• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Getting frustrated. Got up to Arena 4 then almost immediately dropped back down. I feel like every fight is either squeeking out a 1-0 win or getting beat. Everyone seems to carry counters to the Prince and I don't really have anything else to put there.

Haha as someone who does not have/use Prince ans had to learn to counter this makes me smile...

Fighting people 2 levels above me is trying my patience. Cards are stronger, towers are stronger.... Is it because I won recently? Why are they getting matched with low players like me.

Just as I post this I get matched with someone THREE levels above haha. Even if I was paying to win I think I'd be annoyed. Apparently I'm good enough that my low level ass can sometimes beat these players but it feels horrible

If they are higher lvl than you but matched with you it usually means they are a crappy player who does not win a lot. Or players that rely on a gimick that only works sometimes.

Remy

We cleared about five spaces out of the NeoGAF clan between confirmed quits and non-donators, but all the spaces have been filled already. Will continue to monitor and open more up next week.

Maximus P

Getting frustrated. Got up to Arena 4 then almost immediately dropped back down. I feel like every fight is either squeeking out a 1-0 win or getting beat. Everyone seems to carry counters to the Prince and I don't really have anything else to put there.

I was struggling at that point too and i also have the prince.

I'm now very near Arena 5 having upgraded my archers and musketeer to a good level.

A well place giant followed by my Musket and Archers can be devastating to the enemy.

Only thing that annoys me now are going against well made spam decks that have X-bows in the mix.

TheExodu5

Banned
The trick to using the prince is that you should be using him mostly when you have an elixir advantage and your opponent doesn't have the elixir to counter him.

basik

should I buy the dragon and balloon for 4,000 gold? I have the prince,witch, skel army

I can just use my google opinion rewards money... $5 for 10,000 gold. just not sure if its worth it...these cards are coming out in chests for free.

should I buy the dragon and balloon for 4,000 gold? I have the prince,witch, skel army

I can just use my google opinion rewards money... $5 for 10,000 gold. just not sure if its worth it...these cards are coming out in chests for free.

No. Like you said, they can come out of chests for free and there are higher level cards out there

What I still don't understand is how if I am level 5 I get matched up with a level 6. So much more HP on those towers.

Wtf is up with that...?

broz0rs

It's really up to you, but if you do the math you're basically paying $1 per the epic unit you want to unlock. Baby Dragon and Balloon are both very useful units.

and I disagree with comments that makes it seem it'll be a waste of money if you end up getting them for free in the future. you're gonna need as many epic cards in order to level them, and it's not very often they show up in a free chest.

here you go

suggestions are welcome

I'd say get rid of tombstone for now

You only want building cards when you make a build deck, ie goblin huts/barbarian huts/attack buildings.

Rocket...it's a good finisher but it's a high cost elixir card that has a niche use. It can't kill big guys like a giant immediately, it travels slow for things like pekka or prince(Unless you're good at aiming it lol) but the risk of using it isn't worth it. Fireball if you want something to counter production buildings(it's also a slightly bigger hitbox so it can hit more than the rocket), and it's good for taking out small mass units.(Which you already have baby dragon for)

Swap in the minion horde for the tombstone(or if you need a cheaper variant, the regular minions) because they're quite versatile and they can take out Giants/Pekkas/Princes quite fast if you're in a situation where they're crawling on your lane. Rocket with fireball would be a good replacement.

Then you have a good mix of high cards and low cards..

I would switch that Rocket for something else.

Price + Skelly King is a bit overkill for pushing. Ditch one for something cheap.

Your costs are pretty high.

I would switch that Rocket for something else.

Price + Skelly King is a bit overkill for pushing. Ditch one for something cheap.

Your costs are pretty high.

Offset by the lower cost cards tbh.

