• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty Says White Supremacy/Racism Doesn't Exist Because Asians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Reminder that nobody in the games industry checked this guy all these years.
kermittqssc.png

entremet

I guess he's not aware of the Bamboo Ceiling (not my term)

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/11/cracking-the-bamboo-ceiling/380800/

The fact is, Asian Americans, male and female, do face challenges not unlike those faced by women writ large, in that they are better-educated than many of their colleagues but do not advance as fast or as high. According to a 2011 study by the Center for Talent Innovation, Asian Americans are far more likely to have a college degree than the average person, and while they make up just 5 percent of the population, they constitute 18 percent of the student body at Harvard and 24 percent at Stanford. They have little trouble getting hired, but the picture changes as they move toward senior management; despite their numbers and achievement level, Asian Americans account for just 1.4 percent of Fortune 500 CEOs and 1.9 percent of corporate officers overall. According to the study, 63 percent of Asian men feel stalled in their careers, a higher rate than what's reported among African American, Hispanic, or Caucasian men.

Even at tech companies—which are stereotypically hospitable to Asians—they are notably absent at the top. ”This is definitely something I think about," says Carrie Fei, a member of Feng's Lean In Circle who aspires to work as a tech executive but sees that function as typically ”very, very white-dominated and male-dominated." She participated in a pilot circle while working at Facebook; before that, at Intel, she had attempted to fit in by joining a fantasy-football league: ”I definitely had to put myself out there." Only 28 percent of Asian Americans say they are comfortable ”being themselves" at work, compared with roughly 40 percent of other American workers.

I actually like Colin, although I disagree with almost everything he says lol. But his thinking can be very black and white, lacking nuance.

Future

Why can’t the term “I’m expressing my opinion” or equivalent always be used for good. It’s always someone saying pure or borderline racist shit.

jayu26

I honestly think that when he was at IGN he was only conservative in the economic sense and that is why he supported Republicans. I disagreed with him on those issues as well but he never seem like a racist. Something or someone has changed him for the worst. Or he was always like this and hid it very well.

Valtýr

Even with his follow up, I don't understand his argument. Is he arguing that white supremacy doesn't exist? That neo-Nazis don't exist? I genuinely don't understand his point.

White supremacy as a concept isn't predicated on whites literally being the best race or actually successfully oppressing all around them.

There isn't a "gotcha clause" where a group manages to rise above the oppression and thus the oppression doesn't exist. They succeed in spite of the oppression.

Oh for fucks sake. I'm reading more of the thread and this guys doesn't understand that racism isn't some giant blanket thing. There are degrees. He's intentionally being obtuse to defend a stupid fucking statement he put out. How the fuck did this guy get internet famous?

aeolist

Banned
Why can’t the term “I’m expressing my opinion” or equivalent always be used for good. It’s always someone saying pure or borderline racist shit.

because when the only defense you have for something you've said is that nobody can stop you from saying it you're already in a bad spot

If exposing his wretched opinions to more people helps some of his supporters/followers grow more educated about him, then I think threads like this one are worthwhile.

His followers already know his opinions. You're just exposing him to new alt-right douche bags who are going to be like "that dude is right. I'm really not a racist". This thread does nothing outside of helping Colin to gain new followers, and there is nothing worthwhile about that. Hopefully will get locked soon.

breakfuss

This sort of fucking idiocy shouldn’t be dignified with a response. I’ve always said I didn’t like the guy, even back at IGN.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ess-was-not-education/?utm_term=.e15958f0dfa6

I love how the far-right trots this argument out without any research when it is 1) Old as fuck 2) Actually proves racial-discrimination IS the primary thing holding afrian-americans back in society because a dismantling of racism towards asian-americans is the primary reason for their upward mobility.

The fucking myth of the studious Asian who is close to their family helped them attain a "whiteness" in the 1960s in the view of white-America that was used as a counter-point to the civil rights movement. Asian-Americans overcame discrimination because racist assholes like this used them as a weapon against black americans and held them up as "having traditional values" so they could point at African-Americans as lazy and looking for a hand out while these other people boot-strapped themselves out of poverty.

Vinc

Ok so what was the point of his post?

I feel like he does that a lot these days. Then his defense is basically "I wasn't trying to say anything controversial! I was making a super obvious point that doesn't need to be made!"

I can't figure the guy out. I was a fan of his gaming talk, but now he just spews obvious hot takes, then defends himself by saying they weren't actually hot takes.

"I just meant to compliment asians!"
"I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, just that not absolutely everyone and everything is a white supremacist at all times!"

lol... please...

Thanks for the hot take though, I'm sure it's all in an effort to better the world and be good to people. Just like that women's day joke was all in good fun and meant to be nothing more than a joke with absolutely no ill-intent!

I don't understand how his co-hosts didn't check him hard multiple times.

His language and "opinion" are stupid and dangerous, and I don't see how he could have kept them to himself.

Lol at the poor saps paying for his videos to get dog whistles and wikipedia tier research. I see bigotry is still profitable.

His followers already know his opinions. You're just exposing him to new alt-right douche bags who are going to be like "that dude is right. I'm really not a racist". This thread does nothing outside of helping Colin to gain new followers, and there is nothing worthwhile about that. Hopefully will get locked soon.

That's absurd. His followers don't know all of his opinions, or there wouldn't be such shock and division on his Reddit, and he wouldn't have gotten such support on this very forum in the past. To imply that no one can change their opinion of someone as they learn more about their beliefs is just silly.

Dynomutt

Reminder that nobody in the games industry checked this guy all these years.
kermittqssc.png

Everyday people are showing that they're asses more and more.

A local talk jock who used to be one of the top hip hop radio show host back in the day is now a alt-right tiki torch waving Trump speech horn. It's crazy.

Is he sill making bank off of the backs of spiteful Patreon backers who wanted to stick it up to the liberuls that kicked him out of KFG?

lol modbot is going to make a rule that Colin "Asians do well so white supremacy doesn't exist" Moriarty can't have threads made about him until he publishes another gaming article. Since this idiot is only going to continue to reveal his bigoted views as time goes on.

LiK

As an Asian-American, I have to say Colin has absolutely no fucking idea what he's talking about.

That's absurd. His followers don't know all of his opinions, or there wouldn't be such shock and division on his Reddit, and he wouldn't have gotten such support on this very forum in the past. To imply that no one can change their opinion of someone as they learn more about their beliefs is just silly.

There is no way his "followers", (ie. People that follow what he says/his opinions/videos/twitter, etc), don't know what his opinions are...if they don't, they're not his followers. I guess we could have a thread about every racist assholes opinions, just so other people are made aware of those opinions, but then this board basically just becomes some alt-right message board. Best to keep those kind of people the hell away imo.

vypek

Is he sill making bank off of the backs of spiteful Patreon backers who wanted to stick it up to the liberuls that kicked him out of KFG?

He hid the amount but he is probably still making quite a lot. It looks like the number of people has at least dropped since I last checked.

Nabs

He is, but I think he hid the number. It is the end of the month, so maybe he's signalling his racist alt-right buddies to join up now. Just sayin'.

phanphare

Banned
racial oppression in america? nah, asians. checkmate libruls.

jesus this guy's an idiot. I feel like a damn fool for even entertaining his gaming takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom