• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
What was your user name? Now that there's a request from you I can send you an actual invite.

Sorry, someone must have clicked reject on yours. When 20 requests come in that fast, it can be very tough to see the legitimate one.

Edit: Sent you an invite. Hopefully that works.

Much appreciated! Thanks!

HotHamBoy

So whats your new deck? and what's beating you?

Valkyrie
Muskateer
Mini Peka
Balloon
Hog Rider
Spear Goblins
Skeleton Army
Baby Dragon

I know, mostly the same, right? That's actually a regression. I originally dropped Balloon & Horde and tried Armored Minion and Inferno Tower then swapped Minion for Peka.

My losses were more consistent. I felt like Tower was just prolonging the inevitable. I swapped Tower back for Balloon and my Win ratio has improved as a result but victories are very slim. That said, a lot of my losses are slim, too.

As for what's beating me? Decisive losses usually result from an early swarm. I struggle with a big drop at the end like Golem. Most of the time only a single tower falls, their's or mine. Lotta stalemates until someone finally gets an edge.

Zap is wrecking me pretty good. Witches end up eating a lot of my resources. Wizards, too.

My dragon is really weak and I've gone way too long ignoring him. But you can only ask for epics once a week and I need 3 which is a lot of gold if i buy him, not counting the upgrade fee.

So I'm thinking I need a spell. These are my options:
(Level, Name, Amount Available for Further Upgrades)

5 Arrows 277/50
5 Zap 161/50
4 Fireball 48/20
2 Poison 5/4
2 Lightning 1/4

Brakke

Banned
Yeah pretty much every deck needs a spell or else a single wizard dropped behind a tower is gunna parry any but the beefiest push.

I'd expect Hog / Musk / Valk to be mostly enough for a push. If you have a Musk in lane already, drop Valk at the river and Hog right behind her. If Hog can push Valk at his speed to the tower, that's money. Arrows to clear out Minions or Skarmies ain't bad. If you know the other guy has Skarmy to counter Hog, you can try and anticipate it so the Arrows launch shortly after Hog drops, and kill a Skarmy before they even start hitting.

You might swap Skarmy for regular-ass Skellies. I've been having great success with them. They kill a lonely Hog almost as fast as a Skarmy does, and they bait out a lot of the same spells as Skarmy -- but if the other guy kills your 4 Skellies with a spell, you're coming out ahead on the Elixir race. Plus you can use them to pull aggro or eat big hits from Sparky or Pekka or Inferno, and having a 1-cost helps cycle the deck.

I never really got the appeal of Skarmy. Almost any deck can trivially counter it. Anyone with Log is happy to counter Skarmy since he gets some direct damage against the tower on top of an Elixir advantage, plus potential collateral damage against anything in lane.

UFO

Banned
Valkyrie
Muskateer
Mini Peka
Balloon
Hog Rider
Spear Goblins
Skeleton Army
Baby Dragon

Doesn't look like you've changed your deck at all. It's still looks random and without purpose. Seriously, why the balloon? Do you just throw it out there to die every match? That type of random "jack of all trades" deck might fly at lower levels, but to make the push to 3000+ you need to put more thought into the indentiy of the deck.

1) What are your win condition cards.
2) What are their counters.
4) How can you stop pushes.
5) How can you cycle.

You should do some googling and learn how the best players win and try to emulate that .

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Valkyrie
Muskateer
Mini Peka
Balloon
Hog Rider
Spear Goblins
Skeleton Army
Baby Dragon

I know, mostly the same, right? That's actually a regression. I originally dropped Balloon & Horde and tried Armored Minion and Inferno Tower then swapped Minion for Peka.

My losses were more consistent. I felt like Tower was just prolonging the inevitable. I swapped Tower back for Balloon and my Win ratio has improved as a result but victories are very slim. That said, a lot of my losses are slim, too.

As for what's beating me? Decisive losses usually result from an early swarm. I struggle with a big drop at the end like Golem. Most of the time only a single tower falls, their's or mine. Lotta stalemates until someone finally gets an edge.

Zap is wrecking me pretty good. Witches end up eating a lot of my resources. Wizards, too.

My dragon is really weak and I've gone way too long ignoring him. But you can only ask for epics once a week and I need 3 which is a lot of gold if i buy him, not counting the upgrade fee.

So I'm thinking I need a spell. These are my options:
(Level, Name, Amount Available for Further Upgrades)

5 Arrows 277/50
5 Zap 161/50
4 Fireball 48/20
2 Poison 5/4
2 Lightning 1/4

I know you said you didn't want to copy any existing deck strategies out there because you want to do it more organically and experiment. But you have to expect to lose a lot if you are going to take that approach, and if you are being frustrated by it I'd have to say it is your own fault. Hopefully you are starting to enjoy things more.

Witches should be an easy kill for a Valkyrie. You just have to wait for her to cross the river and drop the Valkyrie right on top. Like a lot of situations in the game, patience is key.

Something in among Valkyrie, Mini Pekka, And Skeleton Army feels redundant. And usually people wouldn't have Hog and Balloon in their deck, as they are each something you'd otherwise build a deck around. Seems like your deck is a jack of all trades, master of none, which is perhaps why you are getting the results that you are, getting narrow victories. You should at least look at the recommended decks out there, and then find a way to put your own unique spin on one with one or two unusual substitutions to throw your opponent a curveball.

To tweak your current deck, I'd look at subbing out Valkyrie, Mini Pekka, or Skeleton Army for Arrows. You also might like to try out substituting Hog for a Giant. A Giant followed up with any of a Musketeer, Balloon, Spear Goblins, or Skeleton Army can do a lot of damage.

Hope this helps.

HotHamBoy

Doesn't look like you've changed your deck at all. It's still looks random and without purpose. Seriously, why the balloon? Do you just throw it out there to die every match? That type of random "jack of all trades" deck might fly at lower levels, but to make the push to 3000+ you need to put more thought into the indentiy of the deck.

1) What are your win condition cards.
2) What are their counters.
4) How can you stop pushes.
5) How can you cycle.

You should do some googling and learn how the best players win and try to emulate that .

I thought i explained it all pretty clearly in the post, including acknowledging that the deck was the same except for Mini P.

Balloon does a lot of damage, i get half my tower kills from Balloon.

Muskateer is a strong offense and defense card and a decent counter for Wizards. Valkyrie for trash mobs. Mini P for damaging large targets and finishing off towers. Baby D is all-purpose. Hog is mostly for clutch plays.

I don't know what "cycle" means.

I might be dropping Skelly Army, they have been pretty useless lately.

Brakke

Banned
Finally got back on the CR train. How do I join the GAF Clan?

We have room in NeoGAF (#20Y9PQ). We have a minimum of 2800 trophies to keep out request-spam. If you're under that lemme know and we can momentarily drop it. Just mention NeoGAF and your member name in your join request.

Brakke

Banned
I don't know what "cycle" means.

"Cycle" is how quickly you can get a card back into your hand after playing it.

So imagine the other guy has Skarmy and your only splash / area damage is Zap. You really need to have Zap available to kill Skarmy or you'll get overrun. If it takes you forty seconds to get Zap back in your hand but he has Skarmy available at twenty seconds, he's going to pick up momentum every time you fail to counter him.

Couple things you can do to drive cycling. One is having an overall cheap deck. Then you're naturally playing cards constantly and you're never more than a few seconds away from getting something back in hand. Another is having some specific cheap cards. If you have Ice Spirit in your hand, it's basically never a "bad" play to drop him behind your throne, because he gets into lane quickly. If you need Zap but don't have it and it's next up, dropping an Ice Spirit without a specific target is fine because you're happy to pay 3 Elixir for Zap right now.

Another way to drive a cycle is to have versatile cards like e-Wiz, who is useful in a bunch of contexts. He can be an expensive Zap on arrival against Skarmy, he can stand behind a building as defender, he can run Fast down lane to add pressure to a slow tank like Giant. Sometimes e-Wiz isn't the best play, but he's usually an ok play, so he doesn't stay in your hand for a long time. Something like Mini Pekka is less versatile. If the other guy has a Goblin Hut or is generally skewed toward fragile swarms, you'll almost never play Mini P and she's just wasting room in your hand, limiting your options to three. That makes it even harder to keep an ace up your sleeve voluntarily, then you're limited to two slots cycling regularly, meaning you're frequently playing sub-optimal counters.

HotHamBoy

You're name dropping cards I don't have (my collection is on the previous page). I don't have a single Legendary. Farthest I've gotten is Arena 7 but now I'm back in 6.

Here's the deck I've been playing with the last few matches:

Muskateer
Mini Peka
Zap
Arrows
Giant
Skeletons
Baby Dragon
Spear Goblins

Average Elixer Cost: 3.1

I havent won a game yet. Down to 1855 trophies.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
You're name dropping cards I don't have (my collection is on the previous page). I don't have a single Legendary. Farthest I've gotten is Arena 7 but now I'm back in 6.

Here's the deck I've been playing with the last few matches:

Muskateer
Mini Peka
Zap
Arrows
Giant
Skeletons
Baby Dragon
Spear Goblins

Average Elixer Cost: 3.1

I havent won a game yet. Down to 1855 trophies.

Zap AND Arrows seem an odd choice seeing as you'd use them in fairly similar circumstances a lot of the time. If you want a couple of direct damage cards, I'd swap out one for Fireball. That way you have Zap or Arrows for low health troops, and Fireball for Barbarians or eliminating a Musk/Wizard etc when they pass the tower. Or you could drop one and throw your Balloon back into the mix seeing as you have the Giant to tank now.

HotHamBoy

Zap AND Arrows seem an odd choice seeing as you'd use them in fairly similar circumstances a lot of the time. If you want a couple of direct damage cards, I'd swap out one for Fireball. That way you have Zap or Arrows for low health troops, and Fireball for Barbarians or eliminating a Musk/Wizard etc when they pass the tower. Or you could drop one and throw your Balloon back into the mix seeing as you have the Giant to tank now.

Thanks! I originally just had zap but i was coming up short on the draw sometimes. I'll swap for Fireball.

Edit:
Okay, I swapped Arrows for Fireball and Skeletons for Balloon. Elixir 3.8

Results are a little better but my main issues still concern Legendaries like Graveyard. Due to the way the spawns are staggered it's hard to hit with a spell. I just faced a LV 8 player in Arena 6 who had Graveyard AND Miner. What an asshole.

Fireball is also really slow and Zap is too weak when it comes to dealing with Minions. They get their damage in.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Looking for opinions.

My deck of

Tombstone
Skelly army
Poison
Musk
Electro
Log
Princess

Is working well.

I've tried both miner (lvl2) and GB (lvl4) with success for the 8th card. Can't decide. The GB draws out zap, log, and arrows which makes my skelly army and princess more effective but my miner has a better chance of certain tower damage plus I can use him for defense if need be. Thoughts?

Looking for opinions.

My deck of

Tombstone
Skelly army
Poison
Musk
Electro
Log
Princess

Is working well.

I've tried both miner (lvl2) and GB (lvl4) with success for the 8th card. Can't decide. The GB draws out zap, log, and arrows which makes my skelly army and princess more effective but my miner has a better chance of certain tower damage plus I can use him for defense if need be. Thoughts?
I love GB, but the tankiness of the miner is really nice

UFO

Banned
Looking for opinions.

My deck of

Tombstone
Skelly army
Poison
Musk
Electro
Log
Princess

Is working well.

Probably miner, if you can get a good defense stop and drop a miner right before a musk or e wiz crosses they can deal a lot of damage.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Results are a little better but my main issues still concern Legendaries like Graveyard. Due to the way the spawns are staggered it's hard to hit with a spell. I just faced a LV 8 player in Arena 6 who had Graveyard AND Miner.

I'd only hit Graveyard with a spell as a last ditch effort to save the tower.

Your Musketeer, Spear Goblins, and Baby Dragon should be decent at defending against Graveyard. Placement is important to avoid them locking onto whatever is tanking rather than the Skeletons, so Baby Dragon should generally be placed inside the Graveyard towards the back corner while Musketeer and Goblin Spears behind the tower and at the edge of the Graveyard.

If you can get 2 of the 3 of those down you should limit Graveyard damage and then hopefully take out the tank quickly. They'll form a nice counter push foundation as you should be able to drop a Giant before they reach the river (and a Balloon on top of that will be lethal).

Fireball is also really slow and Zap is too weak when it comes to dealing with Minions. They get their damage in.

Fireball takes a bit of getting used to the timing.

I personally choose Arrows over Zap for my deck (and also have Fireball) because of things like Minions which Zap doesn't take out completely. While a little more expensive elixir wise, I find it more versatile and definitive. It can even take out Archers a level below it, as well as being an even elixir trade for Princess.

HotHamBoy

I'd only hit Graveyard with a spell as a last ditch effort to save the tower.

Your Musketeer, Spear Goblins, and Baby Dragon should be decent at defending against Graveyard. Placement is important to avoid them locking onto whatever is tanking rather than the Skeletons, so Baby Dragon should generally be placed inside the Graveyard towards the back corner while Musketeer and Goblin Spears behind the tower and at the edge of the Graveyard.

If you can get 2 of the 3 of those down you should limit Graveyard damage and then hopefully take out the tank quickly. They'll form a nice counter push foundation as you should be able to drop a Giant before they reach the river (and a Balloon on top of that will be lethal).

Fireball takes a bit of getting used to the timing.

I personally choose Arrows over Zap for my deck (and also have Fireball) because of things like Minions which Zap doesn't take out completely. While a little more expensive elixir wise, I find it more versatile and definitive. It can even take out Archers a level below it, as well as being an even elixir trade for Princess.

I'm doing a bit better with the deck now. Zap is a little weak but its cheapness and its slightly faster deploy time makes it quicker to get out when I need it.

Fireball has indeed been useful for mid-size units.

That Ice Wizard is a real dick. He has a good body and a fast ROF for 3 elixer...

Anyway, you guys were absolutely right about Giant. He is definitely an MVP.

I'm actually starting to like using poison as a defense against graveyard.

Speaking of which, the Poison + Graveyard combo is really rough since the Poison hurts your tower and kills off your defense.

Graveyard + Rage is also obnoxious, especially if they have another high ROF unit or swarm in the pocket.

Balance changes hit tomorrow and Balloon is getting a big nerf with his death explosion delay going from 1 to 3 seconds.

Absinthe

We have room in NeoGAF (#20Y9PQ). We have a minimum of 2800 trophies to keep out request-spam. If you're under that lemme know and we can momentarily drop it. Just mention NeoGAF and your member name in your join request.

Thanks! I'm at 2500-2600 right now. Slowly moving up tho.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
That Ice Wizard is a real dick. He has a good body and a fast ROF for 3 elixer...

Ice Wizard can be annoying when he is supporting other units from behind, but not too much of a problem in isolation given the damage he does isn't great.

If he crosses the river on his own I'll usually just suck up the damage on my tower or drop a Giant towards the middle and slightly in front of the tower line to be targeted by the Ice Wizard. In the latter situation, the Giant soaks up the damage no problem, the non slowed tower takes out the Ice Wizard pretty quick, then you can drop your other units for a counter push.

cuilan

Modified my lavaloon deck a bit. I'm not doing as well as I did with my previous one, but tornado is so much fun to use that I don't care much. I love messing with people's defenses, pushes, and having my king tower activate near the beginning of a match.

bYg0Rns.jpg

spyder_ur

My deck got hit pretty hard as I play furnace and RG with Ebarbs for defensive and counterpushing. I agree that those things probably needed to be tweaked though (with perhaps the exception of RG).

I'll see how it plays later. I expect to fade from my current range of around 44-4500 trophies to the low 4000s. That's fine - I told myself a while back I'm not gonna get caught up in all of these balance changes and chase the next deck that will be great until they patch again.

The RG deploy time must effect the way it interacts with Inferno Tower, which will be even more mindless to play now. I might sub it for Furnace to better deal with tanks, especially with the ebarb changes.

As long as I can still destroy miner/goblin barrel users, I'm good.

HotHamBoy

I'm getting really frustrated.