If anything I'd say swap out the skele king for a regular giant, since they just plow through enemies and don't take breaks(They also have a slight higher base health)

A good combo you can do is put a giant on one lane, and prince on the other, your opponent has to choose between both(And they'll usually panic)

daydream

Banned
see, the rocket has won me so many games, i'm hesitant to ditch it

tombstone is definitely one i was looking to improve upon

So I'm really struggling around the 1200 range. I jumped up there very quickly but it is insanely hard to get much further at this point. Usually me hovering around there or dropping to high 1000s. I'm willing to try out some different combos if anyone has suggestions. To counter Prince I use Tombstone, Musketeer for Baby Dragon, and Minion Horde for Giant Skeleton. Otherwise anyone want to offer any suggestions/switches I should make with my decks?
image.png

image_1.png

Gotchaye

So I'm really struggling around the 1200 range. I jumped up there very quickly but it is insanely hard to get much further at this point. Usually me hovering around there or dropping to high 1000s. I'm willing to try out some different combos if anyone has suggestions. To counter Prince I use Tombstone, Musketeer for Baby Dragon, and Minion Horde for Giant Skeleton. Otherwise anyone want to offer any suggestions/switches I should make with my decks?

I'm not sure about using both minions and minion horde. Those also don't seem to go great with hog rider since he'll be the only thing their ground attackers can hit other than the occasional skeleton. I think the obvious thing for you to do is just to upgrade your cards, though. I think you've got enough for a level 7 Bomber and almost enough for level 6 Barbarians. A lot of people seem to get to the 1400s leaning heavily on level 6+ Barbs.

This may not be obvious to everyone since the numbers don't seem to go up that much, but card level (especially for troops) is a huge deal. We're talking about compounding 10-21% more effectiveness per level, generally and depending on how you count it. The reason people do so well with level 7 Barbs and level 5 everything else is that as long as you keep minions off of them it's basically impossible to deal with the Barbs for cost.

Also note that Witch is a great counter to Prince too, so if that's all the Tombstone is for I'm not sure it's necessary.

Just started playing this game, what's the most effective way to use gems?

Easily gold. Although buying Giant Chests is actually a better deal than paying to open Silver and Gold Chests provided the Giant Chest is more likely to produce an epic. But with buying gold you get a minimum conversion of 120 gems for an epic of your choice, if you wait long enough, and likewise you have a lot more control over which commons and rares you get. Giant Chests are nice but they will tend to give you very large numbers of just a couple different cards - I just got 150 Teslas in one, for example - that you might not want.

I just applied to the NeoGAF clan, thanks!

ALSO, I applied to Neogaf now that it has opened as well.

Clan leaders please look for me!

daydream

Banned
here you go

suggestions are welcome

i just got the skeleton horde

thinking about replacing the pekka with it. horde is good for catching big guys but so is the tombstone and it costs less and keeps churning out 'brakes' to the opponent's attack. i've already got the knight for the offensive and pekka i've mainly been using to do big damage to larger units attacking my towers. seems to me the skeleton horde can do the same job here while also being more versatile for the same price

thoughts? (see my deck in the quote)

Skeleton horde is great because unlike pekka it can counter a prince easily. It is weak to arrows but you mainpy use the horde as a reactionary defense

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Downloaded the game yesterday, can someone tell me what is the best way of playing it?

Not the actual battles, but with these locked chests I feel like I shouldn't play anymore until I unlock a chest and a space for another one opens, which kinda sucks because it means I can only play a game every 3 hours.
Should I just ignore this?

I am STILL convinced that this game is some type of science experiment.

You can still play when you are full on chests. You can learn the game, improve in the game, climb arena ranks so you can unlock better cards, etc. You just won't get a chest.

Bowlie

Banned
Well, that's obvious. I just don't know what could be into those chests; if it's a super cool thing then I'd rather wait for them.

For the chests, look a page back for a chest drop guide. One thing you can do is get higher in ranks so that you can get better chests, and stop right before you get a very good chest, I believe you get magical chest early on as a guaranteed drop. So waiting till you get to a higher arena before you pop open chests might be a good idea

basik

So waiting till you get to a higher arena before you pop open chests might be a good idea

nope. if you get a chest in arena 1 it stays a arena 1 chest if you go into arena 2. that chest will only have arena 1 stuff in it. so go ahead and open them no point in saving them.
as others have said...open the 3 hour ones during the day and maybe save a 8 hour gold chest to open before you go to sleep at night.

nope. if you get a chest in arena 1 it stays a arena 1 chest if you go into arena 2. that chest will only have arena 1 stuff in it. so go ahead and open them no point in saving them.
as others have said...open the 3 hour ones during the day and maybe save a 8 hour gold chest to open before you go to sleep at night.

