• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty Says White Supremacy/Racism Doesn't Exist Because Asians

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ess-was-not-education/?utm_term=.e15958f0dfa6

I love how the far-right trots this argument out without any research when it is 1) Old as fuck 2) Actually proves racial-discrimination IS the primary thing holding afrian-americans back in society because a dismantling of racism towards asian-americans is the primary reason for their upward mobility.

The fucking myth of the studious Asian who is close to their family helped them attain a "whiteness" in the 1960s in the view of white-America that was used as a counter-point to the civil rights movement. Asian-Americans overcame discrimination because racist assholes like this used them as a weapon against black americans and held them up as "having traditional values" so they could point at African-Americans as lazy and looking for a hand out while these other people boot-strapped themselves out of poverty.

It also helps a fuck ton when you can immigrate with economic wealth instead being dragged over into slavery.

But let's forget that tiny tiny major piece of history to prove my point real quick.

Oh for fucks sake. I'm reading more of the thread and this guys doesn't understand that racism isn't some giant blanket thing. There are degrees. He's intentionally being obtuse to defend a stupid fucking statement he put out. How the fuck did this guy get internet famous?

By being best friends with Greg Miller

mattp

wanna give props to bob and henry from retronauts for consistently calling colin out on his fucking bullshit all the time

it's also great entertainment

kadotsu

Banned
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ess-was-not-education/?utm_term=.e15958f0dfa6

I love how the far-right trots this argument out without any research [...].

It isn't about the substance of the argument. It is about getting reactions from angered commenters that can swiftly be taken down by some middle school debate techniques. Never respond, just signal boost the voices of individuals that can give a genuine account of their experiences as an asian-american.

Mahonay

Banned
This guy is a loser, full of the dumbest commentary imaginable. A blight and embarrassment on the gaming industry. Go away, Colin. No one cares about your stupid fucking hot takes.

MKIL65

2mbe2Z8.gif

Shithead racist proves to be a shithead. What a shocker.

Is he sill making bank off of the backs of spiteful Patreon backers who wanted to stick it up to the liberuls that kicked him out of KFG?

E25c.png

His Patreon has dropped significantly almost every week since it's creation. He disabled his earnings tracking back in June. Still has a ton of Patrons though; like 4,800. Well off of his high of close to 7,000 though.

wandering

Banned
It also helps a fuck ton when you can immigrate with economic wealth instead being dragged over into slavery.

But let's forget that tiny tiny major piece of history to prove my point real quick.

I mean to be clear, plenty of Asian Americans have a history of poverty, but that gets glossed over by the big numbers. IIRC Asian Americans have the largest wealth disparity of any demographic.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
He will never get another job in video games making comments like this, so he better hope that patreon lasts for like the rest of his life

mattp

hes gotten more and more brazen with his shitty opinions since going solo
gotta keep that new fanbase happy. (aka gamergate altright dorks)

How the fuck does Asian Americans doing well in this country have any affect on there being no racism against Black people and other ethnicities?

Like this argument makes zero fucking sense

Ploid 3.0

Why the fuck do people listen to this clown? He got canned from kinda funny because of his backwards ass thought process and this is just another example of this. Just because one minority may do better than one that has 400 years of slavery and systemic racism against them doesn't mean racism doesn't exist. Stop giving this guy attention.

Wtf is up with all these youtubers being alt right idiots?

Didn't he get a gig at one of the Fox news guys shows or something? Maybe he's trying to get at a desk beside that crazy Tomi person. The crazier you act on social media, the more likely you will end up at a high paying gig to spread crap to crazy people.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
It isn't about the substance of the argument. It is about getting reactions from angered commenters that can swiftly be taken down by some middle school debate techniques. Never respond, just signal boost the voices of individuals that can give a genuine account of their experiences as an asian-american.

No, obviously. But I have had some "libertarians" trot this particular argument out in real life. And it's always some white racist guy who is using one minority group as a weapon against another minority group to prove that the "good ones" did it by their boot straps so the "bad ones" should just stop complaining. Then generally throw in how government programs are actually the reason black Americans have stayed lazy and poor.

So, I wound up doing a lot of research so that when some asshole friend of a friend at a party decides to throw this out there I can detonate a fact-bomb and shut them down.

I do enjoy the "let me be real racist to prove that racism doesn't exist" that gets ignored on the face of making this stupid argument.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
E25c.png

His Patreon has dropped significantly almost every week since it's creation. He disabled his earnings tracking back in June. Still has a ton of Patrons though; like 4,800. Well off of his high of close to 7,000 though.
I wonder how much it burns these right-wing faux-intellectuals that Chapo’s Patreon completely eclipses them and has only gone from strength to strength.

Gutek

How the fuck does Asian Americans doing well in this country have any affect on there being no racism against Black people and other ethnicities?

Like this argument makes zero fucking sense

He is saying „if there actually was white supremacy (privilege) in this country, whites would be the best off.“

oh right the Jews never have to deal with Racism or White Supremacy

great deduction Colin, it doesn't look like you're barking for attention because your patrons keep dropping or downgrading their pledges

wanna give props to bob and henry from retronauts for consistently calling colin out on his fucking bullshit all the time

Bob Mackey and Hank the Tank are great guys for angering Colin enough to make passive-aggressive comments even though he has them both blocked

Aurongel

He will never get another job in video games making comments like this, so he better hope that patreon lasts for like the rest of his life
Word. His platform has been steadily growing more and more tenuous over time. I think he did some legitimately solid work at times with IGN but he has long since ceased with putting his best foot forward in terms of his public persona. If he wants to embrace those parts of his identity then he'll only have himself to blame once his Patreon starts to run dry.

I do think he'll eventually make the jump to a right wing Brietbart-like outlet that is targeted more towards a younger, impressionable audience.

The "DEBATE ME BOB IN IRL" tweet was pretty good. It's also great watching other games press come out and defend Colin.

vypek

E25c.png

Went to this site cause it seemed interesting (and it is) but some of the patreons I saw are a little disconcerting. Lol. I should probably avoid checking out the site too much

"Forget it GAF, it's Colin."

The guy is a moron with a shit rethoric and a bunch of alt-right followers. I liked him in the Beyond days but fuck him. He's not worth talking about.

There is no way his "followers", (ie. People that follow what he says/his opinions/videos/twitter, etc), don't know what his opinions are...if they don't, they're not his followers. I guess we could have a thread about every racist assholes opinions, just so other people are made aware of those opinions, but then this board basically just becomes some alt-right message board. Best to keep those kind of people the hell away imo.

He's had videos with 50k+ views condemning Trump, defending transgender people, calling confederates traitors, supporting gun control laws, etc.. etc.. There was enough there for him to have a decent amount of left-leaning followers.

This new rant of his will undoubtedly be the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of his followers.

platocplx

Its one of the biggest myths. Asian-Americans as model minorities face their own kind of racism.

Over the next nine years, I have front row seats to a white exodus from Johns Creek, a suburb located 25miles outside of Atlanta. The majority of these white families do not relocate closer to Atlanta or to jobs elsewhere in the metro area. They move across a newly expanded four-lane road to the adjacent northern county, Forsyth, a stone’s throw from their former domiciles.

I ask our neighbors, point blank, why they are moving.

Nora’s good at math. There are too many kids here good at math. They’re affecting her self-esteem.

Asian parents take their kids for extra tutoring. It’s not fair for the “regular” kids.

The high school is too competitive. My kids won’t get into a good college because of all of the Asians.

I want my children to grow up in the real world. This is not the real world.

From This article:

https://psmag.com/news/ghosts-of-white-people-past-witnessing-white-flight-from-an-asian-ethnoburb

It would say that racism is a spectrum and just because asian americans who are one of the smaller minorities are somewhat successful. They face their own kinds of racism vs the larger minorities of brown and black. I hope to see more and more asian people come out about the racism they face.

White people still do slanted eyes with their fingers and mock Asian culture. What is he talking about? Some people refuse to be seen by Indian doctors and will go with a lesser doctor who happens to be the same skin color

Hari Seldon

I came across his channel as he was linked to some history vids that I watch. He should stick to making history stuff and drop this worthless political commentary.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The transcontinental railroad was built on Chinese blood. They were excluded from citizenship while being laborers.

See Chinese Exclusion Act.

What a dumb motherfucker this guy is.

Mahonay

Banned
I came across his channel as he was linked to some history vids that I watch. He should stick to making history stuff and drop this worthless political commentary.
For someone that's a history buff to deny white privilege is even worse. Since it's literally a core part of recent human history.

I have heard this weak "defense" before, usually in relation to arguments around The Bell Curve. But I do think white supremacy can be a bit of a misleading term. Racism as practiced in America usually takes the form of believing that black people are *inferior* and white people are *normal*, IMO. So you will find IQ racists often say "hey, I'm not racist because I think ashkenazi Jews and East Asians are genetically intellectually superior to me!" Because, again, the main motivating force in their racism is the inferiority of black people more than demonstration of their own superiority. Similarly, outlets like Breitbart are way more focused on the idea that black people and immigrants are inherently criminal rather than focusing on their own actual virtues and demonstrations of superiority.

firelogic

How did Greg Miller live with this guy for so many years? I get that we didn't get to see Colin's true face until pretty recently, but he must have been like this off the clock all the time.

daemissary

He's had videos with 50k+ views condemning Trump, defending transgender people, calling confederates traitors, supporting gun control laws, etc.. etc.. There was enough there for him to have a decent amount of left-leaning followers.

This new rant of his will undoubtedly be the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of his followers.

Yeah, I generally liked Colin for all of the things you mentioned but man....this opinion of his sure is shitty.

platocplx

The transcontinental railroad was built on Chinese blood. They were excluded from citizenship while being laborers.

See Chinese Exclusion Act.

What a dumb motherfucker this guy is.

Yup and chinese resturants have been firebombed before etc.

Yep. Typically nearly anyone who comes to this country as a minority does well, Which lends to say just how much slavery,jim crow etc has done a number on black americans. Also black people who are known to NOT from be here are treated way differently as well. Its so odd.

He’s already headed down the Ian Miles Cheong path of mindlessly blowing right-wing dogwhistles and saying the most heinous and controversial stuff he can just go get attention. The guy is a fucking clown who does not know how to speak or think for himself. Literally everything that comes out of his stupid mouth is just parroting what some other right-wing fuckhead said before him. He has nothing of value to offer to any discussion.

Blader

Colin Moriarty is an idiot and I am never not surprised that people pay attention to him in the first place. Why does anyone on Earth give a shit about the political opinions of an ex-IGN writer? Who cares?!

The only thing more miserably stupid than this guy is the flock of morons who actually give him their money.

wandering

Banned
I have heard this weak "defense" before, usually in relation to arguments around The Bell Curve. But I do think white supremacy can be a bit of a misleading term. Racism as practiced in America usually takes the form of believing that black people are *inferior* and white people are *normal*, IMO. So you will find IQ racists often say "hey, I'm not racist because I think ashkenazi Jews and East Asians are genetically intellectually superior to me!" Because, again, the main motivating force in their racism is the inferiority of black people more than demonstration of their own superiority. Similarly, outlets like Breitbart are way more focused on the idea that black people and immigrants are inherently criminal rather than focusing on their own actual virtues and demonstrations of superiority.

It does loop back around to white supremacy when the logic goes “Asians may be technically more intelligent, but they lack the creativity, charisma, and leadership qualities of whites”

The Kree

Banned
If diversity is so important to liberal whites, why do they keep fleeing ethnically diverse suburbia?

Sociologist Samuel H. Kye, the author of Segregation in Suburbia: Ethnoburbs and Spatial Attainment in the Urban Periphery, examined segregation patterns in 150 middle class metropolitan black, Hispanic, and Asian ethnoburbs from 1990 to 2010. By focusing on middle-class, as opposed to lower-class ethnoburbs, he hoped to eliminate poverty as a factor for white flight. In a phone interview, he relays that the relative economic prosperity of an ethnoburb does not diminish white people's decisions to abandon it. ”Across the board, any time you see a significant presence of minority residents, there is a near perfect predictor of exodus of white residents," he says.

While the term ”model minority" substantiates a myth about how whites value Asians, Asians are only ”model minorities" when they are small in number with minimal influence on a community. When Asians ”set the norms of academic achievement by which whites are evaluated [and] ultimately usurp those previously in place," once heralded Asian achievements are critiqued with suspicion. In a school district near Princeton, New Jersey, last December, parents claimed that the academic tutoring Asian students received outside of school resulted in the ”elementary school curriculum ... being sped up to accommodate them."

Whites often blame the demographic shift on Asian achievement instead of the forces behind it: skyrocketing college costs, with fierce competition for grants and scholarships, the excessive weight given to standardized test scores, an arguably unhealthy fixation on STEM, and the College Board, the organization that administers the Scholastic Aptitude Test and Advanced Placement exams. Little attention is given to the fact that Asians must earn anywhere from 50 to 140 points higher on the SAT to have an equal chance at college admission as whites. Or that many students are the first in their family to attend college in the United States, and, as a result, do not possess ”legacy" preferences in admissions like some of their more privileged white classmates. Moreover, not all Asians share the same education or economic advantages. Southeast Asians, particularly Hmong, Cambodians, Laotians, and Vietnamese, have far lower college attendance rates than other Asians. Only 21 percent of Hmong Americans have a high school degree compared to the U.S. average of 28 percent.

Stereotypes may also be a catalyst for white flight. In a seminal essay about discrimination against Asians in literature, Jenny Zhang writes, ”Asian American success is often presented as something of a horror — robotic, unfeeling machines psychotically hell-bent on excelling, products of abusive tiger parenting who care only about test scores and perfection, driven to succeed without even knowing why."

Indeed, Asian ambition is cast as an inherent evil. Blame, not praise, abounds. Though predominantly white school administrators, such as district superintendents and principals, design a school's curricula, white fury is directed at Asian students for taking full advantage of it.

Bust your ass to get ahead and do the right thing just to have white people find that as an excuse to run away from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom