• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cleveland Indians are the second team in MLB history to win 21 straight games

Not

Banned
I was reading this thread quickly and started to get very confused, but I guess there was a game going on just now?

Oozer3993

Cleveland is the best:

skcwgnb.jpg

clemenx

Banned
Just enjoy this at the fullest folks. The reality of baseball playoffs is that it is a complete crapshoot. Can't lose too much sleep is they lose the world series.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I always wanted the Indians to win every game and never lose again

I feel like I'm getting my wish

P.S. A mod needs to change the thread title!

Bowler

No, which is why the record streak is 26 not 22.

Yup. While a case can be made that the Indian streak is much more difficult and a bigger achievement then the giants in 1916, 26 games is still the record. No astreck needed. The game was called in the 8th inning due to thunderstorms and darkness. It was tied,and what most people do not realize is they had to replay the game the next day from the beginning with a double header. In which New York won both games continuing there streak to 26 games.

But in baseball records are meant to be broken... So good luck to them from this yankee fan. They are playing really good ball. They swept us In NY as part of this streak.

Machado

My favorite team... Watching them winning a world series is something I've longed ever since I became interested in baseball decades ago.

I'm STILL bitter that they lost 1997 world series.

kess

Terry Francona seems to have the magic touch for cursed teams.

In retrospect, it's pretty amazing he got 70 wins out of the late 90s Phillies.

The MLB has been around for 114 years

*The American League has been around for 116 years
The National League has been around for 141 years
Professional Baseball has been around for 148 years

(Incidentally, the first professional Baseball team, the Cincinnati Red Stockings, had a fairly prolific win streak themselves - 84 consecutive games)

Fatalah

*The American League has been around for 116 years
The National League has been around for 141 years
Professional Baseball has been around for 148 years

(Incidentally, the first professional Baseball team, the Cincinnati Red Stockings, had a fairly prolific win streak themselves - 84 consecutive games)

It's all about the Federal League.

On the one hand, congrats to this team. Great accomplishment.

On the other hand, I was at the A's 20th game in a row in 2002 and still have my stub ;_;

that's awesome.

Yup. While a case can be made that the Indian streak is much more difficult and a bigger achievement then the giants in 1916, 26 games is still the record. No astreck needed. The game was called in the 8th inning due to thunderstorms and darkness. It was tied,and what most people do not realize is they had to replay the game the next day from the beginning with a double header. In which New York won both games continuing there streak to 26 games.

But in baseball records are meant to be broken... So good luck to them from this yankee fan. They are playing really good ball. They swept us In NY as part of this streak.

mine as well make it 27 and remove all discussion. :D

My Aunt lives in Cleveland and apparently they are going crazy over this. I'm a diehard Yankees fan but considering my team is going nowhere in the playoffs (we'll beat Minnesota but probably get ousted by Cleveland or Houston in the ALDS) I'll be rooting for Cleveland come the WS.

Sephzilla

That comeback was awesome, and this streak is ridiculous. I was rooting for Cleveland in the World Series last year so I hope they manage to win it this year.

The Giants' streak is not bullshit. It was a tied game before bad weather set in and they replayed the entire game. If the Giants had lost that replay game we could potentially be saying that they were screwed out of a potential win because of the rain delay and cancellation.

entremet

Just enjoy this at the fullest folks. The reality of baseball playoffs is that it is a complete crapshoot. Can't lose too much sleep is they lose the world series.
Yep Baseball is a harsh mistress in the postseason. Pitchers get hot, lineups get cold, and so on.

hoserx

They did not. That game did not count in the standings. There are no ties in baseball. the game was canceled and replayed the following day, and the Giants won.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I still think it should have an asterisk attached. That being said, hopefully the tribe can continue this and put that old record to bed.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I still think it should have an asterisk attached. That being said, hopefully the tribe can continue this and put that old record to bed.

Why? If one of the Indians games was postponed due to rain, and never replayed (which happens sometimes late in the season if the game would have zero effect on pennant races) would you ask for an asterisk too?

hoserx

Why? If one of the Indians games was postponed due to rain, and never replayed (which happens sometimes late in the season if the game would have zero effect on pennant races) would you ask for an asterisk too?

Because if a game was played to 8 innings in the modern era, it would be considered a complete game. I guess I just hate the giants. I'll move along.

agreed. and bring back the Boston Braves (or make a new one I guess) and the Expos.
and also bring back the following leagues

Federal League
American Association
Union Association
National Association

baseball all year round.

I could go for this.

Think a 21st-century Players' League would fly?
(Probably not)

Speaking of - Baseball could use another Monte Ward.

Top Bottom