• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops Wii | Information and Hype Thread [Up: Videos/Impressions Start p.257]

luoapp

rpmurphy said:
Finally got the time to start playing this!

Not sure if I like the maps as much as the ones in MW. The relatively many passages and the lack of chokepoints makes it rather disorienting for me. I guess I'll keep playing to see if that changes. Also, having to purchase custom loadouts is a little overwhelming and kinda hard for me to experiment.

Zombies is awesome and I've been playing more of that! Best record so far on MP is Wave 10. It's hard to stay alive once everyone drops dead, and it's difficult to revive teammates when no one's there to cover you. Anyone know when players automatically revive, since I haven't kept track.

Ally code is 2826-0218-8566 if anyone wants to add me.

Exactly how I felt when I started playing. Hanging there and you'll "get" it eventually. Now I know the maps better, I even start to like them more than MWR's.

Picked this up on monday and I'm really enjoying it. I left my 360 copy at my gf's house so I've really had a chance to get acquainted with it. As a 4th prestige on the 360 version I feel sorry for some of the people I've played against..:lol

Effect said:
If anyone is interested Walmart is selling the game for $40 ($39.96). Same with GoldenEye 007. They have a number of other games marked down for the holidays as well across the systems and PC.

I guess I couldn't pass it up though I hadn't planned on buying anymore games this year after WoW:Cataclysm. This has to be a record for a game I've bought and returned, bought and returned, only to buy again for the third time. Ugh. :( I sicken myself sometimes.
overpriced games at work right here.

rpmurphy

Damn, anyone else get game freezes? I had to hard reset like several times now in Combat Training and online Zombies (it was a good game going too,
except that my teammates kept leaving me behind for teleport while I was linking to the lobby. lol
)

ok, I pulled the trigger on this, since I was able to pick it up for $30. Only want the multiplayer.

I am happy to play Team Dieathmatch again. :D Granted, the wii is the only gaming console i have currently, but they actually did a pretty good job on this.

Will edit this post later to put in my Ally code.

luoapp said:
You need to use a usb headset like this,
wiipdph.jpg

but why bother, lol:lol
Because it's awesome for the PC! I don't even have BO Wii but I use the headset on my PC. :lol

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Mr Sandman said:
Because it's awesome for the PC! I don't even have BO Wii but I use the headset on my PC. :lol
It works for PC? No special drivers required?
If so, what's stopping for other USB headsets to work on Wii?

Disguises

rpmurphy said:
Finally got the time to start playing this!

Not sure if I like the maps as much as the ones in MW. The relatively many passages and the lack of chokepoints makes it rather disorienting for me. I guess I'll keep playing to see if that changes. Also, having to purchase custom loadouts is a little overwhelming and kinda hard for me to experiment.

Zombies is awesome and I've been playing more of that! Best record so far on MP is Wave 10. It's hard to stay alive once everyone drops dead, and it's difficult to revive teammates when no one's there to cover you. Anyone know when players automatically revive, since I haven't kept track.

Ally code is 2826-0218-8566 if anyone wants to add me.
Added you. Also, about when players auto-revive - it seems to be at the start of every new round, but sometimes they don't (maybe if you're standing near them?).
I'll also add my ally code here too for anyone who wants to add: 3536-2721-7878.
Hopefully will start playing more once my holiday is over and I settle back into work! :D
Mr Sandman said:
It definitely works with PC? If so, I might have to hunt one down.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
OK, after trying to get into Goldeneye, and liking it, I realized that I just couldn't stand the controls. I've played Metroid Prime 3, and those controls were heavenly to me, but I guess FPS on Wii are just doomed to be jerky, but that could just be my hands, lol.

Anyways, I decided to pick this up because I heard that the controls were a lot better, and they are, but playing online, I see that my turning speed is piss poor. What's the best control scheme for this game, or should I just give up, and pick up a CC Pro?

rpmurphy

SoulPlaya said:
OK, after trying to get into Goldeneye, and liking it, I realized that I just couldn't stand the controls. I've played Metroid Prime 3, and those controls were heavenly to me, but I guess FPS on Wii are just doomed to be jerky, but that could just be my hands, lol.

Anyways, I decided to pick this up because I heard that the controls were a lot better, and they are, but playing online, I see that my turning speed is piss poor. What's the best control scheme for this game, or should I just give up, and pick up a CC Pro?
For me, I have my deadzone small and camera speed up like 30. Deadzone big for ADS though.

thomaser

I've only had Nintendo systems, so this is the first game I've tried voice chat. So strange hearing all these kids :lol I think I've heard two or three grown up voices so far.

One thing is irritating me in the Crisis level. It has happened three or four times so far that I've spawned in/under a rock down by the beach with no way out, so I have to kill myself with a grenade to escape. It happened first right when the game was out, and last time it happened was tonight, so it's irritating that they haven't fixed it yet.

Disguises

thomaser said:
I've only had Nintendo systems, so this is the first game I've tried voice chat. So strange hearing all these kids :lol I think I've heard two or three grown up voices so far.
Funny thing is, I've never heard anything like what I've heard on Xbox Live. With Xbox being the perceived 'grown up' console and Wii being the perceived 'kiddy' console - I was surprised to hear people not swearing/being racist/arguing/singing into mic/playing loud music. This always happens on XBL and is the main reason I now auto-mute everyone.

I was in the process of moving back home after the holidays and have misplaced my Xbox VGA cable, so I should be playing this version more from now on.

SoulPlaya said:
What's the best control scheme for this game, or should I just give up, and pick up a CC Pro?

The best control scheme is spending 15 minutes and finely tuning everything, including your turning speed, to perfection. Seriously, DO NOT use the CC Pro. You will be at a disadvantage.

Disguises said:
Funny thing is, I've never heard anything like what I've heard on Xbox Live. With Xbox being the perceived 'grown up' console and Wii being the perceived 'kiddy' console - I was surprised to hear people not swearing/being racist/arguing/singing into mic/playing loud music. This always happens on XBL and is the main reason I now auto-mute everyone.

I don't have a headset, but my experience has generally been positive. I only had two muting incidents. The first was with a little boy named S1LENT who kept shouting "Ownage" into the mic, mostly when his team won despite him being among the first to die in SND. The second was some ghetto-sounding kids from a clan that were hassling a user with a tag of a female name. Standard lame sexual jokes.

Other than that, pretty solid community. I felt old as fuck though when an ally sent me a message asking how old I was. 27. Him? 16.

And now for an update!

Black Ops Community Manager said:
Hey Wii fans,

We hope you had a great holiday season! I just got word from the Wii team that development on our latest patch has just wrapped, and we'll be submitting it to Nintendo for certification this week. Please continue to check back (in the Community Update sticky) for updates on when the patch will go live.

Thanks!
-JD

Here's an update on what the patch may include from their update thread:

IN PROGRESS

* • Explosives are not visible through walls when using Hacker perk.
* • Ninja perk is ineffective at times.
* • Additional sound mix tuning for Ninja Pro users - increased ranges and volume of enemy footsteps, and removed player footstep sounds
on concrete material types.
* • Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will be ensured one-shot kill headshots.
* • Added a negative influencer to all spawn points to decrease the chances of spawning near an enemy. This will further improve spawning
protection on top of previous updates.
* • Previous Map Spamming – players are currently able to vote for the previously played map an unlimited number of times
* • Incorrect Prestige Emblems appearing at certain levels
* • Sending out text messages to massive groups can cause the game to freeze
* • Demolition – getting a loss registered despite earning a win
* • Some players experiencing crashes when viewing leaderboards with a high number of Allies
* • Stuck in spawn spot in Cracked
* • Voice Chat breaks up at times
* • More reported cases of "unbound" controls
* • Second Chance "invincible glitch"
* • Several fixes that should improve performance/lag for host and client
* • Shorter spawn-in (black screen) times in MP matches
* • Zombie Legs - create-a-crawler

It will not include Second Chance adjustments that are an ongoing debate with Vahn at the official forums.

Awesome news and game.

What is your favorite gun people? I was using famas now ak47. This is the first game where I am playing online multilayer. It is easy to pick and play and fun. community is also strong. What perks are you using?

Also some people are way too good.

insin

Neo Member
I still haven't seen any headsets on the UK high street, which is pissing me off now that US members of my clan are picking them up.
SoulPlaya said:

Personally, I go with the untweaked Professional preset, as I ended up settling on the same preset for CoD: Reflex last year. It's very quick indeed, but not as madman as the most sensitive preset. You will get destroyed if you're using a CC.

crazy monkey said:
Awesome news and game.

What is your favorite gun people? I was using famas now ak47. This is the first game where I am playing online multilayer. It is easy to pick and play and fun. community is also strong. What perks are you using?
If you're into run and gun, this is hard to beat:

AK74u with Rapid Fire
Strela
Lightweight Pro
Steady Aim Pro
Marathon Pro

insin said:
I still haven't seen any headsets on the UK high street, which is pissing me off now that US members of my clan are picking them up.

Personally, I go with the untweaked Professional preset, as I ended up settling on the same preset for CoD: Reflex last year. It's very quick indeed, but not as madman as the most sensitive preset. You will get destroyed if you're using a CC.

If you're into run and gun, this is hard to beat:

AK74u with Rapid Fire
Strela
Lightweight Pro
Steady Aim Pro
Marathon Pro

ya I have seen so many people with this gun. I suck at the game but I still like it. one or two times in a week I come in top 3 :lol

Disguises

Patch is live :)
JD2020 said:
01/25/11
• Explosives are not visible through walls when using Hacker perk.
• Ninja perk is ineffective at times.
• Additional sound mix tuning for Ninja Pro users - increased ranges and volume of enemy footsteps, and removed player footstep sounds
on concrete material types.
• Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will be ensured one-shot kill headshots.
• Added a negative influencer to all spawn points to decrease the chances of spawning near an enemy. This will further improve spawning
protection on top of previous updates.
• Previous Map Spamming – players are currently able to vote for the previously played map an unlimited number of times
• Incorrect Prestige Emblems appearing at certain levels
• Sending out text messages to massive groups can cause the game to freeze
• Demolition – getting a loss registered despite earning a win
• Some players experiencing crashes when viewing leaderboards with a high number of Allies
• Stuck in spawn spot in Cracked
• Voice Chat breaks up at times
• More reported cases of "unbound" controls
• Second Chance "invincible glitch"
• Several fixes that should improve performance/lag for host and client
• Shorter spawn-in (black screen) times in MP matches
• Zombie Legs - create-a-crawler
*Tests create-a-crawler*

EDIT: Also, it feels like they've made zombies easier to knife (before, they could sometimes 1-2-hit you pretty fast. Not sure if it's just me, but I'll check again. Apparently they've added song 115 into zombies. I'll confirm that too after food.

luoapp

Effect said:
So what's the hacking situation like in the Wii version? Slight, a lot, out of control, etc?

Very little. Apart from some people having way too many COD points or even negative points, I haven't see any real game-breaking hackers.

Disguises

Effect said:
So what's the hacking situation like in the Wii version? Slight, a lot, out of control, etc?
The only hacking I've experienced is on the leaderboards (hacking their kill/death ratio to get to the top....for some reason)

Ninja Dom

Wii?? Patch?? What have I missed?

I don't have the game but how do you patch Wii games? Since when could you patch Wii games? What other Wii games can be patched?

Disguises

Ninja Dom said:

I don't have the game but how do you patch Wii games? Since when could you patch Wii games? What other Wii games can be patched?
As far as I know it's just Black Ops Wii. I really applaud Treyarch for taking the Wii seriously. It happens the same way as other games I guess (log into online mode and a notice comes up asking you to download a patch and how many blocks it uses).

fernoca

Ninja Dom said:

Like every other console. :p
You get online, notifies you there's a patch, you download it.

The game also has voice chat. :p
Patch, I think this is the only game.

There are other games that have DLC expansions too. Wii's problem is mostly that there's not enough space to store the download, which is why many developers didn't even bothered. But on the basic online functions, it works. Activision, mostly with Vicarous Visions and Guitar Hero, and Treyarch with Call of Duty.

Oh!
And good news about the recent patch. Is ironic that the game didn't sold as well as other similar games in other consoles, yet sometimes i see like 10k people playing; which is more than other well known games in other consoles that sold more (which I won't name :p). So kinda shows there's an audience.

luoapp

Disguises said:
As far as I know it's just Black Ops Wii. I really applaud Treyarch for taking the Wii seriously. It happens the same way as other games I guess (log into online mode and a notice comes up asking you to download a patch and how many blocks it uses).

Yup. And Treyarch is officially the 2nd best Wii developer for me. With 3 COD games, they've done more than Retro Studio did, though I always have a soft spot for Metroid Prime games. I wish COD:BO can achieve at least 1 million sells.

fernoca said:
And good news about the recent patch. Is ironic that the game didn't sold as well as other similar games in other consoles, yet sometimes i see like 10k people playing; which is more than other well known games in other consoles that sold more (which I won't name :p). So kinda shows there's an audience.

10K? Try 20k+. That the number I've be seeing since the new year. It has a very healthy online community now.

Disguises said:
The only hacking I've experienced is on the leaderboards (hacking their kill/death ratio to get to the top....for some reason)

The game is very fun to play. I never noticed any hacking in multiplayer.

fernoca

Even better numbers. :)
I do admit that the last time I went online was early this year. But mostly because I forgot I had other games, so decided to give this one a break.

Disguises

luoapp said:
Seems the patch doesn't fix the second chance kill credit issue, a little disappointed. Oh, well.
That wasn't on the list of issues was it?

Edit: Ah yes, I see it's from a recent PS3/360 update? Guess we'll have to wait until next patch. What does it involve? Not getting the right credit for someone else killing someone in second chance or something?

luoapp

Disguises said:
That wasn't on the list of issues was it?

Well, it was fixed in PS360 update.

Edit: After the patch, the kill credit is given to the people puts the player into second chance, and the assis credit to who finishes him. It's a change of design, not bug-fixing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I played a few games recently and had no problem finding a game and saw no evidence of hacking. Game is a lot of fun, but I really need to get my aiming settings sorted.

Veal

Lonely1 said:
It works for PC? No special drivers required?
If so, what's stopping for other USB headsets to work on Wii?
Yep. It even shows up as a USB Headset for Wii. Works wonderfully on TF2.

Disguises

Veal said:
Yep. It even shows up as a USB Headset for Wii. Works wonderfully on TF2.
Hmmm...good news. Might pick one up soon.
Edit: On sale in the UK now from argos: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9296248.htm
JD2020 said:
• Shorter spawn-in (black screen) times in MP matches
Wow. They really did fix this one up good. Very little delay to spawn now. Excellent.
JD2020 said:
• Zombie Legs - create-a-crawler
Yep. Perfectly fixed too. Looks like we're getting closer to a version of the game which should have been working like this at day 1.

Edit2: Can confirm the song 115 is in Kino Der Toten now :)

fernoca

Ignored that about the headset. Have one, but barely use it because coordinating online Wii games with friends is a little difficult (for them :p). Good to know it can be used outside the Wii.

luoapp

Disguises said:

Wow. They really did fix this one up good. Very little delay to spawn now. Excellent.

Hoho, no more free new-spawn kills. :lol

Played post-patch for about four hours.

My Wii froze four times today, requiring a hard reboot. This is terrible. I had experienced freezing perhaps once every three weeks.

Spawns are sometimes better, sometimes worse. It's hard to tell there's even a difference. I had some horrible spawns on Summit.

Spawn-in black screen has been reduced, for the most part. I experienced a ten second black screen a couple of times, but less than before.

Ninja and Hacker work excellently now. A+

Lag today has been pretty bad. For myself as well as my allies. One quit out and went to Zombies to try that. I'm willing to give that a couple of days to see if maybe it's all the downloading on the network or something related to putting the patch out.

It also took me a long time to find a TDM match. Not true for the other modes.

Freezie KO said:
Played post-patch for about four hours.

My Wii froze four times today, requiring a hard reboot. This is terrible. I had experienced freezing perhaps once every three weeks.

Spawns are sometimes better, sometimes worse. It's hard to tell there's even a difference. I had some horrible spawns on Summit.

Spawn-in black screen has been reduced, for the most part. I experienced a ten second black screen a couple of times, but less than before.

Ninja and Hacker work excellently now. A+

Lag today has been pretty bad. For myself as well as my allies. One quit out and went to Zombies to try that. I'm willing to give that a couple of days to see if maybe it's all the downloading on the network or something related to putting the patch out.

It also took me a long time to find a TDM match. Not true for the other modes.

It froze on me once too and there was noticeable lag in two matches.

sk3tch

This (along with the 360/PS3/PC versions) is on sale for the next three hours in Amazon's Gold Box. Wii is $29.99 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27. I have the 360 version but after playing Goldeneye 007 last fall and being impressed with it I want to check this out. For $30 I can always trade it in for nearly that and at worst it's a free rental.

So you guys say no to the CC Pro? So use Wiimote + Nunchuk? Seems crazy to me! But I will do it. :) Any other tips?

Disguises said:
Edit: On sale in the UK now from argos: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9296248.htm
Yup, if you do get one be sure to play around with the gain/volume within windows control panel as the default is somewhat quiet (and the volume wheel on the unit as well).

Sorry I never replied. I forgot about that post, heh.

EDIT: And yeah, no special drivers required. Plug and play.

Nabs

i haven't tried black ops on the wii, but the last two treyarch ported cods played perfectly with the wiimote. i don't think i'd bother with a ccpro.

Effect

Most likely just asking for trouble. I have issue with how hard it's works the system still and the single player is worthless to me compared to so many other games, especially GoldenEye 007 Wii. The fear my drive will break is still there but I had it replaced before so I might be okay. I guess I can deal if it comes to that. However I found a used copy cheap enough, just under or at $30 on Amazon.com with free shipping, that I can justify rebuying the game just for the online multiplayer aspects. Had to jump at that since that wouldn't have stayed long. I've been playing Goldeneye 007 more and want a bit more variety to go along with it and I'm tired of sitting at my PC just to play Bad Company 2 (still enjoy it, close to level 30, but it's gotten old). I guess I'm jumping in the fire with this but oh well. I don't have Xbox Live Gold and with the issue surrounding the PS3 and PC versions I wasn't going to consider those.

Effect

Has anyone noticed that the game simply controls differently when in single player compared to online multiplayer? Things seem slower and somewhat sluggish online. Even with aim assist off I'm able to aquire targets much quicker offline. Is this due to the internet connection?

Effect said:
Has anyone noticed that the game simply controls differently when in single player compared to online multiplayer? Things seem slower and somewhat sluggish online. Even with aim assist off I'm able to aquire targets much quicker offline. Is this due to the internet connection?

I think it is fine may be it is turning speed rate , internet or something. honestly i stopped playing single player after helicopter mission.
This is my first COD and I hated that i did not know not to prestige. There is no benefit and i lost all the things i had.

Effect

crazy monkey said:
I think it is fine may be it is turning speed rate , internet or something. honestly i stopped playing single player after helicopter mission.
This is my first COD and I hated that i did not know not to prestige. There is no benefit and i lost all the things i had.
It might be the connection in the end it seems. Some games last night ran really well but others were a bit more sluggish. I had my Wii in my routers DMZ but after switching the connection to more automatic settings things seem to improve. Weird. Still even on the better games things feel different compared to the single player.

Was curious about prestige as well. I know you get access to that mode. So I might do it once for that to see what's in there. I like to use lower level guns anyway but the lose of perks might be annoying.

Zarovitch

That's my first COD on Wii, i've play the others on my 360.
So far the control is really good, better than GoldenEye, which i like.

It's just the button layout i'm not sure if i like it, i wonder if i'll not
put the melee attack on waggle.

Are you using preset button?

evangd007

Effect said:
It might be the connection in the end it seems. Some games last night ran really well but others were a bit more sluggish. I had my Wii in my routers DMZ but after switching the connection to more automatic settings things seem to improve. Weird. Still even on the better games things feel different compared to the single player.

Was curious about prestige as well. I know you get access to that mode. So I might do it once for that to see what's in there. I like to use lower level guns anyway but the lose of perks might be annoying.

The games where it felt more sluggish may be the games where you are host. Host lag is very noticeable in the Wii version. I plan to prestige for the extra loadout slots at the very least, but its a shame that the userbase is so low that the Prestige game modes will likely be barren.

luoapp

Zarovitch said:

I do not put anything on waggle, it throws off my aiming completely.

StevieP

Banned
Zarovitch said:

I've got it on the nunchuck waggle (with slightly higher sensitivity) so that I can map - to reload and + to grenade, with d-pad-down doing tactical grenades. Nunchuck waggle does not screw up my aiming (where wii remote did).

Edit: My reasons for the knife on the chuck? Feels sooooo much cooler and more visceral to stab someone to death with a brunt motion. Think Godfather: Blackhand Edition :D

Disguises

Effect said:
I've not noticed any slower controls in online - then again, I haven't played single player for a while to compare. I'll try it tonight and see...

luoapp said:
I do not put anything on waggle, it throws off my aiming completely.
I agree, only motion controlled gesture I have is nunchuck to reload (I think it's the default Wiimote setup). I find the default layout to be perfect.

Top Bottom