• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: Only six GOP candidates likely to make next main debate stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna be alot angry candidates

Undercard will still go on though

Fox Business will keep the undercard and include national and early-state polling.

The criteria for the next Republican debate could shrink the debate stage to just six candidates, potentially pushing John Kasich, Carly Fiorina and Rand Paul out of the main event and into the undercard debate, POLITICO has learned.

According to debate criteria that were to be announced Tuesday, host Fox Business Network will consider both early-state and national poll results in deciding which candidates make the prime-time forum. That main debate will feature candidates who place in the top six nationally, based on an average of the five most recent national polls recognized by Fox News, or place within the top five based on an average of the five most recent Iowa or New Hampshire state polls recognized by the network.

The polls being considered must be released prior to 6 p.m. Eastern time on Monday, Jan. 11, and be conducted by major nationally and state recognized organizations that use standard methodological techniques, such as live interviewers and random digit-dial sampling techniques using both landlines and cellphones.

There's no limit on the number of candidates on the main stage. But according to POLITICO calculations based on only the national polling available as of Tuesday, the prime-time debate stage would include Donald Trump, Sen. Ted Cruz, Sen. Marco Rubio, retired neurologist Ben Carson, former Gov. Jeb Bush and Gov. Chris Christie. The early state polling wouldn't change the lineup as of Tuesday, according to POLITICO calculations of Iowa and New Hampshire polls.

To qualify for the earlier undercard debate, candidates must register at least 1 percent in one of the five most recent national polls, as recognized by Fox News.

According to polling released as of Tuesday, the undercard debate stage would include Sen. Paul, Gov. Kasich, Fiorina, former Gov. Mike Huckabee, former Sen. Rick Santorum and former Gov. George Pataki.

The networks are still struggling to accommodate the unwieldy GOP field, which has been winnowed to 13 but still represents a sprawling contest. Controversy has swirled around the lineup for multiple debates, with criteria changing twice to get Fiorina bumped up to the main event during the second debate and Paul clinging to the prime-time stage of the most recent GOP debate despite technically not having the right numbers.

The Fox Business debate will be held at the North Charleston Coliseum and Performing Arts Center in North Charleston, South Carolina.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's about time Rand got pushed off the main stage. The hosts have been finding excuse after excuse to keep in around this long.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's about time Rand got pushed off the main stage. The hosts have been finding excuse after excuse to keep in around this long.

I like having Rand there. He makes everyone else sound extremely crazy in comparison.

Tarkus

the prime-time debate stage would include Donald Trump, Sen. Ted Cruz, Sen. Marco Rubio, retired neurologist Ben Carson, former Gov. Jeb Bush and Gov. Chris Christie. The early state polling wouldn't ch
Dumb ass Politico. Carson is a neurosurgeon, not a neurologist. Big fucking difference. They've lost all credibility.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Kick Christie, keep Paul. Christie needs to go the fuck away. Well, they all do... But fuck that guy in particular right now.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Federal prosecutor 9/11 terrorists federal prosecutor

Rand Paul should get in because he is the only candidate representing the free market and other libertarian ideals. Honestly, the rest of the candidates are too similar.

Yes. Now it's just going to be a bunch of dudes who are too scared to disagree with each other and Trump occasionally making fun of another candidate's dick or something equally irrelevant.

Rand Paul should get in because he is the only candidate representing the free market and other libertarian ideals. Honestly, the rest of the candidates are too similar.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I honestly don't get why the RNC didn't internally try and broker one or two "serious" candidates rather than let 10 establishment candidates run. I mean, obviously they don't have control over non-establishment guys like Carson or Trump, but they could very well have convinced a few of these guys to not run.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why even bother with undercard debates at this point?

Erevador

I disagree with much of Rand Paul's political philosophy, but it is the only COHERENT political philosophy being espoused on a stage otherwise full of stuffed shirts.

Dennis

Banned
I like how they keep Bush in there just for the real candidates to have someone to kick around for leisure.

andthebeatgoeson

Controversy has swirled around the lineup for multiple debates, with criteria changing twice to get Fiorina bumped up to the main event during the second debate and Paul clinging to the prime-time stage of the most recent GOP debate despite technically not having the right numbers.

These under qualified affirmative action candidates are a real drag.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So the champion of the free market should get in just because, even if the republican primary market (polls) demonstrates it doesn't give a shit about him?

Seems legit.

I disagree with much of Rand Paul's political philosophy, but it is the only COHERENT political philosophy being espoused on a stage otherwise full of stuffed shirts.

I agree with Rand Paul on pretty much everything, and what you said is very true. I hate, hate, hate when Republicans say they are for liberty, but really they only mean they are for the second amendment. The average Republican is just as anti-capitalist as the average Democrat. Think about how big the government grew under W.

Rand is the only candidate with a "good" rating on the free market, according to Conservative Review: https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates

Look at Trump's ratings; he's a fucking disgrace.

Really? According to the conservative review there, he is better than Jeb, kasich, carson, christie, santorum, huckabee and fiorina. He is a theoretical 4th in the ranking of the website you posted. I think trump's a disgrace. But to say trump's ratings on this site are disgraceful are unequivocally wrong.

mnannola

Really wish they could find a way to keep Rand on stage. He is just so different from the rest that it makes the debates more interesting. Oh well.

old

My baseless suspicion is that these bloated fields are deliberate attempt by the party to reduce Trump's air time. The GOP wants him on camera as little as possible even it means having to do so by including bottom feeders in the polls.

But I haven't been able to catch the recent debates so maybe he is on camera 90% of the time anyway.

Really? According to the conservative review there, he is better than Jeb, kasich, carson, christie, santorum, huckabee and fiorina. He is a theoretical 4th in the ranking of the website you posted. I think trump's a disgrace. But to say trump's ratings on this site are disgraceful are unequivocally wrong.

Those candidates are also disgraces. If you have a bad rating on civil liberties and the free market, what does that make you? Just a democrat that's anti-abortion basically. That's really what the party is at this point.

Cyan

Banned

While I like having him on the stage, him not being there is the free market in action. Nobody in the party cares about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom