• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

city fights gangs with classical music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
TACOMA, Wash. - City authorities, fed up with gang activity in public places, are taking Bach their bus stop.
ADVERTISEMENT

Transit workers are installing speakers this week to pump classical music from Seattle's KING-FM into the Tacoma Mall Transit Center. The tactic is designed to disperse young criminals who make drug deals at the bus stop or use public transportation to circulate between the mall and other trouble-prone places.

The attack by Bach, Brahms and Beethoven follows the theory that prompted the city to stage pinochle games on dangerous street corners: Jolting the routine in such spots throws criminals off balance.

"It's based on routine activity theory and situational crime prevention. You mix different types of activities in locations that are crime-ridden to change the composition of the environment," said psychologist Jacqueline Helfgott, who chairs the Criminal Justice Department at Seattle University.

Skeptics include Tony Wilson, a bus driver for 18 years.

"It could do one of two things: It could calm the beast, or it could just stir things up," Wilson said. "I think the reason we don't have music on the buses is that you can't please everyone. It would just cause drama."

If the stream of divertimentos, scherzos and polonaises reduces disorder at the mall, speakers may be installed at more bus stops, said Rod Baker, chief of public safety for Pierce Transit.

"We want to create an atmosphere that is safe for our passengers," Baker said. "If this has an impact on encouraging people to move elsewhere instead of hanging around and loitering around an area, then why not?"

Vrahmel Obleanis, 19, playing a Nintendo GameBoy at the mall bus stop, said troublemakers won't like the orchestral strains, but they'll probably just move somewhere out of earshot.

"They'll say, 'This is whack,' and go over and hang out at the mall or by Babies 'R' Us," Obleanis said. "The music isn't going to change the attitude of the kids."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070730...stop_mozart;_ylt=AhWjb0sfCxn99x_d.8liVpjtiBIF

this is pretty weird :lol

el jacko

Hah! Unconventional, I like it. Besides, who wouldn't want to listen to classical music? It'd be particularly nice on a crowded bus/subway; it'd take some of the edge off the commute.

It'd be cool if this works out, and they started doing it in NYC on the subways.

or maybe the music will have the gangs starting to do A clockwork Orange like antics. Nothing like rape with some orchestral music in the backround

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
I'd wear the get-up every day and beat people with canes.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
In Saints Row on the 360, they have a Classical Music station and it is the best music, bar none, to cause manic destruction to.

JayDubya

Banned
You know the first thing that came to mind was Clockwork Orange. And that's been done.

The second thing that came to mind was "JETS *snap* JETS *snap* SHARKS *snap* SHARKS *snap*"

Gowans

They do this at my local Bus Station, I dont think it makes a difference, once I was sat there and then Abba came on I wanted to die!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What you need to do is develop a martial art that is the set to the rhythm of classical music.... then take your style downtown and rule the streets.

mattx5

City authorities, fed up with gang activity in public places, are taking Bach their bus stop.

It's funny because this makes no sense whatsoever when you say it properly.
Almost genius.

Pellham

Banned
so what happens when gangs start getting into classical music? its stupid to assume that gangs would hate that stuff.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This isn't new. The 7-11's in my city have been doing this for a decade. Country, too. The kids hate it. :lol

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
"They'll say, 'This is whack,' and go over and hang out at the mall or by Babies 'R' Us," Obleanis said.
:lol

Do you think they'll rate and time the playlist so that music at higher levels of whack-ness will play during more dangerous times of day?

temp

posting on contract only
MercuryLS said:
GTA3 was best played when tuned to the classical channel. Maybe this will make them more dangerous? :O
Or they'll be having more fun, anyway.

D-Fens

bishoptl said:
This isn't new. The 7-11's in my city have been doing this for a decade. Country, too. The kids hate it. :lol

The 7-11 by my school plays classical music all the time, pretty loud too. If that's the reason, then :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom