• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where rankings are made up & SEC losses don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida State didn't play UNC this year. Boston College hurt them with the run, but FSU still won that game by 14. (Their closest game.)

I'd also like to add that Boston College has one of the best RB in the nation for those who don't know. So what FSU gave up in that game in terms of rushing yards is definitely an anomaly.

Kacar

Who needs forward passes when you can jsut run screens all day.

I had nightmares of Cook running out for another play action bootleg completing for 10-15 yards.
All Boyd has to do is read where Pitt Brown is and its a 1st down for sure.

Maybe with Christian Bryant the season could have ended differently.

I'll never get over Hyde getting only 18 carries.

desh

1. The preseason polls screwed Auburn in 2004 worse than any other screwing in the BCS era. I hate them, too.

This is objectively false.

• Auburn's OOC in 2004 was Lousiana Monroe, Lousiana Tech, and Citadel. They played 7 home games, 4 away games, and the SECCG
  • Oklahoma's OOC in 2004 was Bowling Green, Houston, and Oregon. They played 6 home games, 4 away games, one neutral site game, and the Big12CCG.
  • USC's OOC in 2004 was @Virginia Tech, Colorado State, @BYU, and Notre Dame. They played 6 home games and 6 away games.
  • Auburn's schedule was either weaker or not considerably more difficult than OU's or USC's schedule. They literally played no one of consequence outside of the SEC.

2001 and 2003 were bigger screw jobs than Auburn not making the national championship game in 2004. The number 1 ranked team in both polls, USC, didn't go to the championship game in 2003. And in 2001 when Oregon actually won their conference, while Nebraska got blown out by Colorado in the last week. Nebraska went instead of Oregon. Auburn not being selected in 2004 doesn't even come close.

KingGondo

Banned
Most don't think Auburn is better than Alabama but you can't rank Alabama ahead of Auburn, because that would be stupid.
I disagree. If you think Bama is better, rank them higher. This is the kind of logic that prevails in CFB circles and it drives me insane. It's the same shit that led to the BCS and that permeates current Heisman voting. Adrian Peterson didn't win the Heisman because he was a freshman, and voting for a freshman "just isn't done."

It took a miraculous play and several missed FGs by Auburn to beat Bama at home. Bama probably wins 70% of the games played at a neutral site. Bama is better than Auburn. This is exactly why we should have an expanded playoff. Having a loss like that to Auburn shouldn't disqualify any team from contending for the MNC.

desh

I disagree. If you think Bama is better, rank them higher. This is the kind of logic that prevails in CFB circles and it drives me insane. It's the same shit that led to the BCS and that permeates current Heisman voting. Adrian Peterson didn't win the Heisman because he was a freshman, and voting for a freshman "just isn't done."

It took a miraculous play and several missed FGs by Auburn to beat Bama at home. Bama probably wins 70% of the games played at a neutral site. Bama is better than Auburn. This is exactly why we should have an expanded playoff. Having a loss like that to Auburn shouldn't disqualify any team from contending for the MNC.

Yeah, it should. Alabama lost. If they were deserving of going to the MNC then they would have won. The best teams don't always win the championship. You still have to actually win the games.

If there was a 4 team playoff this year, I would not like to see Alabama in it. I would rather see FSU, Auburn, MSU, and Baylor (maybe Stanford, but they lost to Utah). Winning your conference should mean something.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, it should. Alabama lost. If they were deserving of going to the MNC then they would have won. The best teams don't always win the championship. You still have to actually win the games.

If there was a 4 team playoff this year, I would not like to see Alabama in it. I would rather see FSU, Auburn, MSU, and Baylor (maybe Stanford, but they lost to Utah). Winning your conference should mean something.
This is why we need an 8-team playoff. Teams can skate by on easy schedules (like FSU) and have a chance at a title, and teams that play tough games and lose are penalized. I don't buy that Bama, Ohio State, Baylor, and Stanford are undeserving of competing on the field of play.

Sports are inherently fluky and just because the ball bounced a certain way or they had an off day doesn't mean a team should be disqualified from proving themselves in a playoff format. Playoffs aren't perfect, but the current system (even the 4-team playoff) is worse.

I'd rather have a team win 3 games at the end of the season against great competition to be declared "champion" than what we have now.

cashman

Banned

If Auburn was deserving of going to the MNC then they wouldn't have lost to 3 loss LSU.

I'm done for next season.

Won't be participating much in the thread...

I feel the Rutgers program is in such a sad stage, that I can give them the New York Mets treatment without being called a "bad" fan. It's the only option when you are surrounded by bad play, and administrative incompetence.

I'm done for next season.

Won't be participating much in the thread...

I feel the Rutgers program is in such a sad stage, that I can give them the New York Mets treatment without being called a "bad" fan. It's the only option when you are surrounded by bad play, and administrative incompetence.

Bingo

It's completely pathetic, they want to do everything on a shoe string budget.

My biggest fear is becoming a reality. Rutgers will be like the Pirates/Astros where they inherit a bunch of money undeservedly and refuse to put the $$$$ into the program by going out and getting a real HC and Staff.

Florida State didn't play UNC this year. Boston College hurt them with the run, but FSU still won that game by 14. (Their closest game.)

BC hurt them with the run but that was mostly Andre Williams who leads division I in rushing. Granted, Tre Mason is a great rusher in his own right, but I don't expect Auburn to rush for half of the yards they rushed for against Missouri

Karl2177

Then what the fuck is the reason for even having a championship?

desh

Then what the fuck is the reason for even having a championship?

Competition. You can be the better team and still lose. That's why we watch the games. That's why we root for the underdog.

If Auburn was deserving of going to the MNC then they wouldn't have lost to 3 loss LSU.

Auburn deserved to win the SEC, and this year (and the last 7 years), it was enough to deserve to go to the MNC.

KingGondo

Banned
Sugar: Bama/Oklahoma

Sooners are going to get slaughtered...
Haha, Gundy got the last laugh!

Apparently we'll be playing Mizzou in the Cotton. Not a bad draw, but I wish we were playing a traditional SEC squad instead of one that was in our league less than 2 seasons ago.

andycapps

Duke is supposedly in the Chic-Fil-A bowl vs UGA. Yay, no partial crowd there.
Not anymore. Duke and A&M is the word. UGA vs Michigan in the Gator Bowl. So basically, rumors came full circle.

Watching last nights SEC championship made me feel even stronger that a healthy UGA could have won the conference championship. What a waste of a season. At least they'll still have Gurley next year.

Well yeah, but injuries are part of the game. Unfortunately we ended up with a ton of huge ones, and some big ones occurred at bad times of the season. Combine that with a mostly freshman defense and this season happens. Next year should be a good year.

ag-my001

Haha, Gundy got the last laugh!

Apparently we'll be playing Mizzou in the Cotton. Not a bad draw, but I wish we were playing a traditional SEC squad instead of one that was in our league less than 2 seasons ago.
I seem to recall Oklahoma feeling jilted that they got left out of the BCS last year. Cotton Bowl against a former conference member didn't work out too well for them as I remember.

KingGondo

Banned
I seem to recall Oklahoma feeling jilted that they got left out of the BCS last year. Cotton Bowl against a former conference member didn't work out too well for them as I remember.
I think our game against Mizzou will be tough. Definitely not downplaying them, they're a very good squad.

This is objectively false.

• Auburn's OOC in 2004 was Lousiana Monroe, Lousiana Tech, and Citadel. They played 7 home games, 4 away games, and the SECCG
  • Oklahoma's OOC in 2004 was Bowling Green, Houston, and Oregon. They played 6 home games, 4 away games, one neutral site game, and the Big12CCG.
  • USC's OOC in 2004 was @Virginia Tech, Colorado State, @BYU, and Notre Dame. They played 6 home games and 6 away games.
  • Auburn's schedule was either weaker or not considerably more difficult than OU's or USC's schedule. They literally played no one of consequence outside of the SEC.

2001 and 2003 were bigger screw jobs than Auburn not making the national championship game in 2004. The number 1 ranked team in both polls, USC, didn't go to the championship game in 2003. And in 2001 when Oregon actually won their conference, while Nebraska got blown out by Colorado in the last week. Nebraska went instead of Oregon. Auburn not being selected in 2004 doesn't even come close.

The conversation was about preseason rankings influencing the final position. What you presented is no guarantee that USC and Oklahoma would have been ranked 1-2 at year end like they were in the preseason and all year long. It presents an argument but is by NO means objective.

And using the word objective in conjunction with college football is especially hilarious.

Counter arguments to Auburn getting screwed the most:

1. Both of your examples were for 1-loss teams. They 100% controlled their own destiny. Auburn couldn't have done anything else.

2. USC was later deemed ineligible and had their title stripped. It especially hurts since they shouldn't have been allowed to play and now we have no actual winner that year.

Karl2177

Competition. You can be the better team and still lose. That's why we watch the games. That's why we root for the underdog.

Then have the "competition" in the regular season and leave the post-season championships to see who the best of the best is.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hearing Texas Tech versus Arizona State in the Holiday Bowl.

Not a bad draw. We will be underdogs but better ASU than Stanford; their offense represents everything that we are the worst at defending.

Would also be the first bowl game outside the state of Texas than any current players will have played in.

desh

Then have the "competition" in the regular season and leave the post-season championships to see who the best of the best is.

The best team still doesn't always win these either. The Patriots went 18-0 before losing to the Giants in the Super Bowl back in 2008. The Giants were 10-6 that season. The Patriots were the better team, but the Giants were the better team on that day.

This is why we need an 8-team playoff. Teams can skate by on easy schedules (like FSU) and have a chance at a title, and teams that play tough games and lose are penalized. I don't buy that Bama, Ohio State, Baylor, and Stanford are undeserving of competing on the field of play.

Sports are inherently fluky and just because the ball bounced a certain way or they had an off day doesn't mean a team should be disqualified from proving themselves in a playoff format. Playoffs aren't perfect, but the current system (even the 4-team playoff) is worse.

I'd rather have a team win 3 games at the end of the season against great competition to be declared "champion" than what we have now.

A playoff won't fix anything until we have scheduling reform. As long as SEC teams are scheduling nobodies in November or teams are making their CCG without playing the best teams in their conference there will be disputes. Unless you let half of division 1 in then the playoffs remain fraudulent.

I'm hearing LSU vs Iowa in the Outback.

As an Iowa fan who thought we were going to suck this year, I'm pretty happy with that.

Not sure that'll be much of a game, even with LSU's backup QB (who has looked decent in limited time). I could be wrong though. Congrats either way.

I like how ESPN has a story up right now that says, "Sources: Florida St., Auburn to play for title" as if that's some great insight at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom