• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. |OT| They made Lincoln Force! Or: "Welcome to Earth!"

Gartooth

Finished the campaign last night. Really fun and enjoyable game, definitely going to try out getting some of the different subweapons since I missed so many of them from the looks of it. Should probably take a dip in multiplayer as well, but I'm afraid I will get destroyed since I'm missing things like the last boiler and secret character.

Hi, European here I have a few questions :

- Is the game hard but not unfair ?
- Does it have some new gameplay features that doesn't appear in the demo ?
- Does it have some replayability ?
- Is there a "lunatic" mode similar to Fire Emblem Awakening ?
- Is the game good ?
-
Is Ike a good unit
?

THANKS !

As I said before this is my first grid based strategy game, but I think I'm getting pretty damn good at it. I've been playing the whole game without using revives, but getting my butt kicked a lot. My approach is slow and methodical, but I managed to clear chapters 10, 11, and 12 today with little issue at all. Feels like we're nearing the end here.

Vena

- Is the game good ?
-
Is Ike a good unit
?

THANKS !

- Yes. Early levels are easy, some levels are easy to cheese with Lion, but later on in the game the level design and alien numbers force you be careful but never is the situation made unfair. (Except maybe the reinforcements spawning on top of you.)
- Yes. Characters introduce all sorts of variety and unique ways of approaching fights/encounters.
- Yes. See above.
- Yes... it gets to its own lunatic mode later on just by natural progression. The levels have their own "challenge" modes though, and you unlock Merciless Mode.
- Yes.
- Early on yes, later on no. He's locked in on his moves and secondary weapon, so he loses out on a lot of nice alternatives later on that others can use, making them overall better. He is very, very good at killing the tiny wasp enemies, though.

Taser9090

Neo Member

- Is the game good ?
-
Is Ike a good unit
?

THANKS !
-The game gets difficult in later chapters. I wouldn't say it's unfair.
-You would only want to replay this game if you're into tactics, the same reason you would want to replay Fire Emblem or Advance Wars.
-I haven't played the demo, so I can't answer that.
-There's a Merciless mode. Once you beat a chapter, you can replay it with three other modes to earn bonus medals. However, it can piss you off because there's no save points in those modes.
-Hell yeah the game's good. Go get it.

- Yes. Early levels are easy, some levels are easy to cheese with Lion, but later on in the game the level design and alien numbers force you be careful but never is the situation made unfair. (Except maybe the reinforcements spawning on top of you.)
- Yes. Characters introduce all sorts of variety and unique ways of approaching fights/encounters.
- Yes. See above.
- Yes... it gets to its own lunatic mode later on just by natural progression. The levels have their own "challenge" modes though, and you unlock Merciless Mode.
- Yes.
- Early on yes, later on no. He's locked in on his moves and secondary weapon, so he loses out on a lot of nice alternatives later on that others can use, making them overall better. He is very, very good at killing the tiny wasp enemies, though.

-The game gets difficult in later chapters. I wouldn't say it's unfair.
-You would only want to replay this game if you're into tactics, the same reason you would want to replay Fire Emblem or Advance Wars.
-I haven't played the demo, so I can't answer that.
-There's a Merciless mode. Once you beat a chapter, you can replay it with three other modes to earn bonus medals. However, it can piss you off because there's no save points in those modes.
-Hell yeah the game's good. Go get it.

Thanks ! I guess i'll get day one
too bad for ike ;(

TheMoon

- Is the game good ?
-
Is Ike a good unit
?

THANKS !

Half of those are answered in the OP.

RagnarokX

Heh, some people really don't get how the game works. They'll just repeatedly walk into my sentry turret's line of sight instead of going around cover.

Regiruler

If you're ballsy and fast enough, you can spin an opponent around to alter their blind spot if you trigger, but not get hit by, their overwatch just right and let their gaze follow you until you find cover.

I used this against the
Oz Palace
boss, but it needs a good deal of space for it to work, so it's not viable in every multiplayer scenario.

Just got to chapter
, which I assume is the final one. I'm unsettled by how easily I've cleared the last few chapters. I'm afraid I'm in for an ass kicking here.

Velcro Fly

Just got to chapter
, which I assume is the final one. I'm unsettled by how easily I've cleared the last few chapters. I'm afraid I'm in for an ass kicking here.

I imagine much of the difficulty in this game is centered around not having the tools at your disposal to deal with certain things, and that once you get all characters and most weapons/boilers it becomes a little easier.

I imagine much of the difficulty in this game is centered around not having the tools at your disposal to deal with certain things, and that once you get all characters and most weapons/boilers it becomes a little easier.

Yeah, I'm sure that's part of it. I'm new to the genre, so I just think I've gotten a lot better since I started the game. I have a better feel of when to be more aggressive and when to be more defensive, which characters work best against certain enemies/obstacles, etc. It's a great game and I can't wait to explore the genre further.

RagnarokX

I found that using the default party for every map was very effective at making sure I was adequately prepared. The only missions in which I was really overwhelmed was map 1 of mission 12 due to the lack of cover and ridiculous amount of eyestalkers.

After finishing the game, Merciless mode is like hard mode. Enemies have much higher stats and save points are completely disabled. You can't even mid-mission save let alone Restore All.

L95

After finishing the game, Merciless mode is like hard mode. Enemies have much higher stats and save points are completely disabled. You can't even mid-mission save let alone Restore All.

All the alternate modes (blind, no backtracking) disable save points.

Riposte

Not crazy hard or anything though. It's not like this game's lunatic, I've found.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am playing the demo and the "alien movement" stuff doesn't really bother me. It reminds me of HOMM or Civ or whatever. Is it materially worse in the full game? Does it get really bad and long later in the game?

L95

I am playing the demo and the "alien movement" stuff doesn't really bother me. It reminds me of HOMM or Civ or whatever. Is it materially worse in the full game? Does it get really bad and long later in the game?

Not really. At least, imo.

Velcro Fly

Missing a gear at the end of a very long mission is tough. I think I'd rather replay it right away while the terrain is fresh in my mind.

I need to break my Tiger Lilly addiction though :(

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

It's on a level-by-level basis, and often depends on the enemy type. There are a few enemies who have really drawn out animations, and are types who often get a chance to attack you multiple times each turn.

A few of the later levels honestly weren't that bad, because the enemies actually react fairly quickly.

Regiruler

Missing a gear at the end of a very long mission is tough. I think I'd rather replay it right away while the terrain is fresh in my mind.

I need to break my Tiger Lilly addiction though :(

Not really necessary. She's particularly good in some of the longer maps like Chapter 10.

Velcro Fly

Cleared chapter 6.

Some of these characters are so fragile. Being able to easily kill those flying fucks was so nice though.

Missed a gear in 6 so I'm probably going to replay it.

Still feel like the Lion is one of those characters that can carry you through the early/middle part of the game. Most of my team I try to keep together but the Lion I just wander.

So uh...
I am getting Tom Sawyer for the first time, what are my best option against Nettlers? Tiny flying things are incredibly annoying and hard to hit and apparently worth 100 medals when they splat.

Also,
maybe it's just me but it feels like Lion's required for picking up gears. Some missions have them sitting on pedestals or raised platforms, and I haven't seen anyone else that can jump or could grab items or something.

Zing

Banned
Tom can climb, and from what I understand, there is another character who can jump. Otherwise, yes, I think the first half of the game expects you to use Lion.

Rran

Finally got around to purchasing this title--I'm only a few chapters in, but totally loving it so far. While I like the idea of the Enemy Turns presentation more in theory than in practice, it hasn't bothered me too much; certainly not a game-breaking aspect, IMO.

nettlers, however, can just go and fuck right off

Velcro Fly

Missing the middle gear on chapter 6.

I have an idea where it might be but I'm not sure.

I did get the turn par quite easily. Turns out having a teammate immune to stun while basically doing nothing but stunning everything is awesome. Killed the boss on that stage in a couple turns basically by stunning repeatedly and ignoring basically everything else.

Regiruler

Starface was a much better boss than shugguth

Also, are there any bonus missions? I unlocked
A.b.e. gauntlet
but it's somewhat of a chore.

Just beat it at 35 hours. Missing a few gears unfortunately. Holy CRAP was
Starface
hard. I spent about three hours on him before giving up and using revive for the first time all game. So the ending implies DLC... Definitely looking forward to that. Pretty awesome game overall and a great introduction the genre for me.

Taser9090

Neo Member
I thought the ending implied a sequel.
The back of the comic book looked like it was advertising the newest volume of the series, like how actual comic books put that in the end to say "stay tuned for the next edition". The latest volume would be the sequel of the Code Name STEAM. But that's just my guess.

I don't know how popular this game will be in Europe and Japan, but if it's going to stay like this I don't think there will be DLC or a sequel.

L95

Just finished it myself, and the
ending implying a sequel in multiple ways (Lincoln's warp... stick and the next issue advertisement)
make me sad already, as I don't expect this game to do well :(

RagnarokX

I thought the ending implied a sequel.
The back of the comic book looked like it was advertising the newest volume of the series, like how actual comic books put that in the end to say "stay tuned for the next edition". The latest volume would be the sequel of the Code Name STEAM. But that's just my guess.

I don't know how popular this game will be in Europe and Japan, but if it's going to stay like this I don't think there will be DLC or a sequel.

Plus
all you really accomplish is destroying a shog- sorry, shugguth and a starspawn. You don't even get to go to R'lyeh and take on Cthulhu himself.

Velcro Fly

Accidentally completed mission 7 instead of getting the last gear. I had to do the whole thing again anyway since I missed one in the first part but damn did I let out a howl doing that.

Bringing Queequeg for that mission on a hunch was such a great choice. He is so OP for that mission. And when he wasn't dominating and controlling large areas of the map with his penguins I had him with a medi carbine tossing out heals.

yoshiunity

It took me a while due to college finals, but Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. beaten. This is an example of a great game that provides a great sense of challenge and refuses to hold the player's hand, requiring them to make their own decisions in order to proceed. It felt a little anti-climatic at the end in terms of challenge, but I still had fun and hope Nintendo turns this into a series as it is bursting with potential.

Somnid

I was liking this game but as I progress I'm finding the infinite respawn is a bullshit, inelegant solution to solve the strategy problem. It's poor level design in 100% of games but unfortunately I'm realizing this is the crux of the whole thing, it's simply too easy if they didn't do it, so they do it on every level. Also doesn't help that respawning enemies until the cap makes the waiting issue worse.

If they do another one they really need to think of better ways to emphasize strategy. Severely limiting healing abilities would be a good start.

Top Bottom