• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: IRS shares information with special counsel in Russia probe

I wonder what's going to do Trump in in the end. Collusion? Seems doubtful, but who knows. Financial crimes worthy of impeachment? No doubt there are some, but will it be enough? Obstruction of justice? Even if they make a case for it, can the President be indicted? Will Republicans care? I wonder if Trump will have pissed off enough aides and congressional staffers come court time that they'll unify against him. Wonder if Trump will try to start a war before then to keep himself in power.

iirc correctly, charges and a trial and a potential conviction/jail time are all separate from being potus. he could, theoretically, serve as president from jail if congress didn't want to impeach him (this would never happen, even the most pessimistic can't say it would with a straight face).

having said that, he also wouldn't be able to pardon himself of federal charges. and even if he somehow broke the 352nd dimensional time barrier again and did, the state charges would be un-pardonable

Shadybiz

Good stuff...figured it was only a matter of time. This is all still going to take a while, but it seems that Mueller and his legion of doom are going with a "take no prisoners" approach.

8u5DOrG.jpg
Bravo sir.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hahaha...so Mueller's got the tax returns. No wonder Toddler in Chief is so pressed on the nfl

Edit -- ok well maybe he doesn't have them but it seems like that would be a very key part of his investigation so I want to believe he would review them.

Don't expect any leaks though. Nothing from Mueller's team has leaked iirc. He runs a very tight ship it seems.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Trump will tell us if it includes Trump. He won’t be able to help himself. Lawyers and generals be damned.

@probablyWhatHeSays - "Very very not good man Bob Mueller crosses red line! Steals my private public documents! Fire?"

Let's pretend the Info from the IRS contains huge smoking guns that will sink more than one of trumps closest aides or scare them into flipping.

Isnt there something a bit wrong with the IRS that this person or these people can have been filing returns without fear of prosecution for so many years and they are only terrified when *another* part of the federal government might get to peek at them?

MIMIC

Banned
I saw that CNN story earlier today. Had me so excited....until they announced the people who were in the IRS info, and didn't mention the one person everyone cares about (Trump)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This is really old news.
Trump needs to be more worried about the IRS's special tax assassins being on his case, which is slightly less old news.

ZOONAMI

Trump has been more worried about his taxes coming out than anything else so this is good news. I hope for a leak that shows he isn’t a billionaire to shatter his fragile ego.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Let's pretend the Info from the IRS contains huge smoking guns that will sink more than one of trumps closest aides or scare them into flipping.

Isnt there something a bit wrong with the IRS that this person or these people can have been filing returns without fear of prosecution for so many years and they are only terrified when *another* part of the federal government might get to peek at them?
Well, I think the idea is that the IRS data doesn't show criminal activity without something the FBI has.

Zubz

Banned
I saw that CNN story earlier today. Had me so excited....until they announced the people who were in the IRS info, and didn't mention the one person everyone cares about (Trump)

It's a step closer. It's not Trump yet, but it makes it clear Mueller can, & will get his taxes, as well (If he hasn't already). Plus, it still casts a light on his advisers' money.

Well, I think the idea is that the IRS data doesn't show criminal activity without something the FBI has.

Considering manafort received millions in income for consultancy in Ukraine, stuck it into real estate, then took out huge loans against it to wash the money, it seems IRS is a toothless tiger when it comes to real tax dodging yet can rain hell down on some schmuck claiming a home office deduction that he didn't keep a diary on.

Lets see them tax returns. I'm sure Mueller has them and looked them over and is screaming in horror all Trump has done.

No.

Mueller is the type of motherfucker who says nothing when he is reading horrifying shit. Then, he stands, still composed, and says very calmly "Well. Let us begin".

HariKari

Hope someone from the investigation leaks juicy details to the press, so they can needle Trump with articles.

Considering manafort received millions in income for consultancy in Ukraine, stuck it into real estate, then took out huge loans against it to wash the money, it seems IRS is a toothless tiger when it comes to real tax dodging yet can rain hell down on some schmuck claiming a home office deduction that he didn't keep a diary on.

The IRS works slow but they're still nothing to fuck with. Understaffed, unfortunately.

Top Bottom