• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M | Review Thread

Velcro Fly

I feel like some of the stuff in the Gamespot review isn't even true.

I swear you could tell enemies were in overwatch based on what color their eyes are.

You don't have to sit there twiddling your thumbs during enemy phases. You can change to different part members and kinda look around a little.

A.J.

Banned
Not surprising to see the reviews are all over the place. The length of enemy turns were atrocious especially for a handheld game.

I stand by what I said. 30-40 seconds and you will probably hate it. If 30-40 seconds isn't informative enough, it's about as long as PoR but the turns in FE games in general don't feel as long because each attack cuts to a scene of the fight. It also doesn't feel as long in PoR because the physical act of movement is much faster in PoR whereas in CNS, the characters move at real-time speed.

But again, download the demo and try for yourself if you are interested in knowing for sure.

That's answer I am looking for. Will try the demo.
Thanks.

I might get this later. I liked the demo overall.

Any OT suggestions?

Steam Emblem If
Lincoln: Alien Hunter
Fourscore and a whole lot of ETs...

jrDev

Heh...Gamespot's one bad review colors the whole thread it seems. No matter how many great reviews come through, people will see what they want to see haha...

I've been playing FE and I have no problems with enemy turn speeds.

Thoraxes

Heh...Gamespot's one bad review colors the whole thread it seems. No matter how many great reviews come through, people will see what they want to see haha...

That's mostly because it's featured at the top of the thread unlike how other review threads are ordered. People always talk about the first thing they see.

CLEEK

Not surprising to see the reviews are all over the place. The length of enemy turns were atrocious especially for a handheld game.

It's crazy, especially seeing how they nailed the turn speed in Fire Emblem. Giving you speed options, including skipping them all together.

I was really hyped for this game, then the demo killed all hope. Having to wait over a minute while the enemies the other side of the map cycle through a basic animation was so annoying. It's no exaggeration to say that in each level, you spend more time waiting for the enemy turn to end than you do actually playing the damn game.

Griss

I was crazy disappointed when IntSys (one of my all-time fav devs) revealed this game, disappointed in the demo, and now disappointed in a lot of these scores.

I can't believe I'm actually going to pass on an IntSys game but here we are.

Even if the gameplay was flawless I'd still struggle with the art, music and premise, big time. It's rare that I'm so put off by art or premise but they managed it here. Abe Lincoln in a steampunk game that looks like comic books? It's like they took everything I hate in pop culture and put in in a blender. Seeing the mixed reviews is almost a relief, as now I don't feel quite so guilty about skipping it.

Advance Wars when?

EDIT: This game reminds me of FE: Shadow Dragon, in that I hate the art and it got mixed reviews. I bought that on the IntSys and Fire Emblem names alone and it was a huge mistake. Gonna trust my gut this time.

TheMoon

It's crazy, especially seeing how they nailed the turn speed in Fire Emblem. Giving you speed options, including skipping them all together.

I was really hyped for this game, then the demo killed all hope. Having to wait over a minute while the enemies the other side of the map cycle through a basic animation was so annoying. It's no exaggeration to say that in each level, you spend more time waiting for the enemy turn to end than you do actually playing the damn game.

In Fire Emblem enemy turns are insignificant. You gain nothing from seeing them, that's why they can be skipped. This is completely the opposite here. The enemy turn is vital. For one because you need to see where they go because you will never know otherwise and also because of Overwatch. "Over a minute" is not the norm, that's the longest time it can take.

The more I read reviews of this, the more of a Valkyria Chronicles vibe I'm getting from it from just about every angle (even a VC2/3 "small maps from it being a handheld game" bit).

This is very, very good news.

Nyoro SF

The more I read reviews of this, the more of a Valkyria Chronicles vibe I'm getting from it from just about every angle (even a VC2/3 "small maps from it being a handheld game" bit).

This is very, very good news.

I'd say there are "key tenets" of the VC games, very few of which appear in this STEAM title.

One humongous distinction being that Valkyria allows free movement while this game does a grid.

Teriaaaaa!

Neo Member
Eh, scored about what I expected it would, liked the demo and I want to support new IP's from Nintendo, but as far as new Nintendo IP's go, I think Splatoon looks like an overall better game then this, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how that one turns out. I wonder if this or Splatoon will sell better? but whatever I guess this isn't the thread for this.

Ponn

Banned
From what I played of the demo it seems like the enemy movement is more akin to XCOM, where all the enemies move during their turn. However, the speed feels more akin to Valkyria Chronicles so I'm going to say that you'll have no problems with S.T.E.A.M.'s turns.

Awesome thanks. I haven't been able to try the demo because I sold my 3DS last summer in anticipation of new 3DS but NA not releasing the new regular 3DS here has thrown a wrench in my plans. I will probably end up getting the new 3DS XL by the time Xenoblade comes out even though the size hurts my hands.

I'd say there are "key tenets" of the VC games, very few of which appear in this STEAM title.

One humongous distinction being that Valkyria allows free movement while this game does a grid.

Rather, it's partially the reactions to it more than its exactingly similar play mechanics and facets (like say, the music...surely Basiscape ain't that pricey).

I mean, this isn't Valkyria Chronicles 4: Nintendoes What Secan't.

CLEEK

In Fire Emblem enemy turns are insignificant. You gain nothing from seeing them, that's why they can be skipped. This is completely the opposite here. The enemy turn is vital. For one because you need to see where they go because you will never know otherwise and also because of Overwatch. "Over a minute" is not the norm, that's the longest time it can take.

Based on the demo, in many of the turns, you gain nothing from seeing enemies turns either. Because if you're not in range they don't attack, and often, don't even move. Or they are out of your field of view, so even if they do move, it makes no difference to you. Yet you still sat they, twiddling your thumbs, waiting for the blue progress bar to move at its glacial pace.

Even when the enemies do move/attack and you do need to see it, they take so fucking long to do it. The process all takes far, far longer than it needs to.

It's fucked, and is without doubt the worst piece of game design I've encountered in years and years, from a studio who I'd previously thought could do no wrong and were at the top of the game.

TheMoon

Based on the demo, in many of the turns, you gain nothing from seeing enemies turns either. Because if you're not in range they don't attack, and often, don't even move. Or they are out of your field of view, so even if they do move, it makes no difference to you. Yet you still sat they, twiddling your thumbs, waiting for the blue progress bar to move at its glacial pace.

Even when the enemies do move/attack and you do need to see it, they take so fucking long to do it. The process all takes far, far longer than it needs to.

It's fucked, and is without doubt the worst piece of game design I've encountered in years and years, from a studio who I'd previously thought could do no wrong and were at the top of the game.

Yes, obviously in the easy demo missions it's mostly useless. Thought that goes without saying.

ZeroX03

Banned
I can live with long enemy turns. I'll still pick this up, but I get to wait for GAF impressions as the release date is May here.

OuterLimits

74 so far on Metacritic with 10 positive, 2 nuetral, 1 negative. Not great, but certainly not terrible. Granted more reviews will be coming I'm sure.

Look forward to playing it. Long enemy times don't bother me, although I can see why some would get annoyed.

meppi

Well gamespot has been trash for about a decade now so there's no reason to focus on anything they say. ;)

If the people at USGamer would tear it down, then that would be a real cause of concern, at least for me.

Well gamespot has been trash for about a decade now so there's no reason to focus on anything they say. ;)

If the people at USGamer would tear it down, then that would be a real cause of concern, at least for me.

Again, don't do this. This is not a worthwhile response.

meppi

Again, don't do this. This is not a worthwhile response.

ok... :-/

edit: Ah, didn't see the previous page yet.
Not that it matters, but even if they gave the game 10/10, I would have felt the same way. Guess that's just me. Their viewpoints just never seem to gel with me.

ok... :-/

edit: Ah, didn't see the previous page yet.
Not that it matters, but even if they gave the game 10/10, I would have felt the same way. Guess that's just me. Their viewpoints just never seem to gel with me.

Sure. But even a broken clock is right twice a day. Which is why I encourage people addressing the actual points made in a review instead of just addressing the outlet. Because the latter always comes across as a lazy dismissal of a score one doesn't like as opposed to a thoughtful contribution.

A.J.

Banned

Not only that with PoV camera you end up with 2-3 minutes of staring at a box during an enemies turn. A couple times during the game I found myself on my phone playing another game just waiting. And that was when I decided against buying this game.

CLEEK

A couple times during the game I found myself on my phone playing another game just waiting. And that was when I decided against buying this game.

Exactly the same thing happened with me. Playing the demo on my train commute, then finding I was actually spending more time on my iPhone while waiting for the enemy turn to end than playing the 3DS game.

The only glimmer of hope I had was that I was play a demo, not the final product, and this design decision would be addressed in the retail game. Reviews say otherwise.

Intelligent Systems dun goofed.

Considering reviews and the small audience for this type of title, I'm considering buying it so I don't regret it later when it's impossible to find. It's an inevitability.

Vena

Sure. But even a broken clock is right twice a day. Which is why I encourage people addressing the actual points made in a review instead of just addressing the outlet. Because the latter always comes across as a lazy dismissal of a score one doesn't like as opposed to a thoughtful contribution.

What is the clock is broken on 13?!

Madouu

The only review I've watched so far is that of gametrailers and it was pretty positive, the game mechanics seem to be pretty deep and that is mainly what I am looking for. Can someone direct me to a well written negative review so that I have a more well rounded opinion?

I'm also waiting for Gamekult's impressions, some of their reviewers taste aligns a lot with mine.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wanna know how the story of the game is...I can't really tell if it's really in-depth judging by the trailers, or just a flat story with a cool premise.

Even if I don't pick up the game, I might watch the plot on YouTube if people say it has some cool stuff going for it.

Is this made by the same team that made Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and Fire Emblem Awakening?

Nope, it's made by the same team that made Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

:p

ghibli99

That's about what I was expecting after playing the demo... actually thought the scores might be a touch higher for that IS tilt.

It just didn't do anything for me personally, despite the various good ideas in there, and the art style is so bad. I'd been cautiously optimistic about it after seeing it at E3, but you know something's wrong when you have to be that way about something IS worked on.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Do we have a review from someone confirmed to be a skilled veteran in XCOM, Fire Emblem, and Valkyria Chronicles? I need someone with real insight, not just "this is weird and hard"

Top Bottom