• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: More than 8,600 brick-and-mortar stores could close their doors in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly their online retail business itself doesn't make money either.

Fierce competition if I'm not mistaken.

Yea but it's like a gas station's gas business, they use it as a lure to get you in the store to buy drinks and stuff. Same with Amazon, the retail business gets you into their ecosystem to get prime etc

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yea but it's like a gas station's gas business, they use it as a lure to get you in the store to buy drinks and stuff. Same with Amazon, the retail business gets you into their ecosystem to get prime etc

They don't even make THAT much money on Prime.

Honestly most of their revenue growth has all been AWS which really has jack all to do with what the average person uses Amazon for.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Time to buy AMZN stock? Even if they're closing because of retailers like Amazon, whatever business they do still have will also get picked up by those same places, accelerating their growth even more

I assume a lot of the revenue has already shifted elsewhere and that's why these stores are closing.

What revenue is left (Looks like $22 billion for Sears last year) I would wager would be more likely to shift over to something like Walmart. There's still a lot of the elderly and some luddites who refuse to buy shit online.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think even non-prepared food will eventually move to the uber/seamless model where drivers are contracted as delivery, or a hybrid FreshDirect model where they maintain a brick and mortar store but their business will also revolve around large scale delivery.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Buying food online currently is a pain in the ass cause I do a gazillion comparison shops in one grocery run. Where as when I want to say buy a TV I can find the TV I want and just check a couple of places.

7Th

The only way for human civilization to not collapse is to try to progress as fast as possible towards a singularity. Only a sufficiently advanced artificial intelligence can save our broken, rotten way of life.

smurfx

get some go again
tear all those shopping complexes down and make new homes. i don't see myself shopping for food online anytime soon. i can definitely say i enjoy the experience over going to shop for clothes or other items at a brick and mortar stores.

Literally nothing wrong with a giant corp like Amazon doing what it does if it does it well. The moment it stops, I assure you, the blood will be in the water and something will take its place.

Do you get mad at Coke for dominating the soda industry? I don't, because they do a good job, and the consumer base supports them doing it.
You need to read up on how monopolies work and why they're uncompetative. Amazon is on the path of becoming a monopoly and once it does it's not going to be so cheap and convenient anymore, and nothing will have the scale and resources to complete with it.

I like shopping online and I like using amazon but it's still worrying how everywhere tge internet goes it creates monopolies like this.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
We won't be. Money and corruption are the driving force of America. It's in are policies and politics. We're decades off from anything like that.

It's going to have to be a progressive country like Sweden leading the way or at least showing others how it's done.

I know. Just saying what we SHOULD do.

ColdPizza

Banned
good, space wasted on the irrelevant display of products people only buy a fraction of, and jobs that serve no purpose other than their sale.

demolish, re-zone, build affordable housing. as someone mentioned earlier, re-train and get those people into productive work.

Can't afford even affordable housing if people can't even snag retail jobs.

Socivol

I hate going to the store because in the city I live in customer service people seem to think that being a disrespectful asshole is acceptable behavior. I would much rather just spend my money online and have everything delivered to me. The only stores I go to in person are just Target and Macy's and with Macy's if I hit the spending limit for free shipping I'll usually go with that. Poor customer service has really soured me on the b&m shopping experience.

phaonaut

I buy most big purchases online, but I still like to go in person and look at the item. I did it recently which a blender, couldn't get a sense of scale online.

This was inevitable. I do a huge chunk of my shopping online. I still have uses for actual stores in my area mind you (or when travelling of course), and probably always will, but there's just less of it.

It's gonna be rough for a lot of people, in a lot of ways, that's for sure.

Slo

Although Amazon is a huge part to blame, another part is just seems like natural consolidation or elimination based on an increasingly global economy.

We probably don't need Sears or some of these other weaker retail chains when there are several substitutes. There will always be competition because Amazon isn't taking down Walmart, Target, or some others so I'm not as concerned about a monopoly so much as the fact that these are just yet more jobs that aren't coming back.

I got a call from a Sears recruiter this week. They're thinking about putting together an engineering team to build a modern eCommerce site and are looking for a Team Lead.

I'll say that again. In 2017 they're going to start a team to start building an eCommerce.

ColdPizza

Banned
Hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot will still do well. I think department and clothing stores should just have smaller footprints. People still need to try on outfits. But you'll see huge mega stores like Macy's, Lord & Taylor, JC Penny's and Sears closing.

Lmo911

I got a call from a Sears recruiter this week. They're thinking about putting together an engineering team to build a modern eCommerce site and are looking for a Team Lead.

I'll say that again. In 2017 they're going to start a team to start building an eCommerce.

Out of all the companies that should have seen this coming, it should have been Sears. It made it's entire reputation on that damn catalog and threw it all away chasing Walmart and the like.

It blows my mind to this day.

Nordicus

If you squeeze coal hard enough it will make diamonds that millenials don't buy
http://business.financialpost.com/n...ever-but-for-millennials-it-may-also-be-passe
“We’re reminding them that diamonds are about the love about the underlying emotion, the personal motivation that brings these two people together, it’s not about the ritual, it’s not about the convention that that’s what you do when you get married.”

Well, diamonds are more about De Beers selling a particular overpriced gem with large markup that it achieved through really great marketing, but hey, you do you.

"GRAND CLOSING!" just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Well, it's not like it's not a thing. There's was a doll shop .5 miles from my home that's been having a "GRAND CLOSING!!" sale for, I kid you not, about 3-4 years.

They finally went out of business a few weeks ago, with the ribbon advertising still drowsily draped across the storefront like a sash belonging to a miss universe runner-up getting smashed at your local bar.

Why are people eager to let one massive corporation consolidate all business like this?

Fuck Amazon.

Because of decades of garbage experiences at places like best buy.

Amazon is actually intelligent and nice when I have an issue. They also don't smell like feces and either have no staff or staff that treats me like a thief.

At this point amazon could charge double what best buy charges and i'd still go amazon.

digdug2k

If you can get everything you need delivered, living in a more rural area suddenly becomes more attractive.
I bet you don't actually need most of what you order from Amazon. We moved to where there is none. We buy shitloads less and (I think) we're happier for it. But there's also tons of tiny indy popup shops here each selling their own cool shit. Anericas brick and mortar became so rubber stamp, they're easy to replace.

good, space wasted on the irrelevant display of products people only buy a fraction of, and jobs that serve no purpose other than their sale.

demolish, re-zone, build affordable housing. as someone mentioned earlier, re-train and get those people into productive work.

Who do you think needs affordable housing? How are they going to pay for it when their jobs are gone?

thefro

Hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot will still do well. I think department and clothing stores should just have smaller footprints. People still need to try on outfits. But you'll see huge mega stores like Macy's, Lord & Taylor, JC Penny's and Sears closing.

Kohl's seems to be doing well in that space.

There should be a market for some of the other stores (if they're not stuck in a dying shopping mall) with all the closings.

JC Penney's is closing in the town I work in because Kohl's & TJ Maxx ate its lunch and the mall it's in is close to being dead. That and here's a huge outlet mall about 8 miles north of that mall. Similar situation with Sears.

Madness

It'll only get worse as more and more people become less hesitant to shop online.

And as automation comes, immigration both legal and illegal stays above birthrates. Honestly I feel Dredd 3D and Elysium are vry accurate depictions of the future. Just overcrowded and dilpaidated megacities, diverse, with lack of economic and upwards mobility.

People in the 80's started to make people look down on the McJob, the laborer and trades worker. Now people would be lucky to have those jobs in the future. You need massive and substantive investment in retraining American workers facing a job loss. If all you have known is to be a Sears sales associate, be taught something else, otherwise what will you do.

Out of all the companies that should have seen this coming, it should have been Sears. It made it's entire reputation on that damn catalog and threw it all away chasing Walmart and the like.

It blows my mind to this day.

Sears is an old company, it's not surprising that they failed to adapt. But otherwise yeah if you consider what their original sales model was, you would think that the transition to online would be natural.

Things are always changing, adapt or die as they say.

Plumbob

People talk a lot about governments being inefficient and unadapting, but big corporations can be strong offenders in this department as well

People talk a lot about governments being inefficient and unadapting, but big corporations can be strong offenders in this department as well

If you can't compete with the government that these companies often claim are inefficient, incompetent etc. Then you don't deserve to exist as a company.

Like this stuff with Tennessee deciding that instead of expanding their phenomenal municipal gigabit internet infastructure they're giving it to Comcast and AT&T is "economically motivated" or that there's tons of laws inihibiting other states from doing what Chattanooga did is just hilarious.

It's faux capitalism.

Maximus.

Food, furniture and clothing are things I deffintely prefer to shop for in person. I think everything else doesn't really matter.

robochimp

It's also insanely expensive.

Amazon Prime Now in my area offers grocery shopping through the store Fresh Thyme and prices are inline with every other grocery store.

My family is wasting a lot less food being able to easily get a constant stream of fresh meat and produce. Which is another source of savings.

Renekton

They don't even make THAT much money on Prime.

Honestly most of their revenue growth has all been AWS which really has jack all to do with what the average person uses Amazon for.
I thought subscriptions and kindle content were big money-makers for them, not dwarfed by AWS

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

While you're not wrong, there's a difference in consequence when a corporation collapses vs when a government collapses, and a difference in reasons why we would want to prop up such entities regardless of said inefficiencies.

Kite

Walmart only recently started competing with amazon on shipping, they should have done it a long time ago.
Sad as it may be, Walmart will be the only real competition for Amazon for my $$ in online purchases. I do like the option of an actual brick and mortar store to go physically return an item or pick something up that is very heavy or delicate that I don't trust the delivery person to get up three flights of stairs in my old apartment. And Walmart is fucking everywhere.

For all these clothing and shoe stores that are closing.. those items and groceries are the only ones that I still prefer to see and buy at an actual store. Or test the size and look in store and actually buy online.

Why are people eager to let one massive corporation consolidate all business like this?

Fuck Amazon.
Why? Amazon is providing the best type of service + the convenience of getting what you ordered the next day or in 2 days. Other companies either aren't trying to compete, or cannot.

A big part of this is that amazons customer service is pretty fucking spectacular. A lot of other places can't compete with their prices or customer service. And most stores' online experience sucks compared to Amazon. It's just so hassle free. Which sucks for other businesses. I don't want to see all these closures but what can you do if you can't compete?

people are so eager to have retail gone, i don't know why though. i kinda like shopping in stores and browse a bit.
but i'm certainly part of the problem as i check prices online and if they are way cheaper i will order it there.

UPS and FedEx will probably be hiring a lot more though.

Need more drivers to deliver those Amazon packages. Until drones take over anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom