• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca Cola :ZERO: how healthy is it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure it's just Diet Coke in a different can, since Coco-Cola spent decades marketing Diet Coke to women and needed an alternative product to appeal to the bros.

Alebrije

Coke is bad , not only for your health but for environment. Pet cans everywhere (specially on third world countries) but the worse is Coke endindg with the water resources of a location.

Once the water is not enough for a plant they just shut down and move to other countrie or state.

The Lamp

When is science coming up with a substitue of milk that tates like milk but doesnt have all the negatives of it.

Like what? Coca-Cola just bought a milk company that makes a milk product that is lactose free, higher protein, and lower sugar than regular milk.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Like what? Coca-Cola just bought a milk company that makes a milk product that is lactose free, higher protein, and lower sugar than regular milk.

Does it also not cause the increase in bone fractures that regular milk drinkers statistically have?

But is it still milk? arent we suposed not to drink milk after we are a certain age?

I just want the taste and texture of milk in a liquid that would be the equivalent of diet coke.

The Lamp

But is it still milk? arent we suposed not to drink milk after we are a certain age?

I just want the taste and texture of milk in a liquid that would be the equivalent of diet coke.

I have no idea about that lol I only drink milk and water....and booze on Fridays.

There's more and more companies doing that kind of stuff though. Just scour the milk aisle of the store and you'll see similar products.

I have no idea about that lol I only drink milk and water....and booze on Fridays.

There's more and more companies doing that kind of stuff though. Just scour the milk aisle of the store and you'll see similar products.

I live in Peru so its not that simple. The only milk ill find there is actual milk, lactose free milk and 1% or w/e its called milk. And yogurt. Lots and lots of yogurt.

Davey Cakes

Pretry sure Diet Coke uses Aspartame while Coke Zero uses Splenda.
I don't believe that's the case.

I think Coke had a specific version that used Splenda for diet, labeled as "made with Splenda."

Or is that Pepsi? Because, at one point Pepsi had a Splenda-based variant called Pepsi One but I'm not sure if Coke had a similar product.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Pretry sure Diet Coke uses Aspartame while Coke Zero uses Splenda.

No. Both use Aspartame. The difference is Coke Zero has flavor.

There is a variation called Coke Life that is flavored with stevia IIRC. Coke was so confident in that however that they still mashed in half the usual sugar of a standard Coke.

SURGEdude

No. Both use Aspartame. The difference is Coke Zero has flavor.

There is a variation called Coke Life that is flavored with stevia IIRC. Coke was so confident in that however that they still mashed in half the usual sugar of a standard Coke.

Yeah Coke life is another attempt at half-calorie stuff. Like Coke C2 before it.

jmdajr

Are you saying that HFCS is somehow -so much worse- for you that it's better to just have table sugar? As far as I understand the difference between HFCS and other sugars is essentially inconsequential - the big problem is that HFCS is cheap and thus is used in a lot of things. But if sugar cane was cheap and used in a lot of things, it's not like it would be better.

Further, if you want to choose between diet and non-diet soft drinks, and don't mind diet - have the diet. It's markedly better for you in every measurable way than a sugar filled drink.

Nope. Any sugar gulping will kill you. But if you want to die, have the one that tastes better.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Coke Zero is the best. I lost 50 pounds while drinking it and continue to drink it to this day. Such a vast, vast improvement over diet coke.

Kenstar

Diet coke was based off of New Coke
Coke Zero is based off of Classic Coke
Coke Zero uses Ace K and Aspartame, Diet uses Aspartame

That's a very weak rebuttal in the field of nutritional science.

Not really. In any kind of science you have to make a claim with as few variables as possible. Did your study even ask people why they switched to diet in the first place?

I have a sweet tooth. I love snacks, ice cream, you name it. I switched to diet because no matter how bad my snacking was, my liquid intake was far worse. Cutting out 600-900 calories a day drinking normal cola helps a lot, and I can still indulge in the occasional can of diet without losing too much of the taste.

Diet coke did not make me eat more, I switched to it because I already ate too much and wanted to cut something, somewhere. My girlfriend actually lost 25lbs switching to diet.

The Hermit

I used to love regular Coke ( hell I still do) but I dont drink nearly as much as I used. Once or twice a month tops.

How can anyone like that awful thing that is Zero Coke is beyond me.

jmdajr

Not really. In any kind of science you have to make a claim with as few variables as possible. Did your study even ask people why they switched to diet in the first place?

I have a sweet tooth. I love snacks, ice cream, you name it. I switched to diet because no matter how bad my snacking was, my liquid intake was far worse. Cutting out 600-900 calories a day drinking normal cola helps a lot, and I can still indulge in the occasional can of diet without losing too much of the taste.

Diet coke did not make me eat more, I switched to it because I already ate too much and wanted to cut something, somewhere. My girlfriend actually lost 25lbs switching to diet.

You have to start somewhere you know. Hey, it's an addiction, and Diet Coke is almost like a nicotine patch. Maybe not a 1 to 1 comparison, but you need to feel that reward system to go off while no longer doing the damage you used to be.

edit: Something I almost NEVER see stocked. Sprite Zero. It's a travesty.

1. Replace your daily soda intake with water.

2. Realize you don't miss it that much and live a healthier life.

3. Profit.

yup. I went further and stopped buying juice last year. I mainly drink water, milk, coffee and tea now. Two months after dropping juice, I had lost 15 pounds. I don't really miss it.

Dazzler

So I'm four days into giving up caffeine. Before this, I was having a sugar free energy drink EVERY morning, then a diet pepsi at lunch

I've switched to just water and fruit smoothies I make at home with a magic bullet

A couple days in, I'm sleeping better, I surprisingly don't feel groggy or sleepy in any way, and I've been having poops that just glide out of me

I'd recommend it to anyone on the fence, you'll feel great

this_guy

So I'm four days into giving up caffeine. Before this, I was having a sugar free energy drink EVERY morning, then a diet pepsi at lunch

I've switched to just water and fruit smoothies I make at home with a magic bullet

A couple days in, I'm sleeping better, I surprisingly don't feel groggy or sleepy in any way, and I've been having poops that just glide out of me

I'd recommend it to anyone on the fence, you'll feel great

Sounds like giving up caffeine and getting more fiber is working for you.

womfalcs3

Banned
yup. I went further and stopped buying juice last year. I mainly drink water, milk, coffee and tea now. Two months after dropping juice, I had lost 15 pounds. I don't really miss it.

Same here... I've been doing it for 6 years. Don't miss the soda or the sugar-filled processed juices. I only drink juices I make.

I used to drink Coke Zero believing that it was better for me to drink than other sodas. However, that's when I discovered that aspartame gives me awful headaches, and I switched to solely drinking water (with maybe the occasional ginger ale here and there along with watered down fruit juice). Never felt better.

Dazzler

I used to drink Coke Zero believing that it was better for me to drink than other sodas. However, that's when I discovered that aspartame gives me awful headaches, and I switched to solely drinking water (with maybe the occasional ginger ale here and there along with watered down fruit juice). Never felt better.

Part of the reason I switched is I'm extremely prone to headaches and since giving up caffeine I've been headache free

Davey Cakes

Yeah Coke life is another attempt at half-calorie stuff. Like Coke C2 before it.
Pepsi Next was a similar thing. It did taste more like the real thing purely because of the sugar. Better than canned Diet Pepsi.

That said, it seemed pointless when Pepsi Max exists and has zero calories. I'm not looking for a half-measure here.

I do enjoy the TEN line of sodas, though. They have just a little bit of sugar (3-4 grams and 10 calories per serving as opposed to 42 grams and ~150 calories).

Sunkist TEN, 7-Up TEN, A&W TEN, Dr. Pepper TEN, Canada Dry TEN, etc. These all do taste better than the regular diet versions. The 10 calories and sugar make just enough difference there. Something about Diet Dr. Pepper especially is just "off" to me but I like DP10.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Supposedly it's actually worse for you than regular coke if you drink in moderation. The chemical sweetener is worse for your body than if you'd take in actual sugar.

tariniel

1. Replace your daily soda intake with water.

2. Realize you don't miss it that much and live a healthier life.

3. Profit.

I've done this lately and it wasn't so bad. I drink two cups of green tea a day for my caffeine needs and water the rest of the day. I've learned to like the water. I've also lost 17lbs since new years by stopping the soda, quitting alcohol and exercising. But I'm gigantic so it tends to fall off fast when I'm not gorging myself.

The downside is I have probably 20 cans of Coke and Dr. Pepper in the fridge doing nothing. I don't know what to do with them and they are constant temptation. I don't know how a neighbor would respond if I tried to give them away. Maybe the dumpster is the answer.

Thorgal

I've done this lately and it wasn't so bad. I drink two cups of green tea a day for my caffeine needs and water the rest of the day. I've learned to like the water. I've also lost 17lbs since new years by stopping the soda, quitting alcohol and exercising. But I'm gigantic so it tends to fall off fast when I'm not gorging myself.

The downside is I have probably 20 cans of Coke and Dr. Pepper in the fridge doing nothing. I don't know what to do with them and they are constant temptation. I don't know how a neighbor would respond if I tried to give them away. Maybe the dumpster is the answer.

take them outside and put Mentos in them .

You can have some fun
and a mess
from it still .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom