• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNBC: Nearly $2 billion has been wiped off bitcoin’s value in three days

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcf x2

The lesson here, is put a couple hundred in etherium. The chances of you loosing money are very low.

Except somebody on the previous page said there's no way to acquire it without putting yourself at risk for hacking, which seems not too smart considering these are entirely digital currencies.

I bought some Bitcoin for the first time earlier this year to deposit into a sports betting website for the Super Bowl. When I withdrew it back into Bitcoin it was worth around $130, now its down to about $90. I need it to go back up a few bucks so I can afford a B350 motherboard for a future Ryzen PC.

x3sphere

Except somebody on the previous page said there's no way to acquire it without putting yourself at risk for hacking, which seems not too smart considering these are entirely digital currencies.

Don't know what he's talking about. The process of buying Eth is no different than BTC

Anyway Eth is already up around 500% compared to a few months ago. Could go up more but sort of risky buying after such a huge rise - I'd wait it out a bit

kyser73

Not easily with USD. It involves a work-around that makes your account susceptible to the risk of hacking.

What? How? You place your Ether order with your 1 time wallet address, pay for it at, Ether is transferred to your wallet.

Bitcoin is illegal in the states so you have to be extra careful buying it and have to do your research

I saw an article covering the rise of bitcoin over the last couple months so you have nothing to worry about

What x2.

Where do people get this stuff from?

A lot of people ITT need to learn more about how money works, too.

KingV

I had history lessons, that you can be sure of, thats why I consider a value-loss of 2 billion dollar in three days as something that shows that the currency is very broken.

I am not even sure if you are the right person for this discussion, my post was sarcastic because usually when news like that about Bitcoin come up, there are people who say that that big variations of the value in such a short timespan is nothing to worry about. I can be wrong but I have no memory of a decrease of 2 billion dollar in the value of a real currency in the last few decades. I can be wrong, since I am not that much into economics and finances. I am pretty much aware that this could happen to any currency. But then no people in internet boards jumps in to defend it.
Every few months I see news regarding big variations in the Bitcoin value. Like I said, I am not that much into economics and finances but I know enough to recognize that this is not healthy.

There's probably bigger fluctuations in real currency all the time, because their monetary base is much bigger. The USD has appreciated like 20% vs the yen in like a year.

That said, I think the fundamentals of bitcoin are very broken. It's effectively tulip futures, that only have value because other people have convinced themselves it has value. It has no innate value.

BraXzy

Someone i know at work owns a few whole Bitcoins. They've been riding the various waves over the years going long term. I can't imagine it'll last?

Someone i know at work owns a few whole Bitcoins. They've been riding the various waves over the years going long term. I can't imagine it'll last?

As an investment? No. That isn't the goal of Bitcoin though, it's meant to be a medium of exchange. There are merchants - Newegg comes to mind, that accept bitcoin. The problem with Bitcoin is that like I said earlier, people are not as willing to spend it as normal currency. In the last six months, the value of Bitcoin vs the US Dollar has gone up 76%. Say you spent $1000 worth of bitcoin on a new computer back in September - that is now worth $1760. It also works in reverse, let's say your Newegg and you decided to sell someone a computer yesterday for $1000 worth of Bitcoin. Today, that transaction is worth 20% less. Those huge swings are not signs of a stable currency. You want a currency that fluctuates +/-3% at most over a week or two. Since it fluctuates so much, it doesn't make any sense to use it like a normal currency. $1000 today can be $1400 tomorrow and $900 the day after. What ends up happening is people buy bitcoin and horde it instead hoping to unload it later.

That's the problem with cryptocurrencies right now and I've yet to see a compelling argument besides "Wait, one day it will happen" that they will become something other than a vehicle for investment.

No coiners on suicide watch.

It's pretty crazy. I'd have loved to been one of the first miners for some of these currencies. I'd still be bag holding most of them though.

SRG01

There's probably bigger fluctuations in real currency all the time, because their monetary base is much bigger. The USD has appreciated like 20% vs the yen in like a year.

That said, I think the fundamentals of bitcoin are very broken. It's effectively tulip futures, that only have value because other people have convinced themselves it has value. It has no innate value.

To be fair though, the USD appreciation versus the Yen was completely from the Japanese side and was a deliberate, controlled devaluation.

nampad

I guess there are some blockchain enthusiasts here. I want to read up on the technology as well as recent and future developments of the technology for work. Can anyone recommend me some sites to read up on all this?

An even larger drop, percentage wise happened to the British pound during the Brexit.

Dollar wise it was much larger than this.

See below

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=1Y
I think the point he was trying to make is that everyone realized it was a big deal when it happened to the British Pound. It was a sign of instability and viewed as a very bad thing.

That's not the case for Bitcoin where such drops seem common because it's inherently unstable.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think the point he was trying to make is that everyone realized it was a big deal when it happened to the British Pound. It was a sign of instability and viewed as a very bad thing.

That's not the case for Bitcoin where such drops seem common because it's inherently unstable.
Exactly. The people who went out and said that this is ok were called out.

av2k

Ethereum is the more interesting technology right now. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

Holy crap, I didn't think Ethereum would be the first post mentioned in a Bitcoin thread on a video game forum.. they truly are becoming more mainstream. O_O

In case anyone is curious of what Ethereum is, it's basically Bitcoin's underlying idea of a universal ledger... applied to everything. This is so big that massive companies like JPMorgan and Microsoft have created an entity called the Ethereum alliance to back this technology and it's development.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/...-alliance-business-banking-security.html?_r=0

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Holy crap, I didn't think Ethereum would be the first post mentioned in a Bitcoin thread on a video game forum.. they truly are becoming more mainstream. O_O

In case anyone is curious of what Ethereum is, it's basically Bitcoin's underlying idea of a universal ledger... applied to everything. This is so big that massive companies like JPMorgan and Microsoft has created the Ethereum alliance to back this technology.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/...-alliance-business-banking-security.html?_r=0

Ahh, good to hear. This idea's been circulating around for a while. I even made a thread about such an idea last year.

av2k

Ahh, good to hear. This idea's been circulating around for a while. I even made a thread about such an idea last year.

Oh nice! Mind if you link the thread?

As for this idea, it's pretty insane so far. Ethereum went from 10$ to 55$ within a month and now settling back at 40$. Bitcoin's problems are it's in fighting because the tech needs to be updated to accommodate increasing popularity.

CrunchyB

I guess there are some blockchain enthusiasts here. I want to read up on the technology as well as recent and future developments of the technology for work. Can anyone recommend me some sites to read up on all this?

You could start with bitcoin.org and bitcointalk.org

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Oh nice! Mind if you link the thread?

As for this idea, it's pretty insane so far. Ethereum went from 10$ to 55$ within a month and now settling back at 40$. Bitcoin's problems are it's in fighting because the tech needs to be updated to accommodate increasing popularity.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1317429

Just based on your short description it seems like we have the same thing (or similar) in mind.

clem84

Gold Member
Those thinking about investing their hard earned money. Crypto-currencies are extremely volatile. Dramatic gains and/or losses in a short amount of time. Heavily reliant on technology and the mood swings of the investors, which I guess isn't that different than the stock market. As always, do a bit of research before investing and don't invest stuff you can't afford to lose.

av2k

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1317429

Just based on your short description it seems like we have the same thing (or similar) in mind.

I can totally see where you're going with the preservation of truths via blockchain. The only issue is that the opposite is also true, the preservation of lies. Because blockchain is uncensorable and nearly impossible to stop because of decentralization (think of Torrents but for data), harmful ideas are also unfortunately preserved. There's ways to stop these but it requires an enormous amount of consensus to fork that specific blockchain into one that omits the harmful data.

Those thinking about investing their hard earned money. Crypto-currencies are extremely volatile. Dramatic gains and/or losses in a short amount of time. Heavily reliant on technology and the mood swings of the investors, which I guess isn't that different than the stock market. As always, do a bit of research before investing and don't invest stuff you can't afford to lose.

Yes, please take this advice seriously. Do your research and only invest what you can afford to lose. When Bitcoin had crashed, many people have had their life savings wiped out and they even stickied a suicide hotline post on message boards to prevent people from hurting themselves.

ZanDatsu

how do I buy etherum

https://www.coinbase.com

Do some research on it first, only buy in if you really believe in the potential it holds and see it as somewhat of a long term investment. The price has shot through the roof in the last month or so, and it's now seemingly going through a correction, but this is still early days and there's a lot more coming down the pipeline for Ethereum. Bitcoin is in a tough spot right now as the community is divided over a potential hard-fork that could lead to a lot of confusion and tank the price, which it already has to some extent. There are other currencies besides these that are doing quite well from the fallout of Bitcoin, but long term Ethereum does seem very promising. There are no guarantees with this stuff though, so again I'd advise caution and doing some research before jumping in. I regret waiting as long as I did personally, a single day delay in a bank transfer prevented me from a gain of almost $20000.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
av2k:

See my further posts in the thread I linked, such as #21 and #18.

Unfortunately don't have time for an extended conversation now but if you leave your thoughts I'll get back to them later today or tomorrow.

The value of real currencies are backed up by taxes. Cryptocurrency is fundamentally daft because there's no control on how low the value can fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom