• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth announced, Fall 2014, PC [Trailer, Details]

Du2andal

Banned
Wow, finally! It feels like I have been waiting forever for a new Alpha Centauri. I guess the recent success of XCOM must have helped convince 2k that a sci-fi strategy game can be profitable.

Sandfox

Am I the only one reminded of Starcraft when looking at the units in the screenshots?

This may be day one for me depending on a few things.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
Another big question is: Did they change the combat and unit stacking?

I know that even Sid, or at least the Civ director, thought that the removal of some kind of stacking was a bad idea in the long run from an interview. Overall he liked what it did, but it also added that weirdness as you shuffled units around.

mclem

I approve of this concept.

Provisionally 18? Are things *always* 18 provisionally to be on the safe side, or do they actually expect it in that ballpark? Seems odd!

Big Civ fan.

I like the sound of the concept but I hope the game looks better than that, the environment and units look like models from 2006.

alstein

Can't they actually remake Alpha Centauri? Or does someone else own the name?

EA owns the name I believe.

I hope this game will be optimized. Turns take so fucking long in Civ 5.

Unsure if this game will use it, but the technology is going to be part of Mantle.

GalCiv3 has really zippy turns, just like other Stardock titles, if that's a big consideration in what you want. It takes using multiple cores well to do it right, which is really difficult programming-wise.

styl3s

I just got back into Civ, and a Sci-Fi one would be awesome. Hope it is a full fledged one, pc only.
You hope it doesn't reach an even wider audience? Makes sense /shrug

Looks like i am spending my day off finally learning how to play CIV.

I hope for a experience without needing to worry about creating ways to adapt the commands. But I guess that if it worked with the Steam Controller then it would have some chance of not being bad on gamepads.

alstein

The thing is, consoles now with the 4-5 Gigs of RAM, they could at least handle a slightly scaled down next-gen TBS game , or any current-gen one.

Age of Wonders 3 would work on a console, as would Civ 5 or LH.

styl3s

The thing is, consoles now with the 4-5 Gigs of RAM, they could at least handle a slightly scaled down next-gen TBS game , or any current-gen one.

Age of Wonders 3 would work on a console, as would Civ 5 or LH.
This is why i would personally like to see them bring it out on the PS4 or even X1. If my laptop can run Civ5, a PS4 could run it with no problems. And it's not a game with a overly complicated control scheme.

This PC elitism on GAF fucking kills me sometimes. It's worse then the everything must be 30k resolution 9000fps arguments.

Rad-

- You'll still be building cities like in CIv V but to expand to other planets you'll use outposts.
- You can be the first to explore a new planet and you may find some neutral creatures/races on those worlds. You can either destroy them or leave them be.

Holy shit... I'm in.

Majukun

all i want is a better AI.
i played civ V an auful lot of hours,but still can't get over how much better it would be with a proper AI who doesn't act like a schizophrenic,or one that doesn't hate you for 2 millenniums because you attacked a city state state once,during the pre-historia era..it makes the war path too penalizing,even though in the real world we had thousands of wars and nobody hates each other for this.

One other thing i didn't like about civ V ,was that you HAD to commit to one type of win and that's it,for all the game..there were no space to change strategy mid-game if the situation didn't fit what you wanted to do (like if you want to conquest but you find yourself with no iron whatsoever in your empire and the entire world that hates you for being a warmornger)

anywya,no too excited for this game because sci-fi is not my kind of setting,but f it turns out to be a good game who expands over CIV V,I'm in.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

It's about the interface. CIV games are very complex and therefore it would be hard to navigate the UI on consoles. Look at Civ Rev which is a good game for what it is but it lacks depth compared to Civ V. I don't want Civ VI to be on consoles because bringing the game on consoles would necessitate changes that I'm not sure would be best for the franchise.

alstein

This is why i would personally like to see them bring it out on the PS4 or even X1. If my laptop can run Civ5, a PS4 could run it with no problems. And it's not a game with a overly complicated control scheme.

This PC elitism on GAF fucking kills me sometimes. It's worse then the everything must be 30k resolution 9000fps arguments.

It's not that they want it PC only, it's that they don't want it dumbed down the way Civ Rev was dumbed down.

Bregor

Those who are looking for a game that is very much meant to be a successor to Alpha Centauri should check out the recent game Pandora: First Contact:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/435/details/Pandora:.First.Contact

I haven't tried it myself (not available on Steam), but I've heard it is a flawed, but good modern version of Alpha Centauri.

As far as this new Civ game goes, I can't wait, I've loved Civ 5 for years and eagerly wait more Firaxis 4x games.

Monooboe

Oooooh! I loved Alpha Centauri and been wondering when we get a new one. I do like the name "Beoynd Earth" also. I'm so in day one but I am worried about the "just one more turn" time sink.

Top Bottom