• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mueller Enlists the IRS for His Trump-Russia Investigation

Special counsel Bob Mueller has teamed up with the IRS. According to sources familiar with his investigation into alleged Russian election interference, his probe has enlisted the help of agents from the IRS’ Criminal Investigations unit.

This unit—known as CI—is one of the federal government’s most tight-knit, specialized, and secretive investigative entities. Its 2,500 agents focus exclusively on financial crime, including tax evasion and money laundering. A former colleague of Mueller’s said he always liked working with IRS’ special agents, especially when he was a U.S. Attorney.

And it goes without saying that the IRS has access to Trump’s tax returns—documents that the president has long resisted releasing to the public.

More from The Daily Beast: http://www.thedailybeast.com/exclusive-mueller-enlists-the-irs-for-his-trump-russia-investigation

chadskin

edit: too late

Special counsel Bob Mueller has teamed up with the IRS. According to sources familiar with his investigation into alleged Russian election interference, his probe has enlisted the help of agents from the IRS' Criminal Investigations unit.

This unit—known as CI—is one of the federal government's most tight-knit, specialized, and secretive investigative entities. Its 2,500 agents focus exclusively on financial crime, including tax evasion and money laundering. A former colleague of Mueller's said he always liked working with IRS' special agents, especially when he was a U.S. Attorney.

And it goes without saying that the IRS has access to Trump's tax returns—documents that the president has long resisted releasing to the public.

Potential financial crimes are a central part of Mueller's probe. One of his top deputies, Andy Weissmann, formerly helmed the Justice Department's Enron probe and has extensive experience working with investigative agents from the IRS.

”From the agents, I know everyone has the utmost respect for both Mueller and Weissmann," said Martin Sheil, a retired IRS Criminal Investigations agent.

And he said Mueller and Weissmann are known admirers of those agents' work.

”They view them with the highest regard," Sheil said. ”IRS special agents are the very best in the business of conducting financial investigations. They will quickly tell you that it took an accountant to nab Al Capone, and it's true."
http://www.thedailybeast.com/exclusive-mueller-enlists-the-irs-for-his-trump-russia-investigation

Hah, trump is gonna be sweating bullets when he finds out. Or maybe he already has and that's why he's ending daca and fucking over obamacare funding today.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
RNC about to hate the taxman even more than they already do.

Shoeless

As a Canadian, I'm not up to speed on this. Does the Republican party like the IRS? Or do they view it as a compromised, Libtard deep state conspiracy?

Maximo

XfNhI8J.gif

Yes Mueller yes!

snap

Banned
can you imagine how fucking nuts this will be once it hits

like it'll be a huge list of every single thing trump has done, a rap sheet longer than probably 95% of people actually in jail right now

RPGCrazied

Haha, going for those taxes? Only reason to do this. I bet Trump's is a gold mine. He promised to show them, but never did.

I wonder what he is hiding.

Would this suggest we're shifting into a more ... I don't know ... urgent part of the investigation? It feels like at the pace this is going Trump will have served two terms in office and put his wretched stamp of disgust on the USA for all time before we can drag his sorry putrid little orange turd of a cheeto-fingered ass off to the pokey.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Trump's about to take a deduction... from his free time. Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah!

Top Bottom