• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth announced, Fall 2014, PC [Trailer, Details]

Phil4000

So many great PC exclusives coming this year!!
- Fortnite
- H1N1
- Civilization Beyond Earth
- Everquest Next Landmark
- The Sims 4
- Heroes of the Storm
- and many more...

Great time to be a PC gamer :)

I'd like to see it on PS4, I mean Tropico 5 is coming to PS4 after all. Yeah they are easier to play on PC but I prefer consoles, always have.

Durante

- Fortnite
- H1N1
- The Sims 4
- Heroes of the Storm
- and many more...

... you didn't even mention any of the really important ones :p

inherendo

I'd like to see it on PS4, I mean Tropico 5 is coming to PS4 after all. Yeah they are easier to play on PC but I prefer consoles, always have.

The Tropico games are much simpler than the civ games. Very little micromanaging. People say they want strategy games on consoles until they realize how clunky the controls have to be to map from keyboard and mouse to a controller.

SparkTR

- Fortnite
- H1N1
- The Sims 4
- Heroes of the Storm
- and many more...

Strategy games are getting a good resurgence on PC, which is fantastic as a fan of the genre. AoW3, Gal Civ 3, Planetary Annihilation, Wargame Red Dragon, Grey Goo, Homeworld HD and now this have piqued my interest.

Wiktor

How is this port begging? The game literally just got announced and console gamers are disappointed. Get off your high horse. Like you would't be mad if it was PS3 exclusive.

Why would they be dissapointed though? THose games aren't exactly typically ported to consoles. Getting dissapointed in it is like going into new Atelier game thread and whining there's no PC version.

The game was annouced only for PC, anything else is port begging at this point.

Dire

- Fortnite
- H1N1
- The Sims 4
- Heroes of the Storm
- and many more...

I haven't even heard of half of those. And I mean that as an incredibly good thing. There's so many great games coming that it's difficult to keep up to date! I just made a pretty similar post with the games I'm looking forward to including: this, Galactic Civilizations 3, Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous. It's just insane how many good games are hitting (or are already available) on PC.

bengraven

Awesome.

Now do Pirates! 2.

SERIOUSLY, is this NOT the time to do a fucking Pirates! game?! Pirates haven't been hotter!

Rad-

Civ games are always resource hogs and unoptimized so I can't see console versions working without some heavy dumbing down.

Despera

Banned
I was gonna say the next Civ should take place in space in that announcement hype thread.

Guess Firaxis did the right thing.

I'm really digging the cover art.
1397302906-civilization-beyond-earth-boxart.jpg

I am mainly a console gamer and I don't see how a full-fledged Civ title could work mapped to a controller, not even the DualShock 4. Plus, you'd likely lose out on the mod support. Before this generation, frequent patches too, but that has thankfully changed.

Sure, I'd love to see another Civilization Revolution with more depth built around the DualShock 4 as the primary control scheme in mind, but I don't want to see a game like Civ 5 pushed to consoles and gimped by the controllers. Despite the PS4's mouse and keyboard support.

Echoplx

The Tropico games are much simpler than the civ games. Very little micromanaging. People say they want strategy games on consoles until they realize how clunky the controls have to be to map from keyboard and mouse to a controller.

The controls probably wouldn't even be the most limiting factor, imagine how long it would take for the consoles to calculate ai turns with those cpus

Lemondish

It's a challenge, certainly, but a turn based game like this is the perfect title to try on consoles.

Given how old my rig is, I'm going to definitely need a new one to play these interesting PC games.

Lemondish

The controls probably wouldn't even be the most limiting factor, imagine how long it would take for the consoles to calculate ai turns with those cpus

Probably wouldn't be an issue given they would be optimizing to one platform and could rely on extremely optimized GPGPU.

Also, DA cloud.

Wiktor

All PC game threads are filled with specifically PSV/PS4 requess
It is kinda odd that XB1 users generally don't join in to lament the lack of a port. I mean, neither console has a particularly varied lineup just yet.

I think Sony fans got spoiled by so many indie ports and now they're acting like they're entitled to port of every promising pc game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Now I saw the trailer, such a nice trailer! Fall 2014, not that far either. I will have a nicer PC by then. I'm really looking forward to this game.

Despera

Banned
Oh and that's one of the better boxarts in recent memory.

Dat provisional PEGI 18 rating though... alien sex scenes to be present in the game? lol

All PC game threads are filled with specifically PSV/PS4 requests. I don't mind it for this game since I've always thought Civ 5 would have been a good console game (not most 4X games though).

It is kinda odd that XB1 users generally don't join in to lament the lack of a port. I mean, neither console has a particularly varied lineup just yet.

Xbox One users are taking the Purity route - they stand tall and alone; I suppose that means PS4 users have taken the Supremacy path, attempting to unify everything under their banner; and that leaves PCers attempting either Contact or Harmony, trying to awaken the Unknown.

Rad-

All PC game threads are filled with specifically PSV/PS4 requests. I don't mind it for this game since I've always thought Civ 5 would have been a good console game (not most 4X games though).

Well as a PS4 only owner... we got nothing to play.

Mindlog

Strategy games are getting a good resurgence on PC, which is fantastic as a fan of the genre. AoW3, Gal Civ 3, Planetary Annihilation, Wargame Red Dragon, Grey Goo, Homeworld HD and now this have piqued my interest.
And space combat.
And adventure.
And cRPG.

Party like it's 1999.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If I wouldn't know it needs more than a netbook CPU, I would ask for a Wii U version of this, as it has the best console controller for this kind of games. :D

belushy

Banned

The average large map Civ 5 game eats CPUs alive but you can get smaller maps running smoothly on super low-end hardware. Yank out support for anything above Standard size and it could work.

Not sure if this a low-end CPU or not (I don't know all that much about computers/laptops) but this stock HP laptop with "AMD A8-4500M APU Radeon HD Graphics 1.90Ghz" plays really well with Civ 5 I've found. I can play on the biggest maps and it works fantastic. Only problem is slight graphical glitches and low FPS when reloading a save, but after a few minutes, and it is done loading everything, its pretty smooth.

Decado

The thing is, consoles now with the 4-5 Gigs of RAM, they could at least handle a slightly scaled down next-gen TBS game , or any current-gen one.

Age of Wonders 3 would work on a console, as would Civ 5 or LH.

I do not think technical issues are what keeps these games from consoles. Interface is one...but mostly it is the audience. I suspect publishers believe that that this audience, such as it is, is on PC. Not worth the effort to bring to consoles unless they change/dumb it down.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Can someone clarify this for me:
So you can go to NEW planets within the game, and have multiple cities in multiple planets? Or does the game only take place on one planet?

Top Bottom