• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Sblargh

Banned
I like to go random, so the trait of the civ decides what victory I will try (if japenese, I will go for a military victory, for example; if a civ trait is a gold boost, I'll try to go for a scientific victory, etc.)

And for the first time ever on a civ, I'm anxious to see combat. Staring a the map a long time figuring it out how to position your few units sounds so much better than making a stack and "Go. Destroy. Enemies!"

Johann

XiaNaphryz said:
Because games come out in the US on Tuesdays and in Euroland on Fridays. Dunno why.

It all has to do with the metric system. Did you know the game is called "Le Royale with Sid Meier" in France?

pix

XiaNaphryz said:
You're first to die in any GAF multiplayer game. ;)

lol! I said "try" =p

I think I am going togo random once I get the hang of things as well, seems like alot of fun not planning before a game, and just improving once you see your starting civ.

Seth C

Why can this game not be out YESTERDAY? The wait is driving me insane. If someone pirated it today I would download it and then buy it twice to atone for my sins. It would be well worth it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm guessing there's no chance at finding this cover art clean without text?

2e19mc27mhb.jpg

AstroLad said:
I will do random Civ and let everything sort itself out. I love doing random Civ.
Absolutely. That's why I don't worry about pre-order civs or special edition civs cause I'm not gonna be picking a civ anyways.

Hari Seldon

Oh god the wait is killing me. Great OP!

This game seems much simpler than Civ IV. Hopefully they left the door open to mod religions back in. Or at least consider adding religions in an expansion. I really liked the way religions worked in Civ IV. The Civ 5 devs call it "binary", but I call it "historic".

But either way, the combat improvements alone are worth the simplification in other areas. Panzer General 2 is a fantastic game and if the combat is based on that, then this game will be incredible. Panzer General 2 is a great game to get from gog.com if you need something until next Tuesday. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jay Shadow said:
Absolutely. That's why I don't worry about pre-order civs or special edition civs cause I'm not gonna be picking a civ anyways.
I'm doing it just so there can be more Civs to potentially get! It's funny in BTS to get a Civ you don't even remember being in the game. Be a while until we get there for Civ V though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
XiaNaphryz said:
I'm guessing there's no chance at finding this cover art clean without text?

2e19mc27mhb.jpg

I just got this issue yesterday. The review has me pumped! I really can't wait for next Tuesday.

WillyFive

Vagabundo said:
Yeah that's what you should focus on. The really important stuff.

Cover art is very important stuff. I don't see how people can be so ignorant against the first thing people see when they are going to buy the game.

pix

Willy105 said:
Cover art is very important stuff. I don't see how people can be so ignorant against the first thing people see when they are going to buy the game.

Coverart doesnt dictate the quality of the game though.

Hari Seldon

Eaten By A Grue said:
Since we do not know what the theme song of Civ5 will be like, we should post the awesomeness of the Civ IV theme live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs0p-8K7DSU&hd=1

Let's hope Civ5 can live up to it.

That is the best version of Baba Yetu I have ever heard! Those singers are really good, that is a clip that needs more views.

Also I saw on youtube someone had Baba Yetu and the Lion King 2 intro, did they really use this song for Lion King 2 or was that just someone fucking around?

XiaNaphryz

Willy105 said:
So? Neither do graphics or music. They are still preferable.
What? Graphics and music can definitely make a direct impact on the quality of a game. Box art doesn't. In any case, can we not derail this thread on this silly topic?

I think what I'm most looking forward to in Civ V is that you can do really well with small civs in terms of territory space. It sounds like the lead designer often has games where he only has 3 cities and still does rather well. Previous Civ games have always favored expansion, whereas Civ V sounds like internal growth is the preferable focus.

Hari Seldon

XiaNaphryz said:
I think what I'm most looking forward to in Civ V is that you can do really well with small civs in terms of territory space. It sounds like the lead designer often has games where he only has 3 cities and still does rather well. Previous Civ games have always favored expansion, whereas Civ V sounds like internal growth is the preferable focus.

Yeah that sounds cool, but it looks like you are going to have to cozy up to a bunch of city states and maybe even grab some vassals in order to pull that off.

This game seems to have a much more RPG flavor than before. Look at the Government system now, it looks more like you "level up" your government rather than making a choice among many options. Also the idea that you get missions from the city states, and have less units overall that are much harder to kill outright. Sounds pretty different, which will make the game very fresh.

CzarTim

I'm a Civ pussy. I never go military as I always feel bad about my citizens when I choose to build a military unit over a hospital. But I'm hoping the whole one-unit-per-hex thing changes that. Either way, I have my poop sock ready.

WillyFive

czartim said:
I'm a Civ pussy. I never go military as I always feel bad about my citizens when I choose to build a military unit over a hospital. But I'm hoping the whole one-unit-per-hex thing changes that. Either way, I have my poop sock ready.

Not going into war means you are a good person.

Why do you want to be bad? Should you behave as a child? Or will you win your battles by simply being so awesome other cities will simply join your country.

Zeliard

Oh god this game is coming out at the worst time for me. So busy these days, but I have to put aside the hours for a new Civ game, because it's goddamn necessary. I foresee many a sleepless night coming.

Cday

Banned
Willy105 said:

Why do you want to be bad? Should you behave as a child? Or will you win your battles by simply being so awesome other cities will simply join your country.

Usually Civs will declare war on you before that happens unless you are friends with them and have a really strong army. "Our close borders spark tensions"

CzarTim

Willy105 said:

:lol

Hari Seldon

czartim said:

Pretty much every civ game I play I start out being good and then Montezuma or some other bastard invades me and my temper gets hot and then I go blitzkrieg for the rest of the game.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
czartim said:

I'm sort of the same way, but only because combat in the previous games was so fucking frustrating. OH, ONE ARCHER UNIT DEFENDED A CITY AGAINST TEN OF MY GUYS WHO HAVE TWICE HIS STRENGTH!!?!? OKAY, THAT MAKES A LOT OF FUCKING SENSE.

XiaNaphryz

Cday said:
Usually Civs will declare war on you before that happens unless you are friends with them and have a really strong army. "Our close borders spark tensions"
Deterrence is overrated. Nuke the bastards!

JoeMartin

Spire said:
I'm sort of the same way, but only because combat in the previous games was so fucking frustrating. OH, ONE ARCHER UNIT DEFENDED A CITY AGAINST TEN OF MY GUYS WHO HAVE TWICE HIS STRENGTH!!?!? OKAY, THAT MAKES A LOT OF FUCKING SENSE.

Attacking fortified guerilla/garrison promoted units in cities on a hill with a +80% defense modifier from across a river will do that.

Siege units. They are (were) your friend.

But yeah, I always play the benevolent country and only go to war if ABSOLUTELY necessary. Real men culture whore their way to victory and stack ridiculous amounts of machine gunners in their cities.

Sblargh

Banned
Civ traits sound very powerful in general this time. Some like Bushido and Siberian Ritches are what grab the attention first, but really:

25% discount when purchasing tiles, something you will do the entire game, what an american empire can save at the end of the game will probably be huge.

20% producing a wonder faster is probably more than enough to assure you will beat enemies to important wonders.

+2 culture in every city until the industrial era is a whole fucking lot of extra culture (as seen on the 2-hour stream; a warmongering napoleon, who were probably investing far more on army than culture, was still in 2nd place on number of policies unlocked).

I don't know how much barbarians are important on this game, but if there is a lot of barbarians, that means that Civs who capitalize on this (german, Ottoman and Songhai) will also have a significant boost.

Also, civ-states appear to be a huge part of the game, to have your relationship with them provide even more benefit (Siam) or just degrade slower (Greece) can also be game changing stuff.

The only ones that seems a little weaker in this regard to me is Iroquois and possibly England, which will depend too much if the game in question will have a lot of naval play; but again, special abilities in general seem like it will help a lot (and radically alter the way you play with each particular civ).

