• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton won't rule out questioning legitimacy of election

She's already stated that a factor in her loss was Russian meddling, so how exactly has she not yet questioned the legitimacy of the election at this point??

Hillary:. "I haven't ruled out doing what I'm already doing"

???

The Electoral College overturning a sizable popular vote victory makes it illegitimate by any modern democratic standard.

Russia doesn't even need to enter the conversation. Our presidential election system is inherently illegitimate.
Yeah, the fact that Hillary had more faithless electors than Trump shows how unfit your electoral college is for its apparent purpose.

Fuck off. If the election was stolen (and it probably was), there's going to have to be unprecedented action taken to 1) make sure it doesn't happen again, and 2) figure out what to do about what's happened since then (i.e. executive orders and legislation passed). We can't just let this go and hand wave Hillary because she's an uncharismatic excuse of a politician.

Lovely language there. Please define "stolen". Was there voter buying, altering of results, dead people voting, vote boxes being opened and refilled with only Trump votes? I'm from Mexico and trust me what you saw in your election was no way near the definition of "fraudulent", it's more the result of your archaic system called the Electoral College.

How is what I said a shit post and not comments of "good it was illegitimate and Donald Trump is a fake president"? Don't get me wrong I hate the guy, but my comment of moving on, accepting the results, and learning from them is far from "shit posting" comparatively.

Because she's not challenging anything, currently. The article clearly states "if" tampering was more widespread than we currently know.

I've read the beginning of her book, the peaceful transfer of power tradition is really important to her so that's why she didn't contest the election results when it happened.

More importantly, the interview here is Clinton simply stressing that the foreign interference and fake news pouring in that contributed to her loss must be dealt with before future elections. That was her main point in the interview idk why the headline is about her contesting the result. She emphasizes that the integrity of future elections is paramount, not particularly the election she was a candidate of (unless more info comes to light).

There's no precedent for a do-over, but we've never been in this situation before either.

If Mueller finds evidence of mass fraud or vote packing she should absolutely contest.

It shouldn't be a do-over, it should be a disqualification. Major candidates of your party conspired with a foreign power to lock down the most powerful elected leadership position in the United States. We don't take it away just to give it right back.

Then it gets even weirder: Does every execute order get cancelled? What about the departments that were already shut down by Trump appointees? Some can be reinstated, but others could take years to spin back up. Meanwhile, resources and data have been maliciously destroyed. Is that a criminal act, if those people shouldn't have been appointed in the first place?

Everything about this is fucked up. The rules set in place did not account for someone this corrupt and shameless seizing power by preying on irrational fears and with foreign assistance. We're going to have to rewrite the rulebook after this.

danm999

Can the rigidity of the US Constitution and Congressional gridlock even handle what would happen if the validity of the election was called into question?

Assuming Russia hacked actually vote counts (we don't think that yet as far as I know), wouldn't most people question legitimacy?

Nah, would be like 40% question it, 35% screaming fake news and 25% saying they don't know but they do know that both sides are to blame.

Lovely language there. Please define "stolen". Was there voter buying, altering of results, dead people voting, vote boxes being opened and refilled with only Trump votes? I'm from Mexico and trust me what you saw in your election was no way near the definition of "fraudulent", it's more the result of your archaic system called the Electoral College.
You're not really in any position to tone police, doll.

Assuming Russia hacked actually vote counts (we don't think that yet as far as I know), wouldn't most people question legitimacy?
We don't know if they directly altered the results but we do know that they tampered with the voter roles in key counties in swing states.

The election was stolen from Clinton. She is the rightful President, Trump is illegitimate.

Couldn't they do something like, say, have a national election for a rep, make them the new speaker of the house, impeach everyone above, then let that person take office and out the original speaker back?

Hypothetically to do something within the election I mean. I know the current elected officials would never do it.

Ottaro

Hillary Clinton said she wouldn’t rule out challenging the legitimacy of the 2016 presidential election if Russian interference turned out to be deeper than previously thought.

“No, I wouldn't rule it out,” she said in an interview with NPR published Monday.

Nothing really shocking, or even interesting, about that statement...

"If water was wet, would you rule out the possibility that water is wet?"

pigeon

Banned
Couldn't they do something like, say, have a national election for a rep, make them the new speaker of the house, impeach everyone above, then let that person take office and out the original speaker back?

Hypothetically to do something within the election I mean. I know the current elected officials would never do it.

The Speaker doesn't have to be a Representative, so you can save a step.

Chumly

Seriously what is wrong with people like you?

God forbid we discuss meddling in a United States election. Who gives a shit if it wasn't as corrupt as Mexico or a place like Venezuela

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Well, this is the end game for Dems with the Russia probe anyway assuming Mueller finds something. It's just awkward or feels wrong to say that right now. We only have people like Maxine Waters and some other Dems openly saying 'impeachment' and 'illegitimate' etc right now, expect way more after the results of the probe. We might even see massive impeachment rallies.

It's sort of darkly humorous how this all went down. Everyone was in a big brouhaha because Trump had said he might not accept it if Hillary won, etc , and here we are hoping for the opposite.

Fight the good fight Hillary, you weren't my first choice, but I was in your camp all the same.

This country and its people are not prepared for a situation such as this. if it comes down to it and there is legitimate 1 to 1 proof that Russia stole (like hacked actual voting machines) the election for Trump, i'm convinced that whatever reaction to that fact will be underwhelming or just a fuck up.

Republicans will still have the white house and the SCOTUS (which would be 2nd way it was stolen) and this country will carry on like normal. there will still be shady congressmen being complacent to future Russian interference.

im a pessimist, if you can't tell

edit: Basically, if Russia/Trump stole the election, then the Republicans shouldn't deverse to keep the white house, period. And Gorsuch shouldn't be able to keep his seat ffs but he will either way

Pixieking

Banned
At this point just give up and spend the focus on ousting them in 2018 and 2020.

Not questioning the legitimacy if it proves that a foreign power swayed the result is the worst precedent you can set. It literally says to other foreign powers that it's okay to sway the result, and the Constitution actually recognises the danger in something like this, with the Emoluments Clause:

Also known as the Emoluments Clause, it was designed to shield the republican character of the United States against so-called "corrupting foreign influences"

No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state.

The only difference is where this influence happens in the stack (Magic terminology! :p )

Russian influence determines how voters vote.
Emoluments Clause ensures the President can't be bribed.

Both are areas where foreign powers and influence should be made to feel unwelcome.

I like Hillary, but in the event of a Trump impeachment, a subsequent Clinton presidency would literally BREAK the country, such was the success of the Russia/Trump hitjob on her.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
If this shit gets overturned, I know I'll feel better about my protest vote

/s

All Americans should be concerned about the integrity of our election process, but sadly even the truth is partisan these days

WillyFive

I like Hillary, but in the event of a Trump impeachment, a subsequent Clinton presidency would literally BREAK the country, such was the success of the Russia/Trump hitjob on her.

Yeah, any support for this will not be on getting Clinton to the White House, but rather starting a new election where neither Trump or Clinton are on the ticket.

Obviously because one will be in jail and the other because no one would ever campaign or vote for her anymore.

If this shit gets overturned, I know I'll feel better about my protest vote

/s

All Americans should be concerned about the integrity of our election process, but sadly even the truth is partisan these days

yep.
people are already practicing their *shrug* if/when this all turns out to be true. Our Democracy was attacked by a foreign adversary and Dump supporters weather have their puppet as president than a loyal, highly-qualified Democrat

Herne

I'm currently reading her book. America has so many damn problems with basic human decency, never mind everything that follows it, that I get depressed whenever a thread like that fireman guy saying he'd save one dog over a million black people crops up. It gets to me and I'm not even American or located anywhere near there. I know a lot of people don't like her but I find what she's written fairly inspiring to be honest. Having to deal with not only the loss but the loss to him of all people would've knocked the wind out of anybody's sails, but she believes there's no point moping around doing nothing when there's a lot of things need fixing.

Kudos. I really hope something does topple the right-wing agenda (only in America, of all the developed countries in the West, would the Republicans and their supporters be called "right-wing") and Trump is the first to fall. Please let Mueller find something that brings him down.

Top Bottom