• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth announced, Fall 2014, PC [Trailer, Details]

Armaros

I think Sony fans got spoiled by so many indie ports and now they're acting like they're entitled to port of every promising pc game.

A few turn based strategy games that are simple enough on the CPU to process on consoles (or has a dumbed-down version specifically for console) means that every single turn based strategy game should go on the PS4. Even if the bigger ones most likely will slow to a crawl due to the weak CPUs in consoles.

Next think you know they will be asking for Hearts of Iron or Europa Universalis on consoles.

Stat!

thats true but tbh civ 6 would feel way too soon. CIV V and this game can easily sit along side each other.

Right. Civ V did come out in 2010 though even though BNW came out last year.

But don't you have Civ V for that? Beyond earth isn't a numbered main release so it seems to be a spin off for people who liked games like Alpha Centauri. Perhaps Civilization: Beyond Earth will become its own series within the Civilization name?
I do. But there are issues in Civ V that need to be addressed and I would welcome a Civ VI to change it. Im not saying people shouldn't have their own Sci-fi civ game, but that I would have liked for myself to see a Civ VI trailer. I'm skeptical. I'll wait for more details before making a judgment.

You should be playing Paradox games if that's so important to you. Civ is pretty tangentially related to actual history.

I know. Ive been meaning to try Europa Universalis IV but Im waiting for a sale.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Not sure if this a low-end CPU or not (I don't know all that much about computers/laptops) but this stock HP laptop with "AMD A8-4500M APU Radeon HD Graphics 1.90Ghz" plays really well with Civ 5 I've found. I can play on the biggest maps and it works fantastic. Only problem is slight graphical glitches and low FPS when reloading a save, but after a few minutes, and it is done loading everything, its pretty smooth.

Civ 5 is one of the few games that actually will take advantage of multiple CPU cores, up to 8 I believe.

aaaaah no more William Morgan Sheppard as the narrator by the sounds of things

10414208_ori.jpg

You may remember his from Star Trek (both TNG and New Film), Dr Who, Mad Men, Dexter, Afro Samurai, Transformers, The Prestige... just to name a few :p

Maybe they'll bring back Leonard Nimoy

Zarx

I could go for this, the only problem is how I'm going to find the time to play it. Between Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Sui generis, Batman: Arkham Knight etc there are far too many dozen plus hour games coming out this year. Add in the titles I still need to pick up like Age of Wonders 3 and everything else coming out there just isn't enough time in the day.

SparkTR

I could go for this, the only problem is how I'm going to find the time to play it. Between Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Sui generis, Batman: Arkham Knight etc there are far too many dozen plus hour games coming out this year. Add in the titles I still need to pick up like Age of Wonders 3 and everything else coming out there just isn't enough time in the day.

I'm having the same issue, but I'm still buying them to support the devs. My backlog is already over 400 games, but damnit I'll finish them one day.

BeesEight

This looks interesting. I wonder if the relative success of X-com aided in getting this accepted for development.

I am intrigued and will follow. Not sure if it's something I would grab on release but perhaps I'll change my mind when more information is revealed.

Oh man. You won't be dissapointed.

Given Paradoxes marketing habits, it's probably best to wait on EUIV until they've released a version that bundles all the inevitable DLC. At least, that's what I'm doing.

SparkTR

This looks interesting. I wonder if the relative success of X-com aided in getting this accepted for development.

I am intrigued and will follow. Not sure if it's something I would grab on release but perhaps I'll change my mind when more information is revealed.

I'm pretty sure the success of Civ V got this greenlit, the game plus the expansions had massive legs. An Alpha Centauri 2 is pretty much every Civ fans wet dream, and this is that in everything but name.

Wiktor

Given Paradoxes marketing habits, it's probably best to wait on EUIV until they've released a version that bundles all the inevitable DLC. At least, that's what I'm doing.
To me huge part of the fun is getting back to the game with each expansion pack and playing it differently based on what's added.

BeesEight

I'm pretty sure the success of Civ V got this greenlit, the game plus the expansions had massive legs. An Alpha Centauri 2 is pretty much every Civ fans wet dream, and this is that in everything but name.

Was V more successful than IV? I thought IV was pretty big but we didn't get any indication of some sci-fi themed game despite lots of people asking for an Alpha Centauri 2 for as long as I remember.

Granted, I never played AC and we really have no idea how long this has been in development. I'm just glad we're seeing a (potential) shift from things like Civ Rev and that MMO (which I know isn't being developed by Firaxis but still).

To me huge part of the fun is getting back to the game with each expansion pack and playing it differently based on what's added.

Ah, fair enough. I picked up EUIII after all was released and I just can't imagine playing it without some of the later features they added.

Fireblend

Banned
Yes. YES. Firaxis truly is one of the best developers of our time. I can't fucking wait for this. That trailer almost made me tear up.

SparkTR

Was V more successful than IV? I thought IV was pretty big but we didn't get any indication of some sci-fi themed game despite lots of people asking for an Alpha Centauri 2 for as long as I remember.

Granted, I never played AC and we really have no idea how long this has been in development. I'm just glad we're seeing a (potential) shift from things like Civ Rev and that MMO (which I know isn't being developed by Firaxis but still).

We have no complete info about units sold, but the adoption of DLC and digital bundles likely allowed Civ V to become a much bigger and more persistent cash cow than previous ones.

Durante

Was V more successful than IV?
I don't think there's any hard data, but Civilization V is 3.5 years old now and it's still consistently in the top 5 most played games on Steam. It currently has about 50k people playing. It's probably one of the most successful strategy games of the decade. And then you have a large chunk of those people buying expansions on top of that, and maybe even DLC.

SparkTR

I wonder if we can import our Civ V saves. Once that game ends with a science victory this one begins, longest Civ round ever.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think there's any hard data, but Civilization V is 3.5 years old now and it's still consistently in the top 5 most played games on Steam. It currently has about 50k people playing. It's probably one of the most successful strategy games of the decade. And then you have a large chunk of those people buying expansions on top of that, and maybe even DLC.
As of late 2012 the series (all five games plus expansion packs) had done 11 million copies: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204598504578081043913505274

It's not a huge seller by any means, but it's not very costly either, so it's a good source of digital revenue.

munroe

That trailer was quite amazing.

Really looking forward to this new iteration of Civ, enjoyed Civ V and all of the earlier versions.

I just hope that Firaxis are not trying to rush this, when Civ V was released, it was, quite terrible, so many features were missing, glitches, unbalanced, but now, after continuous support from the dev. Civ V is a great game.

Guy.brush

Ha! I was looking for an Interstellar settlement/strategy type game and ended up considering Alpha Centauri for replay.
I wish there would be a game that would have intricate base/colony building with detailed animations/physics/gfx. Like a next-gen OUTPOST (Sierra 1995) only as a good game this time :)

Durante

Really looking forward to this new iteration of Civ, enjoyed Civ V and all of the earlier versions.

I just hope that Firaxis are not trying to rush this, when Civ V was released, it was, quite terrible, so many features were missing, glitches, unbalanced, but now, after continuous support from the dev. Civ V is a great game.
But if they make the initial game good enough that makes the expansions a harder sell ;)

DinHerio

Banned
Have and deeply love Civ5 and XCOM, besides of that, I played XCOM on PS3 for some time because it was free on PS+. It was horrible. The controls are really ... meh.

Anyway: Day One!
And I'm done.

Wiktor

Ha! I was looking for an Interstellar settlement/strategy type game and ended up considering Alpha Centauri for replay.
I wish there would be a game that would have intricate base/colony building with detailed animations/physics/gfx. Like a next-gen OUTPOST (Sierra 1995) only as a good game this time :)

There was actually a recent Alpha Centauri like game called Pandora: First Contact. It was quite nice. Not AC-level, but I got plenty of enjoyment from it.

And when it comes to colony base building, well...Maia i coming.

Oh man I'm so glad I'm getting into strategy games. I used to have no interest in them but now that I'm old and refined I'm really starting to enjoy them. A Gaffer gifted me a copy of Civ V + Gods & Kings and I played like 30 hours in the first week. It's really terrifying how fast time goes by.

Mr. F

Banned
The trailer gave me chills, so great. I don't think I'll be able to run it any time soon on my shitty Mac but so excited nonetheless.

zhorkat

Well in the PCGamer interview they said that there would be no Planetary Council/World Congress equivalent, so that's at least one feature that they could include in an expansion pack. Of course, that doesn't mean that they can't still take their time with the base game and make a well-polished product.

Top Bottom