• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: More than 8,600 brick-and-mortar stores could close their doors in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/22/news/credit-suisse-retail/index.html
Stores are closing at an epic pace. In fact, the retail industry could suffer far more store closures this year than ever.

Brokerage firm Credit Suisse said in a research report released earlier this month that it's possible more than 8,600 brick-and-mortar stores will close their doors in 2017.
For comparison, the report says 2,056 stores closed down in 2016 and 5,077 were shuttered in 2015. The worst year on record is 2008, when 6,163 stores shut down.

"Barely a quarter into 2017, year-to-date retail store closings have already surpassed those of 2008," the report says.

If stores do close at the rate Credit Suisse is projecting, it could mean America will lose more than 147 million square feet of retail space this year.
Take down my sign if old.

rjinaz

90% of my shopping is done at Walmart or Amazon. I'm a typical American. It's not surprising. The others just can't compete.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Retail will contine to decline with automated checkouts. If you're in the retail industry I would start learning new skills. A 2 year technical degree ideally. There's also a shortage of good cooks.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
2020 Trump campaign preview: "I'm going to bring back all the Kohl's jobs, big league."

RPGCrazied

Thanks Amazon! Between Amazon & eBay and the occasional online shopping at Best Buy and Walmart, you really don't need walk in stores anymore.

Though Turmp is on his way to fucking up internet regulations, so there might be some extra added cost using the internet and online services/shopping. Not looking forward to that.

There will always be SOME appeal to brick and mortar, going in to try clothes, fresh products (food etc), things you want to experience in person.

But for literally everything else, its going, and theres no reason it shouldn't. Online is faster, cheaper, has more options, infinite competition, ease of entry, and a communal review base.

Let the tradtional brick and mortar die, things need to adapt. You see it already in some metro areas, new concepts of the entertainment/service industry will replace some of it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well brick and mortar stores didn't adapt

They didn't see the likes of all these .coms take away their profits

Some are lucky like Best Buyand are still surviving, but K-Mart and Sears where even if you spent $100 they charged you for shipping, amazon with its free shipping over x amount of dollars stole all those customers

Then little by little things that made those stores whole by offering many things, now are departmentalized to certain .coms sites with more stock and option that in stores

Thanks Amazon! Between Amazon & eBay and the occasional online shopping at Best Buy and Walmart, you really don't need walk in stores anymore.

Though Turmp is on his way to fucking up internet regulations, so there might be some extra added cost using the internet and online services/shopping. Not looking forward to that.

Why are people eager to let one massive corporation consolidate all business like this?

Fuck Amazon.

Kohl's should do 2 hour deliveries and returns anyway. Would make my life so much easier.

But seriously, I'm kind of nervous for all the potential job losses, but I'm sure e-retailers will need much more hands to offset that loss.

JohnsonUT

Those stores were run in terrible ways and so them shutting down is not surprising. They clung to old business models and failed to adapt.

Unfortunately, this means many people will be out of jobs. And worse, our shopping options will become concentrated leading to higher prices and worse customer service. For example, see: telecom industry, airline industry

good, space wasted on the irrelevant display of products people only buy a fraction of, and jobs that serve no purpose other than their sale.

demolish, re-zone, build affordable housing. as someone mentioned earlier, re-train and get those people into productive work.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Why are people eager to let one massive corporation consolidate all business like this?

Fuck Amazon.

Wal-Mart, Kroger, Target etc will also do automated checkouts. It's innovation, and progress can be messy but ultimately these technologies will improve quality of life.

With instacart I rarely shop in stores anymore.

Fuck Amazon.

Literally nothing wrong with a giant corp like Amazon doing what it does if it does it well. The moment it stops, I assure you, the blood will be in the water and something will take its place.

Do you get mad at Coke for dominating the soda industry? I don't, because they do a good job, and the consumer base supports them doing it.

rjinaz

Fuck Amazon.

It's a means situation. If I was well off, which I currently am not, I would shop less at Amazon or Walmart. But right now I'm going to go with wherever I can get the cheapest deals. That also includes ebay actually as I'm a big "used" buyer.

Also, Amazon may treat its employees like crap but it has some of the best customer service and customer friendly websites out there. Just as an example, they don't charge until an item ships and I can change my payment method anytime I want or even pay off a preorder using gift cards well before it ships. No others can even compare.

JohnsonUT

Wal-Mart, Kroger, Target etc will also do automated checkouts. It's innovation, and progress can be messy but ultimately these technologies will improve quality of life.

With instacart I rarely shop in stores anymore.

Technology only improves the lives of those able to afford it.

aadiboy

There will always be SOME appeal to brick and mortar, going in to try clothes, fresh products (food etc), things you want to experience in person.

But for literally everything else, its going, and theres no reason it shouldn't. Online is faster, cheaper, has more options, infinite competition, ease of entry, and a communal review base.

Let the tradtional brick and mortar die, things need to adapt. You see it already in some metro areas, new concepts of the entertainment/service industry will replace some of it.
The more people don't want to leave their homes, the less appeal brick and mortar stores have. Even Amazon is selling groceries online. People don't want to go out and watch movies at the theater anymore either. It's only a matter of time.

Future

Fuck Amazon.

If you are gonna compete, ya gotta compete. It always amuses me a little when I attempt to buy something from one of these other stores, and something always fucks up: slow delivery, delayed delivery, etc. Amazon is pretty much always perfect, and if it's not they usually compensate you. No reason to use anything else

Syriel

It'll only get worse as more and more people become less hesitant to shop online.

