• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M | Review Thread

TheMoon

Any word on the multiplayer? How long until this is out on the eShop?

Should be midnight EST. So in about an hour unless I'm mistaken.

I think I'm gonna post the OT now, though. I need to go to bed.

What do you want to know about multiplayer?

jnWake

The game didn't review that bad after all. First replies to these topics are always hilarious.

If I ever get a 3DS I'll definitely get this game. The strategy games I've played from IS have all been top notch.

This game has rare cult classic written all over it.

Kinda like Valkyria when it first came out, Now its on PC and everyone loves it. Hope this gets the same treatment. (got my copy wednesday and It is very fun and great. Difficulty fluxuates quite a bit, and the enemy movement gets slow at times. Other than that, a very solid game)

Kinda like Valkyria when it first came out, Now its on PC and everyone loves it. Hope this gets the same treatment. (got my copy wednesday and It is very fun and great. Difficulty fluxuates quite a bit, and the enemy movement gets slow at times. Other than that, a very solid game)

Valkyria wasn't a smashing commercial success, but I think it's erroneous to act as though it was critically divisive. The reviews were good right out of the gate, and I remember the game having no shortage of fans here when the PS3 version released.

IGN 7.9/10

Code Name: STEAM is a good turn-based action game that poses tough choices, where one wrong move can mean doom.
■■■

Game Informer 8/10

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M has plenty to love, but it also falls short in keeping all moments thrilling and tense.

Hmmm...

Also:

Gamespot 4/10

For the record, I'm not saying that reviews are pointless and I understand these are three different people. Still doesn't make the vast gaps in their scores and opinions and less silly though.

I'm also wondering what would have pushed it over the edge to that .1 in the IGN review. That one track didn't have quite enough bass? That eagle emblem wasn't quite gold enough?

Sendou

What is even remotely silly about different people having different opinions about something?

This is a weird sentiment that seems to rear its ugly head in review threads every once in a while. It's even more prevalent with games that generally get really good reviews. You see people saying that the outlier is just doing it out of spite or to get attention. The possibility that the reviewer is just offering their honest feelings on the game isn't even mentioned. I wonder if it's in part because of Metacritic and how they assign one score for each game potentially affecting our judgement of the legitimity of invidual reviews. Whether that be subconsciously or not.

Metal B

Updated the OP. I think we can officially declare that the reviews for this game are all over the place.

The view of the game really circles around one factor: Is not having a feature, a feature? The positive reviewer acknowledge, that not having a map or a limited view, is the true challenge of the game. It makes the overwatch feature much more dangerous, since there many more blindspots and you have to be careful. You also have to position your characters to get the best view on the battlefield. The game actually wants you to split up.

I also have a theory, why Intelligent Systems chose a comic-style for the game. In the movement phase of the enemies you can keep track, where they are moving or if they are moving at all. This helps to know, if they could be in overwatch-mode, since they would have enough steam to go into it.
Since you can't see your opponents all the time, you at least can hear them. But what if, the players doesn't has the sound turn on? That's why the spell out the sound effects, which of course reminds everybody of old comic books. XIII was another game, which used the effect to help players understand the imports of a sound. This is also why, the properly didn't want to have the enemy turn to be too fast, even if there weren't moving (what could still be important hint).

WarpathDC

Polygon didn't finish the game? I never took them seriously but now I will never trust a review. Not saying the game isn't shit but finish the fucking game you are paid to review

Axass

Not finishing one mission doesn't make much of a difference. They played enough to judge the game and articulate their opinion. It's not like they played a few hours and gave up.

I honestly think the game is average from what I've seen in the demo, so I'm not that far removed from their review (they were way too harsh on it though). However a reviewer should try and see everything what they're reviewing has to offer: imagine doing a review for a movie having only seen half of it, or reviewing an album before listening to all the songs. Nobody in the entertainment world does this, only game critics get away with this, in any case he should be sorry to its readers because he didn't complete it, he should certainly not gloat about it or be a dick about it.

I was miraculously saved by review editor Arthur Gies who said I didn't have to finish it providing I'd just stop whining about it. I'm considering naming my next child after him.

So professional.
BTW why does every single stupid thing from Polygon end up being Gies or Kuchera's fault? Incredible.

I honestly think the game is average from what I've seen in the demo, so I'm not that far removed from their review (they were way too harsh on it though). However a reviewer should try and see everything what they're reviewing has to offer: imagine doing a review for a movie having only seen half of it, or reviewing an album before listening to all the songs. Nobody in the entertainment world does this, only game critics get away with this, in any case he should be sorry to its readers because he didn't complete it, he should certainly not gloat about it or be a dick about it.

So professional.
BTW why does every single stupid thing from Polygon end up being Gies or Kuchera's fault? Incredible.

I doubt there was anything in the last bit of the game that would have changed the reviewer's opinion of the game. Disliking that opinion is fine, but I don't think not completing the last mission is particularly relevant. The comparison to films is hollow as films are short and not interactive.

Nobody in the entertainment world does this, only game critics get away with this, in any case he should be sorry to its readers because he didn't complete it, he should certainly not gloat about it or be a dick about it.
It's somewhat common to read DVD / Blu-ray reviews where writers don't actually listen to audio commentaries in their entirety or (especially) watch multiple cuts of movies. Listening to an album or watching a movie rarely takes north of 25 hours, for what it's worth. :)

Honestly, I have zero problem with this particular example. He sunk 26 hours into the game, toughed it out to the next-to-last encounter, and devoted 4 hours to a miserable battle that wasn't going anywhere. Do you really think anything after that point would've turned anything around for him, or is it just on principle? He was upfront about not finishing it, after all.

I absolutely agree that it's ideal for a reviewer to finish a game, but this is kind of like berating a restaurant reviewer for not eating the last couple bites of a meal that made him want to retch.

nynt9

I doubt there was anything in the last bit of the game that would have changed the reviewer's opinion of the game. Disliking that opinion is fine, but I don't think not completing the last mission is particularly relevant. The comparison to films is hollow as films are short and not interactive.

I vehemently disagree. If you're reviewing a product it's your duty to see everything that it has to offer. Maybe not 100% the game, but at least reach some developer-intended conclusion. Without that you are not entitled to a proper opinion about the game.

You can still write a review, but I won't read your review to the end.

Sendou

I vehemently disagree. If you're reviewing a product it's your duty to see everything that it has to offer. Maybe not 100% the game, but at least reach some developer-intended conclusion. Without that you are not entitled to a proper opinion about the game.

So how did you come to a conclusion that reaching 100% is not required to properly review a game? It's still content I'd imagine most reviewers never see and thus really can't have an opinion on it.

Polygon didn't finish the game? I never took them seriously but now I will never trust a review. Not saying the game isn't shit but finish the fucking game you are paid to review

I don't see what the problem is. The review states that he didn't finish the game. It isn't like they are trying to pull a fast one. :/

I'd agree with you in most cases, but if a reviewer gets 95% through a game and doesn't finish it because of frustration, I don't much care. That person has played enough to form a basis for their opinion, which is really all what reviews are.

US Gamer had a really shitty review last year where the reviewer played like 3 hours of a game before giving up and giving it a horrible score, and that pissed me off, so I know where you are coming from.

nynt9

So how did you come to a conclusion that reaching 100% is not required to properly review a game? It's still content I'd imagine most reviewers never see and thus really can't have an opinion on it.

Most games have a minimal intended end state that is rather obvious.

TheGrue

Still don't understand how you can review a game you didn't finish

If he didn't even like it enough to want to finish it, that should tell you the score is going to be low. It's not like a game of this type is suddenly going to drastically change at the end.

Sendou

Most games have a minimal intended end state that is rather obvious.

Intended being the key word here. It doesn't mean you can't properly review a game even if you never reach it. It only becomes an issue if it's not disclosed in the review. At the end of the day it's up to you to decide what kind of importance you want to put on the review in question.

Axass

I'm not saying the ending would have changed his opinion of the game, however reviewing a game isn't only about giving a general opinion (overall positive / negative / mixed), it's also about giving information on the subject matter. If he had finished the game, he could've added something like: "the ending partially redeems the cliche story", or "the ending is subpar and obvious just like the rest of the plot". Additional informations for the reader are always a good thing.

Also, as I said, being a dick about it doesn't paint the reviewer in a very professional light.

Thoraxes

You can still write a review, but I won't read your review to the end.

I agree with this. I'd at least like a completely informed opinion on the entire game's main campaign/story mode. It's good that they disclosed this info at least.

Imagine if reviewers stopped playing MGS4 before the end missions/cutscenes of the main campaign lol

I was looking for "Didn't finish a game" in their ethics policy. Couldn't find anything.

Coins

Banned
I don't see what the big deal is. Did you have to finish Sonic Boom or Rambo to know they were shitty games?

Burai

shitonmychest57

I love this post.

You don't even read their reviews but second hand information about this one has made you so angry you'll no longer trust a site you've never read in the first place.

Riposte

Finishing the game isn't that big of an issue. What's more unbecoming is being so shitty at a game that it makes you blind with rage and still reviewing it. IGN-God Hand style.

eznark

Banned
I love this post.

You don't even read their reviews but second hand information about this one has made you so angry you'll no longer trust a site you've never read in the first place.

To be fair, he probably read at least a couple paragraphs at some point, so he gave them a fair shake.

kpaadet

I agree with this. I'd at least like a completely informed opinion on the entire game's main campaign/story mode. It's good that they disclosed this info at least.

Imagine if reviewers stopped playing MGS4 before the end missions/cutscenes of the main campaign lol
It might have been reviewed better, atleast reviewers would have avoided sitting through that last shite cutscene.

leroidys

I wasn't really too into the demo, but hearing reviewers whine about difficulty actually makes me MORE interested. Hmm.

Top Bottom