I know it's not the reason I'm losing but 9/10 opponents have at least 1 Legendary. I just played a Level 7 with a Lavahound.

Give meeeeee one!

Anyway, Graveyard is still giving me a lot of trouble.

Cooter

I know it's not the reason I'm losing but 9/10 opponents have at least 1 Legendary. I just played a Level 7 with a Lavahound.

Give meeeeee one!

Poison works well as stated above. Also archers in the back or call in the middle usually does the trick.

J0dy77

Give meeeeee one!

Minions work really well against graveyard.

Give meeeeee one!

Valk and even regular goblins clear it out np for me. I'm usually using witch too in my Lane, and she mops it up

HotHamBoy

The problem is i don't know what to swap out.

I put in a counter for one thing and i get squashed by something else. It seems it's impossible to have an answer for everything and still have a strong offense plan.

Brakke

Banned
You don't need to counter everything tho. Just counter *more* decks than you job to.

Also this conversation is hard to sustain without seeing replays. Deck counters matter but maybe you're just making bad plays. It's kind of tough to make a deck that 100% perfectly counters another.

Cooter

I put in a counter for one thing and i get squashed by something else. It seems it's impossible to have an answer for everything and still have a strong offense plan.
You'll always have decks that you're weak against. You just try to minimize your losses on those decks the best you can.

A well played deck with a coherent strategy and good game mechanics tactics is the way you counter best. Find a good deck, play it, and learn how to use it to best deal with what you are facing. If you try to change your deck to what beat you last game, you'll never get good with your deck.

Yeah. A well played deck can at least get a draw against a counter deck as long as you're intimately familiar with the deck.

Can't tell you the amount of draws I get with my deck :lol:.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You'll always have decks that you're weak against. You just try to minimize your losses on those decks the best you can.

Yeah the goal is to win more than you lose. If someone has a perfect counter, then so be it. You can't win them all. If you start to lose more than you win, then you need a new deck.

Matt Frost

Wow got a Lava Hound in the arena 10 offer... going to mess with it a bit and see how it goes... always wanted one... If i find it to of some use then buy another on the shop and level it to 2 for the pups to survive a zap...

UFO

Banned

You still play musketeer right? IMO, as a graveyard user that's one of the best counters. You can park her in the back and cleanly pick off the skeletons along with the tower. Then your opponent just wasted 5 elixir for nothing and you have a full health Musk.

HotHamBoy

Thanks, guys. I ain't giving up but I just feel like I'm really in a slump.

My "crazy" random deck that got me to Arena 7 steamrolled through Arena 6. I've made a lot of changes since I hit that wall in Arena 7 and fell back to Arena 6. Well, unfortunately I'm stuggling in Arena 6 now.

I just played a King Level 7 (I'm 8) and he had Inferno Dragon AND Electro Wizard. It's just not fair how this game's RNG leaves some players in the lurch for so long with the Legendaries. I still don't have one!

Edit: and the next guy I play is a 7 with a Miner. How do you counter that asshole when he already has dudes all over your shit?

Brakke

Banned
Hey so I've been seesawing around 4000 trophies and I'm wondering how "seasons" work? When does the current one end, and do I need to be above 4000 when it does to get the cool chest?

Hey so I've been seesawing around 4000 trophies and I'm wondering how "seasons" work? When does the current one end, and do I need to be above 4000 when it does to get the cool chest?

The current season ends in 10 days and if you get above 4000 trophies at any point during the season you will receive the chest. However, at the end of a season, your trophies will drop back down, so say if you end the season at 4200 trophies, once the season resets you will be back at 4000.

1) how do you know when it ends?

2) So if I end at 3XXX I get the prize but my trophies stay?

For 2 - correct - the game will display a new "season" chest that you can press on to open, and it will be based on the highest trophies you got.

Your actual trophies (if below 4000) stay the same as they were below...it's only the people above that get rounded down.

I know some people (and I am considering it) avoid playing for a day or two after reset as they get matched against much higher players who got rounded down to 4k.

For 1 - i have no idea - i assume the game developers web site will say?! Just realised I've played this game for a long long time (maybe a year) and am at 4k trophies...but i don't know who made the game! oops :-(

Top Bottom