• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca Cola :ZERO: how healthy is it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorgal

7zyuyw9.jpg

I've pretty much made this my defacto drink when it comes to coca cola .

It looks like regular cola and it's taste is indeed ( for me ) indistinguishable from the classic coke.

it also sports zero calories and no sugar on the label.
if i take them at there word i technically could drink a gallon of it and not gain any weight

the question i have been pondering over for a while is : is this coke really that much less unhealthy compared to classic coke ?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck no it's not healthy! Or "healthy" Or any combination of the words involving health.

Zero calories comes with it a shit load of preservatives and artificial flavoring.

jb1234

It's certainly better for you than the real stuff is, simply on a glycemic index. But honestly, if you're going to drink large amounts of it, you're better off switching to water.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's unlikely that it alone will lead directly to weight gain.

It's unclear what effects it might have on other aspects of your health.

Plenty of people, both healthy and unhealthy, drink it in varying quantities on a regular basis.

You're better off drinking water, but if you must have soda, then at least you can rest at ease knowing it's much less detrimental to your health than a sugar-filled beverage would be.

BearPawB

Banned
7zyuyw9.jpg

I've pretty much made this my defacto drink when it comes to coca cola .

It looks like regular cola and it's taste is indeed ( for me ) indistinguishable from the classic coke.

it also sports zero calories and no sugar on the label.
if i take them at there word i technically could drink a gallon of it and not gain any weight

the question i have been pondering over for a while is : is this coke really that much healthier then classic coke ?

Basically, as i have heard it. It may not have sugar. But your body still reacts as if it IS sugar. So it isn't that much better. It doesn't have the calories, but your body almost still thinks it does, and you still gain weight

Jag

Coke and healthy are mutually exclusive.

I have access to unlimited soda at work. I only drink water.

Drink water.

I think you asked the wrong question.
You should ask how unhealthy it is, because I doubt it does anything positive to your health.

vafvw6Z.jpg

Greatest of all time though.

maxcriden

It's bad for you in a different way from regular soda. Unless you drink it only occasionally, I recommend you try to find different, healthier drinks to imbibe, and that if you don't have a taste for water that you try to develop one. I mean this sincerely and with zero snark.

I'll never understand diet cola. I would rather increase my water intake to 90% of the liquids I consume, and then have an actual real soda when I've earned it once or twice a week. Moderation, people.

RiverBed

Banned
I assume it is less damaging than regular coke, but I think fizzy drinks aren't good for the health especially in large amounts.

I occasionally drink a fizzy drink with a junk meal and I don't feel good about that.

Oversoul

Banned
It's not at all healthy.

Also, forget amount of calories. It's all about WHAT kind of calories. Nutritional value.

Freshly squeezed orange juice 200 ml or a banana are around ~100 calories each and are infinitely more nutritious then coke zero will ever be.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'll never understand diet cola. I would rather increase my water intake to 90% of the liquids I consume, and then have an actual real soda when I've earned it once or twice a week. Moderation, people.

But I can have 10 Coke Zeros instead of just 1 Coke.

kobu

Basically, as i have heard it. It may not have sugar. But your body still reacts as if it IS sugar. So it isn't that much better. It doesn't have the calories, but your body almost still thinks it does, and you still gain weight

pretty sure what you've heard is bullshit

I mean, there's literally nothing directly beneficial about drinking, so no, of course it's not "healthy". Remove the unneeded calories from drinking normal soda is beneficial, but you can do that without ALSO switching to a zero calorie soda, so making that a in its favor is a stretch.

Also, soda in general is terrible for your teeth and there is actually evidence that excess zero calorie sweeteners can actually have negative effects on your insulin levels, as they can "trick" your body into thinking it has consumed copious sugar.

So basically, if you literally need to drink soda your situation will improve somewhat by switching, but by no means is a it healthy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not at all healthy.

Also, forget amount of calories. It's all about WHAT kind of calories. Nutritional value.

Freshly squeezed orange juice 200 ml or a banana are around ~100 calories each and are infinitely more nutritious then coke zero will ever be.

Please don't recommend the guy drink orange juice, fresh squeezed or not, as an alternative to Coke Zero...

Any soft drink, diet or not, isn't healthy and shouldn't be considered "healhier-than..." anything.

Coke Zero is now... PLAIN ZERO!

DJ_Lae

It's better than regular Coke as far as sugar is concerned.

I wouldn't substitute it for water or anything though.

jmdajr

It's junk.

No nutritional value.

edit: Kidney Stones come from lack of water. Those who drink tons of soda, don't drink water.

There is absolutely no positive nutrition from soda. The reason why its low calorie and low sugar is because they've loaded it with so many unhealthy preservatives and artificial sweetners (which will make you crave carbs, which will cause you to eat more).

It's ok to drink soda every once in a while but 99% of your fluids should be coming from water and milk.

BearPawB

Banned
pretty sure what you've heard is bullshit

Like i said, no idea if it is true. but it is definitely something that is out there. NO idea about the validity of these sources

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

"Contrary to industry claims, research over the last 30 years—including several large scale prospective cohort studies—have shown that artificial sweeteners stimulate appetite, increase cravings for carbs, and produce a variety of metabolic dysfunctions that promote fat storage and weight gain—often to the researchers' great surprise."

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030

seat

Studies have shown time and time again that it's harmless, but people will always claim otherwise based on nothing but conjecture.

The Lamp

Fuck no it's not healthy! Or "healthy" Or any combination of the words involving health.

Zero calories comes with it a shit load of preservatives and artificial flavoring.

Preservatives that do what exactly for your health? They're all validated by the FDA. I don't think you're in a position to overthrow the data that says beverage preservatives are safe.

As for artificial flavoring, that also inherently has no effect on your health compared to natural flavoring. Artificial just means it was precisely chemically synthesized as opposed to extracted from raw food materials. But it's the same chemical.

Coke Zero is harmless. It's sugar and calorie free.

The amount of irrational opinions GAFers hold about food is a little alarming given how usually scientifically literate/rational this community is. People fear the chemistry they don't understand, I suppose.

I enjoy a diet soda now and then as a treat. I do drink coffee/water/milk/tea the rest of the time.

I don't think diet soda will harm you if you have a can a week.

I do know its horrible for your teeth and you shouldn't drink it regularly unless you like high dentist bills.

UberTag

Let me ask my stomach lining how healthy Coke Zero is?
What's that? My stomach lining is completely gone? Oh no...

Ah well... I'm sure it'll grow back.

nilbog21

Banned

absolute nonsense lmao

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why not? Home-made orange juice is great to start the day.

No, it's simply not. Waking up and pounding 20+ grams of sugar is not how anyone should start their day.

He's better off with the 0 sugar Coke Zero if he must have something sweet.

Thorgal

just to be clear , i am not drinking this stuff like it's water ( although during my school years i came dangerously close to that )

i usually drink water or tea or juice or anything basically but occasionally i crank one of these open ( especially in Summer) it's my guilty pleasure i suppose .

And yeah i should have made the question how much is it less unhealthy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom