• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN amends GOP debate criteria, possibly opening the door for Carly Fiorina to join

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

CNN is amending the criteria for its Republican presidential debate on September 16, possibly opening the door for Carly Fiorina to join the other top-tier candidates on the stage.

The cause: a lack of national public polling following the August 6 debate has so far provided only three new polls to determine the lineup for the Reagan Presidential Debate, according to a CNN statement.

As a result, CNN reevaluated its criteria and decided to add a provision that better reflects the state of the race since the first Republican presidential debate in August, the network announced Tuesday.

Now, any candidate who ranks in the top 10 in polling between August 6 and September 10 will be included.

The adjustment may result in additional candidates joining the top-tier debate, but the final podium placements will not be known until the eligibility window closes on September 10.
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/01/politics/cnn-debate-criteria-amendment/index.html

Update:
According to a POLITICO calculation, in the three polls conducted since the first debate on Aug. 6, Fiorina is in seventh place, with an average of 5 percent.

CNN says they expect just two additional national polls will be released between now and the Sept. 10 deadline, making it difficult for Fiorina to fall out of the additional, post-debate top 10. (If Fiorina was at only 2 percent in the two forthcoming polls, she would still be in ninth place in this subsequent average.)
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/cnn-changes-debate-criteria-clearing-path-for-fiorina-213237

sangreal

The rule they were using to exclude fiorina (relying on polls pre-first-debate) was dumb, but they're just going to expand to more than 10? or am I reading that wrong? would be even more dumb

Do republicans actually like Fiorina? Her qualifications are being a horrible CEO and that's basically it.

aside from being a terrible business woman, she allegedly did well in the first kids-table debate -- or so the media tells us, since nobody watched it

I might get frustrated enough at the stupidity to punch someone so, maybe ...

I'm not sure we have enough data to determine if punching a fellow republican candidate in the live debate would lose you the debate. I mean imagine if that kind of thinking was to translate into your foreign policy.

"President FenderPutty: He's even willing to attack his allies to keep America safe!!!!"

sangreal

Every modern President creates a library for official things after they leave office....

Yes, but the debate is indeed being held there because the GOP reveres him

despite his terrible legacy as president, mind you

Regardless of what you think of him, it is funny that they can't move on after 30 years

Regardless of what you think of him, it is funny that they can't move on after 30 years

Oh, I loathe the "Ketchup is a Vegetable" Actor in Chief. Dude was a dick, and probably suffering from mental deterioration during his second term. Plus, dude was a poster child for illegal activity, but whatever. The way he handled the AIDS epidemic was repulsive.

I think the reason they host debates there frequently is because it's the largest Presidential library. They actually have room for a debate. I'm not sure Ws or HWs has the room for it. NOt that they'd want to be associated with either Bush.

That, and they generally believe he was the greatest Preisdent in history, who never raised taxes (he did) and who single handedly defeated communism with an American flag, bald eagle and a Bible.

I will give him the fact that he was charismatic as hell, though.

I'm not sure we have enough data to determine if punching a fellow republican candidate in the live debate would lose you the debate. I mean imagine if that kind of thinking was to translate into your foreign policy.

"President FenderPutty: He's even willing to attack his allies to keep America safe!!!!"

I'm pretty sure Trump could punch Jeb in the face and probably gain from it.

I mean...maybe it's the only presidential library that could accommodate them? Or the other ones were booked for other events?

But yeah sure LMAO FUCKIN REAGAN

Worst case scenario - Trump wins the nomination and taps her for his VP.

If she accepted, it would basically negate all of the sexism he's been practicing and grant him the undecided (or offended) woman voters.

Depends on how willing she is to basically ignore all of his horrible comments about women.

Slacker

Changing the rules as you go, especially when the changes will specifically impact only one candidate, is pretty damn shady. But Fiorina in the debates will get people talking, and get better ratings. Democracy be damned, we gotta get paid.

I can't imagine how Santorum/Perry/the rest feel about this charade.

NeoXChaos

Oh, I loathe the "Ketchup is a Vegetable" Actor in Chief. Dude was a dick, and probably suffering from mental deterioration during his second term. Plus, dude was a poster child for illegal activity, but whatever. The way he handled the AIDS epidemic was repulsive.

I think the reason they host debates there frequently is because it's the largest Presidential library. They actually have room for a debate. I'm not sure Ws or HWs has the room for it. NOt that they'd want to be associated with either Bush.

That, and they generally believe he was the greatest Preisdent in history, who never raised taxes (he did) and who single handedly defeated communism with an American flag, bald eagle and a Bible.

I will give him the fact that he was charismatic as hell, though.

Is there a Democratic equivalent to Reagan?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Worst case scenario - Trump wins the nomination and taps her for his VP.

If she accepted, it would basically negate all of the sexism he's been practicing and grant him the undecided (or offended) woman voters.

Depends on how willing she is to basically ignore all of his horrible comments about women.

Women's health issues!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
As entertainment, these GOP debates are the best kind. But its unfortunate that it takes up a significant portion of our political process and media attention instead of real issues.

Is there a Democratic equivalent to Reagan?

No. Part of being a Democrat means you live in the reality based community. We have Presidents we really, really liked, but we also admit that they had warts. Republicans love Reagan's 11th Commandment--never attack other Republicans. Unless they're Trump.....

The closest thing I'd say we had on the Dem side was FDR. We're still realistic, though.

He won't need to. Dude can destroy her based on both of their business records alone. It's gonna be hilarious.

The fact that she has only received $13,000 in donations from her former industry says a lot...
recode-tech-graph-copy.jpg
In all fairness, though, most of their money is going to the guy who is trying to triple the H-1B visa cap.

Are they going to have the same number of people or are they going to have eleven? I thought each debate they would eliminate the lowest poll'd candidate.

And yet they didn't do this last election cycle (and in fact constantly changed the rules so that he had to meet more and more impossible criteria) for Buddy Roemer. Who deserved to be let in.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The rule they were using to exclude fiorina (relying on polls pre-first-debate) was dumb, but they're just going to expand to more than 10? or am I reading that wrong? would be even more dumb

aside from being a terrible business woman, she allegedly did well in the first kids-table debate -- or so the media tells us, since nobody watched it

Fiorina is at least not insane. Dont know how corrupt she is compared to cruz, jeb, rubio, Walker, Christie

Are they going to have the same number of people or are they going to have eleven? I thought each debate they would eliminate the lowest poll'd candidate.

It also depends on who is currently holding the immunity idol and who won the most points for their squad in that week's challenges, so we really aren't sure until CNN gives word.

antonz

No. Part of being a Democrat means you live in the reality based community. We have Presidents we really, really liked, but we also admit that they had warts. Republicans love Reagan's 11th Commandment--never attack other Republicans. Unless they're Trump.....

The closest thing I'd say we had on the Dem side was FDR. We're still realistic, though.

Oh come on. FDR and Clinton both get Reagan style treatment.

Slacker

I don't think so. Ask literally every Republican you can find running for office if they're a "Reagan Republican." I'd be floored if even one person said they weren't. Meanwhile I've never heard anyone describe themselves as a "Clinton Democrat," including Hillary Clinton.

Oh no they don't, not even close.

Clinton and FDR were both very good Presidents, but they are still (rightfully) attacked for what they did wrong. Many on the left are happy to point out some of the mistakes Clinton made while President. When's the last time you heard a GOPper talk badly about Reagan?

There may be some rose colored glasses when it comes to Clinton, but it's no where close to how the GOP treats Reagan. It's not even in the same universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom