• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Collectors Editions - Are they worth it ?

misho8723

Banned
Not really, considering the varying quality of the statue.

She is ok (and after all, everyone in my home likes her).. but I bought this version mainly for the fantastic artbook, the steel case, necklace, physical OST, and I really love the Witcher franchise.. and don't buy many games, maybe like 2 - 3 by year - and I wanted to have atleast one CE of one of the Witcher games, because I have only the EE of W1, the standart edition of W2 (both still really worth it with many bonuses) and I like how CD Projekt RED cares about their costumers, so yeah, in my opinion this CE was totally worth it

No.

Less is more. I hate junk and clutter and useless pieces of shit that take up room. I moved 4 times in the span of a few years and it really made me get rid of stuff at a good rate. Even clothing I've learned to just get rid of by donation. Less is more

Depends on what's in the CE. Most are just easy money grabs and you have to be discerning. Don't buy a CE just because you are excited about the game. Look at what's in the CE package to determine if the value is there.

The one's with statues are the worst. They are always crappy in quality. (Because quality statutes cost minimum of $100 by themselves so they always pick the really cheap vendors who have awful quality control).

Yes and no.

I only consider them valuable when it comes to games I really, really love...

But some editions are just...bad. Give me something I can display, or a COMPLETE soundtrack. Not selected work. I hate that.

Namikaze

Usually, no. They just take up way too much space. I'm trying to sell off all of my CE besides the Zelda ones (MM, WW, SS). I don't really need any more than that and I might even sell those after a while.

I hardly think so.

Buying a collectors edition is worse than getting the Pre-Order for a game, these days.

Honestly, 10 years from now, whats going to become of that Pipboy? And ask yourselves this: Whats more douchebag-y? Google Glasses in public or wearing a Pipboy? I think collectibles can be cool, for sure, but who are you showing them off to? Other gamers? A date? 10 seconds of recognition is hardly worth the extra $100.

BibiMaghoo

I think there is also a big difference between having one or two things scattered around a non-gaming themed room or house, and buying all these things and having rows of different statues everywhere. The former adds a bit of character to a room, the latter dominates that character. People have very different ideas of what is tasteful or not though, and so while I find the former more interesting, others would be overjoyed at a room full of them. To each their own.

Pejo

I always run into this. I get suckered into buying a collectors edition, then all the physical stuff just goes in a box somewhere out of sight because video game collectables are usually kinda tacky, unless you have a specific game room. I do love the art books, but they could be .pdf files digitally and I'd like it just as much. I really need to stop buying collectors editions.

But yea I saw some great advice on the first page.

If it's an item you'd want separately, it's a good buy, if not, don't buy it. I need to remember that.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Like with anything, it depends.

I look at things like availability, price, how much love for the IP do I have and how big the limited/special/collector's edition is.

Some of mine are some of my most prized games in my collection:

RBJelDQ.jpg

Kvvzqmk.jpg

Others... I regret buying...

If it's for an IP that I love, the sky is the limit as far as how much I'm willing to spend (waitin' on those Shenmue III goodies!!). If I don't care for the IP at all, I probably wouldn't even bother buying the game in the first place. If I have mixed feelings on the IP and the non-standard edition of the game is within $40 of the price of the game and it doesn't look like it'll be atrociously large... I'll probably bite.

Generally speaking, no.

Statue? Playstation Gear, GamingHeads, Triforce (non-CE) do them better
Art book? Dark Horse, Udon, Titan, Bluecanvas, DONTNOD do them better.
Soundtrack? Video game vinyl is starting to become a thing.
Presentation? Cardboard box where everything's just crammed in.
Collector's item/limited? Most CEs get massive price drops because they're mass-produced. For what you get, the Halo Reach Legendary Edition or Crysis 2 Nano Edition were worth it. What stings? Their CEs were available for something like $40 just two months later.

I found the Bioshock 2 Special Edition was almost the perfect collector's edition. The unboxing experience was great thanks to how it was presented, everything was of premium quality (including the box itself!), and it looked classy to boot. The only flaw? It was mass-produced so it's not exactly as limited as it suggests to be.

If that won't do, then what's an example of the perfect CE?

1133056-dsc02684.jpg

deadspace4.jpg

Nowadays, how can you tell if a collector's edition is gonna be worth it? Two words: Treehouse Brand. If those guys are making it, then it's sure to be a showpiece. That being said, Square Enix and NIS America deserve a mention for producing sufficient if not essential CEs.

th4tguy

I'm almost always going to say yes, they are pointless. I did however get the order ce for 20$ off amazon and have been using the statue as a much needed bookend. It's great.

i only care about full artbooks and soundtrack cds. never buy mainstream CEs. they end up in the junk bin most of the time. nobody cares about games with yearly updates. they move on once the next hot shit comes around.

Cleve

Like with anything, it depends.

Others... I regret buying...

Destiny I regret too, but partially because so much of the "value" of the ce was wrapped up in the season pass, which was just as awful as the game. But bravely default? The game had problems at the end, but I thought it was a cool CE at least. The soundtrack, ar cards, and art book were more the stuff I like in a CE.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Depends on your perception of value. Personally, I've found that after buying about half a dozen collectors editions that they aren't worth it to me personally (at full price). Like the OP stated, stuff just generally collects dust on my shelf, but to some people that physical reminder of the game they loved is very much worth it.

Cleve

Depends on your perception of value. Personally, I've found that after buying about half a dozen collectors editions that they aren't worth it to me personally (at full price). Like the OP stated, stuff just generally collects dust on my shelf, but to some people that physical reminder of the game they loved is very much worth it.

I'll say I have bought very few CEs of games, and most of the ones I do own have been random bargain basement purchases. As an example I got the CE of prototype 2 for $12 at best buy a few months ago.

The CEs I do buy at launch have to be bundles of things I am interested in anyway, such as art books from an artist I like or, a soundtrack from a cd who's composer impresses me. Those are generally things I have seen/heard before making my purchase.

Unfortunately statues seem to be the most popular addition to things to make them "collector's editions" and those are just out for me. I don't have the space, or interest in displaying them.

Grady

Only one i own is the order. Only because i got it for 20 bucks from amazon. Will get mgsv as well. That will become a collectible its really the last mgs game by Kojima. Probably only ones i will ever buy.

Sure if you like the extras, I normally pre order the ones I like and cancel if it's still in stock right before release, since in that case it's not actually limited and will probably go down in price rapidly.

nataku

Only if they contain nice artbooks.

The dinky book I got with the Bloodborne CE wasn't worth it, for example. The Witcher 3 one was.

I couldn't care less about statues, personally. Give me an edition with just the game + artbook and I'll happily buy it.

MattyG

Banned
Depends. If I love the IP and it's got stuff I want in it, then sure. I'm happily paying $40 and $70 more for the MGSV and Fallout 4 CEs, respectively, becausw they only happen once every few years (never again for MGS ;_;) aND the stuff in them are cool. But CEs for yearly titles like CoD and AC, I can never get behind.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'll say I have bought very few CEs of games, and most of the ones I do own have been random bargain basement purchases. As an example I got the CE of prototype 2 for $12 at best buy a few months ago.

The CEs I do buy at launch have to be bundles of things I am interested in anyway, such as art books from an artist I like or, a soundtrack from a cd who's composer impresses me. Those are generally things I have seen/heard before making my purchase.

Unfortunately statues seem to be the most popular addition to things to make them "collector's editions" and those are just out for me. I don't have the space, or interest in displaying them.
Yep! I've gotten most of mine at a discount too, and they always feel better when you get them for say, half price. I liked the Max Payne Collectors edition I got for $30, pretty decent statue, but I really liked the bullet keychain, and of course the game was badass. Very much worth it, as was the AC3 collectors edition I got for $25. That thing was insane, way overboard.

GavinUK86

Yeah. I have loads of CE's and I continue to buy them. I want statues and artbooks for everything. Got cabinets and shelves full of em.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
No.

Less is more. I hate junk and clutter and useless pieces of shit that take up room. I moved 4 times in the span of a few years and it really made me get rid of stuff at a good rate. Even clothing I've learned to just get rid of by donation. Less is more

This is me. This is also the reason I'm all digital wherever possible from this point on. I've stopped caring about collector's editions of anything.

Top Bottom