• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNBC: Nearly $2 billion has been wiped off bitcoin’s value in three days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Just under $2 billion has been wiped off the value of bitcoin (Exchange: BTC=-USS) in under three days as a fight over the future of the technology underpinning the cryptocurrency wages on.

Bitcoin was trading at around $1,142.60 at time of publication, giving it a market cap of $18.53 billion, according to CoinDesk data. This is down from highs of $1,255.32 on Tuesday, which valued the total bitcoin pile at $20.36 billion.

Meanwhile, rival cryptocurrency ether is up over 84 percent from highs of $29.87 on Tuesday to trading at all-time highs of around $55 on Friday, according to Coinmarketcap.com. The market captilization shot from $2.68 billion to $4.95 billion. It is the only other cryptocurrency to be valued at over $1 billion.

Much of the inverse price movement stems from traders' worries over the future of bitcoin and the underpinning blockchain technology.

The real concern is if Bitcoin Unlimited gains major support, it could have an impact on the underlying blockchain technology that supports bitcoin. Bitcoin Unlimited has about an 11 percent market share of all the "nodes" in existence. Nodes are the backbone of bitcoin's infrastructure and refer to those mining the transactions as well as those tracking the movement of bitcoin to make sure it is all working correctly.

Nodes can run Blockchain Unlimited software which would signal their support for increasing the block size. If 50 percent of bitcoin miners adopted Bitcoin Unlimited, there would then be two major blockchains and a "fork" would be created made of Bitcoin Core, the current main software behind the infrastructure, and Bitcoin Unlimited.

Both blockchains would continue to run as long as there are nodes running them. But there would then be essentially two different coins – Bitcoin and Bitcoin Unlimited.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nearly-2-billion-wiped-off-121914544.html

Crayons

Banned
But that's only like a 10% drop in value. Bitcoin has dropped much lower. Article kind of sensationalizes it. BTC goes up and down.

Tripon

But that's only like a 10% drop in value. Bitcoin has dropped much lower. Article kind of sensationalizes it. BTC goes up and down.

This isn't just market fluctuation, the drop this time is because of a fundamental way bitcoins are being verified now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What a Joke currency. Just imagine this would happen to a currency that you can touch.

But I cant wait to get educated why this is ok.

Crayons

Banned
What a Joke currency. Just imagine this would happen to a currency that you can touch.

But I cant wait to get educated why this is ok.

Using+banknotes+as+wallpaper+during+hyperinflation,+Germany,+1923.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Please don't get snappy with me just because you never learned history in high school thanks

I had history lessons, that you can be sure of, thats why I consider a value-loss of 2 billion dollar in three days as something that shows that the currency is very broken.

I am not even sure if you are the right person for this discussion, my post was sarcastic because usually when news like that about Bitcoin come up, there are people who say that that big variations of the value in such a short timespan is nothing to worry about. I can be wrong but I have no memory of a decrease of 2 billion dollar in the value of a real currency in the last few decades. I can be wrong, since I am not that much into economics and finances. I am pretty much aware that this could happen to any currency. But then no people in internet boards jumps in to defend it.
Every few months I see news regarding big variations in the Bitcoin value. Like I said, I am not that much into economics and finances but I know enough to recognize that this is not healthy.

Has anyone come up with a solution to the liquidity problem with Bitcoin - or any Cryptocurrency? Considering how valuable it is as a commodity and how volatile it is, what is motivating people from using it as a medium of exchange? Seems like its in your best interest to just buy and hold onto it until you wanna sell it again.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, I have to ask. What's the appeal of bitcoin? Why would anyone buy it?

Goo

I had history lessons, that you can be sure of, thats why I consider a value-loss of 2 billion dollar in three days as something that shows that the currency is very broken.

I am not even sure if you are the right person for this discussion, my post was sarcastic because usually when news like that about Bitcoin come up, there are people who say that that big variations of the value in such a short timespan is nothing to worry about. I can be wrong but I have no memory of a decrease of 2 billion dollar in the value of a real currency in the last few decades. I can be wrong, since I am not that much into economics and finances. I am pretty much aware that this could happen to any currency. But then no people in internet boards jumps in to defend it.
Every few months I see news regarding big variations in the Bitcoin value. Like I said, I am not that much into economics and finances but I know enough to recognize that this is not healthy.

The 2 billion loss is so massive because it's been valued 1200 times the US dollar. There aren't many things or any other currencies tagged with such a high price.

I don't know how bitcoin can be made less volitile; I'm not sure it could be regulated in it's current state.

SRG01

The 2 billion loss is so massive because it's been valued 1200 times the US dollar. There aren't many things or any other currencies tagged with such a high price.

I don't know how bitcoin can be made less volitile; I'm not sure it could be regulated in it's current state.

Bitcoin can't be less volatile because it trades more like a speculated commodity regardless of its structure and generation.

Far as I can tell, it's more of a commodity than a medium of exchange. People buy and hold it thinking it will go up in value.

There are lots of merchants that accept it but with how valuable a single bitcoin and how much it fluctuates in pricing, the only reason to use it as a medium of exchange is because you believe the relative price of bitcoin to fiat currency is going to collapse soon so your getting items now for what you think is a major discount. Either that or you were one of the early adopters of Bitcoin and you're playing with house money.

So this is actually the best article I've found about bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general. It's a long, but very good read explaining the technology and its history (drama, etc) up to 2016.

Demand is driven by:

-Technology reasons: People who are interested in a decentralized means of exchange or decentralized databases (blockchains)
-Ideological reasons: Libertarian-leaning types, gold bugs etc who are interested in its potential ramifications for banking
-People who want to buy other cryptocurrencies (for the longest time, BTC was the only thing you could buy with cash/card, and you can trade BTC for other things)
-Victims of ransomware. There are many examples of this but Cryptolocker was probably the first.
-Tech savvy drug users - of all the stories around bitcoin, I think this is the most interesting one
-People who day trade it BTC vs fiat currency (USD, etc) to try to get rich - led to disasters like MtGox
-People who live in countries with capital controls
-Online gambling
etc etc

You can use it to buy things online too - for instance, you can buy Amazon gift cards with bitcoin at places like Gyft.

I've never really understood the mechanics of bitcoin mining. If it's all digital, why isn't it possible for someone to hack the process and give themselves extra bitcoins? Given it doesn't have all the checks and balances of our banking system where such discrepancies would be caught.

Also, I saw a dude leaving a gas station the other day super disappointed that the fact that the store accepted bitcoin didn't mean he could sell his bitcoins.

SRG01

Far as I can tell, it's more of a commodity than a medium of exchange. People buy and hold it thinking it will go up in value.

There are lots of merchants that accept it but with how valuable a single bitcoin and how much it fluctuates in pricing, the only reason to use it as a medium of exchange is because you believe the relative price of bitcoin to fiat currency is going to collapse soon so your getting items now for what you think is a major discount. Either that or you were one of the early adopters of Bitcoin and you're playing with house money.

To add on this, the bitcoin system is skewed against current adopters because the theoretical cost of each bitcoin generation -- and thus value -- increases over time.

Ironically, this has the unintentional side effect of putting downwards pressure onto the use of bitcoin because no one would want to ever spend it.

pompidu

Didn't this just happen to the pound, like over-night after the Brexit vote?

But there is a government that controls the money flow so they can impose fiscal policies on money. We want to avoid Brexit type situations from happening constantly, which you cannot avoid with Bitcoin.

louiedog

I got $20 in free bitcoin which is now worth about $50-$60. I guess as long as I do something with it before it becomes worth $0 I've done okay.

To add on this, the bitcoin system is skewed against current adopters because the theoretical cost of each bitcoin generation -- and thus value -- increases over time.

Ironically, this has the unintentional side effect of putting downwards pressure onto the use of bitcoin because no one would want to ever spend it.

Yep. I could have gotten $20 worth of free stuff. I waited and can now get $50 worth of stuff. Maybe if I keep waiting I can get $200 worth of free stuff. But if the whole thing collapses I won't feel too bad about missing out because I didn't actually buy in.

Crayons

Banned
It's the other way around here.

Yes, I posted examples of hyperinflation that I thought would be easily recognizeable, but hyperdeflation has definitely occurred, even in the past 20 years (i.e. Japanese deflation during the 1990s) . Any currency can be vulnerable to either. It's not exclusively a bitcoin thing.

I feel out of touch. This thread is the first I've heard of Ethereum, which sounds really interesting, but I don't know what community or news feed I should have been following to have heard of it, except to have a preexisting interest in blockchain-related tech.

Persona7

Banned
Someone I know on another forum bought bitcoin and had their bank account closed and analyzed by finance investigators.

BasicMath

I wonder if they covered the last climb it had. Same thing happened but in reverse. Because it seems that the media's way of doing bitcoin news is: Cover the dip, ignore the climb.

Someone I know on another forum bought bitcoin and had their bank account closed and analyzed by finance investigators.

Bitcoin is illegal in the states so you have to be extra careful buying it and have to do your research

I wonder if they covered the last climb it had. Same thing happened but in reverse. Because it seems that the media's way of doing bitcoin news is: Cover the dip, ignore the climb.

I saw an article covering the rise of bitcoin over the last couple months so you have nothing to worry about

CrunchyB

I've been following bitcoin for a few years, I even own some!

This dip wiped out the significant gains made the last few weeks. We're back at the start of February now. Bitcoin's volatility has been decreasing this past few years, but this is still a big shock.

The reason this is happening is the threat of hard fork. Two camps have formed and they want different things, this could split bitcoin in two, theoretically. It's a real mess and one of the risks when you don't have a central authority. This has always been both the strength and the weakness of this project.

A large chunk of bitcoin's price was created by speculation, but it DOES have some real merits. It is a hedge against inflation (if it's still around in x*10 years), it is accepted by many people across the globe and it neatly circumvents both banks and governments. In fact, the cryptography used guarantees absolutely nobody can touch your assets unless you share your private keys. So it's not like gold, it's not like foreign currency, it's not penny stocks, it's its own thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom