

Then what's fantastic with this game is that the stuff unlock once. Have a new game after that and everything is there :)

No sure I get you. Its exactly what we were doing in SimCity4.

Every time I start a new game, I have to wait for population goals to be hit for that stuff to unlock.

Top Bottom