• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic NPD-Age: April Edition 2009, 2004, 1999, 1994 sales data

Square2015

Th7XDgE.png

More data may be coming...

Nintendo focused writeup:
Note: I'm going to write @ for LTD out of convenience.
When referencing the rank (#1) it's out of a SW chart of 50 best sellers.
MoM = month over month

APRIL 2009 - Wii:

The Post-Easter slowdown. Wii sales almost fall in half from 600k to 340k MoM along with all next-gen systems. I have in my notes: "post-Easter slowdown worse this year due to the [Great] Recession". The US [and world] went into recession last year, the stock market had crashed the previous fall...is this a factor in the slowing sales?

Wii Fit was No. 1 for the month reclaiming that spot having maintained it since last November (only ousted last month) to sell 471,000 this month and @ 7 million total, Wii Fit officially available one year now. 7m in a year, probably a record. Mario Kart (#3) sold 210,000 @ 5.9m total, Wii Play (#4) with 170,000 @ 10.6m total.

APRIL 2004 - Gamecube:

GC slows a bit for Spring and sells just under 100k this month (@7.3m), XB has 'dat surprise Easter price drop' from $179>149 and becomes the winner this month. XB sells 275,000 almost 100k more than PS2! The price drop ignites 2004 as XBOX's strongest selling year, and at times even giving PS2 a run for its money....This may have sealed the fate of the 'cube as the THIRD PLACE console, the gap between the GC and XB stands now at 1 million and will only grow from here on. Sorry Gahiggidy...

Pokémon Coliseum in its second month falls to #5 with 156,000 @ 500k. Harvest Moon falls to #33 @ 105k. Debuting at #39 is WarioWare Inc. with 35,000 and January's Sonic Heroes (#49) bottoms out the chart @ 365,000 LTD.

APRIL 1999 - Nintendo 64:

N64 sells 120,000 to PSX's 215,000 (@ 11.3m to 16.1m LTD, respectively). The comeback expected with Zelda 64 failed to narrow the gap between the two, we're still looking at Sony doubling N64 each month.

February's hit, Mario Party [1], remains the highest seller on the console (#4 for the month) @ 590,000 LTD. The Nintendo all-star scuffle: Super Smash Bros. (#5) debuts nicely selling 120,000, and that is its opening week! Expect SSB to be a hit if not a long seller, sales are already about a million in Japan! EA's Beetle Adventure Racing (#9) sells 60,000 @ 99,000.
Other notables: Acclaims' All-Star Baseball 2000 (#12) debuts with 56,000. Super Mario 64 (#20) breaks 4.5 million, Mario Kart 64 (#23) is nearing 3.5m. SM64 and MK64 are just staples in the charts staying within the top 30 throughout the life of the system.

APRIL 1994 - SUPER NES:

Likely in response to Sega's boom since the release of the Genesis 2 with Mortal Kombat last fall NoA begins bundling its hit titles to keep the SNES from continuing to get marginalized. Last month it was a Super Mario Kart "Super Set" this month a "control set" with Zelda, and next month we'll see a Star Fox super set. All in all the SNES sold 120,000 this month, NoA may have more effectively warded off the post-Easter crash than Sega did: The Genesis sales actually cut in half MoM selling 130,000 (to last month's 270,000). Congrats NIntendo? Or is Sega just taking a breather from all those TV ads?

Ken Griffey Jr. (#4) in its second month sold 75,000 @ 120,000. Sega's World Series Baseball (#2) also in its second month ousted it with 93,000 @ 125,000...can you get any closer?? Last month's "Boomshakalaka" NBA Jam slam dunk, approaches 1.3m LTD in just two month! With this and Mortal Kombat, Acclaim is ON FIRE.
SUPER METROID (#4) debuts with 58,000. This gem will sell over the slow spring until the hits start picking back up like Street Fighter (Super!) this summer, Oh and another FX chip game, Stunt Race. This and the upcoming Virtua Racing, arcade-like 3D gaming is on its way!

I just noticed that the SNES and N64 are selling lock-in step with each other and the GC just below them. Similar patterns.

Edit: new data added
April 1989:
Nintendo Power "Dealer Charts". these were actual retail sales charts (unlike the "Pros" and "Players" charts) and included figures in the early years (the figures were compressed to always equal around 35,000 though to be equal with the Pro and Player charts as the three would be combined for NP's monthly TOP30 chart, equal representation). This gives us an idea of what was sellng during the same time period of the NES cycle.
Apr-1989 NP iss. Jul/Aug 89
1 NES Super Mario Bros. 2 Nintendo 6,677
2 NES Zelda II- Adventure of Link Nintendo 4,286
3 NES Tecmo Bowl Tecmo 2,891
4 NES Ninja Gaiden Tecmo 2,809
5 NES Track & Field II Konami 2,130
6 NES Castlevania II- Simon's Quest Konami 1,492
7 NES Contra Konami 1,193
8 NES Skate or Die Ultra 1,129
9 NES Operation Wolf Taito 1,024
10 NES Double Dribble Konami 897
11 NES Rampage Data East 789
12 NES Ultima: Exodus FCI 776
13 NES WrestleMania Acclaim 773
14 NES Tecmo Baseball Tecmo 612
15 NES Blades of Steel Konami 600
16 NES Donkey Kong Classics Konami 572
17 NES Bandai Golf: Challenge Pebble Beach Bandai 545
18 NES Wheel of Fortune GameTek 534
19 NES Friday The 13th LJN 514
20 NES Jackal Konami 468
21 NES Bubble Bobble Taito 451
22 NES R.C. Pro-Am Racing Nintendo 451
23 NES Legend of Zelda Nintendo 448
24 NES Adventure Island Hudson 443
25 NES Double Dragon Tradewest 440
26 NES Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf SNK 428
27 NES Excitebike Nintendo 417
28 NES Mystery Quest Taxan 408
29 NES Mickey Mousecapade Capcom 402
30 NES Top Gun Konami 401
I developed a formula for nationwide estimating but cannot attest accuracy, I can add the numbers if someone is curious.

Last month:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1215053

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ugh, I miss old NPDs. Nowadays it's just game #1-10 with no numbers unless first parties want to release numbers which they usually don't unless the game is a success and even then it's usually shipped numbers.

Futurematic

As always thank you for these threads. As usual this is invaluable data for multiple areas (and like if you ever wanna speculate on alternate outcomes if say the SNES CD existed I'm onboard :).

Holy fuck at the legs on some of these games. A lovely look at early adopting vs late adopting console gamers as well, just watch the niches evolve.

Takao

Banned
I remember there being rumours that Sony prevented the NPD from releasing more detailed public charts. Do we know if that was actually true or just internet hearsay?

Phediuk

I've heard that, contrary to popular belief, Super Metroid sold more in Japan than the US. This data seems to confirm it. That's a pretty weak debut.

Back when video game sales were interesting. I've been watching NPD threads and Media Create since ~2003 and video game sales are absolute pitiful to pay attention to now.

Phediuk

Interesting that N64 game sales are concentrated in just a few games where PS1 sales are way more spread out among a huge variety.

Phediuk

Was the Genesis seriously $24 in 1999?

I mean that would've been a Majesco Genesis, but I didn't know they slashed the price that much.

Man...the Saturn was completely toast by April '99.

I had no idea the Genesis was dominating software charts like that in '94.

I totally forgot that Army Men used to be a big deal franchise.

Gono

Banned
Sonic Spinball and Eternal Champions selling more than Megaman X and A Link to the Past...

GO SEGA!!

how were these guys not rich?

super small teams, huge numbers for nba jam... so many games that cost how much more that sell way less... sort of understanable why so many studios are defunct in today's market

Square2015

As always thank you for these threads. As usual this is invaluable data for multiple areas (and like if you ever wanna speculate on alternate outcomes if say the SNES CD existed I'm onboard :).

Holy fuck at the legs on some of these games. A lovely look at early adopting vs late adopting console gamers as well, just watch the niches evolve.

Hey Square, why you don't include handhelds? Just asking.

Great work as usual!
Thank you thank uou

Phediuk

how were these guys not rich?

super small teams, huge numbers for nba jam... so many games that cost how much more that sell way less... sort of understanable why so many studios are defunct in today's market

Arcade market collapsed, and with it, Midway's main revenue stream. Also, Mortal Kombat faded away in the late 90s and the followups to NBA Jam weren't as popular.

Shion

SEGA dominating like a boss.

Also, holy shit at Zelda 1+2 being in the Top-50 so many years after their original release, well deserved.

This is awesome thank you so much for sharing.

Crazy to see how few copies games used to sell

Question: where did you get these from?

allan-bh

Pretty sure 1994 was the last time "SEGA" and "dominating" were ever used in the same sentence.

yeah, 1994 was the last good year for Sega. In 1995 the new gen begin and the company never recovered of this colossal mistake named Sega Saturn.

Phediuk

Pretty sure 1994 was the last time "SEGA" and "dominating" were ever used in the same sentence.

Yeah it's kinda amazing how fast Sega squandered their success; they were the market leader for four years straight.

Pretty much nothing good happened to them after 1994.

Forkball

I like how GoldenEye was in the top 10 when it was pushing two years old. That game had insane legs.

Halo was also almost three years old and still got into the top 10 for 2004. Though at that time Halo 2 hype was building.

Really interesting lists. It's incredible to think back and realize how popular sports games were. Yeah they are still huge sellers now, but everything is more homogenized. You had three completely different NBA games in the top 10 for the '94 chart, and in 2004 a boxing title and what was essentially an NBA spinoff game charted highly. Now you basically just see Madden, MLB, and NBA 2K on the charts and rarely at the top.

And those Wii days were so sweet for Nintendo fans. Seeing Mario Kart always on the chart, the "it prints money gif"... SAVE US NX

Square2015

Nintendo writeup added to OP.

And

April 1999 handheld HW projections:

GBC ~248,000 / 1,940,000
GBP ~70,000 / 4,440,000
GG ~200 / 1,260,000 since '95

allan-bh

Hey Square, maybe you could start a Classic NPD thread (or a serie of threads) and post the data starting jan 94 in a chronological order, with let's say weekly updates.

Something like that for people to discuss sales and follow the progression. These are old data so I don't think has any problem.

Square2015

Added to OP
April 1989:

Nintendo Power "Dealer Charts". these were actual retail sales charts (unlike the "Pros" and "Players" charts) and included figures in the early years (the figures were compressed to always equal around 35,000 though to be equal with the Pro and Player charts as the three would be combined for NP's monthly TOP30 chart, equal representation). This gives us an idea of what was sellng during the same time period of the NES cycle.
Apr-1989 NP iss. Jul/Aug 89
1 NES Super Mario Bros. 2 Nintendo 6,677
2 NES Zelda II- Adventure of Link Nintendo 4,286
3 NES Tecmo Bowl Tecmo 2,891
4 NES Ninja Gaiden Tecmo 2,809
5 NES Track & Field II Konami 2,130
6 NES Castlevania II- Simon's Quest Konami 1,492
7 NES Contra Konami 1,193
8 NES Skate or Die Ultra 1,129
9 NES Operation Wolf Taito 1,024
10 NES Double Dribble Konami 897
11 NES Rampage Data East 789
12 NES Ultima: Exodus FCI 776
13 NES WrestleMania Acclaim 773
14 NES Tecmo Baseball Tecmo 612
15 NES Blades of Steel Konami 600
16 NES Donkey Kong Classics Konami 572
17 NES Bandai Golf: Challenge Pebble Beach Bandai 545
18 NES Wheel of Fortune GameTek 534
19 NES Friday The 13th LJN 514
20 NES Jackal Konami 468
21 NES Bubble Bobble Taito 451
22 NES R.C. Pro-Am Racing Nintendo 451
23 NES Legend of Zelda Nintendo 448
24 NES Adventure Island Hudson 443
25 NES Double Dragon Tradewest 440
26 NES Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf SNK 428
27 NES Excitebike Nintendo 417
28 NES Mystery Quest Taxan 408
29 NES Mickey Mousecapade Capcom 402
30 NES Top Gun Konami 401
I developed a formula for nationwide estimating but cannot attest accuracy, I can add the numbers if someone is curious.

Top Bottom