• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I notice not many people in GAF Royale are donating. Donate often and request as often as you can. You are not losing anything as you can just request your donation back. It is easy exp and gold when you donate.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I notice not many people in GAF Royale are donating. Donate often and request as often as you can. You are not losing anything as you can just request your donation back. It is easy exp and gold when you donate.

People who don't donate are only hurting themselves. That experience and gold adds up over time, especially for F2P players. I have almost 2000 XP from just donating to guildmates.

Edit:

I've played about 100 matches over the last 24 hours, and I've stayed in the 1100-1300 trophy point range the entire time.

The game sure does a great job at matchmaking to make sure that, no matter how hard I try to adapt and try new strategies, that I'll never make it to the next tier without a few weeks of lucky chests drops, or just dropping more cash. :p

Doesn't it? :p Wait until you cross over to the next arena tier... then get knocked back down. Drove me crazy.

Kitoro

I've played about 100 matches over the last 24 hours, and I've stayed in the 1100-1300 trophy point range the entire time.

The game sure does a great job at matchmaking to make sure that, no matter how hard I try to adapt and try new strategies, that I'll never make it to the next tier without a few weeks of lucky chests drops, or just dropping more cash. :p

Kouriozan

Tried it...
Still too anxious to do PvP games with complete strangers, thanks agoraphobia :(
The tutorial was nice, then did 2 PvP matches and I was sweating too much, haha.

GeeDuhb

I sent a request to GAF Royale but got declined...maybe I will do it one more time in case I had to post about it? I am GeeDuhb on there as well

Edit: Thanks clan leader! That was quick! I forgot to put in the message last time I was from GAF. That was my bad.

I sent a request to GAF Royale but got declined...maybe I will do it one more time in case I had to post about it? I am GeeDuhb on there as well

Edit: Thanks clan leader! That was quick! I forgot to put in the message last time I was from GAF. That was my bad.

Request sent to GAF Royale username: darkstalkers

EDIT: Thanks, Leader! Super fast!

Welcome along! But no need to thank me, it's our super smooth organisation and excelllent clan members who do all the hard work.. :)

broz0rs

I believe there's at least four GAF clans at the moment. There could be more..

NeoGAF
Neogaf
GAF
GAF Royale

All of them are near max capacity

So I'm in Arena 4 about 100 trophies from arena 5

My deck is-
Flying minions
2 cost goblins
archers
musketeer
giant skeleton
skeleton horde
xbow
rocket

All gotten through f2p(Except giant skele)((Xbow I bought from shop))

I don't think it's impossible to get to the higher arenas going f2p. mostly requires patience in unlocking chests.

I think there are actually F2P players at 3000+. I'm at 1800 right now by playing casually. Pretty sure I'd be a lot higher than that if I played a lot. I sometime don't have any chests opening and I often sit on unlocking crown chest.

Willing

Neo Member
I started two days ago and am now hovering around 650-750 trophies, but most of my opponents seem to have stronger cards. I almost made it to 800 without getting more than a single arena 2 chest.

But as other have noted, once you start running into people with cards 2 levels higher than yours it gets really difficult to win. Sadly time really stands in the way of progress, which contradicts with my basic gaming philosophy: skill should get you ahead, not mere time invested. Sure, I know, this is a mobile game, and the gameplay is fun, so I'll stick around for some more chests for a while...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
had one match where the opponent threw three princes at me - one from the start. You can only have one of each type in your deck right? That seems very fast to recycle them.

Obviously I got crushed :p

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I started two days ago and am now hovering around 650-750 trophies, but most of my opponents seem to have stronger cards. I almost made it to 800 without getting more than a single arena 2 chest.

But as other have noted, once you start running into people with cards 2 levels higher than yours it gets really difficult to win. Sadly time really stands in the way of progress, which contradicts with my basic gaming philosophy: skill should get you ahead, not mere time invested. Sure, I know, this is a mobile game, and the gameplay is fun, so I'll stick around for some more chests for a while...
I'm in the same situation. Level 2 Prince is my main kill card and outside of that I feel the lack of a second legendary. I can deal with a skeleton swarn since I swapped out Mini Pekka for the Vakyrie but Giant Bomb Skelleton or Bomb Balloon fuck me up.

Heh, I'll keep playing to get some chests and upgrade my card/get new ones. Still having fun so I'm good.

Karu

I'm in the same situation. Level 2 Prince is my main kill card and outside of that I feel the lack of a second legendary. I can deal with a skeleton swarn since I swapped out Mini Pekka for the Vakyrie but Giant Bomb Skelleton or Bomb Balloon fuck me up.
Musketeer for Ballon and the giant bomb skelleton should be dealt with like the Giant if you don't have the horde yourself - kobolds. Surroundings and other troops on the field obviously factor into this, but generally speaking that should be a good starting point.

Willing

Neo Member

Heh, I'll keep playing to get some chests and upgrade my card/get new ones. Still having fun so I'm good.

The way progression in these games work is fairly infuriating. Think about it: right now I just made it to arena 3, or >800 trophies. I don't even own a level 2 legendary card. So I might still win some matches here and there, but sooner or later I'm going to run into a wall where my cards literally cannot compete. And then I have to wait or buy gems to speed things up.

At first buying gems seems like a fairly good deal, I mean hell, for a low price I'll be able to level up my cards and compete again. Only in a short while I'll run into ANOTHER wall and I will once again have the same choice: wait or pay.

In a sense the way the game encourages you to progress is based on a certain false premise: the fact that things will get get more 'fun' or more 'interesting' later on. Sure, you unlock some extra cards, but in reality the base game does not change much.

There's some psychological shit going on with these type of games, lemme tell ya!

Karu

In a sense the way the game encourages you to progress is based on a certain false premise: the fact that things will get get more 'fun' or more 'interesting' later on. Sure, you unlock some extra cards, but in reality the base game does not change much.
I figured this out in Clash of Clans fairly early on and that's why i enjoy this game and have no problem with the progression system. I'm not one who wants to be at the top of the chart no matter what, so the gameplay in tiself is satisfying enough for me.

hollomat

Banned
The way progression in these games work is fairly infuriating. Think about it: right now I just made it to arena 3, or >800 trophies. I don't even own a level 2 legendary card. So I might still win some matches here and there, but sooner or later I'm going to run into a wall where my cards literally cannot compete. And then I have to wait or buy gems to speed things up.

At first buying gems seems like a fairly good deal, I mean hell, for a low price I'll be able to level up my cards and compete again. Only in a short while I'll run into ANOTHER wall and I will once again have the same choice: wait or pay.

There's some psychological shit going on with these type of games, lemme tell ya!

I'm in arena 4 with only 2 legendary cards (witch and lightning and both are level 1). I keep running into level 2 princes and baby dragons which are wrecking me.

Xamdou

Just got a Giant's Chest, did I just hit the jackpot?

Haven't opened it yet but it says it has 1,100 - 1,300 Gold, 16 rares and 160 cards.

Crazyorloco

is there something i'm missing here...

I feel this has some good game play, but eventually you'll get to the point (after about 15 minutes) where you can only play once (for 3 minutes) every 3 hours to unlock a chest.

Chests take way too long to unlock. I feel like uninstalling, but i'm going to give this game a chance.

Willing

Neo Member
Just got a Giant's Chest, did I just hit the jackpot?

Haven't opened it yet but it says it has 1,100 - 1,300 Gold, 16 rares and 160 cards.

Chests gained after winning a match follow a set pattern. Check out this chart: http://i.imgur.com/6JI6JsS.jpg

As far as I know, the only 'luck' you can have is finding a Super Magical Chest, which can replace any chest from the chart. Drop% of those is very low.

I'd like also to join GAF Royale. Just sent a request. Name: monsieurpaul

My sincerest apologies, monsieur! It was by mistake I have not noticed this post here.. Sorry for this inconvinience... Which is ofcourse even worse now that the clan is full... What can I say, I'm sorry. Let's keep a place for you when one opens or hopefully a place will become available on the other gaf clans?

I've had a jarring haedache the whole day, and that has affected my concentration :(

pronk420

I was kicked from the neogaf clan for some reason, I'm in GAF Royale now, please don't kick me just because I have a low number of trophies!

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I was kicked from the neogaf clan for some reason, I'm in GAF Royale now, please don't kick me just because I have a low number of trophies!

I can't speak for the other clans as I am in GAF Royale, but we aren't kicking people for trophies that I know of....

MiTYH

Just found out my soft-launch version of the game (played on a different device) is still alive and active. Has witch/prince, neither of which my current one has. Anyone know how difficult it would be to move it from one device to the next?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just found out my soft-launch version of the game (played on a different device) is still alive and active. Has witch/prince, neither of which my current one has. Anyone know how difficult it would be to move it from one device to the next?

under your profile settings it says "link device"

that might do it

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Complained here that I only got one Epic and the next crown chest...
9IyjyNA.jpg

Now I don't know how to retool my deck to include it alongside my Prince, suggestions appreciated (Members of the GAF Clan can see what I can donate, def not stingy about rares)

Xamdou

By just winning a normal match?

Yeap!

Chests gained after winning a match follow a set pattern. Check out this chart: http://i.imgur.com/6JI6JsS.jpg

As far as I know, the only 'luck' you can have is finding a Super Magical Chest, which can replace any chest from the chart. Drop% of those is very low.

I've gotten a magical chest and a giant chest thus far but no Super Magical Chest yet. Thanks for set chest pattern link!

Gotchaye

The skeleton king is so much better than the standard giant. The bomb it drops is devastating if you're anywhere near their castle.

Yeah this is one of my most-wanted at this point. I also traded in some gems I'd saved up for enough gold to get a Prince in the store, but I don't know if it's worth using until level 2.

Xamdou

Yeah this is one of my most-wanted at this point. I also traded in some gems I'd saved up for enough gold to get a Prince in the store, but I don't know if it's worth using until level 2.

I need the prince badly, most definitely one of the most op units in the game.

Ghost23

Just got a super magical chest! Can't help but feel it's wasted though because I'm only in arena 2. So I'll be stuck just getting the cards from the previous arenas? I was so close to being arena 3 as well.

Ferny

Just got a super magical chest! Can't help but feel it's wasted though because I'm only in arena 2. So I'll be stuck just getting the cards from the previous arenas? I was so close to be arena 3 as well.

Yeah but your Arena 2 cards and before will be upgraded a ton and that's just as, if not more important.

FerranMG

Complained here that I only got one Epic and the next crown chest...

Now I don't know how to retool my deck to include it alongside my Prince, suggestions appreciated (Members of the GAF Clan can see what I can donate, def not stingy about rares)
You have almost the same deck as me.
I'd suggest swapping the Valkyrie for the Balloon. Then you'll have a pretty powerful attack combo of you can play the Prince and the Balloon at the same time. Has been working well for me!

Is that pattern actually accurate? I'm well over 51 wins and I've not gotten a giant chest. And my magical chest came around 20 something wins. Is it for three crown wins?

Edit: Nope. Not for three crown wins either, as I'm at 60+ for that.

Found a deck I'm comfortable with, for now. Won 5 in a row with this, and have slightly over 1,000 trophies. The avg elixir is a bit high (3.9), but it's worth it imo.

Skeleton King (Lvl 2)
Skeletons (Lvl 5)
Baby Dragon (Lvl 1)
Mini Peka (Lvl 3)
Goblin Barrel (Lvl 2)
Bomb Tower (Lvl 3)
Spear Goblins (Lvl 5)
Prince (Lvl 2)

Top Bottom