• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Snowfall |OT| We Build This City on Mods and Poo

jtb

Banned
I am really disappointed with CO's support of this game. It's been beyond abysmal. Even Paradox doesn't stoop this low with their mainline expansions, which are largely terrible and cosmetic these days.

The game needs a sequel that's been rebuilt from the ground up.

Ranger X

so should I get all three expacs (Snowfall, Mass Transit, Disasters) or just one?

Snowfall and Mass Transit are cool.
Snowfall add a new theme for maps (snow) and it adds interesting systems like managing the snow removal service and a building heating system. I thought its pretty cool.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Cross-posting from the Steam thread:

Does anyone in here play Cities: Skylines on a lower-spec PC? My specs pretty easily fall above the minimum specs (i5 2500S @ 2.70 GHz, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 6570), so I could probably play it on low-mid settings, but I've heard that once your city starts to get bigger, it starts getting pretty processor-intensive.

I've wanted Skylines for a while now, and I'm just kinda torn between the $40 PS4 version that I can't really afford but would run fine, or the $7.50 PC version that I can afford but would probably run into issues with later on.

(And seriously, putting the PC version on sale for $7.50 the same week the $40 PS4 version comes out is certainly something. :lol)

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Cross-posting from the Steam thread:

I played a bit on my Surface Pro 2 during vacation, ran quite well in 720p and some low/medium settings (20-30 FPS).

Specs :
i5 4200U (2 cores, 4 threads), 1.6 GHz (boost to 2.3 GHz), yours is 4 cores, 4 threads at 2.7 GHz so it's superior
8 GB RAM
integrated Intel GPU, your Radeon should beat it easily.

Go for it, and if it does not run well, you can still get a refund on Steam if you play less than 2 hours.

I am really disappointed with CO's support of this game. It's been beyond abysmal. Even Paradox doesn't stoop this low with their mainline expansions, which are largely terrible and cosmetic these days.

Hasn't the game been out for over two years and seen at least 4 major expansions in that time?

Not to mention an incredibly active mod community? What more are you expecting besides a sequel?

jtb

Banned
Hasn't the game been out for over two years and seen at least 4 major expansions in that time?

Not to mention an incredibly active mod community? What more are you expecting besides a sequel?

Non-cosmetic changes to the game?

The mod community can't rewrite the basic systems of the game. (Much as they've tried, admirably).

The game's systems are incredibly facile and the gameplay loop is pretty dull. This game desperately needs its In Nomine or Rush Hour.

jtb

Banned
Like, I have 150 or so hours logged on Cities Skylines. I think I have 500+ hours logged on Cities in Motion 2. That's just sad.

(For me, and for CO)

(Okay, maybe moreso for me)

statham

I just want to say I approve of the title, We built this city was the first 45 I ever bought, I saved my allowance, rode my bike to the record store and bought it. I crashed on the way home don't remember how, but the 45 was in several pieces, all of my allowance money. gone. I then taped it from radio, and listened to it through a knock-off cassette player that had no rewind for $17

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Eh, I'm a little disappointed in the DLC's so far, many of them I have no desire to buy, but the game itself is still outstanding and awesome. I'm very happy with it. :)

spiritfox

Cities: Skylines - Green Cities is adding new ways for players to build earth-friendly towns. The expansion adds 350 new assets to the core game, adding a massive selection of new visual options, complete with eco-friendly buildings, organic shops, electric vehicles, and new services designed to make pollution a quaint notion of the past.

I don't know, seems pretty meh. Pollution's not a big issue even in the base game.

The game is nice, I really enjoyed playing it with my friend.

But I'm going to return it to EB Games. After putting in a lot of time, it feels bareboned. No doubt because we don't have the same DLC or mod support the PC version has and I'd rather take back the $70 AUD I paid for the game. I might pick it up when cheaper because I do see potential with it, but for now it didn't meet my expectations.

jtb

Banned
Where does CO come up with this stuff?

Eh, I'm a little disappointed in the DLC's so far, many of them I have no desire to buy, but the game itself is still outstanding and awesome. I'm very happy with it. :)

I'm more of a urban planning type than a city-builder (i.e. crafting a city that looks just they way you want) so the underlying simplicity of the systems really limits the game for me.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Snowfall doesn't even add shit like temperature control for city architecture? the fuck

I haven't had too much time to play on a snow map - but from what I saw, you can add heated pipes for your town, as well as needing to have snow removal for your roads.

Jintor

i feel like they should have a reasonable idea of what they need to do to rework the primary mechanics of the game to make it more entertaining/systems driven/manageable rather than continually layering new mechanics on top of a kinda busted system.

Their mod sorting/assets/presentation also needs a lot of work, especially coming back to this after a year or two away.

anyway, hopefully it's just a side team pumping out DLC/assets while there's a main team working on a total revamp

spiritfox

In terms of modern day setting city builders I still think SimCity 4 has yet to be beat. Cities Skylines has a lot of improvements, but given the number of years since that, it just doesn't improve enough compared to SimCity 4.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
i really liked banished, but it was a one-man show and it was extremely limited in scope after a certain point

Man I still love playing Banished. I got all of the achievements and have over something like 130 hours played with it. Great game IMHO, but very different in scope to something like SimCity or CSL. More like the Dark Souls of city builders.

e90Mark

In terms of modern day setting city builders I still think SimCity 4 has yet to be beat. Cities Skylines has a lot of improvements, but given the number of years since that, it just doesn't improve enough compared to SimCity 4.

I agree.

I haven't played either in awhile, but I think the biggest thing that annoyed me about SimCity 4 was the city size. I believe that's something you can get over in single player, but I liked to play online with a couple friends. Other than that, I loved it. Shame it had a rough launch, and whatever else that brought it down.

I really can't get over the aesthetic of SC4 either. The art is great to me.

You can see CO is trying to add some of the small things that SC4 has through DLC, but it doesn't necessarily work the same. I've bought the first like 3, and a lot of it is forgettable. I think they missed the mark with Snowfall, as I was thinking the city could have seasons instead of torrential snowfall all the time.

I agree.

I haven't played either in awhile, but I think the biggest thing that annoyed me about SimCity 4 was the city size. I believe that's something you can get over in single player, but I liked to play online with a couple friends. Other than that, I loved it. Shame it had a rough launch, and whatever else that brought it down.

I really can't get over the aesthetic of SC4 either. The art is great to me.

You can see CO is trying to add some of the small things that SC4 has through DLC, but it doesn't necessarily work the same. I've bought the first like 3, and a lot of it is forgettable. I think they missed the mark with Snowfall, as I was thinking the city could have seasons instead of torrential snowfall all the time.

Sim City 4 had a rough launch ?

jtb

Banned
SC4 is still GOAT. But its grid system feels so archaic in this day and age.

And yes, SC4 was total garbage before Rush Hour. Even after Rush Hour, there are really basic things in that game that were broken before modders came along (while other things are permanently broken because Maxis had to ship the thing out the door and never support it ever again).

What SC4 got right is that you don't have to sim every fucking person in your city. I don't know why this is a "requirement" of modern city builders. It kills your performance and doesn't actually add anything to your game. Just tell me the aggregate commute patterns and I'll fix the rest.

i feel like they should have a reasonable idea of what they need to do to rework the primary mechanics of the game to make it more entertaining/systems driven/manageable rather than continually layering new mechanics on top of a kinda busted system.

Their mod sorting/assets/presentation also needs a lot of work, especially coming back to this after a year or two away.

anyway, hopefully it's just a side team pumping out DLC/assets while there's a main team working on a total revamp

Yup, this is my hope as well. Main team is chugging away at CS2 while they have like two guys in the basement developing trash assets for the game.

But you never know with Paradox. They're very content to keep building pointless add-ons on top of a broken, half-cooked game (cough HOI4 cough Stellaris etc.) without actually fixing anything or giving us a sequel that does.

Jintor

i'd love to hear about ways to simulate aggregate traffic patterns without more individual cims. That does sound more effective, but I dunno how you'd do it

spiritfox

I'm all for agent based simulation and I think it's better than statistical modeling, but the one in Cities Skylines is just too simple. I get that CO wants to make it run on even weaker computers, but their insistence on not improving traffic even though mods have shown that it could be done is pretty annoying.

I also don't like how they're still stuck in the single use zone and car traffic mindsets, when better urban planning concepts have been floating around for decades since SimCity. Also their small zone lots and fixed size service buildings and rectangular lots but those are smaller issues.

jtb

Banned
I like statistical aggregation because it limits dumb micromanaging and resembles the actual challenges and solutions of urban planning a lot better. Maybe a happy medium is just have the agent:citizen ratio a lot higher (i.e. 1:100 instead of 1:25 or whatever it's currently pegged at).

Right now, the agents basically exist to do one thing: drive their car. So the game devolves into a traffic simulator; every problem your city runs into boils down to a traffic bottleneck that's preventing supplies or cims from getting from point A to point B. No surprise, given CO's roots. (Again, poured 500+ hours into CIM2 because I am a traffic nerd) But, then, at the very least, give me waaaay more tools to solve these traffic problems.

spiritfox

I like statistical aggregation because it limits dumb micromanaging and resembles the actual challenges and solutions of urban planning a lot better. Maybe a happy medium is just have the agent:citizen ratio a lot higher (i.e. 1:100 instead of 1:25 or whatever it's currently pegged at).

Right now, the agents basically exist to do one thing: drive their car. So the game devolves into a traffic simulator; every problem your city runs into boils down to a traffic bottleneck that's preventing supplies or cims from getting from point A to point B. No surprise, given CO's roots. (Again, poured 500+ hours into CIM2 because I am a traffic nerd) But, then, at the very least, give me waaaay more tools to solve these traffic problems.

In terms of agent simulation I would like more stuff to simulate. Maybe not on the level of Tropico or Banished, but right now yeah they're just traffic. I want stuff like needs and wants and political views or stuff like that. Maybe statistical aggregation is better for stuff like that, but I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, I want to assign turning lanes and time traffic lights and shit like that too. I know there are mods that do that but all these should be in the base game.

Jintor

one of the things i always think about is a two way road that opens up onto a highway and while you can turn into or off one of the highway lanes, you can't cross across to the other lane, so it doesn't generate traffic snarls.

i have one at the end of my street and it's super useful. but not existent at all in the sim atm.

jtb

Banned
Just give me density or give me death. Three levels? really? Even SC4 had 8 stages for lots before you threw in mods into the equation. It's called Cities Skylines ffs. Give me skyscrapers, are don't you dare only put 20 people in them

Ranger X

But what do you guy expected really?
When was this game supposed to be a revolution for the genre or anything? Those guys are SC4 fans and they tried to match it. That's all. Its clear as day since the first day that this game would go "over" what SC4 were and no game did it ever anyways so.... what did you expect? City Skylines meets my expectations because they were realistic.

Also, there's other stuff of concern in this thread...

- There were 3 levels or density in Sim City 4, not 8.
- No City Skylines does nothing (almost) that SC4 did not.
- Yes simulating every citizen wouldn't be needed but that's what they wanted to do. Old games probably didn't have that because it was too much for the time. You can't expect a DOS or SNES game doing that.

spiritfox

What we expect and what we want are two different things. I knew what CS was going in since they have already shown the game multiple times before launch. But I still want more, better. If you just keep doing same the things a game over a decade old has done then why would I play this game over that?

Jintor

p. much

i expected this, sure

but i want more. i mean the fact that there aren't other city building games anymore makes me want more.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
one of the things i always think about is a two way road that opens up onto a highway and while you can turn into or off one of the highway lanes, you can't cross across to the other lane, so it doesn't generate traffic snarls.

i have one at the end of my street and it's super useful. but not existent at all in the sim atm.

You can do this with Traffic Manager Presidential Edition and manually designating turning lanes.

So as this wouldn't run on my Macbook Pro I've decided to sell that and picked up a second hand Alienware laptop instead.

It's an i7 6700HQ with a GTX 1060, this should be enough to get the game at acceptable frame rates right? It's only got 8GB of RAM so I guess that will be the first thing I end up upgrading though.

pislit

Green Cities???!!?

How about industry complexes that allow you to manage profiteering your city with farming, manufacturing, etc etc, then slide it out in transportation. Man, we don't need this game to be cute, we want it to be a simulation.

Edit: looking at the trailer, this expansion may involve farming? idk will check paradox's forum.

jtb

Banned
But what do you guy expected really?
When was this game supposed to be a revolution for the genre or anything? Those guys are SC4 fans and they tried to match it. That's all. Its clear as day since the first day that this game would go "over" what SC4 were and no game did it ever anyways so.... what did you expect? City Skylines meets my expectations because they were realistic.

Also, there's other stuff of concern in this thread...

- There were 3 levels or density in Sim City 4, not 8.
- No City Skylines does nothing (almost) that SC4 did not.
- Yes simulating every citizen wouldn't be needed but that's what they wanted to do. Old games probably didn't have that because it was too much for the time. You can't expect a DOS or SNES game doing that.

It came out two years ago. I expected them to be building on their great initial work on the game, not releasing stupid cosmetic DLCs left and right. I've happily supported their garbage DLC every time, but I don't think it's asking too much for them to, you know, support their game? Even Paradox still does it every once in a while.

Sim City 4 has 8 stages for lots. With basic mod support, it goes up to 14 or 15 iirc.

Cities Skylines has three. (Maybe four, I can't remember if the final stage counts as another stage or not). Not talking about H/M/L density lots, talking about what sprouts up after you plop them down. The biggest buildings in SC4 held thousands of people, while the biggest buildings in CS service maybe 30.

Ranger X

p. much

i expected this, sure

but i want more. i mean the fact that there aren't other city building games anymore makes me want more.

Yes indeed. But it took SO LONG for any game to even match SC4 that I was happy with what City Skylines achieved. But yeah, its always good to dream. I would LOVE a crazy detailed city builder but... who wants to make it? :(

I'd actually love to do one myself at some point though. I am currently creating a Metroidvania in my spare time but I'd have ideas for a completely new type of city building game where I could incorporate some previously unseen details. Anyhow, dreaming is a good thing anyways :)

Not talking about H/M/L density lots, talking about what sprouts up after you plop them down.

Oh I see that you mean there though.

Ranger X

Did anybody knows about or made a mod which would do the following:

- Decide what lane is which direction
- Decide if there's an intersection or not (per example, on large roads I would decide that an exit is only for one side of the large road instead of always creating an intersection)

Thanks all
(I did check on the workshop and found nothing the likes... :(

spiritfox

Did anybody knows about or made a mod which would do the following:

- Decide what lane is which direction
- Decide if there's an intersection or not (per example, on large roads I would decide that an exit is only for one side of the large road instead of always creating an intersection)

Thanks all
(I did check on the workshop and found nothing the likes... :(

I think the lane direction and intersections are hardcoded, but TM:pE allows you to edit intersections to make it so that only selected lanes can turn or go straight. The base game also allows you to remove traffic lights now so traffic will continue as though there's no intersection there.

You can also get around the lane thing by using several smaller sized roads but that takes up more space and it's a pain to set up.

Top Bottom