• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B says his next game will be a PC-only first person arena shooter

Alric

But that doesn't sound like he'll need a $200 million dollar budget for that. It obviously can't be done by his standards.

szaromir

Banned
Not a tweet, this was straight from his mouth to a pretty well respected industry guy in Kevin P.

If this thread is against the rules than I was unaware. Please lock in that case.
It's fine, the rule was no more CliffyB threads until he finds a job. Which he apperantly has found.

Chobel

Well until he signs a contract for it, it's technically still in the "hopes" phase.

Of course, but the word "hopes" imply there's a possibility where he's not granted the license of Unreal engine, AFAIK it's only matter of money, and Cliffy B should be wealthy enough to get a license.

btkadams

map-aedm17lg.jpg

man i miss multiplayer shooters like this.

If Sony was smart they'd give this guy the money to start up a studio and make a shooter for them.

I like Cliff and the games he has done. But I think Sony would need to see him show a little more diversity in the way his games look before they would go throwing money at him. Also I think if Cliff is taking on this project on his own, it's because he wants to. Not because Microsoft or Sony didn't want him.
Like I said I've liked his games in the past, and will be interested in finding out more but I'm not overly excited at this point.

Cliffy if you are reading this, remember game play over graphics please.

I dont want foliage, sparks, water drops, smoke, dust, etc etc to block my view, just want good level design and the ability to shoot anything that moves.

Actually, the less walls the better.

map-aedm17lg.jpg
HOLY SHIT! Right in the childhood.
So many good times with Q3A. dm17 ftw! \o/

#getoffmylawn

Quake bitches leave.

I also just realized that what 2GD's doing and what CliffyB's doing could revitalize the old Q3 vs UT wars (which UT won).

Didn't Cliffty create Unreal?

I don`t think he created Unreal, but he was one of the lead designers on the first game (the original single player game) as well one of the lead designers and map makers for Unreal Tournament `99. Actually, I think he was involved in every Unreal Tournament game to some degree or another.

denx

Cliffy if you are reading this, remember game play over graphics please.

I dont want foliage, sparks, water drops, smoke, dust, etc etc to block my view, just want good level design and the ability to shoot anything that moves.

Actually, the less walls the better.

map-aedm17lg.jpg

One of my favorite maps from Q3, as long as you were playing with people that sucked at the game too. Playing that map with pros was a nightmare, fucking railguns everywhere.

But yeah, if Cliffy is making an arena shooter, PLEASE KEEP IT EXCLUSIVE TO PC. We don't want the game to be slowed down because they have to work around the limitations of a gamepad.

Cynar

I really hope we get something good out of this. We really need a good arena shooter. I also hope that CliffyB has checked his attitude now that he has a job again.

Spazznid

NO!

No no no no no no no no no.

You can't do this to me Cliffy, you just can't.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

YES!

DrPreston

PC exclusive. In this context, I can emphatically say fuck gamepads and the various compromises they require. They have their place, but it is not here.

Even arena staples like Quake 3 Arena got console ports. I don't care if those exist or not, as long as the game itself isn't compromised to maintain parity with the eventual console releases. There's a difference between a console game ported up to the PC (Call of Duty MW2) and a PC game down-ported to consoles (Quake III Arena and its Dreamcast, PS2 and XBLA versions).

Grayman

I think that enough time has passed. We've done tons of pseudo-realistic loadout-based shooters, and gone through things like freemium shooters and Quake 3 Live that I'm sure there are some interesting lessons to take away.

Then again, I'm an old crazy person who wants someone just remake Action Quake 2 with modern tech. So there's that.
It is a shame that specific mix of mechanics doesn't exist. In some areas it is very far into the realism side of the sliding scale between that and fantasy(fire modes on guns, bandaging, limping, bleed damage) but in other ways it is more arcadey than cs.

>:)

Unreal Tournament + UT2K4 + Blender, is all this game needs to be. Make this a reality and all past sins will be forgiven. :)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
before you snap at those voicing their dismay, spare a moment for all those fans of cinematic, set-piece driven console-orientated shooters who are crumbling under the weight of disappointment at this news.

truly, has there ever been a fanbase so unjustly neglected?

Jaeger

Prepare for big linebackers, with brown and green armor, shooting each other in a war torn NEO EARTH, after Bugs/Aliens/Alien-Bugs ravaged the land!

mclem

Disappointing. I'd hoped he'd perhaps be looking into exploring some other genre after spending so long mired in shooters, but apparently not. That said, there's a possibility that the description is misleading... or the business model (my gut is screaming F2P here, but we'll see)

Top Bottom