• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities with the highest quality of life in the world - Deutsche Bank 2017

Nice to see Massachusetts represent. OP state.

Oddly... the photo they picked for Boston is ... uhhh... Not Boston...

zc4nFiU.png

*edit*

These idiots... it's Boston, Lincolnshire, UK. BusinessInsider seriously does the shittiest work when they steal articles and turn them into click galleries. I looked at this picture and thought, "where the fuck is this ... goddam Malden or something?"

Unsurprisingly, they sourced the image from a 2015 Article titled "The 13 Unhappiest Places to Live in Britain."

Most of these lists are just full of cities that are becoming to expensive to live in. If you don't already live in them or have inflated wages you can forget about it unless you want to live in a tiny box.

Nabbis

Most of these lists are just full of cities that are becoming to expensive to live in. If you don't already live in them or have inflated wages you can forget about it unless you want to live in a tiny box.

The people who have the money to make a move based on this crap would probably not even live in these cities given the opportunity anyway.

While Vienna is great to live in, to any person who is considering moving here, be aware that the real estate market in this city is extremely bloated and overpriced. I got really lucky getting a fairly cheap one-room-apartment, but costs are absolutely insane.

If Scotland goes independent, I might consider moving to Edinburgh though. This is one of the reasons btw:
Clearly weather wasn't a factor in the rankings, or Wellington and Edinburgh would have been much lower. One's always raining, the other is always raining.

Barrage

Wish they threw in ages for these lists. Ottawa is a Top 5 city for me in my late 40s/early 50s. In my late 20s/30s? Naaaaaaah.

Audioboxer

While Vienna is great to live in, to any person who is considering moving here, be aware that the real estate market in this city is extremely bloated and overpriced. I got really lucky getting a fairly cheap one-room-apartment, but costs are absolutely insane.

If Scotland goes independent, I might consider moving to Edinburgh though. This is one of the reasons btw:

Ironically a big battle for that is convincing Edinburgh itself

Yes vs No

05fgusi.png

It can be a bit of a mini-London, so there are lots of pro-Union/UK people living in and working in Edinburgh.

Glasgow is superior, confirmed ;)

k4WrcrT.png

But yeah, the weather is a huge issue for many in Scotland. The past 10 days or so have been insane, I'm pretty burnt. Normally very short summers, and very long, cold and wet winters. Even some English who come up here to try and live can't stick it. The weather is often much better in the South.

As much as I think Scotland is a decent place to live, if you have the cash behind you I think some cities in Europe in countries with health care are more intriguing. Especially weather wise. If all of the UK stays together as well, Brexit is happening, so, yeah.

Zaru

If you actually compare square meter prices among popular cities, Vienna isn't bad at all. It's just high compared to smaller Austrian cities.

SeanC

Boston?

Isn't the city trying to ban glassware at bars because patrons keep stabbing each other with shards during fights?

Ironically a big battle for that is convincing Edinburgh itself

Yes vs No

05fgusi.png

It can be a bit of a mini-London, so there are lots of pro-Union/UK people living in and working in Edinburgh.

Glasgow is superior, confirmed ;)

k4WrcrT.png

Hah, well it's a hypothetical anyway. :)

But yeah, the weather is a huge issue for many in Scotland. The past 10 days or so have been insane, I'm pretty burnt. Normally very short summers, and very long, cold and wet winters. Even some English who come up here to try and live can't stick it. The weather is often much better in the South.

As much as I think Scotland is a decent place to live, if you have the cash behind you I think some cities in Europe in countries with health care are more intriguing. Especially weather wise. If all of the UK stays together as well, Brexit is happening, so, yeah.

I love the rain, I love the cold, and summer, heat and people's enthusiasm about sunny summers and hot temperatures can go fuck themselves.
Scotland would be the home of my dreams.

Mexico and Brazil cities but the list considers safety? mmm...

What do you mean? They are near the bottom on the safety index score. You mean it’s so bad, they shouldn’t make the list? And talking of safety index, big thumbs up to Singapore. One of my better buys. Really lives up to that number one ranking from my personal experience. I once lost my wallet there and got it back a week later with the cash intact lol.

TBiddy

I'm assuming this study is focused on white people.

Why is that? Copenhagen is generally well-known as a very welcoming place for minorities. 25% of the inhabitants are either immigrants or descendants of immigrants (both western and non-western). When you look at the votes, there's a large majority of "far-left" votes in Copenhagen.

If you actually compare square meter prices among popular cities, Vienna isn't bad at all. It's just high compared to smaller Austrian cities.

Also it's much nicer and way cheaper to live in one of vienna's outer suburbs (of course there are exeptions). Vienna isn't that big (scale wise) and has superb public transportation. so going "into town" is a breeze while you can still enjoy the quietness of your own property. maybe even with your own garden.
The climate is also significantly better outside of downtown. Summers are brutal there while moderate outside.

personally I would rather buy a house in North Burgenland. Austria's most underrated state. it's maximum an hour to vienna with car or train, it's dirt cheap (lowest real estate prices in austria) and absolutly gorgeous (I like the hills and the lake(s)).
N9yNC9d.jpg

RKG3Y4d.jpg

mmhhhh

spekkeh

Banned
This seems like a list where they threw together some KPI's and didn't really check whether the outcome made any sense tbh.
Or I mean, I guess people from Deutsche Bank would be okay with living in Zurich.

Is traffic commute only accounting for traffic in cars or public transportation is also taken into account?

Because Paris being 23 seems weird to me with the great public transportation we have there.

Johannesburg higher than Tokyo?... How?

Yup, a bit nonsensical if you think about it. They've got the weightage wrong. Certain indexes like safety should be more important. How is it better quality of life when crime is widespread? Also affordability should be less important. Just because it’s expensive doesn’t mean you’re enjoying lesser quality lol. Could explain certain notable omissions like Monaco, Vancouver, Barcelona etc.

Wellington scores high but come on, most people who look at this survey subtract points for not being in the center of, well, anything.
And that goes for Sydney and melbourne as well. Happy observing a good chunk of the future online only (with an internet from 5 years ago) then thinking, cool, well, we may get that here a year later, and more expensive ... then the antipodes is great.

Lol, these lists are stupid.

Edinburgh is a great city, with lovely people, but with that weather? And people literally are unhappy for large parts of the year due to the weather. They have these happiness indexes, for whatever they are worth, Scotland is apparently actually an unhappy place, apparently. Tons of people from Edinburgh move to the South East, because they literally cannot take the weather after a while. Honestly, the weather is just grim and terrible, there. Literally have a Scottish friend who loves Edinburgh but just cannot live there, like many of her friends.

Zurich? I mean, Zurich is just a corporate city for shallow rich bankers. Everyone there is a banker. And it's insanely expensive too, and boring, because its a city that just caters to bankers. Everyone is wearing a suit. Cost over $15 to get a McDonalds meal, and bars of regular chocolate cost $8. Good and boring quality of life if you're an investment banker.

May as well throw in Monte Carlo. At least that place has some life and energy, and is not as expensive, far more beautiful, and also mostly for rich people, but not as bad as Zurich.

Boston is kinda small, the downtown. Got lots of rundown bits too. These lists use metrics that produces results that don't make sense.

medrew

Clearly weather wasn't a factor in the rankings, or Wellington and Edinburgh would have been much lower. One's always raining, the other is always raining.

It doesn't rain that much in Wellington, relative I guess. Always windy, though. When it does rain easy to spot the tourist (using an umbrella in vain)

Wellington scores high but come on, most people who look at this survey subtract points for not being in the center of, well, anything.
And that goes for Sydney and melbourne as well. Happy observing a good chunk of the future online only (with an internet from 5 years ago) then thinking, cool, well, we may get that here a year later, and more expensive ... then the antipodes is great.

Internet in NZ is fantastic now. 1 gbs with unlimited data is far more than I can use.

Not sure I would put Wellington at the too though. Maybe a great place to live for a year, or retire in.

NateDog

Spent a short while in Edinburgh last year but not too surprised at its inclusion, in fact we've already been hoping to move there some day.

Top Bottom