• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M | Review Thread

I'm surprised by how little I'm interested in it. I even enjoyed Super Paper Mario and Fire Emblem Awakening, so I'm not one of those people who dislike modern IS. Something about this one just didn't fly when I tried the demo.

How have the new IPs been reviewing so far? Any broken 80 so far?

Splatoon carries the hope.

Define new. Rhythm Heaven and Elite Beat Agents both rated well (2008 and 2006 respectively). Hotel Dusk in 2007 is about an 80 overall. Pushmo scored over 90, and was the big thing for the 3DS before 3D Land. Xenoblade obviously stands as a big new IP for Nintendo, ratings-wise. While it's not strictly a new IP, Sin and Punishment: Star Successor rated very well, and was for many the first game they played of it due to its predecessor's lack of localization. Maboshi's Arcade rated an 85, but I don't know much about it. Fluidity did pretty well too in the reviews. Drill Dozer got an 81, and then some other games rated pretty well.

Axass

That's kind of where I am. This is a game I was sold on the first second I HEARD about it when watching a live blog of its unveiling at E3. There's so much about it that I WANT to love it. But honestly? The demo really didn't dazzle me. I didn't walk away from it convinced that I was going to pass, but it definitely put me in a more "wait and see" mindset about it.

I was hoping for near-universal praise to get me back on the hype train. But I still sit here kind of iffy on it. Meh, I'll probably still end up buying.

Pretty much, aside from the fact I'm not sure if I'm going to eventually buy it.

Fact is the game (as far as the demo goes) is far from being bad, however it's nothing exceptional gameplay-wise, and definitely below IntSys standards, especially in regards to presentation. If the setting and artstyle were better, at least the game would be overall more rounded and complete as a product.

ChrisD

I was really interested in the game, then the slow enemy phase thing happened. I am baffled the same issue remains in the full game.

I don't know if I have the patience for minute long loading screens in a Tactics game.

I actually don't mind the long enemy turn time, just something about this game doesn't grab me. I feel like Nintendo's first-half 2015 lineup on both systems is incredibly weak, but I'm glad I ended up loving Monster Hunter.

It's funny, I actually would have gotten this game if it were n3DS-enhanced, though. Make me feel like I upgraded for a good reason beyond better MH4 textures.

I actually don't mind the long enemy turn time, just something about this game doesn't grab me. I feel like Nintendo's first-half 2015 lineup on both systems is incredibly weak, but I'm glad I ended up loving Monster Hunter.

It's funny, I actually would have gotten this game if it were n3DS-enhanced, though. Make me feel like I upgraded for a good reason beyond better MH4 textures.

C-Stick camera controls aren't enough of an upgrade for you!?

NateDrake

That's going to trip some people up I think. Playing the mission not the map. We're playing from the point of view we are for a reason.

I agree. You can't go into this game expecting VC or an Xcom like experience where the emphasis is kill all foes. Instead you need to play the mission to advance. It will take time to adjust to for some (hell, it did for me because I played it like a standard strategy game at first and wanted to destroy everything in my path so I could coast to the goal, but that isn't what this game is about).

mjc

I kind of expected these kind of reviews. (Polarizing) I couldn't get enough of the demo, especially once you unlock the full squad to replay maps with. Enemy turn length could be an issue sometimes, but it didn't really bother me.

Xemnas89

Seems like the scores are all over the place. I enjoyed the demo so I'll pick this up when I can. Wish the enemy turns didn't last as long but it didn't bother me too much.

Velcro Fly

I'm not feeling well but I feel like I should read the Gamespot review on the off chance I can derive some humor from it.

My game shipped from Best Buy today. Should get it by Friday since they always are so good about release date delivery.

Read a few reviews at work and it seems like the things the game does well people love, but the flaws are either easily overlooked or ruin the game depending on how much you enjoy the complete package.

NEO0MJ

Ouch, that GS review. Gonna wait on Gaf impressions for this one, even though it looks like I'll be buying it anyway. Don't fail me, IS!

Who

Banned
I agree that this should have been an advanced wars reboot with vehicles, tanks, planes etc.

Oh well

lt519

what is a niche score

Just saying that niche genres tend to have polarizing reviews. In this case it's a difficult game and has a niche theme on top of having a niche genre. Just not suprising to see some love it and some hate it. Granted with severe technical problems your ceiling will always be around 8/10 but hopefully they can be patched out.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The divisive issue seems to be the wait between turns, which seems to be a necessary evil, because in later, harder, levels, the enemy will give away "essential location tells" during this segment.

That's kind of where I am. This is a game I was sold on the first second I HEARD about it when watching a live blog of its unveiling at E3. There's so much about it that I WANT to love it. But honestly? The demo really didn't dazzle me. I didn't walk away from it convinced that I was going to pass, but it definitely put me in a more "wait and see" mindset about it.

I was hoping for near-universal praise to get me back on the hype train. But I still sit here kind of iffy on it. Meh, I'll probably still end up buying.

This is my *exact* position, but reservations were mostly in regard to the art direction. I think the game is ugly as sin, but I'd look past this if the reviews were glowing.

I still may bite. :/

Ponn

Banned
The mixed reviews really aren't surprising to me. I feel Valkyria Chronicles was notoriously a decisive game with people liking it or hating it but it was my game of last gen. I'm still hyped for this game with the game mechanics and style.

TheBear

This 'long enemy turn' issue intrigues me. Are the long enemy turns substantially longer than say XCOM or Valkyria Chronicles?

This 'long enemy turn' issue intrigues me. Are the long enemy turns substantially longer than say XCOM or Valkyria Chronicles?

Yes. You can't skip the enemy turn with Valkyria Chronicles and it takes a while for the AI to make its move, especially when the AI has about 20 move points. XCOM goes a bit faster since there are less enemies on screen at one time, but you can't skip the enemy move either.

Ponn

Banned
Yes. You can't skip the enemy turn with Valkyria Chronicles and it takes a while for the AI to make its move, especially when the AI has about 20 move points. XCOM goes a bit faster since there are less enemies on screen at one time, but you can't skip the enemy move either.

I'm kind of confused, so they are longer then X-com's but what about Valkyria Chronicles? Same, shorter or longer? I had no problem with Valkyria Chronicles turns.

massoluk

Banned
How the hell is this game "divisive" or "getting mixed review"? I don't understand this thread.
TqZ6Y2q.png

At best it's way too early to call.

TheMoon

How the hell is this game "divisive" or "getting mixed review"? I don't understand this thread.
TqZ6Y2q.png

Because the 4/10 at the top colors everyone's impressions right out the gate, no matter how many 8s there are. There are clearly flaws but as long as you lead with "ugh, this is garbage" then every bit of praise that follows just serves to dig you out of the shithole a bit and once you've been in the shithole the stank is gonna stick.

60s to low 70s been considered mixed for the past decade?

That's the average score. The game is getting generally positive reviews with a minority of mixed reviews and exactly one bad review.

Wanderer5

Looks pretty mixed, but guess I glad I just stick with Monster Hunter 4 lol even through I LOVE steampunk. I doubt I would have gotten into this game sadly either way.

Lunar15

Because the 4/10 at the top colors everyone's impressions right out the gate, no matter how many 8s there are. There are clearly flaws but as long as you lead with "ugh, this is garbage" then every bit of praise that follows just serves to dig you out of the shithole a bit and once you've been in the shithole the stank is gonna stick.

That's the average score. The game is getting generally positive reviews with a minority of mixed reviews and exactly one bad review.

The reviews are certainly not garbage, but even the more glowing ones paint some pictures that I can easily see as big turn offs to people. I'd say "mixed" is an appropriate label right now.

As for people picking reviews that they agree with and sticking with those, well... welcome to review threads.

It is n3DS enhanced. It supports the c-Stick and you can scan Fire Emblem amiibos to unlock those characters in the game.

I'm kind of confused, so they are longer then X-com's but what about Valkyria Chronicles? Same, shorter or longer? I had no problem with Valkyria Chronicles turns.

From what I played of the demo it seems like the enemy movement is more akin to XCOM, where all the enemies move during their turn. However, the speed feels more akin to Valkyria Chronicles so I'm going to say that you'll have no problems with S.T.E.A.M.'s turns.

Top Bottom