• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth announced, Fall 2014, PC [Trailer, Details]

This is why i would personally like to see them bring it out on the PS4 or even X1. If my laptop can run Civ5, a PS4 could run it with no problems. And it's not a game with a overly complicated control scheme.

This PC elitism on GAF fucking kills me sometimes. It's worse then the everything must be 30k resolution 9000fps arguments.

Don't think it's a question of whether the consoles could run it but rather people that play these types of games play them on PC. Weren't these sort of genres done in the past on consoles and didn't sell well?

This is why i would personally like to see them bring it out on the PS4 or even X1. If my laptop can run Civ5, a PS4 could run it with no problems. And it's not a game with a overly complicated control scheme.

This PC elitism on GAF fucking kills me sometimes. It's worse then the everything must be 30k resolution 9000fps arguments.

The problem, at least for me, would be design/control compromises (to the detriment of the PC release) that make it better or more playable on consoles, especially if it were designed from the ground-up for all three platforms.

SamVimes

Thing with strategy games on consoles is that they need plenty of compromises which will likely make the PC version much worse, it's not about "only i should play this game".

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Pretty much. A console version would just mean a scaled down version in terms of controls and interface complexity.

Wow... I don't usually like strategy type games like this, but it really seems like setting is everything for me. I'm too much of a sci-fi nut to not want to play this game.

Kinthalis

Banned

Oh shut up. There are obvious design changes that would need to take place to accommodate a 10 foot interface, a gamepad and an install base that for the msot part has shown to have zero interest in complex 4X games. Everytime some console gamer on GAF tries to score points against PC gamers they ask for a list of PC exclusive games, only to derisively state that it's just a "bunch of Strategy games".

If they can work on PC first and then work on whatever dumbing down they'd need to do for consoles - more power to them I wouldn't midn that at all. It's what they did with Civ rev, basically.

But it isn't any more elitist to think that's the way it should be done, than to think maybe the next uncharted SHOULDN'T be compromised by a possible iPad version. There are limitations of the control scheme that would feel like dumbing down if the two products aren't treated like different games - and most development studios don't bother to do that.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Here's to hoping the PC icon and a lack of Steam on the box means it isn't necessary.

Guessing it's a dumb hope - haven't seen a retail box in awhile.

To the above: Civilization has a dead simple control scheme. If it works with touch, it'll work with a joystick and buttons.

Here's to hoping the PC icon and a lack of Steam on the box means it isn't necessary.

I hope there is a steam version, though. Steam workshop support for Civilization V is awesome.

There's rarely a Steam logo on the front of boxarts. Valve never requires and most developers don't put it.

It is a 2K title so it'll be SreamWorks.

Kinthalis

Banned

I love Steam and will always choose the Steam verison over anything else, but more options is definitely good for PC gaming.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yeah, it's a sure bet but I always hope a game will show up on Gog over the DRM client.

Are there many AAA games that show up on GoG on the day of release? I think a later GoG release might be possible but I doubt they would put out a DRM free version of the game on Day 1

I need a new computer. D:

I'm in love with that cover art

1397302906-civilization-beyond-earth-boxart.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
civ 5 complete has been wrecking my free time, and i loved alpha centurai back in the day... my macbook is ready, day 1

I just got back into Civ, and a Sci-Fi one would be awesome. Hope it is a full fledged one, pc only.

lmao, i love neckbeardy pc elitism

bill0527

Thing with strategy games on consoles is that they need plenty of compromises which will likely make the PC version much worse, it's not about "only i should play this game".

This is really it in a nutshell.

And then you have obvious games like Diablo III where...when you play them on a console it makes you wonder if the entire design of the game wasn't centered around console first, and just how many compromises did they make for the PC version.

Good, it doesn't look like it will need much better hardware than Civ5. Civ games have always been the litmus test for my PCs. When I can't run a Civ game at max settings with decent turn times with the max number of civs, I know it is time to upgrade.

Sounds great to me. I can find Civilisation a little dry to play, in terms of aeshetics, so adding the sci-fi element should bring things to life a bit more. It'd be cool if they kept it somewhat plausible and didn't go into crazy realms, too.

This is really it in a nutshell.

And then you have obvious games like Diablo III where...when you play them on a console it makes you wonder if the entire design of the game wasn't centered around console first, and just how many compromises did they make for the PC version.

Well they did a fantastic job of making the skill limits sound like a good idea at the time. It should have been obvious what they planned.

Man, thinking about D3 sure is a bummer. :(

lmao, i love neckbeardy pc elitism

Are comments like these really necessary? Geez.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
There are absolutely no compromises needed to put a turn based game that uses mouse and left click to select on console. None other than whatever game play deficits you think would be needed for a 'simple' audience, Dark Souls fans.

Wait, why am I even arguing this? Does XCOM suck now?

epmode

Day one. Guess I don't have to go to the Firaxis panel now.

There are absolutely no compromises needed to put a turn based game that uses mouse and left click to select on console. None other than whatever game play deficits you think would be needed for a 'simple' audience, Dark Souls fans.

It's good but quite a few features were streamlined too much. Whether it's because they were chasing a console audience or not is up for debate.

DedValve

Banned
Civ 5 was the most addicting game I ever played. I had never been addicted to a game before but I was damn close to spending a seriously unhealthy amount of time on that game.

Now they're telling me there's a civ game IN SPACE?

No. No. nononononononono get away from me please.

Lynq

Banned
Cool. When I was thinking about Civ6 I was like "Meh, I'm still enjoying Civ5 with expansions, I don't want more of the same thing...". But this is different, may be really nice.

Corpekata

Banned

There are no compromises needed technically.

It doesn't mean developers and publishers won't make compromises to reach a larger audience though. Which is why consoles had things like Civ Rev instead of just another Civ. Which is actually a pretty good game, really. Maybe they'll have more faith this time, but I doubt it. XCOM is far more combat focused compared to most turn based strategy games on PC, so I don't know if it is that great of a barometer. I mean there's a glut of TBS the last couple years. We just got Age of Wonders 3 and Warlock 2 this past month. If anyone thought there was a real audience for them on consoles these days I'd think we have seen more forward momentum. Or maybe they just need 2k to lead the way.

Top Bottom