I mean, that if your full on chests you eont progress in getting chests. Its a set order you get them in, ie your first giant chest will always be the 58th chest drop( Im sure I got the number wrong, on mobile cant check link) so stalling your chest gains is beneficial if you want to get better chests.

basik

I mean, that if your full on chests you eont progress in getting chests. Its a set order you get them in, ie your first giant chest will always be the 58th chest drop( Im sure I got the number wrong, on mobile cant check link) so stalling your chest gains is beneficial if you want to get better chests.

oh I see...thats a pain in the ass to try to remember that count... I say ignore it and just play. worked for me I got good stuff from chests just playing whenever
I wanted.

Wait, am I seeing things?

I just fought somebody that sent two sets of minions; one set that was level 6, and the other that was level 4, 6 minions total. Is it possible to have two of the same cards in one deck? Or is there another set of flying minions that is essentially a pallet swap or something?

basik

is a lvl 2 balloon noticeably better than lvl 1? worth the upgrade price? if not maybe I should just wait until I could go straight to 3...

basik

I just fought somebody that sent two sets of minions; one set that was level 6, and the other that was level 4, 6 minions total. Is it possible to have two of the same cards in one deck? Or is there another set of flying minions that is essentially a pallet swap or something?

theres the normal 3 minion... then there is a minion horde card with 6 minions.

broz0rs

there's "minions" which is a set of three flying units at 3 cost, and "minion horde" which is a set of six units at 5 cost. I've seen high level replays where both are used on the same deck. really punishes ground attack only units such as barbs, prince, etc

commish

is a lvl 2 balloon noticeably better than lvl 1? worth the upgrade price? if not maybe I should just wait until I could go straight to 3...

Balloon is one of the few cards where it's pretty good at what it does even at rank 1. I dont' think the difference btw 1 and 2 is huge. If you can get it to work, it'll wreck a tower regardless.

Nerokis

I'm liking this game a lot. I feel so goddamn middling, though, it's hilarious. I exchange long win streaks and long loss streaks all the time, and have been sitting in arena 3 and level 5 as I wait to get the last two cards (rage and X-Bow) I need. It's funny how inconsistent I am. I can feel myself learning, but swerve between defensive and offensive, between feeling like I'm crushing people and occasionally feeling like I was helpless to change the outcome of a match. I don't have a rhythm down where I feel like I'm starting to break open the mechanics, and feeling comfortable with my answers to the various situations.

As someone around 40% into level 5, should I be in higher arenas at this point? I'm starting to feel like being in arena 3 is just settling.

Remy

Beyond the two different sets of minion being in the deck, there's also an Epic card in the Arena 5 tier called Mirror.

It costs whatever you just spent +1, and it duplicates whatever card you just played (with a lower level, based on the level of the Mirror card.)

http://clashroyale.wikia.com/wiki/Mirror

I am having the hardest time getting into any clan.... this is depressing. Surely there must be ONE Gaf clan open left, right?!?!

broz0rs

I am having the hardest time getting into any clan.... this is depressing. Surely there must be ONE Gaf clan open left, right?!?!

There's four GAF related clans.

NeoGAF, Neogaf, GAF, GAF Royale

all are full, but when a spot opens it's first come first serve. People do leave, but it gets filled pretty quickly.

all are full, but when a spot opens it's first come first serve. People do leave, but it gets filled pretty quickly.

Sounds like there are more than 200 people looking to be in Clans... hint hint wink wink. Because those 4 are always closed and I am at 1,040 right now.

commish

I've updated the OP. I had only 3 listed.

Also, whoever the clan leaders are, you should probably be more active in weeding out the non-players. There's always people who sign up and then quit the next hour.

Remy

Also, whoever the clan leaders are, you should probably be more active in weeding out the non-players. There's always people who sign up and then quit the next hour.

Given the minimal number of tools clan leaders get, it's nearly impossible. We're going on a week cycle in NeoGAF now.

Also, since you have to play up to Level 3 before you can jump into a clan, one would hope the "I don't like this game" folks bail out a little sooner.

Top Bottom