• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty's New Playstation Podcast: Sacred Symbols (co-hosted by Chris Ray Gun)

decisions

Colin Moriarty has started a new Playstation podcast. A spiritual successor to Podcast Beyond! and PS I Love XOXO (which Moriarty hosted with Greg Miller), the podcast follows a similar format to those shows even though much of it seems subject to change, as the first episode was just posted a few days ago.

Since Colin Moriarty's departure from KF in early 2017, he and his former co-host have not been on good terms. So this time the podcast is co-hosted by YouTuber Chris Ray Gun.

Early on in the initial episode, it is stated by Moriarty that he wants the show to be open and honest, which may be a reaction to how he felt about the direction his old company, Kinda Funny, was heading in around the time he left.

The Twitter link contains links to the first episode but it is also available on most prominent podcast services such as iTunes.

---

Really happy to see Colin doing this type of show again as a longtime fan. I hope you guys will check it out, as even though it's clear there are some kinks to be worked out, I found the first episode to be super general and it's clear that the two co-hosts have a solid podcast chemistry that should only grow with time. This will join the EZA podcast as one of the few gaming podcasts I listen to weekly.

Also worth noting that the podcast was #1 under "Games & Hobbies" on iTunes for a few days. Now it's at #3, so at least the first episode was a success it seems.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

The show was OK. Not sure how I feel about Chris but he might grow on me as gone goes by.

The only major standout to be was the theme tune. That was awful beyond belief it didn't have a hook and was just felt really uninspired.

Glad to see Colin back at it though. I find most other podcasts to feel overly fake and just generally feel like the main focus is ad reads with a appetiser of actual content.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
I'll have to sub to this podcast and check it out. Really liked PS I love you but didn't really care for Colin's political leanings enough to want to listen to his other show. I really liked his thoughts concerning video games though.

Last edited:

gioGAF

I will check this out, Colin was the reason I watched/listened to those other podcasts. I hope he can continue being open and honest as I have come to expect from him. Thanks for posting this!

Bolivar687

Banned
I liked it, Colin's a great podcaster, hopefully his chemistry with Chris will improve after a few episodes.

Vawn

Banned
I'm very happy to see this. I refuse to listen to Kinda Funny after how everything went down over that stupid, harmless tweet.

Politics aside, Colin is just a better and more interesting listen than just about anyone else doing these types of podcasts.

nowhat

Really liked PS I love you but didn't really care for Colin's political leanings enough to want to listen to his other show.
<off-topic political commentary>Yeah, I feel libertarians are like communists. Perhaps well-meaning, at least passionate in what they believe in, but with idea(l)s that will just never work in real life.</off-topic political commentary>

But I quite liked him talking about games, so good luck on that front, will check this out.

CJY

Banned
Listening now.

Colin is so right, such a void was left after that KF debacle.

I’m shocked KF didn’t do another PS podcast. I just couldn’t get into game daily at al

Last edited:
I will always miss the Colin/Greg dynamic. That said, looks like each is trying to recapture the audience they split after the KF fallout. Unfortunate, PSXoxo was the best product KF had.

MayauMiao

Colin is one of my favorites who doesn't kiss ass to the so called "progressive" game journalism. He is his own man and one of the reason I listened to KindaFunnyGames (not anymore).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I enjoy Colin for his gaming opinions, even if I usually disagree with his political stances. However, what happened between him and KF has forever tarnished my view of Greg and Co. Glad to see he returns to doing Playstation-based podcasts.

bosnianpie

Great news. I've been looking for something like this since 'PS I Love You' went down the drain. Colins way of discussing works really well for podcast, I can't stand some of his competitors that laugh at fart jokes for 15 minutes. I don't know anything about Chris but I'm sure they will find common language that works well.

I can also recommend the KnockBack show Colin does with his brother. Perfect for all the 80's and 90's nostalgics out there.

TimFL

Can someone TL/DR the Greg/KF and Colin scandal? I feel left out, only heard that he left to do politics podcasts.

Toe-Knee

Can someone TL/DR the Greg/KF and Colin scandal? I feel left out, only heard that he left to do politics podcasts.

Basically they all turned against him due to a poorly timed joke and threw him to the wolves rather than standing by him.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Ill give it a listen for sure. Im unfamiliar with who his new host is but I was never fan of Greg to be honest. Greg's distaste for most Japanese made games despite being a playstation fanboy is odd to me and hindered Kinda funny discussions in my opinion.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Well that's one perspective. For his career it was poorly timed for sure.
He seems to have spring-boarded a new career off of it, so maybe not. Pretty sure he is making more dough with CLS than he was with KF.

Grinchy

Banned
He seems to have spring-boarded a new career off of it, so maybe not. Pretty sure he is making more dough with CLS than he was with KF.
I do wonder. He got his patreon up to $50K in that first month from what I saw. Then he stopped showing the monthly total after that. It would make sense for the total to decrease since many people were donating as a response to the ridiculous nature of how he lost his job, but I wonder how much it decreased. It's anyone's guess as to what he's still making from it today.

At least link the joke
C62TWFTVwAEQuTt.jpg

Isa

I've always enjoyed Colin's stuff for the most part and was sad to see him go, I don't sub to patreon but do watch his stuff on YT. I noticed the shift from historical/political vids to videogames. Sacred Symbols is nice though, and I hope it does well. The new guy seems a bit "casual" and lacking knowledge on some topics and/or games, but hopefully if he sticks around he grows a bit more. I understand Colin wanting someone younger but I'd take someone more hardcore any day.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I just want to say that i like new neogaf without that small loud group that shit posted in all colin threads.
This dude makes straight a content.
Thanks OP i am subbed

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do tell. That's just the basic gist of it that I'm aware of. Would like to know more.

The tweet has now been posted. But Colin also started to distance himself from people in the industry when he was being criticized by people on the internet. His response to some degree could be viewed as bad if not worse than the original tweet.

He even came to GAF and responded in a terrible way because he was lashing out at everyone that disagreed with him and his poorly timed tweet. PLUS......my dude hashtagging something #adaywithoutawoman by itself is going to cause a stir. But doing it during an international Woman's March that's being done by millions of people is not only tone deaf, but career suicide.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The tweet has now been posted. But Colin also started to distance himself from people in the industry when he was being criticized by people on the internet. His response to some degree could be viewed as bad if not worse than the original tweet.

He even came to GAF and responded in a terrible way because he was lashing out at everyone that disagreed with him and his poorly timed tweet. PLUS......my dude hashtagging something #adaywithoutawoman by itself is going to cause a stir. But doing it during an international Woman's March that's being done by millions of people is not only tone deaf, but career suicide.

It is a harmless joke that people took too seriously. Then again, GAF at the time was full of oversensitive children who would freak out over the most minor of issues.

mckmas8808

It is a harmless joke that people took too seriously. Then again, GAF at the time was full of oversensitive children who would freak out over the most minor of issues.

And Colin also couldn't take criticism well either. He did a terrible job explaining himself when he felt the need to. It's okay when you do something wrong, just to apologize and move on. He didn't seem to want to do even that. He tried to fight back for some crazy reason.

Hendrick's

And Colin also couldn't take criticism well either. He did a terrible job explaining himself when he felt the need to. It's okay when you do something wrong, just to apologize and move on. He didn't seem to want to do even that. He tried to fight back for some crazy reason.
Because he didn't want to give in and apologize. I mean, it's not like anyone was actually hurt by his comment, who would he be apologizing to? It was just a witch hunt, and an excuse for people with different political views to hurt someone that didn't think the same as them, in the name of "tolerance".

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Colin definitely had issues with that (though I feel he has since improved greatly), but I do not blame him for "fighting back" over such a harmless tweet. Also when you have an entire site that seems hellbent on calling you a racist/sexist/transphobic monster, I wouldn't act with much kindness to them either and fight back against such false accusations.

mckmas8808

Because he didn't want to give in and apologize. I mean, it's not like anyone was actually hurt by his comment, who would he be apologizing to? It was just a witch hunt, and an excuse for people with different political views to hurt someone that didn't think the same as them, in the name of "tolerance".

Are you only talking about physically being hurt by the comments? Because I was hurt that a guy that I liked and respected would say something as childish as that. It started to color in the type of person he was if you strip away his love for Playstation and Japanese games. It even started to mix in with his conversations about video games. That attitude was the problem, not "just" the tweet itself. It was that same terrible attitude that lead him to saying that people that didn't like the Mass Effect 3 ending and wanted it changed with all just "ENTITLED BABIES". And from there he started calling all types of people entitled for varied opinions.

Colin definitely had issues with that (though I feel he has since improved greatly), but I do not blame him for "fighting back" over such a harmless tweet. Also when you have an entire site that seems hellbent on calling you a racist/sexist/transphobic monster, I wouldn't act with much kindness to them either and fight back against such false accusations.

You can't say something is harmless, when people are telling you it was harmful. His closest friends even tried to talk to him because they were hurt too. Yet he had to fight back for his personal cause. To prove something I guess. I hope he got what he was looking for.

mckmas8808

So you are the one who needed an apology?

No not really. But any reasonable person after making a mistake should apologize once they realize that they did something wrong (even if it was relatively small). This was something that broke up the business that he created AND a close friendship.

Those reasons alone should be enough to at the minimum apologize.

When looking at the one tweet, apologizing and moving on makes the most sense for sure, but there was so much more to it that just that. He was fighting against the general outrage machine.

Hendrick's

No not really. But any reasonable person after making a mistake should apologize once they realize that they did something wrong (even if it was relatively small). This was something that broke up the business that he created AND a close friendship.

But I think that was the whole point, that it wasn't a mistake at all. It was a dumb tweet, but was it wrong? I don't see how it was.

mckmas8808

When looking at the one tweet, apologizing and moving on makes the most sense for sure, but there was so much more to it that just that. He was fighting against the general outrage machine.

First there is not "outrage machine". What you are describing are people giving opionions on the internet. At some point I hope we collectiavly as a society understand how the internet and social media has changed communication and how to understand the things that we are seeing. We haven't socially caught up to how social media has changed how many voices we hear from on a daily and weekly basis.

At some people in the future, more people will learn how to ignore people that are saying things that are silly. For some reason Colin always decided to listen to the 5 people that yelled at him, instead of the 15 people that spoke respectfully to him.

But I think that was the whole point, that it wasn't a mistake at all. It was a dumb tweet, but was it wrong? I don't see how it was.

At a minimum, it was insensitive in general just purely due to the timing of it all.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Are you only talking about physically being hurt by the comments? Because I was hurt that a guy that I liked and respected would say something as childish as that. It started to color in the type of person he was if you strip away his love for Playstation and Japanese games. It even started to mix in with his conversations about video games. That attitude was the problem, not "just" the tweet itself. It was that same terrible attitude that lead him to saying that people that didn't like the Mass Effect 3 ending and wanted it changed with all just "ENTITLED BABIES". And from there he started calling all types of people entitled for varied opinions.

You can't say something is harmless, when people are telling you it was harmful. His closest friends even tried to talk to him because they were hurt too. Yet he had to fight back for his personal cause. To prove something I guess. I hope he got what he was looking for.

When was Greg or Nick "hurt" by that tweet? It was a crappy joke that overly sensitive children got fussed over. People need to get some thicker skin. And I have to agree with Colin on the ME3 ending. I didn't like the ending, but people acting like it was the end of the world and that they should change it *were* acting like entitled children.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

Please tell me you're joking. Good grief, what the hell is happening with this country.

I'd personally be offended if he apologized for that tweet. Anyone offended over such a harmless joke has the problem, not Colin.

mckmas8808

When was Greg or Nick "hurt" by that tweet? It was a crappy joke that overly sensitive children got fussed over. People need to get some thicker skin. And I have to agree with Colin on the ME3 ending. I didn't like the ending, but people acting like it was the end of the world and that they should change it *were* acting like entitled children.

You must not have listened or read much of what Greg said during that period then. If we were overly sensitive children, then what would you call this post that I'm quoting of yours? Sounds like you are upset at people like me. Is it possible that you're overly sensitive to what I'm typing in this thread?

Please tell me you're joking. Good grief, what the hell is happening with this country.

I'd personally be offended if he apologized for that tweet. Anyone offended over such a harmless joke has the problem, not Colin.

You can't get offended at other people being offended, but then get mad at the original person that didn't like the joke. Nothing is happening to this country. We have broadband internet now. We have social media now, so you are able to read the opinions of thousands of people all in one day. In 1980 this wasn't possible. But please believe people in 1980 got offended when people said things that they didn't like. That's how societies work. I didn't want Colin beat up or anything. I simply thought what he said on Twitter was out of line. Is that really that extreme?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You must not have listened or read much of what Greg said during that period then. If we were overly sensitive children, then what would you call this post that I'm quoting of yours? Sounds like you are upset at people like me. Is it possible that you're overly sensitive to what I'm typing in this thread?

You can't get offended at other people being offended, but then get mad at the original person that didn't like the joke. Nothing is happening to this country. We have broadband internet now. We have social media now, so you are able to read the opinions of thousands of people all in one day. In 1980 this wasn't possible. But please believe people in 1980 got offended when people said things that they didn't like. That's how societies work. I didn't want Colin beat up or anything. I simply thought what he said on Twitter was out of line. Is that really that extreme?

Not upset in the least. Just baffled by the mindset that you could be offended over something so harmless.

Top Bottom