• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where rankings are made up & SEC losses don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the last year the soon to be former BCS bowls pick who will appear. Will be done by a selection committee starting next year. In other words, historic conference tie ins may be no more. Okay with me.

?

The conference tie-ins are only getting stronger, it seems. There's no more ranking requirement. For people wondering why Clemson would get in this year, they could be 25th next year and get into the Orange if Florida State was in the playoff. The committee is only charged with selecting the top 4, the bowls will take who they want and/or are contractually obligated to take.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I don't hate other teams like most people here.

You clearly don't spend much time in these threads. This is the most civil online college football community I've seen.

There's only one group that the threads in general are at all hostile to. I'm guessing you weren't a consistent poster in this thread until your team was top 10 or 15?

pxleyes

Banned
The Couch Bowl is going to be a tough matchup for my Gators. I'm not sure how we will deal with the 1-2 punch of Velveeta McCormick and "Texas" Pete Nutellaford.

andycapps

?

The conference tie-ins are only getting stronger, it seems. There's no more ranking requirement. For people wondering why Clemson would get in this year, they could be 25th next year and get into the Orange if Florida State was in the playoff. The committee is only charged with selecting the top 4, the bowls will take who they want and/or are contractually obligated to take.
Just repeating what I've seen.

Bo Pelini hung up on the conference call about the Gator Bowl before they got to QA for him. I guess the call could have dropped, knowing him he just hung up.

On a similar note of the deep end, Duke versus the A&M Aggies. Not sure I'm ready for that, either.

Could we perhaps swap out A&M for the A&T Aggies?

(*North Carolina A&T, MEAC)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Just repeating what I've seen.

Bo Pelini hung up on the conference call about the Gator Bowl before they got to QA for him. I guess the call could have dropped, knowing him he just hung up.

read that on twitter too. Hope someone got it recorded and re playable somewhere.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
On a similar note of the deep end, Duke versus the A&M Aggies. Not sure I'm ready for that, either.

Could we perhaps swap out A&M for the A&T Aggies?

(*North Carolina A&T, MEAC)

But those Aggies beat App State this year.

We need Boone to have a much better game than he did yesterday.
Someone to step up for OT Perry Simmons, since he sustained a knee injury
aTm Defense to continue sucking
Johnny Football to go into ultimate don't give a fuck mode.
Duke defense to play reasonably well.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Let's just do a Twittersphere search for whatever hotel room Manziel is in right now signing autographs.

Well ahead of you. Got a stack of benjamins, a sharpie and about 30 8X10s of Johnny Football. Need the email address of someone in the infractions committee, and someone powerful in the media thats a Longhorn fan.

andycapps

I don't know if there's any truth to it, but I saw someone claim earlier that Bill Snyder lobbied against playing Nebraska because of Pelini threatening him previously. Like most things with Pelini, I'm never sure if anything is true, but it makes sense.

Lonestar

Some are out there wondering if Vandy will turn down the Birmingham bowl.

8-4 like UGA, beat UGA, gets a couple tiers down bowl game. That's Vandy for ya!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

8-4 like UGA, beat UGA, gets a couple tiers down bowl game. That's Vandy for ya!

Where is the stadium in Birmingham? I didn't see it around UAB's campus. That plays was a lot more hilly and all over the place than I thought it would be.

Lonestar

Where is the stadium in Birmingham? I didn't see it around UAB's campus. That plays was a lot more hilly and all over the place than I thought it would be.

due west of the downtown skyscrapers. Maybe 3-4 miles away. It's also on a hilly/plateau type part of birmingham. It's always been a rough neighborhood, but it has been years since I've been down there.

UAB doesn't have available space around the campus for a football stadium. For a little bit of time, our Corrupt Mayor wanted to put a dome stadium in the city, and I imagine it'd have been closer to UAB, and that's where they would play. But none of that's happening.

andycapps

Vandy won't travel as well as UGA. Then again, I don't know how well UGA and Nebraska fans will travel for a repeat game.

I just want to say for the record, im so fucking sick of seeing the word salt/salty. Overused word of the year.

awaits someone to sayim salty

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
due west of the downtown skyscrapers. Maybe 3-4 miles away. It's also on a hilly/plateau type part of birmingham. It's always been a rough neighborhood, but it has been years since I've been down there.

UAB doesn't have available space around the campus for a football stadium. For a little bit of time, our Corrupt Mayor wanted to put a dome stadium in the city, and I imagine it'd have been closer to UAB, and that's where they would play. But none of that's happening.

Your corrupt mayor needs to have that Vulcan statue shoot lasers. Whats awesome about it is its something you'd expect to see in a resident evil game. Had we gone to Vulcan park, I was sure I'd find two circular indentations for the eagle and wolf medals.

Lonestar

Your corrupt mayor needs to have that Vulcan statue shoot lasers. Whats awesome about it is its something you'd expect to see in a resident evil game. Had we gone to Vulcan park, I was sure I'd find two circular indentations for the eagle and wolf medals.

You already have better ideas for how to use that park, than anyone else has had in 50 years. Some kind of super luminescent light to shine down (either not lasers, cause that'd kill someone, or have it always aimed at a point that won't get in the way of people/cars/planes.)

Oh yeah, "Moon over Homewood"

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You already have better ideas for how to use that park, than anyone else has had in 50 years. Some kind of super luminescent light to shine down (either not lasers, cause that'd kill someone, or have it always aimed at a point that won't get in the way of people/cars/planes.)

My dad said that the statuch used to have a colored torch, green for no traffic fatalities, and red if there had been one reported. Given where it was located, I couldn't help but wonder if looking for the green torch while driving caused a few reds. Not to mention, kind of a bummer to have a glowing reminder that someone died.

Does anyone have a link to the drama behind the Chik-Fil-A bowl? Seems like there was some backroom dealing with the ACC?
Rumor has it that Swofford campaigned to have them take Duke vs I think Miami, and the CFA committee didn't want Duke. Not because of ticket sales. Duke did okay in Charlotte last year and sold most of their allotment for the ACC title game. Duke did not renew CFA's contract in one of the on campus dining halls, they also no longer serve sandwiches at Wallace Wade. The building they were housed in was remodeled and they didn't renew any of the fast food chains contracts, but this was right around the time of the anti gay issues that had hit the restaurant. Duke has stated that there was no agenda in not renewing their contract. Don't know if that was the reason. The CFA bowl had already sold out of its general tickets so Duke isn't going to hurt attendance that much.

Just heard on ESPN that FSU has been established as an 8.5 point favorite. Not surprised, although I thought it would be a bit higher.

The Iron Bowl started around 14 and ended up at 10.5. Supposedly the money is coming in heavy on FSU so I bet it gets up to 10.5, which is probably a better line to get even action.

I'm feeling like this might be like the Oregon game. Everyone expects a shootout but the teams come out tight and end up going way under.

The only scenario I don't see is a big Auburn win. I can envision the other three scenarios.

Oh yeah, "Moon over Homewood"

I used that park to get married :)

Of course, it was the wrong girl and it lasted less than two years. A real-life RE game would have been much better and cheaper!

B-Ham is awfully proud of their Vulcan statue. I went to it as a kid and remember the posters on the wall comparing it to the Statue of Liberty and other monuments to show how much taller it was than other US monuments/statues. They counted the hill its on as part of its height though. To me thats like counting the spire on the Freedom Tower.....and putting freedom tower on top of Mt. McKinley, and counting that as part of its height too. Needless to say, i did NOT buy a Vulcan T-shirt after visiting the attraction.

squicken

Rumor has it that Swofford campaigned to have them take Duke vs I think Miami, and the CFA committee didn't want Duke. Not because of ticket sales. Duke did okay in Charlotte last year and sold most of their allotment for the ACC title game. Duke did not renew CFA's contract in one of the on campus dining halls, they also no longer serve sandwiches at Wallace Wade. The building they were housed in was remodeled and they didn't renew any of the fast food chains contracts, but this was right around the time of the anti gay issues that had hit the restaurant. Duke has stated that there was no agenda in not renewing their contract. Don't know if that was the reason. The CFA bowl had already sold out of its general tickets so Duke isn't going to hurt attendance that much.

Thanks for the info. I had heard they initially wanted MIA so that explains it.

Well, we have three extra tickets for the Alamo Bowl so looks like I'm going afterall.

Last year the cheapest tickets were around $50 on stubhub, so if they're still around that price I probably wont go. If I can find some for $20 or $30 I may. San Antonio and the Riverwalk is fun to visit during the holidays.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just want to point out that this is the third season in a row where Tennessee has not made a bowl game. Meanwhile, Duke is playing in the Chick-Fil A bowl and Auburn is playing for the national championship a year after having a 3-9 season. Fuck you College Football gods!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
You really think so? I think Bama has the edge offensively. OU will hang defensively for a while but I just don't see our offensive doing too much if Bell isn't 100%.
If Bell is out, that might change things, but assuming teams are both healthy, I'm not sure how much fire we'll have. Things have been very quiet around the team for the past two weeks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels more like Utah in 2008 than Michigan State in 2010.

If Bell is out, that might change things, but assuming teams are both healthy, I'm not sure how much fire we'll have. Things have been very quiet around the team for the past two weeks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels more like Utah in 2008 than Michigan State in 2010.

Didn't Utah get off to a quick 21-0 start in that game? At least you won't have to worry about that scenario due to Oklahoma's sluggish offense. I think the game stays close for the first half, but Alabama pulls away in the 2nd half and ultimitely wins by 2 or 3 TD's

2. USC was later deemed ineligible and had their title stripped. It especially hurts since they shouldn't have been allowed to play and now we have no actual winner that year.

USC still won that year. Those guys still have their rings, too. Don't tell me you actually follow the NCAA's bullshit? No wait, of course you do, you're an Auburn fan. "If the NCAA says it, it must be true!"

I mean I know you're all "buddy-buddy" with the NCAA after the Cam thing but let's be real here. Everyone knows the penalties against USC were fucked, and that's why the NCAA is fighting tooth and nail to keep the documents sealed. Besides, USC would have trampled Oklahoma or Auburn, Reggie Bush or not.

Fresno State vs USC in the Las Vegas Bowl. Most exciting non bcs bowl

That's gonna be a weird one. USC with a single-game "head" coach, and you have to wonder if the players are going to be motivated or not. Then of course, it's a prequel to the opener of the 2014 season. Kinda funny.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Do you think they won't care? I can see that, but at the same time, a legacy team like Alabama isn't going to want to job to another legacy team in Oklahoma, particularly when they never play each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom