• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Collectors Editions - Are they worth it ?

ramyeon

Not at all. Whenever I have the desire to get one I always make sure to reality check myself and remind myself that it all just ends up being junk I chuck on a shelf somewhere to collect dust and will end up storing away someday anyway.

TyrantII

No.

Unless you get a physical limited print of the soundtrack and art book. I'll buy for those, but sadly very few CEs offer such luxuries

Isn't special edition usually come with something that you can't buy outside that special edition?

They mean it like, is this something you'd want to buy if it wasn't bundled with the game? If it isn't something you'd buy on its own, there probably isn't much point to shelling out extra for it.

Cost me £80 including customs charges in the end, was so worth it.

I bought an infamous gamestation 'special edition' one time. I learnt a harsh lesson that day. It was worse than the normal edition it came in just a cardboard box for fuck sake.

EDIT: found it

infamous-special.jpg
Omg was this Europe only? Never seen this.

Cathcart

Cat helmet is my eternal reminder to never buy another CE. In fact I'm all digital now because the older I get the less stuff I want to have in my house.

Blizzard ones are absolutely worth it

I buy ones for games I'm interested in and never feel ripped off

I display the statues and put art books in a dedicated bookcase.

That's the only one I would say that's not worth it because you have to throw an extra 15/mo.

Anyways, I never buy collector's, my childhood is stacked in the corner, and that's all I need to see. I rather spend it on extra DLC

The_Monk

It's all about your own tastes and if you are a collector yourself or not.

I used to be more fan of them but as time passes I realized it was something I didn't want to collect. The sort of collecting I used to like was those Steelbook cases. They are nice and have a clean style but then they become different from all the other standard cases in my collection so I stopped getting them because I also saw I was spending money on games Day one in order to have those.

Right now I like to keep a clean, minimalist place. My physical games are not in the open and the few items I have they are not too flashy or obvious. Examples like the Origami bird from Heavy Rain Limited Edition on my shelf of one of those "fake" books (where you can keep things inside) from a couple of collector's editions.

In the end nobody can say if it's worth or not because it will depend on your budget on your tastes and if you are a collector or not. In my case I like to have a tiny little something here and there but I really dislike the idea of having shelves filled with plastic, figurines, posters and so on. I still am a fan of Artbook such the ones included in games like Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Forza 4 and so on.

BibiMaghoo

"Worth it" is a value proposition that is unique to each person. What is worth it for me is not for another, and so on.

There are CE's I've bought that haven't been great, but others have for sure been worth the money. The Hitman CE for example was disliked by many, but I love the statue that came with it, and it takes pride of place by my TV and consoles. I would have bought that statue for £30 on its own.

Probably not unless you're a big fan of the game or franchise. Personally, if the special edition isn't much more expensive than the regular game and contains something cool then I'll go for it. Ni No Kuni's Wizard edition for example fits that bill. Plus it's nice that I usually tend to love stuff that seems to retain or increase in value over time. I could sell the Wizard edition for 3-5 times what I paid for it for example :p

LoveCake

It depends really, i have always got the GTA collectors/limited editions because they seem to be better value & i want the stuff that you get with them, i have the Bayonetta 2 collectors/limited edition & i have the MGSV with the bionic arm on order though.

I did get the GT5 signature edition & the physical items were ok but the game itself was dire & i felt it was poor value indeed..

If you are going to buy the game anyway & you want the 'stuff' that comes with the collectors/limited edition weather it be physical or digital content & you think it is worth the money then yes.

I wouldn't spend too much on a collectors/limited edition if it were just for digital content myself though.

cyba89

I will never buy some special edition that costs more than 10€ more than the price of standard edition.

Stuff like the 250€ Halo 5 Collectors Edition seems absolutely crazy to me.

NoKisum

Usually, I'll ask myself:

How interested am I in the game itself?
Does the collector's edition at least come with either an art book or soundtrack (preferably both)?
Is the set reasonably priced?
Is it not being shipped by Digital River?

If all these questions have really positive answers, then I'll jump on the set. I don't have many collector's editions in my library, but the ones I do have I feel were worth it.

If you got a decent statue it was definitely worth the $150. Also, the XB1 CE had two Gwent decks included for the same price, making it even better.

Bought all the CE of TLOU I could find, no regrets.

0racle

Times have changed, before they were legitimate collectors editions. Now they are always almost mass produced and its never too difficult to find one.

And what I always bfound weird was why people opened them? If its a rare collectors piece keep it sealed? That is when it may become rare and not a dime a dozen.

Besides a few months after release anyone can find the collectors edition of games on kijiji/CL opened for a fraction of the price.

Auskeek

I will absolutely buy collectors editions for games I'm really excited for, or where I really want to support the developers.

And then 4 months later, I'll decide that CEs are a massive waste of space, but as a chronic hoarder, not be able to throw them in the bin. And hence I'm left with an ever increasing pile of collectors editions.

If I'm a fan of the series and it's not too expensive for what you get then I'll usually go for a collector's edition.

It's usually for:

Final Fantasy
Forza
Gran Turismo
Halo
Some Nintendo games

However, if it's shit like the scarf that came with the Hyrule Warriors from GAME I'll give it a miss.

What really put me off buying CE for random stuff was the gun that I got with the original Bayonetta for the 360 from GAME. Absolutely fucking atrocious.

Tarrin

If I generally like/love a game, or feel it's worth it, I'll drop the extra bucks on it. A lot of em are not worth it. It's up to you to be selective.

Some CE's will remain expensive and worth it, like the Fallout 3 collectors edition I own.

Others, like Watch Dogs, I was able to buy the Collectors Edition for 30 bucks new recently.

One CE I adore (and own) is the Elder Scrolls Online one. All it is is a statue, artbook, steelbook, and ingame stuff, but the quailty of the items are wow. The artbook is worth it alone.

elder_scrolls_online.jpg

Also I love the ones that offer more than a statue/artbook combo. Metal Gear Rising might just be my fav one since I use the lamp all the time. And the OST is perfect.

Metal-Gear-Rising-Collector.jpg

In fact I'm all digital now because the older I get the less stuff I want to have in my house.

Same for me. I'm looking at some photos in this thread and thinking that there's a lot of wasted space there.

I never bought Collector's editions, due to lack of money and lack of space. I did pre-order PES 2013 at a Blockbuster in order to get a SteelBook case, which may count for some people - but the SteelBook just came in plastic wrap and a copy of the game in it's case was handed over separately. Not much ceremony there. I also bought BioShock 2 in a SteelBook, but that was £8 pre-owned, and the same price as the regular copy. No-brainer.

Don't get me wrong, SteelBooks are nice, but the way they scratch so easily put me off getting more. Statues don't appeal to me, and it all becomes clutter sooner or later anyway.

Coflash

Times have changed, before they were legitimate collectors editions. Now they are always almost mass produced and its never too difficult to find one.

I think they're just more common now, there are still tonnes of decent CEs for lesser known games. Kickstarter CEs are also going to be incredibly rare.

Cleve

Only if you are a man child with no other hobbies else there's better places to spend your money

Wow, I don't even buy many CEs and that's just incredibly snobby and judgmental. There's better places to spend any of your money than video games, or sport bikes, or audio equipment, won't stop me from buying any of those. Hobbies are hobbies, some are expensive, some are free. I guess you better stick to ones that cost nothing.

REDSLATE

Most of the Collector's Editions I've seen recently don't particularly appeal to me. I'm usually satisfied with a Steelcase and a few extras. Statues and such don't really hold much appeal for me. Conversely, the growing trend of "Digital Collector's Editions" seems laughable as there's no physical value in them.

I will say that I love the Fallout 3 Lunchbox. It's such a cool case and doubles as an actual lunchbox! Not many Collector's Editions can top that.

The last collectors edition I bought was Arkham City and it was totally worth it. That Batman statue is great.
Only if you are a man child with no other hobbies else there's better places to spend your money
There are better places to spend your money then video games themselves. I don't think you thought this comment out very well.

Duster

Last gen they were.

Wii - The ones I bought weren't that much more than a standard edition and all have gone up in value. Plus I got coins from Club Nintendo which seem to be worth £50.

PSP and DS - Usually roughly the same cost as the standard edition and some were actually cheaper, a couple have gone up in value, most have dropped a little.

PS3- Only bought the Dark Souls steelbook for £20, it's very nice and has gone up in value.

They seem to cost more this gen so I'm not so keen.

hwy_61

Banned
I usually never buy CEs, as I feel they're a waste of money and they mean more shit to clutter your life.

Then MGSV announced their CE, and it includes Snake's fucking robot arm. I gots to have that.

So, I guess they're always worth it to someone who loves the franchise a lot!

I personally have never purchased a collectors edition. The price is what usually turns me away. I did however preorder the black ops fridge edition. Which I might as well ask my question here. Is the fridge just going to have a coolant, or is it just going to be a fake fridge with a fan? I honestly can't see it being a real functional fridge with freon.

Schmitty

The first and last collectors edition I got was Halo 2 which was only 5 bucks more! I don't need the useless junk it comes with.

And this goes for CEs like Forza 6 that come with the bullshit VIP designation.

Standard edition for life

Pizza

I'll only grab them for games I'm SURE I'll like these days. Having a giant statue if Noble Team staring me down is a constant reminder of that.

Fucking Noble Team.

Anyways, GoW: Ascension's game with a sick statue and all future dlc, so that was worth it. MKX's Coarse Edition dropped down to $99 on Amazon recently, which is just $10 more than the game+kombat pack, and since the Coarse ed has that, I figured that sweet statue was worth $10.

I'm *not* getting the silly statue edition of halo 5. It's a nice statue, but not $100 worth of "nice statue" especially since its from the same manufacturer of those cool batmobile statues that everyone totally got.

I may get the middle edition: the steelbook case, req packs alone are probably going to be worth some money, and I love the physical stuff that it comes with!

I have to do a ton of research before I even consider buying the big boy edition of a game I've never played.

Edit: also that hotline Miami one is fucking sick, I bought it with the intention of framing the records and sleeve and displaying them

I rarely buy them unless I really want what it comes with, like art books, OSTs, and sometimes, in-game extras. I bought all three Mass Effect LEs for Xbox 360, because I wanted the art books they came with. I bought the Bravely Default LE for the OST. I'll also buy the LE if I have some sort of sentimental attachment to the franchise. I bought the Deus Ex: Human Revolution LE, since the original game is in my top-5 GOATs. I might buy the Persona 5 and Final Fantasy XV LEs if they come with an OST.

Chinbo37

I dont collect gaming memorabilia. I like art books but I would just buy that separately. I don't buy physical games really either unless it's Nintendo stuff

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
For those that offer something truly limited, and truly desired, then of course it's worth it. Aye it's a luxury, aye it's never really needed, but what are video games to start with if not toys for our entertainment? Thus, if if it will really make someone happy as an owner, collector, or to create memories with, why not a Collector's Edition?

The trick like so many other luxury items is simply to ensure you get what you want and will continue to appreciate. A remote control car may seem like a keen idea to start with, but if you will never use the thing as a toy of it's own, nor will you ever wish to look at it as a collector's item modelled somewhere in one's home, then I dare say it's not worth it.

Now as a concept for the gamers as a whole? I would have to say nay, it is not truly worth it. Outside of really good deals or found months/years later somehow still complete, the price of the individual parts combined vs the price of the collector's item is rarely the same. As an incentive to purchase the game it works off hype and early excitement to be sure, but rarely benefits us as players to support the idea of Collector's Editions in general.
As a business model? I honestly do not know as I've never really looked into it? Does anyone know how well these models do for Konami with Metal Gear Solid or Acctivision with Call of Duty or Warner Bros with Arkahm (Batmobile notwithstanding) and so forth? Does it spur great pre-order purchases in stores and online? Does it generate any noticeable increase in popularity or internet trending behaviour?

Personally I've only gotten a few Collector's Editions and they were for art books, often ones that never saw a re-release and I'm okay with that. I found value in looking at something I cherished and help bring back fond memories. I can't say I ever saw much appeal outside of an initial laugh for that too-small-to-fit-anyone Halo Master Chief helmet when I put a Sonic The Hedgehog hat onto it two other games my mates got.
Though I'm a collector of games themselves, and my criteria only goes as far as "is it a physical disc or cartiridge or card that works?". The rest is nice to have, but never needed.

Really depends on the CE or the individual. Myself I mainly buy CEs of RPGs as it's my fav genre specifically JRPGs and as such I have stuff like Persona 4 Golden Solid Gold Edition and I could not be happier with it. Same with most of XSEED's limited edition it really just varies. I don't feel like $100+ CEs are usually worth it for example I just couldn't see myself putting down $120 for the Tales of Xillia 2 CE then seeing the drastic drop in prices it's had solidifies that I won't even bother with Zestiria's CE.

Tigress

For me it really depends on if the game is something I am a huge fan of and if the CE is actually something pretty nifty. Though I get jealous of games I don't really care for that get nifty ones (COD's fridge one is pretty awesome imho but I've never even played COD so jealous it's not for a game I really like).

If it's just a statue I better really like that game and that statue better be of some character/thing I really like in the game (I'd probably be a sucker for anything Sephiroth related with a FFVII CE). Otherwise I find those types boring. But something like COD's fridge or the pipboy in Fallout 4 (or really any of the Fallout CE's honestly) I totally get suckered into (Well not COD but that's cause it's not even a game I know I like and I'm not a huge FPS fan). Which I'm happy cause Fallout is my favorite series (to be fair, that may be why I like all their CE's ;) ). I'd rather it come with something that is in the game that you can play with/use IRL. Even if it still would go on display.

Hell, other than Fallout's PipBoy edition, the only CE like thing I got for a game was years ago with Lunar 2 and it was a preorder bonus (really good one too). Got a nice game manual (hard cover and well done) and a Ghaleon boxing puppet (That's what I really got it for). Still have that puppet. IT's mostly displayed but I still find it cool (as I said, I want somethign that could potentially be played with/used even if most likely it will just be displayed. Just the fact that it's not just designed to be looked at makes it a lot more niftier to me).

For video games, in general no almost all of them in the past 2 years have been utter crap quality wise. Stuff like the Dragon Age CE were even worse than crap, with almost everyone getting broken pieces etc.

Still there are occasional gems for super fans. I think the CEs tend to be more trouble than they are worth for everyone involved - extra work and distraction for the dev/publisher, a pain in the ass for retailers who have to deal with extra sized boxes and shipping hassles (lots of broken return problems), and for consumers its become a bit of a nightmare with CEs selling out sometimes within minutes, mostly due to flippers who buy up vast quantities, pre-sell on eBay, and if they don't hit the profits they desire they simply cancel the preorder now screwing up the inventory systems of everyone.

The entire CE system needs to be revamped a bit so its sold only directly from publishers, shipped straight to peoples houses, only 1 per address, no cancellations, full price paid upon order, higher prices and quality, and quantities unlimited until a certain cutoff date - after all with just in time manufacturing there is no reason to only make X, if demand is Z.

Top Bottom