• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Kioshen

They changed the matchmaker to favor people that attained a personal best similar to yours. That's why it's a bit harder because if they attained a similar ceiling but have a leg up in card levels well it'll be a steeper hill to climb.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
They changed the matchmaker to favor people that attained a personal best similar to yours. That's why it's a bit harder because if they attained a similar ceiling but have a leg up in card levels well it'll be a steeper hill to climb.

That doesn't sound like it will make things worse for somebody forging their way up the ladder in a genuine way. The biggest impact that would have I think, running the mental math, seems to be pairing off people who purposely drop down the ladder to farm crowns, arguably making it easier for everyone else?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The matchmaking in this game is bullshit.

I was on vacation the last couple of weeks so I played this game quite a bit, and it's just objectively unfair. As a level 7 player, I constantly get matched against level 9s and 10s, who have more HP per tower. And not just a few HP more, something like 20% more HP! I'm not even saying anything against higher level players' probability of having higher level cards; when many games are decided by just a few HP, having 20% more at the start is an insane advantage.

It's like - I have not once got matched with a level 4 or 5 player. Very rarely do I get someone who is also a 7. Why is it OK for me to constantly get pitted against level 10s?

This wouldn't be as big of a problem if the rewards were appropriate, but how is it fair that when I beat someone that has 20% more HP, I don't get rewarded more (than if I beat someone with less HP than me)? This is just stupid. .

You're definitely looking at it a bit incorrectly. If you're being matched with people that are higher level than you often that means that your skill has you at a trophy count (and arena) that is higher than is typical for your crown tower level and card levels. This isn't a bad thing. It means that on average you're more skilled than the people at the average trophy level for whatever your card levels are (probably 1-2 arenas lower than where you currently are).

Because of these factors, you have to recognize that it's going to be really difficult for you to stay at those higher trophy/arena levels because you're eventually going to get beat down by people with higher level cards than you. This made me really upset with the matchmaking too, back when I played this game more regularly. Instead you should just be pleased with yourself that you're higher in the ladder than someone with the same level cards as you typically would be and don't get mad when eventually the higher level guys beat you down an arena level or two, because it's unavoidable.

This also means, what is essentially one of the bigger problems with this game, that you can literally pay your way to a higher arenas if you gem to open chests and level your cards up more than someone who stays f2p. This is how they get you. You need to either find a level of contentment with bouncing around a few arenas as your skill eventually butts up with higher level players, or whip out your credit card and let Supercell know you're a high tier player.

Brakke

Banned
That doesn't sound like it will make things worse for somebody forging their way up the ladder in a genuine way. The biggest impact that would have I think, running the mental math, seems to be pairing off people who purposely drop down the ladder to farm crowns, arguably making it easier for everyone else?

Maybe. Without seeing the actual numbers and weights it's hard to say anything for sure on how this works, but we can imagine a couple shitty angles on it.

Is your trophy high even an accurate reflection of your proper skill? If you happen to go on a good run and set that watermark 200 trophies higher than you "belong", then regress back to your month average, well now you're always going to be fighting uphill.

Also, you're pretty much committing to your high watermark deck. Used to be, if I went on a slide, I'd goof around with a new deck for a bit while tryna climb back up. But that new deck has to have card levels commensurate with my highest-achieving deck or I'm boned. Even if the cards are at a proper level, it takes me a while to properly learn a new deck -- how am I going to learn my new deck while playing against sharks playing their most comfortable deck?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Maybe. Without seeing the actual numbers and weights it's hard to say anything for sure on how this works, but we can imagine a couple shitty angles on it.

Is your trophy high even an accurate reflection of your proper skill? If you happen to go on a good run and set that watermark 200 trophies higher than you "belong", then regress back to your month average, well now you're always going to be fighting uphill.

Also, you're pretty much committing to your high watermark deck. Used to be, if I went on a slide, I'd goof around with a new deck for a bit while tryna climb back up. But that new deck has to have card levels commensurate with my highest-achieving deck or I'm boned. Even if the cards are at a proper level, it takes me a while to properly learn a new deck -- how am I going to learn my new deck while playing against sharks playing their most comfortable deck?

Those do seem problematic. And I'd argue that's an argument why a straight trophy count system would be superior.

Of course, even straight trophy count matchmaking incentivizes you not to change your deck to underpowered cards.

as a F2P player I find this game not too hard to climb trophies,
granted that I have been playing for one year,
I have managed to reach 5300+ trophies,
This is without spending a single cent on the game, not even the arena pack.
So if you don't spend money on this game, its not impossible to climb up.
Highest rank that I have gotten to is around rank 1000 worldwide,
Key is you need to stay consistent with your deck and stop upgrading every card,
Just make sure to level up only the card that you use so you can have high level deck.

That's pretty impressive. What deck are you using?

very barebone deck,
miner,princess,ice wiz, barb,e collector, arrow, minion horde, and hog rider.

some weakness in this deck, but once you got used to it its quite effective, only weak to several decks like sparky deck and furnace deck.

Yeah, matchmaking is sometimes frustrating, but I don't know how it could be any different.

I'm level 9, at arena 9, 2800 trophies, with no normal card above 9 (I can lvl up archers, but I'm saving gold for mini Pekka), and only Golem at lvl 4. I am constantly paired against lvl 10 players, with normal cards at 11 and high cards. I can still beat them, but god damn it is getting hard. Specially against Royal Giant or E-Barbs with so much HP at a high level

My go-to deck is:

Golem lvl 4
Mini Pekka lvl 6
Mega MInion lvl 7
Minions lvl 9
Archers lvl 9
Collector lvl 6
Zap lvl 9
Tornadus lvl 3

I love this deck, was stuck at Arena 7 until I started using it, but I really need to upgrade cards, specially Mini Pekka and MM.

So I have to grind a lot or... fall into the business model and use my CC

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Clan battles are the best. Those games where you and your teammate are in perfect sync... nothing better.

Brakke

Banned
I downloaded the Pacific Rim soundtrack so I can get in the maximum drift-compatible headspace during clan battles. 😉

I have a deck I only play for Clan Battles that doesn't make any sense in single play but works really well with a teammate.

I even love when the other team is ultra-coordinated and rolls us. Had one where they waited for us to commit some cards in lane, then both did Gob Barrel and Mirror straight at our throne, then one did Clone and the other put out a Poison. Then they just chipped it down with fireballs and poisons.

HotHamBoy

Are there any GAF clans open?

I've been drifting around from Clan to Clan but so far they have not been great.

The Clan I just left didn't even get to first level Clan Battle chest.

I was busy with work all week. I can open it up today. We should specify the time.

Oh hey! What time would be best?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Man guys, I just want to get to 3800 so I can get that offer!

Sitting at 3700 but those 3 or 4 wins I need are so tough. I'm a lvl 10 so I have an uphill battle facing mostly 11s plus my commons are under leveled.

Musk 9
E whiz 2
GG 10
minions 10
Log 2
Miner 2
Fireball 8
Tombstone 8

Hogs and elites I run over but golems and lavaloons are still about a 25-30% win rate.

nampad

Are there any GAF clans open?

I've been drifting around from Clan to Clan but so far they have not been great.

The Clan I just left didn't even get to first level Clan Battle chest.

Oh hey! What time would be best?

I have time for the next 2 hours or so. Post if you are reading. Elsewise, starting from 20:00 CET.

Cooter

Dropped about 150 today. Arggghh. These 6 epics and 12 commons are a pain in my ass.

Dazzler

The high end of the ladder doesn't seem to have stretched out too much yet. I just poked my head above 4600 last night and it's full of level 11 rares, 7 epics and I even ran into a level 5 princess

Last season I was running into mostly level 11 players with reasonable card levels at this point

HotHamBoy

I have time for the next 2 hours or so. Post if you are reading. Elsewise, starting from 20:00 CET.

Damn it. I forgot to check yesterday. I'm available whenever today, just post here. Hopefully I'll remember to check back.

So awhile ago I passed on an offer to drop $5 on a Legendary chest thay would have gotten me my first Legendary.

How often do those offers come around? I really regret it.

Cooter

Damn it. I forgot to check yesterday. I'm available whenever today, just post here. Hopefully I'll remember to check back.

So awhile ago I passed on an offer to drop $5 on a Legendary chest thay would have gotten me my first Legendary.

Maybe once a month.

Kioshen

Epic chest offers come around every 7 days and legendary chest offers come around every 21 days last time I checked.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Good week of opening free chests:

HtVk7Lv.png
9xvgaxV.png

Cooter

Man guys. I've went to a super spammy deck and it might be the most annoying deck ever. It's fun though.

Tornado
Log
Zap
GB
GG
Ice spirit
Knight
Musketeer

HotHamBoy

HtVk7Lv.png
9xvgaxV.png

That's fucking ridiculous.

(Still don't have a legendary)

So I woke up today and realized I had 2264 trophies and the Clan Chest was almost maxed. "Damn!" I thought, "I should probably get to Arena 8 before midnight!"

Lol. Many, many games later I currently stand 2202.

I'm really frustrated. The decks that I seem to struggle with the most involve Clone. At this point I'm seeing many more opponents with cards from Arena 8 and I've not got them myself.

Sometimes I can be ready for it with Arrows but ultimately Clone ends up putting me on the backfoot for the rest of the match.

Usually it's Clone + Lavahound or Golem that does it. Throw a Witch in there and shit gets out of hand really fast. But really, Clone in general is the problem. Had a guy Clone a Giant Skeleton, which in itself was not a problem because the clone is soft, but the two bombs they left behind murdered my tower.

Current deck:

Arrows
Archers
Gobby Spears
Valk
Giant
Baby D
Balloon
Muskateer

Another dude that's fuckin up my strategy is Ice Wizard. He puts my matchups behind so that I have a hard time gaining momentum. Tornado is also really good at stalling me out.

JDdelphin

HtVk7Lv.png
9xvgaxV.png

Yeah I got two legendaries in two consecutive free chests when I woke up Saturday. It was insane.

A lumberjack and an e.wiz.

I got a e.wiz that friday from a free chest as well.

This is the luck I have. Can't win at the lottery noooooo. Just this happens :)

I had no legendaries for months and months after most other had several now I get all this and never use them :/

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm really frustrated. The decks that I seem to struggle with the most involve Clone. At this point I'm seeing many more opponents with cards from Arena 8 and I've not got them myself.

Sometimes I can be ready for it with Arrows but ultimately Clone ends up putting me on the backfoot for the rest of the match.

Usually it's Clone + Lavahound or Golem that does it. Throw a Witch in there and shit gets out of hand really fast. But really, Clone in general is the problem. Had a guy Clone a Giant Skeleton, which in itself was not a problem because the clone is soft, but the two bombs they left behind murdered my tower.

Current deck:

Arrows
Archers
Gobby Spears
Valk
Giant
Baby D
Balloon
Muskateer

Another dude that's fuckin up my strategy is Ice Wizard. He puts my matchups behind so that I have a hard time gaining momentum. Tornado is also really good at stalling me out.

Clone is a card that barely gets used at the top end. But where you are at makes it a little trickier to deal with. I don't have any specific advice other than them using clone means they have one less troop card type to use so are less versatile.

On your deck, between arrows, archers, goblin spears, and musketeer you have a lot of cards that do "the same thing". I'd suggest dropping the archers. You'd still have the musketeer for punchy ranged and air attack, and the goblin spears for cheap ranged and air attack and fodder.

In it's place seeing as you are having problems with lavahound, golem, and giant skeleton, I'd suggest inferno tower to draw the attack and deal some serious damage. If you struggle with the elixir cost of inferno tower, tombstone and cannon could be alternatives. These will all help with hog decks too.

HotHamBoy

Clone is a card that barely gets used at the top end. But where you are at makes it a little trickier to deal with. I don't have any specific advice other than them using clone means they have one less troop card type to use so are less versatile.

On your deck, between arrows, archers, goblin spears, and musketeer you have a lot of cards that do "the same thing". I'd suggest dropping the archers. You'd still have the musketeer for punchy ranged and air attack, and the goblin spears for cheap ranged and air attack and fodder.

In it's place seeing as you are having problems with lavahound, golem, and giant skeleton, I'd suggest inferno tower to draw the attack and deal some serious damage. If you struggle with the elixir cost of inferno tower, tombstone and cannon could be alternatives. These will all help with hog decks too.

Hmm, okay! I'll try that out. I would really like to keep elixer cost down.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Hmm, okay! I'll try that out. I would really like to keep elixer cost down.

Something else that works well on Giant Skeleton is kiting it with your Giant. If you wait until the Giant Skeleton is close to the tower then drop a Giant behind it, it will be pulled back up and away, allowing your tower and Baby Dragon to kill it easy. Best part is it can't easily catch up to the Giant, so it will struggle to do damage to it and your opponent will be forced to defend.

Alternatively, drop a giant just over halfway by the river on the other side just as a Giant Skeleton (or Pekka) is crossing the river. It will pull the enemy right across the map, having bother towers shoot at it, and it won't be able to catch up to your giant and deal damage to it. Just be careful not to place ground troops in such a way that it stops that.

jamsy

Finally managed to get to player level 8 and at last cracked 2600 trophies and got to Arena 9. I feel like I have the least interesting deck out there (pretty much all my cards save one can be obtained in the first couple arenas), but it works pretty well most of the time...

Current deck:

Knight
Minion Horde
Inferno Dragon
Balloon
Valkyrie
Arrows
Baby Dragon
Skeleton Army

As far as legendaries for the person above - I have a few of them, and I never spent a dollar on this game. Play enough and it'll drop. I've gotten a couple from the free chests for example.

Alo0oy

Banned
I stopped playing for a few months and failed all the GAFers in the clan and they left! I'm ready to jump back into the game, should I delete the old clan? are there openings in other GAF clans?

Matt Frost

I stopped playing for a few months and failed all the GAFers in the clan and they left! I'm ready to jump back into the game, should I delete the old clan? are there openings in other GAF clans?

The clan im in has a spot left if you want. Very active as well

Brakke

Banned
Yes NeoGAF (#20Y9PQ) has a slot open. Our current trophy limit is set at 3000. Let us know if you want it lowered. Unfortunately I don't have permissions to change it, so it might take a little while to get everything sorted out.

J0dy77

Have a lava hound in the shop today, not sure if I should pull the trigger. Sitting on 97k gold and really need a log. Only cards I'm missing at this point are log, hound, lumberjack and inferno dragon. Any suggestions?

LiQuid!

Why not just buy it? You'll still have enough cash for your log when it shows up and hound unlocks some pretty fun decks. LJ and Inferno dragon (even tho ID is my favorite card) are situational support cards but you can craft entire decks around having a hound available.

Rixxan

3200 Trophies

Tower Level 9

Pekka (Lvl 4)
Wiz (Lvl 6)
Minion Horde (Lvl 9)
Minions (Lvl 9)
Tornado (Lvl 2)
Cannon (Lvl 9)
Princess (Lvl 1)
Zap (Lvl 9)

Playing non-stop Tower 10's and 11's - starting to get frustrating because i cant make a dent in some of these higher level decks

Really cant imagine how some people get Epics to level 7 and Rares to Lvl 11

I mean, i guess just spending mad cash on the game, but woof - nuts

Edit: My strategy with this deck involves using the tornado to gather mobs to my pekka, with my wizard in tow to cleave - not sure if its a decent deck or not but it seems to be alright, i've done no deck theorycrafting at all

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Have a lava hound in the shop today, not sure if I should pull the trigger. Sitting on 97k gold and really need a log. Only cards I'm missing at this point are log, hound, lumberjack and inferno dragon. Any suggestions?

Are you planning to build a deck around Lava Hound? If not, don't buy it. No point spending a lot of gold on a card you don't need. You'll need that gold later for leveling your cards.

J0dy77

Are you planning to build a deck around Lava Hound? If not, don't buy it. No point spending a lot of gold on a card you don't need. You'll need that gold later for leveling your cards.

This was holding me back, not sure I want to build a deck around lavahound. I personally hate playing balloons. Still debating but will likely hold off.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yeah so after messing around with my deck and taking some advice I'm now at 2052. Fell all the way from 2264.

:(

I just don't even know what you are expecting any more. The nature of the game means you will hit a new high trophy wall regularly. You are going to go up and down the ladder by a couple of hundred points without even changing anything regularly. Every time you change your deck you'll likely drop trophies initially because you both won't have the new cards levelled and won't be used to the new play style straight away. There is no deck that isn't weak to some other deck.

The magic bullet where you race to the top of the leaderboard without any friction doesn't exist.

JoeNut

Yeah so after messing around with my deck and taking some advice I'm now at 2052. Fell all the way from 2264.

:(

messing around with your deck means you're inexperienced again. It's like...playing a new formation in football, it might be amazing but if you don't know how to play it correctly it wont work

J0dy77

I just don't even know what you are expecting any more. The nature of the game means you will hit a new high trophy wall regularly. You are going to go up and down the ladder by a couple of hundred points without even changing anything regularly. Every time you change your deck you'll likely drop trophies initially because you both won't have the new cards levelled and won't be used to the new play style straight away. There is no deck that isn't weak to some other deck.

The magic bullet where you race to the top of the leaderboard without any friction doesn't exist.

I agree. I was on terrible losing streak over 400 trophies then found a great deck that helped me climb back to a new trophy high. As a result, I'm now constantly hitting opponents with King tower advantage and 2 levels on cards. Going against epics and legendaries 2 levels high is liking playing high school basketball as a 5th grader. Just have keep grinding the cards and enjoying the fair match ups but it is damn frustrating.

Top Bottom