CzarTim

JoeMartin said:
But yeah, I always play the benevolent country and only go to war if ABSOLUTELY necessary. Real men culture whore their way to victory and stack ridiculous amounts of machine gunners in their cities.
Watching the live play yesterday makes me want to to a more pro-active approach to problems. Dubya style.

JoeMartin

Seriously Arabia and Russia's special abilities look the most ridiculous to me. Since resources can only support so many units now, having double oil or uranium lategame is going to be HUGE (Russia even more so across the whole game since they get double Iron AND Uranium) for the all-out wars that Civ games invariably devolve into once enough ego-maniacal super powers decide they want to start throwing weight around.

czartim said:
Watching the live play yesterday makes me want to to a more pro-active approach to problems. Dubya style.

And, in another nod to realism, you don't need the approval of the other civs to do it! :D

XiaNaphryz

JoeMartin said:
Seriously Arabia and Russia's special abilities look the most ridiculous to me. Since resources can only support so many units now, having double oil or uranium lategame is going to be HUGE (Russia even more so across the whole game since they get double Iron AND Uranium) for the all-out wars that Civ games invariably devolve into once enough ego-maniacal super powers decide they want to start throwing weight around.
You'll just have to wipe them out before they get to that point with civs that have advantages earlier in the game. :)

JoeMartin

Oh and as Sblargh pointed out too, France also looks to be so good. That much early culture should net you both earlier access to resources as well as earlier access to the more advanced civics.

That and France will be dirty dirty dirty as soon as gunpowder hits as they have back to back special units in the musketmen (Musketeers) and infrantry (Foreign Legion).

Sblargh

Banned
JoeMartin said:

But I think it balances nicely with civs that are getting some kind of economic boost because it becomes a question of quantity over quality. If you have a boost in gold or production or even wonder building that allows you to boost these areas, you can probably make, I don't know, more archers to support your inferior infantry (because you can produce less swordman, for example).

That's why something like extra movement on jungle seems weak to me, because it is not exactly a boost on any important area, maybe means you can build warriors instead of scouts early on, which can help.

But yeah, if you see Russia with iron, you're going to have to be prepared.

AstroLad said:
I will do random Civ and let everything sort itself out. I love doing random Civ.

Started a CivIV game today this way on warlord difficulty with barbarians. My fun usually tops out at noble, less when I have barbarians on. Got Germany and am having a great time. Better than the last few starts where I go in with a specific strategy. Going to have to do this more often. Also, I never knew just how useful chariots were against the barbarian axemen. I learn something new all the time about this game. That's part of the reason I love it so much.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
this seems like the best antidepression game that isn't an mmo. Just losing myself into it, dwindling deeper and deeper into my decent of sadness.

gimmiegimmiegimmie

Bummer about religion. I thought it was done well and the intended conflict mirrors real world geopolitics of closely related cultures killing each other just because they can't agree on minor details like the number of allowed wives or the status of a holy person.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I preloaded but my collector's edition (behind the scenes video, soundtrack) stuff is no where to be found. That sort of stuff is usually just put in the games folder in the steam directory but it's not there, I assume one will be able to download it once the game goes live? I need something new to listen to and that soundtrack would be excellent.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
gonna have to try the demo

wasnt able to get into the ones on pc, only could enjoy the xbox one (cuz im not smart)

zoku88

titiklabingapat said:
Bummer about religion. I thought it was done well and the intended conflict mirrors real world geopolitics of closely related cultures killing each other just because they can't agree on minor details like the number of allowed wives or the status of a holy person.
Not really. Most of that was just an excuse people made. People killed each other for power. People allied for power. Those minor details were hardly ever a factor (besides, maybe, rebellions.)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've been playing vanilla CIV IV everyday for the past 2 weeks. I didn't get Beyond the Sword or any of the other expansions so I can't find many mods that support my original version.

Really excited for the new release. Nice OP.

Top Bottom