• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton won't rule out questioning legitimacy of election

nynt9

Hillary Clinton said she wouldn’t rule out challenging the legitimacy of the 2016 presidential election if Russian interference turned out to be deeper than previously thought.

“No, I wouldn't rule it out,” she said in an interview with NPR published Monday.

The defeated Democratic nominee stressed, however, that she does not believe there is a means to officially challenge the election’s outcome.

“I don't know if there's any legal, constitutional way to do that,” Clinton said. “I think you can raise questions.”

Clinton has repeatedly blamed Russia’s efforts to intervene in last year’s election for her loss to Donald Trump, but her latest comments reflect the depth of her frustration with the Kremlin’s efforts.

A bit late, don't you think?

“Let me just put it this way, if I had lost the popular vote but won the electoral college and in my first day as president the intelligence community came to me and said, ‘The Russians influenced the election,’ I would've never stood for it,” she said. “Even though it might've advantaged me, I would've said, ‘We've got to get to the bottom of this.’”

Impeach me if old

What's the story here? That she's open to questioning the legitimacy of 2016 election if Mueller's team proved that there was collusion involved? That BITCH!

The Electoral College overturning a sizable popular vote victory makes it illegitimate by any modern democratic standard.

Russia doesn't even need to enter the conversation. Our presidential election system is inherently illegitimate.

Assuming Russia hacked actually vote counts (we don't think that yet as far as I know), wouldn't most people question legitimacy?

Davide

But how?

The country is in dark territory.
To a dark place this line of thought will carry us.

yodahologram.jpeg

Africanus

The Electoral College overturning a sizable popular vote victory makes it illegitimate by any modern democratic standard.

Russia doesn't even need to enter the conversation. Our presidential election system is inherently illegitimate.

B-but my small state supremacy!
This is the unfortunate truth we live with.

Either way, I don't think anyone should rule out questioning the legitimacy.
When the truth comes out, she'll be better for questioning it.

nynt9

Yeah, I'd argue along these lines too (though the Russia thing is very concerning as well), but a lot of people seem interested in keeping this system.

Can a new election be even called? The democratic US system is so fucking rigid.

Probably not. They just keep impeaching people until they reach someone they can't tie to Russia, so either Pence or Ryan.

Volimar

I mean, she'd have investigated but there's pretty much zero chance that she or anyone else would give up the presidency if it came to light that the meddling cost the rightful person from winning.

This sounds like one of those things that practically speaking is pretty much an impossibility (questioning the legitimacy of the election) but nonetheless some will grab on to and hope for as a means to get Republicans out of power.

Can a new election be even called? The democratic US system is so fucking rigid.

Well...Kenya's election commission voided their election results because of evidence of vote tampering, and are holding fresh elections. I don't see why we can't do the same.

nynt9

Well...Kenya's election commission voided their election results because of evidence of vote tampering, and are holding fresh elections. I don't see why we can't do the same.

I don't think the Republicans would give it up. The line of succession means their team will still stay in charge.

Planx

Because the Constitution has a lot of very specific things about elections and none of those things say anything about a redo. At best the SCOTUS would say "yeah, those results are screwy, give it to the House of Representatives"

and that's not really a different outcome

Because the Constitution has a lot of very specific things about elections and none of those things say anything about a redo. At best the SCOTUS would say "yeah, those results are screwy, give it to the House of Representatives"

and that's not really a different outcome

Well, the House GOP is also illegitimate since the Russian interference favored their elections. The shit runs all the way down. The entire party was the benefactor of Russian interference. Giving the reigns to Paul Ryan is simply changing hands, as far as Russian success is concerned.

MIMIC

Banned
This really isn't any different than the situation now. She's not talking about a "legal" challenge, but more of a asterisk sort of thing.

For tennis GAF:
like Federe's slams from 2004-2007 =p

I don’t see why she shouldn’t question the legitimacy after more and more information comes out about how deep the Russians had penetrated this democratic system of this country

Planx

Well, the House GOP is also illegitimate since the Russian interference favored their elections. The shit runs all the way down. The entire party was the benefactor of Russian interference. Giving the reigns to Paul Ryan is simply changing hands, as far as Russian success is concerned.

Yes, but the Constitution isn't set up to deal with this kind of situation

Yeah, I'd argue along these lines too (though the Russia thing is very concerning as well), but a lot of people seem interested in keeping this system.

They're mostly Republican, since the system favors them more. It's a really really flawed system though, and those who actually defend usually can't up with a convincing argument for why it still should be around.

nynt9

To convince the people of that you'd have to show evidence of foul play during the midterms, probably. America is the land of "it's not technically super illegal so it's ok" for republicans.

Yep.
The situation we're in is well and truly fucked.

Expect Russia to involve themselves even further in every future election.

Not

Banned
Good, because it wasn't a legitimate election, and Donald Trump is a fake President.

Historians will argue over who should be called the real 45th President.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Too late, please go away already Hillary.

Fuck off. If the election was stolen (and it probably was), there's going to have to be unprecedented action taken to 1) make sure it doesn't happen again, and 2) figure out what to do about what's happened since then (i.e. executive orders and legislation passed). We can't just let this go and hand wave Hillary because she's an uncharismatic excuse of a politician.

It's too late to change what happened. Regardless of propaganda or "fake news", America voted. Clinton lost in the system set up at the time and I think trying to claim "it was rigged" is a terrible approach. Let's learn our lesson and vote in higher numbers on the democratic side (I don't want to argue about center vs left). She needs to stop talking like this and let the party and the country deal and figure this out without her.

Monocle

It's too late to change what happened. Regardless of propaganda or "fake news", America voted. Clinton lost in the system set up at the time and I think trying to claim "it was rigged" is a terrible approach. Let's learn our lesson and vote in higher numbers on the democratic side (I don't want to argue about center vs left). She needs to stop talking like this and let the party and the country deal and figure this out without her.
Voter suppression and foreign interference are no big deal.

Another shit post from someone not reading the OP.

At this point just give up and spend the focus on ousting them in 2018 and 2020.

And another one!

Do people not understand the meaning of "if"

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Good, because it wasn't a legitimate election, and Donald Trump is a fake President.

Historians will argue over who should be called the real 45th President.

it is and will always be Trump

you should be more concerned with who will be the 46th

Knoxcore

That's all fine and dandy, but watching how CNN covered the story made it so evident Clinton had no shot at winning.

CDX

If Russian interference turned out to be deeper than previously thought AKA actual vote tampering.

So far we have no evidence to show that happened yet. But if proof came to light it happened. Then YEAH, I think EVERYBODY would be questioning the legitimacy of the election.

And she's also right again that there is no legal, or constitutional remedy to an illegitimate US election.

Another shit post from someone not reading the OP.

And another one!

Do people not understand the meaning of "if"
How is what I said a shit post and not comments of "good it was illegitimate and Donald Trump is a fake president"? Don't get me wrong I hate the guy, but my comment of moving on, accepting the results, and learning from them is far from "shit posting" comparatively.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There's no precedent for a do-over, but we've never been in this situation before either.

If Mueller finds evidence of mass fraud or vote packing she should absolutely contest.

Top Bottom