This had better not be a case of the canary in the coal mine because more closures than 2008 sounds just a bit ominous.

90% of my shopping is done at Walmart or Amazon. I'm a typical American. It's not surprising. The others just can't compete.

It's also a lot easier to have mobility WRT living arrangements when you don't have to worry about what stores are physically close by.

If you can get everything you need delivered, living in a more rural area suddenly becomes more attractive.

JohnsonUT

Literally nothing wrong with a giant corp like Amazon doing what it does if it does it well. The moment it stops, I assure you, the blood will be in the water and something will take its place.

Do you get mad at Coke for dominating the soda industry? I don't, because they do a good job, and the consumer base supports them doing it.

But historically that is not how it works. Companies get entrenched by removing competition and buying legislation. They then lower the bar from "doing well" to "doing adequate" to "doing poorly but you don't have a choice"

I mean let's face it there aren't going to be enough jobs ever guys.
Between globalisation, e-commerce, deep learning and robotics?

Not even stem jobs are safe because why pay a white man for a job if I can pay 4 Indians the same amount?

Technology is to create efficiency for capitalistic markets to increase their bottom line.

But I'm sure our governments know what's up and will rescue us before one half of society consumes the other.

x3sphere

Fuck Amazon.

why is it amazon's fault?

Putting retail aside even the online experience at many other stores is terrible that it's no surprise that Amazon is swallowing all their business

Walmart only recently started competing with amazon on shipping, they should have done it a long time ago.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
US needs to lead the world in planning for a true leisure society. Energy solves are on the horizon. Food and environment need to be next. This is what we should be spending research investment on.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Although Amazon is a huge part to blame, another part is just seems like natural consolidation or elimination based on an increasingly global economy.

We probably don't need Sears or some of these other weaker retail chains when there are several substitutes. There will always be competition because Amazon isn't taking down Walmart, Target, or some others so I'm not as concerned about a monopoly so much as the fact that these are just yet more jobs that aren't coming back.

Hazmat

The stores that are closing now ran the old mom and pop shops and small franchises out of business. The job loss is bad, but I'm not shedding any tears for these companies.

rjinaz

US needs to lead the world in planning for a true leisure society. Energy solves are on the horizon. Food and environment need to be next. This is what we should be spending research investment on.

We won't be. Money and corruption are the driving force of America. It's in are policies and politics. We're decades off from anything like that.

It's going to have to be a progressive country like Sweden leading the way or at least showing others how it's done.

iavi

The stores that are closing now ran the old mom and pop shops and small franchises out of business. The job loss is bad, but I'm not shedding any tears for these companies.

The irony being that a lot of smaller, specialized boutique mom and pop shops are in again as big box bites the dust.

Time to buy AMZN stock? Even if they're closing because of retailers like Amazon, whatever business they do still have will also get picked up by those same places, accelerating their growth even more

We won't be. Money and corruption are the driving force of America. It's in are policies and politics. We're decades off from anything like that.

It's going to have to be a progressive country like Sweden leading the way or at least showing others how it's done.

Absolutely nothing gets done without economic motivation. We all know that people who work in congress for instance aren't idiots. I'd venture to guess 99% truly believe that climate change for instance is a real issue. It's just they believe 100% that money is more important.

Renekton

Time to buy AMZN stock? Even if they're closing because of retailers like Amazon, whatever business they do still have will also get picked up by those same places, accelerating their growth even more
Supposedly their online retail business itself doesn't make money either.

A little off topic, but with the shift to online, shouldn't logistics companies and USPS be doing really great business?
Fierce competition if I'm not mistaken.

JohnsonUT

A little off topic, but with the shift to online, shouldn't logistics companies and USPS be doing really great business?

I believe UPS and fedex did benefit from Amazon for years. But, now Amazon is becoming its own shipping company in order to cut them out of the equation.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Not really. If a store offers free shipping and free returns, then I much prefer buying clothes online, and often take a risk anyway with shipping costs over going in store.

That leaves you solely fresh produce, which is usually sold in stores that will run out of business because so much will bought online instead. Butcher shops, bakeries, pastries, cheese makers, those will survive. Urban farming will also be very popular.

Uber and co will pretty much slaughter them for local deliveries. It's not the biggest margin, but it will push them to compete more. Expect some merging.

Not really. If a store offers free shipping and free returns, then I much prefer buying clothes online, and often take a risk anyway with shipping costs over going in store.

That leaves you solely fresh produce, which is usually sold in stores that will run out of business because so much will bought online instead. Butcher shops, bakeries, pastries, cheese makers, those will survive. Urban farming will also be very popular.

This is one of the most incredibly naive things I've ever read in my life.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I believe UPS and fedex did benefit from Amazon for years. But, now Amazon is becoming its own shipping company in order to cut them out of the equation.

And they're terrible at it and don't give you the choice to opt out of their shipping.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
All in one stores not stuck in the stone age seem to be doing ok. So Walmart, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Costco ect...

HH Greg was fucked cause they still relied on the old commish sales model of old old old Circuit City and their pricing sucked.

No need when all the other big box stores sold your shit. You could just go buy your TV at Costco or your Washer/Drier at Lowes.

Then old stores that failed to modernize in some way like Sears also bombed out. They didn't sell the right mix of everything.

Lowes isn't trying to sell clothes. Sears was while also trying to sell you a mower. Meanwhile places like Walmart or Target focus more on house items/groceries with just a small side of outdoor.

Best Buy gets by cause their competition outside of Wally or Target has gone away. Plus they've leaned into Phones as its really lucrative.

(Obviously online competes with all of this).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom