• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M | Review Thread

Fandangox

I pretty much expect every Nintendo game releasing this year to receive divisive scores.

I expect Xenoblade to be positive at least. Zelda too if its coming this year.

Splatoon has had very good reception, but some of its online's options (or lack of thereof) may get it some criticism.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Will pick up on first sale, mostly because of faith in the devs (loved every IS game so far). Far too busy with MonHun and other games anyway

Kade

It's an IntSys strategy game and I really liked the demo aside from the enemy turn times and lack of a map. Will buy and enjoy.

30-40 seconds. You can download the demo but I'm going to tell you right now. You (specifically) are probably going to hate it.
I feel like you might have misunderstood my question, maybe I should clarify a bit: I love the FE franchise and hate Awakening. I love Path of Radiance which has long enemy turns(which is tolerable) and I would like to know how Codename Steam compare to it.

Yep. Not sure if STEAM is good or not yet but the last place I would trust is Gamespot. Look at the recent Kirby review and Zombi U review.
How about I look at majora's mask, captain toad, 3d world, or the bayonetta 2 review, oh wait, that doesn't fit

The only thing I didn't enjoy from the demo were the wait times for enemy turns. The gameplay and strategy itself was still fun. I'll probably end up picking this up but I'm so backlogged, I'm not sure if I can do it any time soon.

Why am I not surprised by GameSpot's score.

Yep. Not sure if STEAM is good or not yet but the last place I would trust is Gamespot. Look at the recent Kirby review and Zombi U review.

Please don't do this. If you think the review is off the mark, then address the criticisms of the review directly. If you honestly think that GameSpot is so beneath you that the review isn't worth addressing, then don't address it at all. This passive aggressive garbage isn't going to fly.

Gamespot isn't a single person. Try looking at the author and making a mental note that you and them may not be on the same wavelength

Tangeroo

I feel like you might have misunderstood my question, maybe I should clarify a bit: I love the FE franchise and hate Awakening. I love Path of Radiance which has long enemy turns(which is tolerable) and I would like to know how Codename Steam compare to it.

I stand by what I said. 30-40 seconds and you will probably hate it. If 30-40 seconds isn't informative enough, it's about as long as PoR but the turns in FE games in general don't feel as long because each attack cuts to a scene of the fight. It also doesn't feel as long in PoR because the physical act of movement is much faster in PoR whereas in CNS, the characters move at real-time speed.

But again, download the demo and try for yourself if you are interested in knowing for sure.

Kouriozan

I was on the fence after the demo and this is not helping me at all.
But as an IS fan, I'll have to buy it one day, anyway.

I was on the fence after the demo and this is not helping me at all.
But as an IS fan, I'll have to buy it one day, anyway.

That's kind of where I am. This is a game I was sold on the first second I HEARD about it when watching a live blog of its unveiling at E3. There's so much about it that I WANT to love it. But honestly? The demo really didn't dazzle me. I didn't walk away from it convinced that I was going to pass, but it definitely put me in a more "wait and see" mindset about it.

I was hoping for near-universal praise to get me back on the hype train. But I still sit here kind of iffy on it. Meh, I'll probably still end up buying.

I didn't like the demo, that combined with these reviews is enough to put me off from buying it. I had hoped for better from IS, but there are too many other games to play this month.

That's kind of where I am. This is a game I was sold on the first second I HEARD about it when watching a live blog of its unveiling at E3. There's so much about it that I WANT to love it. But honestly? The demo really didn't dazzle me. I didn't walk away from it convinced that I was going to pass, but it definitely put me in a more "wait and see" mindset about it.

I was hoping for near-universal praise to get me back on the hype train. But I still sit here kind of iffy on it. Meh, I'll probably still end up buying.
Yeah, I was sold on the game immediately after it was announced. I certainly didn't expect to sit here at release and not want it.

Eww, these middling-to-negative reviews are tough to read. I was really looking forward to this game, and planned on picking it up on launch day, despite having a pretty severe backlog of games already.

I think the smarter move may be to skip it for now, and come back when I may be able to get it for less than $40. I feel bad for not supporting an original Nintendo IP, but I need to be sure this game is a worthier investment of money and time than the other games in my recent library, and these reviews certainly don't read that way.

Qurupeke

I love IS and I like the genre of the game a lot but I'm not interested at all on this. And for better or worse, these have probably sealed the deal.

I'm kind of the opposite. I was really passive on its existence, but the demo sold me. I really enjoyed the mechanics and the characters, whereas the long enemy turns were just a really unfortunate bump to the overall experience.

Tangeroo

I didn't like the demo, that combined with these reviews is enough to put me off from buying it. I had hoped for better from IS, but there are too many other games to play this month.

Yeah, I was sold on the game immediately after it was announced. I certainly didn't expect to sit here at release and not want it.

Eww, these middling-to-negative reviews are tough to read. I was really looking forward to this game, and planned on picking it up on launch day, despite having a pretty severe backlog of games already.

I think the smarter move may be to skip it for now, and come back when I may be able to get it for less than $40. I feel bad for not supporting an original Nintendo IP, but I need to be sure this game is a worthier investment of money and time than the other games in my recent library, and these reviews certainly don't read that way.

I love IS and I like the genre of the game a lot but I'm not interested at all on this. And for better or worse, these have probably sealed the deal.

On the one-hand, if you didn't like the demo, you probably won't like the full-game. On the other hand, if you're basing you're decision on the idea that the reviews are middling, you do realize that the vast majority of the reviews are 8/10, right? Is it the reviews being posted in ascending order in the OP throwing you off?

On the one-hand, if you didn't like the demo, you probably won't like the full-game. On the other hand, if you're basing you're decision on the idea that the reviews are middling, you do realize that the vast majority of the reviews are 8/10, right? Is it the reviews being posted in ascending order in the OP throwing you off?

There are multiple negative reviews, and even the positive ones reinforce some of my misgivings about it.

I'm kind of the opposite. I was really passive on its existence, but the demo sold me. I really enjoyed the mechanics and the characters, whereas the long enemy turns were just a really unfortunate bump to the overall experience.

For me it was like "wait, the Fire Emblem guys are working on a steampunk game with Valkyria Chronicles-like gameplay wherein Abraham Lincoln is the founder of a team to fight an alien invasion!?" Everything about that sounded zany and awesome and like something I just needed in my life. And the demo was all right, but it just didn't grab me like I had hoped.

I was hoping it was because it was just a demo, but middling reviews aren't helping with my reservations.

Sitrus

But they all agree that the enemy turns take way too much time in general without any way to skip or at least fast forward it.

Lunar15

For me it was like "wait, the Fire Emblem guys are working on a steampunk game with Valkyria Chronicles-like gameplay wherein Abraham Lincoln is the founder of a team to fight an alien invasion!?" Everything about that sounded zany and awesome and like something I just needed in my life. And the demo was all right, but it just didn't grab me like I had hoped.

I was hoping it was because it was just a demo, but middling reviews aren't helping with my reservations.

Exact same boat. I really wanted to love the demo, and while I didn't hate it, it gave me pause. Great concept, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The reviews also reflect this.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I love IS, but the demo did little for me and the game certainly isn't good enough to have me sit around while an enemy turn computes.

Tangeroo

There are multiple negative reviews, and even the positive ones reinforce some of my misgivings about it.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/code-name-steam

There's one negative review, 2 mixed reviews and 8 positive reviews. Again, I'm not saying you should like the game (specifically, the issues with art direction and wait times are the major concerns) but if you're specifically basing it on scores, I have to disagree with you.

But they all agree that the enemy turns take way too much time in general without any way to skip or at least fast forward it.

True. It didn't bother me but I can see how it would be a dealbreaker for others. For most reviewers, it's not a dealbreaker for them either.

DaBoss

I think they should have gone for a free moving camera during the enemy turns that would you see any where as long as your characters can see it. Basically, you can see the whole map and move the camera around freely, but you won't be able to see any enemies or their movements for if your characters cannot see from their view. Of course, you would be able to see those enemies if they move into a spot in the characters' field of vision.

It wouldn't feel as limited as the current implementation. It would also be better than staring at your character while you helplessly move the camera.

I think another thing that would help would be some sort of mini-map function that marks the last place you've seen an enemy. Going by the reviews, it seems the game wants you to play carefully (the demo seemed to indicate this as well), but makes it hard to do so due to the lack of indicators of any kind.

TheMoon

Are you reading the reviews or the summaries in the OP?

Is the demo still available?

Of course.

do we know who's handling the soundtrack for this game?

Yoshito Hirano, composer of various Fire Emblem, Advance Wars and Paper Mario soundtracks!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/code-name-steam

There's one negative review, 2 mixed reviews and 8 positive reviews. Again, I'm not saying you should like the game (specifically, the issues with art direction and wait times are the major concerns) but if you're specifically basing it on scores, I have to disagree with you.

When you average them all out -- as most people do when trying to arrive at the consensus -- the current Metacritic score is 73. That's middling. It's not controversial to assert that the reviews are mixed right now.

Mind you, it's early. There's only ~10 reviews in the OP right now. So, the average can move in any direction.

Swamped

Banned
Hmmm I'm really conflicted. This was never a day 1 game for me but i was planning on getting it down the road. The demo was certainly fun in my opinion, and i thought the game looked nice, so i don't get the'low production value' comments. And i like challenging srpgs so I'm definitely leaning more towards one side of the fence than the other. Still, I'll wait a little longer to buy one, if it ever mythically goes on sale.

RM8

Ouch. Well, I absolutely loved the demo, but I guess this won't be a fan favorite.

Edit: 73 on Metacritic is not a disaster, actually.

Corgi

Banned
even the positive score reviews have pretty polarizing review in the text.

I feel like people probably should put a wiimote strap on this. I can't imagine the frustration for a game with 1+min long AI turns and you lose the mission and have to redo it.

Tangeroo

When you average them all out -- as most people do when trying to arrive at the consensus -- the current Metacritic score is 73. That's middling. It's not controversial to assert that the reviews are mixed right now.

Mind you, it's early. There's only ~10 reviews in the OP right now. So, the average can move in any direction.

The people I'm quoting are talking about specific individual reviews that are middling/negative and the idea that a significant portion of the reviews are middling/negative, not that the overall Metacritic is a 73 (which again, is due in large part to Gamespot's review of 40). I'm asserting that this idea is likely derived from the fact that the OP decided to post the reviews in ascending order which is contrary to just about every other review thread on GAF.

I'm not saying that they need to like the game. I just hope that they haven't ignored the majority of reviews which happen to be 8+ because of the weird way the reviews are ordered in the OP.

I highly recommend that people watch the GameXplain review because it actually goes fairly in-depth in breaking down the gameplay mechanics.

RagnarokX

I wasn't interested in this game at all until I played the demo. The only real problem I had was the enemy movement phases. Really they should have made it so that an enemy's movements take up no time unless you can see them.

Loved the demo enough that I'm not the least bit dissuaded. The reportedly punishing difficulty curve is a plus. The recent experience of being copiously rewarded for ignoring the mixed reviews for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is still fresh in my mind.

Shauni

The mixed reviews are disappointing, but I really enjoyed the demo and think I'm still going to pick up. The only thing that I really disliked is the enemy turns, that was awful

Top Bottom